ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Ok, let's talk about what happened this weekend...)

Until we can get five stars and 6.0 four stars like the big boys on a consistent basis this is what we are.. a team thatll average 8 wins a year and pop 10 every so often.

Herman has to win big

An Aggie acquaintance who was the captain on one of their teams in the 60’s said when the official tossed the coin before the kickoff of their game against Texas that the official asked the Texas Captain, who won the toss, whether Texas wanted to kick or receive that Bob McKay responded “we don’t care”

That is the Texas that I want again.

Reactions: Rotarran9116
until we get a coaching staff that actually DEVELOPS players while they are here, then this is what we are (7-8 wins a year).
It seems like it has been so long since we were the Joneses.

Reactions: J Tull
You forgot HC.
What do the kids like more about the other schools than Texas? What besides winning 9-10 games a year? We got some players drafted and will have more next year. We must land Brockermeyers a top RB, Turner, Coffey, and Burris or top DT, WR Jackson, and Miller. After looking at the Crystal Balls which are not correct all the time but a lot of the time they are. They have Turner to Alabama, Wheaton to OU, Harmon to A&M, OL Roberts LSU, Leigh OL to OU, OL Fatheree to A&M, and Burris DT to OU. So that sounds like we end up with the OL Miller, S Coffey and that is it. I sure hope they were all wrong.

Ou's two pledges moved their class ranking up to number 3 in the conference behind only Texas and Baylor.

To be honest, it's not surprising that we are struggling to recruit offensively when you don't have a single rain maker on the recruiting trail on that side of the ball. Add in we just came off a dud of a season, kids haven't been able to get on campus, and these kids can't see what the offensive will look like outside of some video clips and you have a recipe for disaster.

I think at this point the most disappointing aspect of the offensive side of the ball is Herb Hand looking like he will strike out on basically his entire top 10 targets outside of Conner. I haven't expected Drayton to do much with LJ or Wheaton, so that one doesn't surprise me that he can't get it done. Andre Coleman was a meh hire. Jay Bouleware was another hire that didn't really move the needle too much for me, more of a decent to solid hire.

At least Herman did well at the OC spot with Yurcich.

To be honest, it's not surprising that we are struggling to recruit offensively when you don't have a single rain maker on the recruiting trail on that side of the ball. Add in we just came off a dud of a season, kids haven't been able to get on campus, and these kids can't see what the offensive will look like outside of some video clips and you have a recipe for disaster.

I think at this point the most disappointing aspect of the offensive side of the ball is Herb Hand looking like he will strike out on basically his entire top 10 targets outside of Conner. I haven't expected Drayton to do much with LJ or Wheaton, so that one doesn't surprise me that he can't get it done. Andre Coleman was a meh hire. Jay Bouleware was another hire that didn't really move the needle too much for me, more of a decent to solid hire.

At least Herman did well at the OC spot with Yurcich.
Not stressing the importance of recruiting with his hires was always going to come at a cost.

Reactions: darrenj
Not stressing the importance of recruiting with his hires was always going to come at a cost.

It's simply amazing to me that you get your shot to be the "man" at your Dream School and you are given a blank check to hire a staff, only to decide on such underwhelming hires at so many spots..........TWICE.

It's simply amazing to me that you get your shot to be the "man" at your Dream School and you are given a blank check to hire a staff, only to decide on such underwhelming hires at so many spots..........TWICE.
I feel like we're about to find out how important good coordinator hires really are.

I feel like we're about to find out how important good coordinator hires really are.

I would argue we saw that last year with LSU. Orgeron wasn't a can't miss Head Coaching candidate. However when he finally started running the spread and got Joe Brady, to go along with an elite DC........well boom goes the dynamite.

I am at least confident we will be a better coached team at the OC and DC position.

I would argue we saw that last year with LSU. Orgeron wasn't a can't miss Head Coaching candidate. However when he finally started running the spread and got Joe Brady, to go along with an elite DC........well boom goes the dynamite.

