ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Ok, let's talk about what happened this weekend...)

I question this article. I did some research in rivals to get these recruiting facts: These are comparison of Texas and OU. Texas has an average rank of 8, 3.60 per recruit and a total 4 & 5 stars of 50 over the last 4 years including the current year. OU has an average rank of 12, 3.67 per recruit and a total of 4 & 5 stars of 47. During this time I would trade OU's record for ours. It is a lot more about coaching than it is about recruiting.
It's never just one or two things. The mistake that people make is trying to make it so.

Reactions: RLong68
Ketch,

I'm shocked by your comments and thoughts that Clayton Smith is a state top 10 prospect. He is a classic tweener olb/de that you mentioned a lot lately dont pan out. What makes Smith different compared to the others? He isnt an explosive athlete and isn't going to be great in coverage which is a huge liability in the big 12. He is built like a weak side defensive end but he isnt strong enough to dominate 6 foot 6 315 pound OT he will see in college. What makes him different? I'm just curious. I see him at a school like Auburn or Florida at OLB but not ou. That defensive system is terrible for what he brings to the table at ou. Bad decision imo. Plus his d coach is going to be gone in 1-2 years so....

Ketch,

I'm shocked by your comments and thoughts that Clayton Smith is a state top 10 prospect. He is a classic tweener olb/de that you mentioned a lot lately dont pan out. What makes Smith different compared to the others? He isnt an explosive athlete and isn't going to be great in coverage which is a huge liability in the big 12. He is built like a weak side defensive end but he isnt strong enough to dominate 6 foot 6 315 pound OT he will see in college. What makes him different? I'm just curious. I see him at a school like Auburn or Florida at OLB but not ou. That defensive system is terrible for what he brings to the table at ou. Bad decision imo. Plus his d coach is going to be gone in 1-2 years so....

@Ketchum's DE "tweener" frame has always been 6'3" and shorter. Not 6'4". And for a guy you were excited about and swore was going to be a commit to Texas and the talk to OU was ludicrous, you sure have changed your tune on him rather quickly.

Ketch,

Smith is a bad ass playmaking sumbitch.

You're wrong.

Reactions: 4skinz
@Ketchum's DE "tweener" frame has always been 6'3" and shorter. Not 6'4". And for a guy you were excited about and swore was going to be a commit to Texas and the talk to OU was ludicrous, you sure have changed your tune on him rather quickly.
Yeah, talking bad about him now feels rather disingenuous.

There's nothing Tweener-ish about 6-4, 220 pounds as a high school junior.

I question this article. I did some research in rivals to get these recruiting facts: These are comparison of Texas and OU. Texas has an average rank of 8, 3.60 per recruit and a total 4 & 5 stars of 50 over the last 4 years including the current year. OU has an average rank of 12, 3.67 per recruit and a total of 4 & 5 stars of 47. During this time I would trade OU's record for ours. It is a lot more about coaching than it is about recruiting.
But you have to look at where their best position groups are compared to ours.
QB-two Heisman winners
OL. several to the NFL
WR-Cee Dee Lamb

Texas isn’t trending for some guys they easily could have had without last season happening.

Texas is looking pretty good for a couple of DB recruits but outside of that it’s not looking up.

WR is a spot that should get people’s attention. We have 10 offers. 10. Yet, none of those guys have committed. Texas has Card and Milroe is committed. Texas has guys that can throw coming down the pike. Sorry but sound the alarm on that. Texas shouldn’t have that kind of struggle with 10 guys within your border. You reach for an OOS kid that is pretty easily found in a state with the best spread offenses being run in high school football.

Herd Hand is whiffing on Olineman. He might get the Brockermeyer’s but dadgum we have every advantage in our corner.

Samples leaving was a blow whether people say it or not. I think Texas has Wheaton, Davis and Byrd if he’s still here.

Byrd 5.9 80
Davis 6.0 23
Wheaton 6.1 7

What a narrative changer that is. That’s a rainmaker. 3 nat 100 commits including a 5 star.

Last edited:
Smith is a bad ass playmaking sumbitch.

You're wrong.
Ketch, I agree with you that he is an awesome playmaking baller. I never said he wasn't. But that doesnt mean he isnt a classic tweener. Convince me he isn't a tweener olb/de. I think he is very good but top 10 this year in Texas is too high imo. Top 25-30 yes...top 10 is a little bit of a reach because of his tweener olb/de position with his build. You think he is gifted to line up at olb and cover rbs out of the backfield and te running seem routes? He doesnt have the foot speed to do that. Today's olb are different. He needs to spin down to de where he can attack. Not olb.

Herd Hand is whiffing on Olineman. He might get the Brockermeyer’s but dadgum we have every advantage in our corner.

The Brockermeyer's are to Herman what Greg Brown is to Shaka Smart. Every possible advantage you would want in a recruitment but Brown had the added one of location. Unfortunately for Herman, unlike Greg Brown who was only making a 7-month decision because's he's a slam-dunk lottery pick in '21, the Brockermeyers have to make at least a 3-5 year decision. And that obviously doesn't bode well for Herm's chances.

Yeah, talking bad about him now feels rather disingenuous.

There's nothing Tweener-ish about 6-4, 220 pounds as a high school junior.
I watched more film of him. He is bigtime. But he is the definition of a tweener. 6 foot 4" olb in the big 12? Kid will most likely be 6 foot 4" 250-260 pounds after a few years in colleg . That's a weak side defensive end build. Not an olb covering running backs and te running seam routes. Just my opinion. I love him as a player. Never said I didnt. Just said he is a classic tweener that Ketch says always burned him in the past. Just looking for an explanation of why he is different. That's all. Have a great Monday!

Ketch, I agree with you that he is an awesome playmaking baller. I never said he wasn't. But that doesnt mean he isnt a classic tweener. Convince me he isn't a tweener olb/de. I think he is very good but top 10 this year in Texas is too high imo. Top 25-30 yes...top 10 is a little bit of a reach because of his tweener olb/de position with his build. You think he is gifted to line up at olb and cover rbs out of the backfield and te running seem routes? He doesnt have the foot speed to do that. Today's olb are different. He needs to spin down to de where he can attack. Not olb.
define classic tweener because I've done research on this.

define classic tweener because I've done research on this.
To me...a prospect that plays one position but might have to play another position in college because of his build and lack of athleticism and foot speed. Current build can play a specific position and dominate but will have to adjust his skillset in college do to body changing due to testosterone in 16-23 year old men. Ketch I think your amazing and you are important to me. I think your flat out bigtime and always praise you to others. I just think Clayton Smith is a tweener. 6 foot 4" 220 lb olb when they are only 16 years old...those types turn into defensive ends. I've been following Texas recruiting since 2001. I've seen so many prospects like Smith have difficulty in college at that olb/de position with similar build . Maybe I'll be wrong who knows. I know that's why you didnt have Von Miller as a state top 3 prospect which obviously you should but he was a tweener olb/de which makes sense with your ranking of him out of hs. Von Miller was the second most violent prospect I ever saw film on behind Ernie Sims. Smith is great, but he isnt in the same world of that violence on the field imo.

My 3rd favorite prospect ever out of hs is Sergio Kindle. Talk about classic tweener. An olb that didnt have the foot speed or body movements to play a true olb position. They moved him to weak side defensive end and he did what he did best. Attack the edges and get after the qb. That's Clayton Smith without the violence that Sergio Kindle and Von Miller had imo Ketch.

My 3rd favorite prospect ever out of hs is Sergio Kindle. Talk about classic tweener. An olb that didnt have the foot speed or body movements to play a true olb position. They moved him to weak side defensive end and he did what he did best. Attack the edges and get after the qb. That's Clayton Smith without the violence that Sergio Kindle and Von Miller had imo Ketch.
Do you really think competent college coaches are going to be asking him to go in coverage very often? He may do it 20% of the time and most of the time in the flats or TE's he can match up with athletically. Length helps a lot in coverage. Don't have to run a 4.5 to match up with TE's.

No.1 OL - Tommy Brockermeyer - Fort Worth All Saints (50-percent)
No.2 RB - Camar Wheaton - Garland Lakeview Centennial (45-percent)
No.6 OL - Bryce Foster - Katy Taylor (40-percent)
No.9 OL - Savion Byrd - Duncanville (35-percent)
No.10 DE - Shermar Turner - DeSoto (50-percent)
No.14 DB - J.D. Coffey - Kennedale (75-percent)
No.15 OL - James Brockermeyer - Fort Worth All Saints (50-percent)
No.17 DT - Marcus Burris - Texarkana Pleasant Grove (5-percent)
No.19 RB - L.J. Johnson - Cy Fair (40-percent)
No.20 DB - Deuce Harmon - Denton Guyer (30-percent)
No.22 DB - Latrell McCutchin - Austin LBJ (0-percent)
No.23 WR - J. Michael Sturdivant - Flower Mound Marcus (0-percent)
Do you foresee anybody below 50 percent committing to Texas?

Do you really think competent college coaches are going to be asking him to go in coverage very often? He may do it 20% of the time and most of the time in the flats or TE's he can match up with athletically. Length helps a lot in coverage. Don't have to run a 4.5 to match up with TE's.
Well if he is an olb that is going to be ranked in this years state top 10 he better be able to do it all. This year the state is stacked. Like I mentioned earlier he us a poor man's Sergio kindle. But then you better gave him at de and not olb. These rivals rankings are based on nfl draft potential. Not college production. Like I said, the kid is awesome. Just a classic tweener due to his build and lack of foot speed and body movements at the olb position. Hes a de all the way imo. Kid is 16 years ol . Wait till he is 22. Kid is going to be 250-260. Look at Prince Dorbah. He already went from 210 to 230 and he hasn't had his first college football practice yet. Kids grow so much from junior and year year in hs by the time they are juniors and seniors in college.

The only sport/entertainment so far that really appears to need crowds is wrestling. It’s basically unwatchable without the fans. However, UFC is just fine without them. It certainly won’t impact my football viewing experience.

Set, huh?

To win the Big 12...yes
To win CFP... No

DL: Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, V. Broughton, A. Collins, P. Dorbah, J. Sanders (2021), Jordan Thomas (2021)

CB: Green, Jamison, Adamora, Cook, J. Thompson, K. Watson, K. Crawford

S: Foster, Estell, Owens, Alford, Je Thompson

But you have to look at where their best position groups are compared to ours.
QB-two Heisman winners
OL. several to the NFL
WR-Cee Dee Lamb
The two Heisman winners were transfers and I believe that Cee Dee Lamb was a three star. OL that developed was because of Coaching not recruiting

The two Heisman winners were transfers and I believe that Cee Dee Lamb was a three star. OL that developed was because of Coaching not recruiting

Lamb was a 4-star. Their entire OL were 4-stars coming out of HS. Yes, they were developed. They were also no less than solid to great prospects coming out of HS.

"As of May 6, there are 627 committed recruits in the current class of rising seniors (class of 2021). As of May 6 of last year, there were 302 committed recruits (class of 2020). As of May 6 two years ago, there were 243. As of May 6 three years ago, there were 299." - Bud Elliott. Look for a large decommitment season or our greatest fear, Texas losing out on most of their 4/5-Star pursuits as they decide not to wait on Texas' W/L column this year.

To me...a prospect that plays one position but might have to play another position in college because of his build and lack of athleticism and foot speed. Current build can play a specific position and dominate but will have to adjust his skillset in college do to body changing due to testosterone in 16-23 year old men. Ketch I think your amazing and you are important to me. I think your flat out bigtime and always praise you to others. I just think Clayton Smith is a tweener. 6 foot 4" 220 lb olb when they are only 16 years old...those types turn into defensive ends. I've been following Texas recruiting since 2001. I've seen so many prospects like Smith have difficulty in college at that olb/de position with similar build . Maybe I'll be wrong who knows. I know that's why you didnt have Von Miller as a state top 3 prospect which obviously you should but he was a tweener olb/de which makes sense with your ranking of him out of hs. Von Miller was the second most violent prospect I ever saw film on behind Ernie Sims. Smith is great, but he isnt in the same world of that violence on the field imo.
A tweener is anyone that is under 6-3, 225 pounds. He's not going to be that.

lulz at the notion that Sergio Kindle was a "tweener"

Reactions: DrothmanII
To win the Big 12...yes
To win CFP... No

DL: Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, V. Broughton, A. Collins, P. Dorbah, J. Sanders (2021), Jordan Thomas (2021)

CB: Green, Jamison, Adamora, Cook, J. Thompson, K. Watson, K. Crawford

S: Foster, Estell, Owens, Alford, Je Thompson
This program doesn't play games on paper.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Lamb was a 4-star. Their entire OL were 4-stars coming out of HS. Yes, they were developed. They were also no less than solid to great prospects coming out of HS.
Lamb was a borderline five-star.

I mean... I just don't get it...

Reactions: RLong68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT