ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Ok, let's talk about what happened this weekend...)

The two Heisman winners were transfers and I believe that Cee Dee Lamb was a three star. OL that developed was because of Coaching not recruiting

I don't care how they got Baker and the midget, they got them. Lamb was a stud regardless of how some recruiting service rated him.

Lamb was born in Opelousas, Louisiana. Lamb lived in New Orleans until his family evacuated to Houston due to Hurricane Katrina.[1] Lamb attended John and Randolph Foster High School in Richmond, Texas. As a junior, he caught 57 receptions for 1,082 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As a senior in 2016, he had 98 receptions for 2,032 yards (fourth in state history), 33 receiving touchdowns (tied for second in state history) and 3 punt returns for touchdowns.[2] Lamb along with quarterback Alex Ramart, led the team to a 14-1 overall record, with the only loss coming to Temple High School in the 5A-D1 state semifinals. He received All-state, Houston Touchdown Club's Offensive Player of the Year and Houston Chronicle’s All-Greater Houston Football Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Lamb was rated a 4-Star recruit by 247Sports.com, Rivals.com and ESPN, and he had offers from 20 NCAA Division I teams, including schools with notable football programs such as the University of Alabama and University of Texas.[3][4][5][6] Lamb committed to the University of Oklahoma on July 25, 2016, to play college football.[7]

I don't care how they got Baker and the midget, they got them. Lamb was a stud regardless of how some recruiting service rated him.

Lamb was born in Opelousas, Louisiana. Lamb lived in New Orleans until his family evacuated to Houston due to Hurricane Katrina.[1] Lamb attended John and Randolph Foster High School in Richmond, Texas. As a junior, he caught 57 receptions for 1,082 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As a senior in 2016, he had 98 receptions for 2,032 yards (fourth in state history), 33 receiving touchdowns (tied for second in state history) and 3 punt returns for touchdowns.[2] Lamb along with quarterback Alex Ramart, led the team to a 14-1 overall record, with the only loss coming to Temple High School in the 5A-D1 state semifinals. He received All-state, Houston Touchdown Club's Offensive Player of the Year and Houston Chronicle’s All-Greater Houston Football Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Lamb was rated a 4-Star recruit by 247Sports.com, Rivals.com and ESPN, and he had offers from 20 NCAA Division I teams, including schools with notable football programs such as the University of Alabama and University of Texas.[3][4][5][6] Lamb committed to the University of Oklahoma on July 25, 2016, to play college football.[7]
I mean, I had him as a Top 6 player in the state.

Reactions: Fansong77
Want to know what Texas is recruiting against in the flesh?

"This week, I focused on seeing which was the best fit for me and my family and we kept talking about who can get me to the NFL. I've been talking it over with the coaches and it came down to Oklahoma being the best fit for me," Smith said.

NFL? Check.

You can’t even come close to making an argument that Texas is a place to facilitate getting to the NFL vs those schools. The sky isn’t falling, it fell a decade ago.

And just to add further perspective, Lamb was a 6.0 4-star (#72) per Rivals. Clearly in the group @Ketchum continues to hawk as the level of prospect (and above) that the elite teams get the lion's share.

This program doesn't play games on paper.

That is all a recruiting discussion involves is playing the game on paper rather than the field. If games were played on paper, Texas would finish in the top 2 in Big 12 every year but has only happened once in 9 seasons.

There's been a storm brewing that everyone has known is coming for months. The bit of thunder has arrived and we can't act like because we heard something we didn't know it was coming.
I agree. Maybe I'm too big picture here. It's one recruiting class. If they do what they have the potential to do this year, Tom and his coaching change decisions will be vindicated and next years class will be a great improvement. A lot of teams are competing nationally with much less.

That is all a recruiting discussion involves is playing the game on paper rather than the field. If games were played on paper, Texas would finish in the top 2 in Big 12 every year but has only happened once in 9 seasons.
Recruiting isn't a game on paper.

It's a math equation done on paper.

giphy.gif

lulz at the notion that Sergio Kindle was a "tweener"
Huh? He was build like a olb at 6 foot 2 240 pounds but didnt have the foot speed and body mechanics/movements to play olb and didnt have the length/build to play defensive end in the NFL. He was an explosive athlete that didnt have the body for the position he was meant to play. If he was 6 foot 5" he would still be in the NFL. He was best going down hill. Just like his hs coach and Muschamp said. If you remember Kindle had a very disappointing freshman and sophomore seasons at Texas. In fact people thought he might get moved to rb because he was a tweener/didnt know what position to put him at. That's why he got moved to de his junior and senior year and not olb.

A tweener is anyone that is under 6-3, 225 pounds. He's not going to be that.
Isnt that was Sergio Kindle was? He was 6 foot 2 220 lbs coming out of high school that was projected by everyone to play olb but couldnt so they moved him to de. That's the definition of tweener.

The sum of that equation is that Texas should have the talent to win the Big 12 if the coaching is equal. That was my point!

Huh? He was build like a olb at 6 foot 2 240 pounds but didnt have the foot speed and body mechanics/movements to play olb and didnt have the length/build to play defensive end in the NFL. He was an explosive athlete that didnt have the body for the position he was meant to play. If he was 6 foot 5" he would still be in the NFL. He was best going down hill. Just like his hs coach and Muschamp said. If you remember Kindle had a very disappointing freshman and sophomore seasons at Texas. In fact people thought he might get moved to rb because he was a tweener/didnt know what position to put him at. That's why he got moved to de his junior and senior year and not olb.
k.

I find that to be a very flimsy breakdown of Sergio Kindle's career as a prospect and college player.

Reactions: CenTex Horn
#6 is truly frightening and upsetting. I mean Jesus F. Christ, what in the hell is that supposed to be?

But Texas football has sucked for so long I'm just numb to it, let alone being numb to losing out on 5-stars in May in the middle of a pandemic. I didn't even notice this weekend happened.

A few expanded thoughts...

a. An outside linebacker at 6-2, 240 pounds is not a tweener.

b. Kindle wasn't recruited as a pure defensive end or that would have been a discussion.

c. He's a 3-4 OLB for the Ravens. For a lot of 4-3 teams, he's have been a guy that probably plays in a two point stance off the edge on passing downs,

d. His height has nothing to do with why he's not still in the NFL.

e. He did not have a disappointing season under Muschamp. He was misused before his arrival.

f. People thought he might be a running back because he was a bad ass running back in high school. No one thought that after he arrived at Texas.

g. Sergio was a hybrid LB/DE as a junior. It wasn't until his senior season that he played full-time DE at Texas, as evidenced by the fact that he was a first-team ALL-BIg 12 player at linebacker in 2008.

#6 is truly frightening and upsetting. I mean Jesus F. Christ, what in the hell is that supposed to be?

But Texas football has sucked for so long I'm just numb to it, let alone being numb to losing out on 5-stars in May in the middle of a pandemic. I didn't even notice this weekend happened.
I'm convinced a 110-pound woman made that plate.

Reactions: Dank Bank
I'm convinced a 110-pound woman made that plate.
It's phony to the point of being offensive and the idea that a highschooler would see that and feel any sort of positive emotion is delusional on a Ned Flanders level.

Frankly, I can't think of a better metaphor for Texas Athletics post-2010 than that tweet, sad to say.

It's phony to the point of being offensive and the idea that a highschooler would see that and feel any sort of positive emotion is delusional on a Ned Flanders level.

Frankly, I can't think of a better metaphor for Texas Athletics post-2010 than that tweet, sad to say.
I have no counter to that.

To win the Big 12...yes
To win CFP... No

DL: Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, V. Broughton, A. Collins, P. Dorbah, J. Sanders (2021), Jordan Thomas (2021)

CB: Green, Jamison, Adamora, Cook, J. Thompson, K. Watson, K. Crawford

S: Foster, Estell, Owens, Alford, Je Thompson

You forgot Ossai, who now sits in the DL room for positional meetings.

The 'Jack' position is a pass rusher who occasionally will drop in coverage (totally unlike Orlando) but mainly plays Jack DE role, particularly rusher the passer and sometimes holding the edge.

According to Ash they sit with the big'uns in DL meetings.

Ossai going to have a huge year. He's a pure stud. Just stay healthy.

Last edited:

The 'Jack' position is a pass rusher who occasionally will drop in coverage (totally unlike Orlando) but mainly plays Jack DE role, particularly rusher the passer and sometimes holding the edge.

I think he plays his way into the first round.

I left Ossai and Sterns out because they will be gone to NFL after this year. I was looking ahead 2 years+

Reactions: J Tull
ADVERTISEMENT