I am at least confident we will be a better coached team at the OC and DC position.
Oh, we did.

But, I meant we as in the Texas Longhorns football universe.

There's a tug of war or results on the line here and we're going to remember in future years which side of this gamble proved most important.

Strong was a disaster, but he's not the reason for Herman's standing in year four in Austin.

I haven't been following the board or recruiting for a couple of months. Has anyone mentioned Strong as the reason for Herman's lack of success on the field and in recruiting lately? I haven't really seen Strong's name in the blame game for around a year or so myself.

I haven't been following the board or recruiting for a couple of months. Has anyone mentioned Strong as the reason for Herman's lack of success on the field and in recruiting lately? I haven't really seen Strong's name in the blame game for around a year or so myself.
Yes, it still gets mentioned.

Oh, we did.

But, I meant we as in the Texas Longhorns football universe.

There's a tug of war or results on the line here and we're going to remember in future years which side of this gamble proved most important.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

Hell, I was really excited myself. I guess desperate people jump to desperate conclusions. Haha.

Well ironically I haven’t given up on him yet and I’ve had my doubts from the jump. But he was also the best option available at the time so it’s hard to be too upset about the hire. One thing is guaranteed...he sure as shit isn’t DKR.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
Until we can get five stars and 6.0 four stars like the big boys on a consistent basis this is what we are.. a team thatll average 8 wins a year and pop 10 every so often.

Herman has to win big now and in 2021.
It doesn't work like that.. Reason number one is because talent development isn’t a part of the equation. Caden Sterns was a 5 star.. Did he look like one last season? No. And he wasn't the only one.

Oklahoma St has recruited 86 3 star players in the last 5 years (Classes 2016-2020).
Yet they are a borderline way too early top ten team and a dark horse favorite to win the conference. Also, they only recruited 9 4 star players during that window (2016-2020).

Reason number 2 is injuries. Your 4 and 5 stars often have their effectiveness limited by injuries

The 3rd and final reason is because your team consists of 5 classes of players. So if you have one off season you can compensate by developing the older and younger players.

I have a hard time get excited or panicked about anything Longhorn Sports.
I hope everyone and their families are safe and well. Blessings to all.

You're putting the cart before the horse. You've already marking the new 7 coaches as failures before they've had the opportunity to even prove themselves.
It is wrong of you to do that.

You're putting the cart before the horse. You've already marking the new 7 coaches as failures before they've had the opportunity to even prove themselves.
It is wrong of you to do that.

1. I didn't say every single hire is bad. I have commended the OC and DC hires in this thread.
2. In some cases I don't believe you have to wait for a finished product to recognize a few bad hires, whether it be their lack of coaching, development, or recruiting chops.
3. If you are all for the wait and see approach, I don't fault you for that.
4. I do think we will be a better coached team this year both defensively and offensively because of the OC and DC hires.

1. I didn't say every single hire is bad. I have commended the OC and DC hires in this thread.
2. In some cases I don't believe you have to wait for a finished product to recognize a few bad hires, whether it be their lack of coaching, development, or recruiting chops.
4. I do think we will be a better coached team this year both defensively and offensively because of the OC and DC hires.
The coordinator hires were boss.

The assistant coaching hires were not made with recruiting fully in mind and there are eventual consequences for that, which we're starting to see some of.

Reactions: St. Vince 4 Prez

The assistant coaching hires were not made with recruiting fully in mind and there are eventual consequences for that, which we're starting to see some of.

You and I have been on the same wave length as of late. Get out of my head Ketch!!! ;)

giphy.gif

The position coaches were hired because of their proven development of players.

If the position coaches do a great job of development that will eventually help recruiting, won’t it?

The position coaches were hired because of their proven development of players.

Crazy thought, but what if you hire position coaches that are not only great developers of talent, but also great recruiters? Last time I checked it isn't a one or the other type of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT