ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Only Tom Herman knows the answer to this...)

I stopped watching the oscars after Shawshank didn’t win for any of the 7 categories it was nominated for....

yeah I get it. It was up against Gump and Pulp Fiction that year, but I don’t stop down and watch those films every time they are on. That tells me how great that film was...
I stop and watch all three of those films.

Reactions: Cdun
Wood drastically -- Wood 'drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth.' You got that from Vickers, 'Work in Essex County,' page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you...is that your thing? You come into a bar. You read some obscure passage and then pretend...you pawn it off as your own idea just to impress some girls and embarrass my friend? See the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One: don't do that. And two: You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fu$#in' education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.
What does the "One: don't do that" mean?

#5 - Erwin Center at 6 pm -- Karen vs Gino. Team has been slumping -- especially Brooke McCarty. We must improve our game tonight or risk looking like "sad wannabes" in front of more than 10k people. Let's step up our game!!

It was baby improvement. The personnel on this team creates limits.
People keep saying this... but even when we had our supposed best players on the field, our offense still sucked.

We went 1-2 with our AA Connor Williams in the lineup. Our offense looked just as terrible with the OT they claim was a huge loss all season.

We got the ball in AMAZING territory all night long, and somehow OUR PUNTER won player of the game. That alone should have gotten someone fired. If you're saying that shows improvement... then IDK what to say.

Reactions: OleBraach
b. Reassign Derek Warehime within the program and commit whatever money it takes to hiring a world-class offensive line coach. Hell, I'd even call Les Miles and make him tell me no. In my 24 hours as Herman, I'm going to err on the side of ambition.

c. Hire the best special teams coach money can buy.

My goal would be to come into next season with elite leaders in all three phases of the game, while improving the offensive line coaching by leaps and bounds.
==================================================

Ketch I might well be wrong on this, and if I am just ignore this. But before last year didn't you say that Herman had an "elite" staff? I know I read it somewhere here and I don't think it was from John Q. Poster.

#5 - Erwin Center at 6 pm -- Karen vs Gino. Team has been slumping -- especially Brooke McCarty. We must improve our game tonight or risk looking like "sad wannabes" in front of more than 10k people. Let's step up our game!!
Guards have to make shots tonight.

Reactions: DrHorn98
People keep saying this... but even when we had our supposed best players on the field, our offense still sucked.

We went 1-2 with our AA Connor Williams in the lineup. Our offense looked just as terrible with the OT they claim was a huge loss all season.

We got the ball in AMAZING territory all night long, and somehow OUR PUNTER won player of the game. That alone should have gotten someone fired. If you're saying that shows improvement... then IDK what to say.
There were wrinkles in the play-calling that represented improvement.

b. Reassign Derek Warehime within the program and commit whatever money it takes to hiring a world-class offensive line coach. Hell, I'd even call Les Miles and make him tell me no. In my 24 hours as Herman, I'm going to err on the side of ambition.

c. Hire the best special teams coach money can buy.

My goal would be to come into next season with elite leaders in all three phases of the game, while improving the offensive line coaching by leaps and bounds.
==================================================

Ketch I might well be wrong on this, and if I am just ignore this. But before last year didn't you say that Herman had an "elite" staff? I know I read it somewhere here and I don't think it was from John Q. Poster.
Too many unproven guys at a high level to call it an elite staff going into last year.

That's not going to happen, but that's the kind of ambition I like.

With a recent 100K raise Bedenbaugh only makes $535K through January 2019. With Warehime at $400K, if DW is not retained and Texas adds $235K, Texas can offer Bedenbaugh a 100K raise to leave oblivion for Athens on the Colorado (Austin). Texas goes from questionable solid coaching to not much doubt elite.

Consistent with the moves you suggested making. If nothing changes, nothing changes, should be the approach in year two. Nobody gets forever to turn things around.

Reactions: DrHorn98
what was annoying?
II honestly can not recall. But I do recall finding her character one I simply didn't like. Again, not that I enjoyed her horrific demise. Great movie as I recall.

Simply do not understand the affection for the Texas Bowl play calling, especially in tagging Herman as the reason for the offensive performance. Comments on this board indicate some sort of improvement was seen due to Herman's increased input (OB view) in the offensive play calling.

Texas didn't even hit 300 yards and punted an awful (!) 11 times. Take off your blinders. This was not an improvement.

There is a belief on another site that (based on charting plays and film/in person accounts of Tom Herman during the game) that Herman was abnormally vocal and demonstrative during offensive play calling activity for the first 2-3 series for each QB (basically the 1st quarter), then it subsided until the fourth quarter when it became apparent we were trying to kill clock. He apparently resumed the activity level of headset interaction/communication that wasn't present since early in the game.

The theory is that Herman oversaw the scripting of both QBs' pre-packaged plays (based on strengths/weaknesses) and drove decisions on those first couple of series from the scripts based on down/distance, then took control when the scope of the game narrowed. I believe the research showed that play calls and personnel distribution in 1st quarter vs Mizzou deviated from the regular season and rest of the game (post pre-scripted packages). Once the scripts were finished, the calls/distribution mix leveled off similar to previous levels.

We need a QB, a bunch of OL, a TE, a RB and some DL. That is a lot of parts missing from that foundation. Basketball needs less guys. You also don't have to run the field or close to it to make the playoffs.

We also have a coach that might be timid about doing what needs to be done because he said it was too hard to do it. If Herman goes back to hands off approach or doesn't do something with the OL, I don't know how you can say the football team has a better foundation. Maybe it has more support from the AD and donors but I don't know if it is really in better shape or has a better foundation.

The baseball team is definitely closer to CWS than either of the teams though. You at least got that right.

Clueless

So after all of these posts, all is good with the Longhorn Football Team.....:rolleyes:

LOL about as clueless as you are at Astros baseball?

We have no OL. That is a fact. Our starting RB for most of the season is Porter. We need a RB. We have 0 signed so far. We need a QB. Whether that is one on campus or not is unknown. We need a TE. That is a fact. We don't have one on roster unless it is the freshman. We have 1 signed. We need DL guys. We have 0 signed. We need to replace a bit in the secondary but we have a lot signed. Our LBs are good and our WR has a lot of depth. We just lost our AA punter and still need a kicker (have both signed).

This isn't really a great foundation if you ask me.

II honestly can not recall. But I do recall finding her character one I simply didn't like. Again, not that I enjoyed her horrific demise. Great movie as I recall.
I thought she played the lonely wife in a new town pretty well.

There is a belief on another site that (based on charting plays and film/in person accounts of Tom Herman during the game) that Herman was abnormally vocal and demonstrative during offensive play calling activity for the first 2-3 series for each QB (basically the 1st quarter), then it subsided until the fourth quarter when it became apparent we were trying to kill clock. He apparently resumed the activity level of headset interaction/communication that wasn't present since early in the game.

The theory is that Herman oversaw the scripting of both QBs' pre-packaged plays (based on strengths/weaknesses) and drove decisions on those first couple of series from the scripts based on down/distance, then took control when the scope of the game narrowed. I believe the research showed that play calls and personnel distribution in 1st quarter vs Mizzou deviated from the regular season and rest of the game (post pre-scripted packages). Once the scripts were finished, the calls/distribution mix leveled off similar to previous levels.
The number I've heard is that he was directly involved in about 75-percent of the playcalling.

Glad to hear you agree about Oldham. He was spectacular. Lewis was great as Lincoln, but who the hell really knows what Lincoln was like.

Be curious to hear what you think about the Post. Good movie, but I just didn't think was very tight. With such star power in front of and behind the camera, I thought everyone kinda phoned it in.

LOL about as clueless as you are at Astros baseball?

We have no OL. That is a fact. Our starting RB for most of the season is Porter. We need a RB. We have 0 signed so far. We need a QB. Whether that is one on campus or not is unknown. We need a TE. That is a fact. We don't have one on roster unless it is the freshman. We have 1 signed. We need DL guys. We have 0 signed. We need to replace a bit in the secondary but we have a lot signed. Our LBs are good and our WR has a lot of depth. We just lost our AA punter and still need a kicker (have both signed).

This isn't really a great foundation if you ask me.

We didn't ask.

The number I've heard is that he was directly involved in about 75-percent of the playcalling.

I'm trying to think of how this looks like in terms of practice/game plan/in-game. I can wrap my arms around the pre-scripted/end of game concept. Not sure how the 75% idea looks like in real life.

Awesome write up! Really enjoyed the buy and sell portion, and I usually skip that section. I like how you are thinking regarding how this class finishes out.

You realize the team was incredibly short-handed, right?

I realize they were up by 12 and lost - if short handed was a factor, how did they ever manage to be up by 12 inside of 5 minutes to play. It was kind of like the Cal game two years ago with Chuck - We had just won the big OT game against ND, things were looking like progress was being made - then Cal happened - the moment when I knew the ceiling for the staff was low and it was time to bring Chucks tenure to a conclusion. Saturday kind of hit me the same way with Shaka - huge win against TCU and when progress is being made, you get up by 12 on a mediocre team and you finish the job. When progress isn't being made, you crap the bed and somehow, manage to lose the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT