Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Permission to Dream Colossally)

Do you know who the No. 4 quarterback in the country is in passing efficiency?
What was his rating vs ULM? I'm guessing 140ish.
He's clearly a good player
Is he? All that preseason hype from "inside the building" is why it's hard to take any of that seriously. He's playing for his NFL future and he just dissappears.
3T. Silas Bolden (11)
Bolden made two beautiful catches laying out 100 % horizontally., that dude is fearless. He needs to be right there with Bond as WR1b.

He needs to get on his knees and beg for forgiveness for the sideline hijinks from last night.
Damn, missed it. What happened?

5 more flips? Interesting.

There is nothing to gain playing Ewers vs MSU if he's not 100%. Only downside. Suit him up in case of emergency.

Mizzou is a fraud. They don't have the talent top to bottom.

I think I’m now to a point where it would be a bit of a disappointment if Sark doesn’t win a NC. And that’s not a slam, it’s because his ceiling has raised in my mind. I think he’s one of the top overall program builders left in the game (still needs to slam the door on that but…) but when I look at the current landscape, he’s one of a small handful that are the top candidates to win one, and he’s not near retirement
Make Simpson a requirement!!!

Reactions: WhatAboutEggs
Big is one of my top 5 movies. I'm so proud to be a 20+ year subscriber to a message board owned by a man that puts that as Hank's top film.

Money Pit... That scene where Hanks is falling through the floor and the subsequent disaster is one of the greatest comedy scenes ever. I don't care if people make fun of me for saying this, but I was quite close to peeing myself the first time I saw that. I was laughing like a dolphin.

I don't bring any of this up as a suggestion that Manning should start over Quinn Ewers (he shouldn't), but I do bring it up to remind everyone of the type of talent we're talking about.

Take a look at the stats that have been compiled by both Ewers and Manning thus far this season ...

@Ketchum

Here’s what I saw… (As talented as Arch is)
He threw into triple coverage instead of
“wide-open receivers” multiple times… why?!?

Lie to me and tell me my eyes are lying?!?

Arch is going to be good… REALLY GOOD!!!

But Quinn is better, period.

Another great TTFTW!

I love watching this team and to say I’m excited about watching the Arch to Wingo connection next year is a massive understatement.

But are these four of the worst offenses we’ve started the season against in long time?

I’m happy that we are going to have a run of confidence going into the GA game but part of me still worries that we don’t know enough about this team yet. I’m probably just trying to keep my expectations in check.

Lastly I applaud the undertaking of trying to rank a guys movies when that guy just cracks our so many great movies. But my cents has A Man Called Otto and The Green Mile listed somewhere in the discussion and SPR has to be number 1.

Also… You’ve Got Mail?!?! Cmon man!

With Catch Me If You Can and Bridge of Spies on the honorable mentions list, I fully intended to quibble with your Hank’s list, but, reading through the top 10, I found it hard to “demote” any of those. If I’m picking nits, I’d put Money Pit (regardless of that being a great flick) against either of those 2, which are 2 of my favorite movies. “Knock - Knock”

I think the entire process of what’s going on with the team is the best case scenario for Arch and the Manning family. Quinn is QB1, period, end of story. As we all know, Freshman (and RS-Fr), even those named Manning, have growing pains during their first year leading their teams. The fact that Arch is getting the opportunity to get through his growing pains in a “sub” year with extensive live reps, … wow, as stoked as I am about the team this year, I am drooling with orange Kool-Aid even daring to think about next year. My preference would be to start Quinn against Miss St, and then bring Arch in at the second series in the 3rd quarter. Test out Quinn’s obliques and knock some rust off, and then hand the reins to Arch to get more of his growing pains out, sharpening him for QB1 in 2025 for a two-peat - dare I say.

I really love this team. I have rooted for Sark since he took over. He has such a great redemptive personal story. I like his attitude towards life now, and respect his ability to unite the players and get that love-of-brother mentality instilled across the team. Having lived through the entitled, mentally weak era of Longhorn football, I LOVE seeing a first team, second team, third team, practice squad, and walk-ons full of dogs! And, dogs that love each other, and look on the field like they will put everything on the line to back-up their brothers. This is the team that I’ve been waiting for my entire life as a Longhorn grad and fan. Regardless of whether they get it all this year or not, I love this team and have such high hopes for the future.

Eventually, Manning will improve his completion percentage (Ewers has gone from 58.1% to 69.0% to 73.4% in the last three seasons), but if his downfield aggression remains at an elite level, you can get a true picture of what the Texas offense might transform into in the next two seasons once Ewers is gone and Manning takes over for good.

Future elite HS and Portal WRs be like…

Do Want Scooby Doo GIF

Reactions: txfight and Ketchum
... We're 1/3 of the way into the season and Trey Moore still doesn't have a tackle for loss, a sack or quarterback hit. He's clearly a good player, but he's not remotely close to being a difference maker,
Im sure there’s a lesson here somewhere regarding where to search for elite D1 talent in the Portal. Maybe it’s still early 🤷🏻‍♂️

Forrest Gump thinks that list is dumb 😉

We want Georgia to come in undefeated, don’t we?

Reactions: txfight
This is easily the second best team. If VY didn’t exist, it would easily be the best team. 2008 was a far cry from this team overall. It was gritty with a great QB and some great WR.

This team is DOMINANT.

This team is BETTER player for player than 2005. VY is the only difference.

Now they have to do it on the field.
Offense:
VY, the entire OL (except J Scott..:Banks over him), David Thomas (best UT TE I’ve ever seen). Ramonce Taylor was a freak talent too….particularly for his role. RB is a wash.
And VY behind that line…not a chance anyone could stop that….and nobody did. Ever.

Defense:
The entire 2005 Secondary. That secondary cannot ever be topped. 5 NFL guys…legit NFL guys at that.

This 2024 team is really good but it’s not 2005 great!

First lol on Colt

Yes, the guy who was a third round pick vs. 2 that will be first round picks.

One guy was a career back-up, the other two will be drafted as projected starters.

But, sure.... lol

Reactions: Type O
I can’t disagree with the Hanks list. My favorite Hanks movie is “Joe Versus the Volcano”. Saw it million times on cable. Three versions of Meg Ryan in her prime.
I might need to give this one another go.

Reactions: North1954
RB - Savion Red (Nevada): 10 carries for 117 yards and 2 TD in a 49-16 win over Eastern Washington

Does Texas or Red wish they had each other with our current RB injury situation? Would he have brought value to this team?
He would have been a good 6th string running back coming into the season.

He needed to leave in order to get serious about football again.

Reactions: jgreene_machine
I think I’m now to a point where it would be a bit of a disappointment if Sark doesn’t win a NC. And that’s not a slam, it’s because his ceiling has raised in my mind. I think he’s one of the top overall program builders left in the game (still needs to slam the door on that but…) but when I look at the current landscape, he’s one of a small handful that are the top candidates to win one, and he’s not near retirement.
I kind of agree.

Reactions: McGuapo
Is he? All that preseason hype from "inside the building" is why it's hard to take any of that seriously. He's playing for his NFL future and he just dissappears.

a. Yes, he is.
b. We report what happens. Can you name other examples of hype? I think everyone got a little carried away with projections to some degree, but everyone around the team felt like he was going to be a difference maker.
c. I wouldn't say he's disappearing. He's just not making big plays. he entered last week in tier 3 of Alex's production rankings, along with Gbenda, Sorrell and Lefau... all good players.

Big is one of my top 5 movies. I'm so proud to be a 20+ year subscriber to a message board owned by a man that puts that as Hank's top film.

Money Pit... That scene where Hanks is falling through the floor and the subsequent disaster is one of the greatest comedy scenes ever. I don't care if people make fun of me for saying this, but I was quite close to peeing myself the first time I saw that. I was laughing like a dolphin.
You might be my favorite Orangebloods member!

• Love
Reactions: orangelightningbolt
Move Castaway up on your list Ketch. If you ask 10 people to name a Tom Hanks movie many will name castaway.

Also, OU may not have their coach now, but they have proven throughout their football history, or at least since the 1940s, that they will make a major investment in the sport and will not stand for mediocrity. They define themselves throught their football program and have been very successful (some by caring so much they cheated heavily). Like it or not, they are a blue blood and will do what it takes to compete for NCs. This is why they are our #1 rival and we hate them so much, but it is factually correct. I expect to see them in the mix for SEC championships at some point post Venerables.
The difference today is that OU can't really cheat their way back to prominence. They have to bid against everyone else for players, and they can't steal signs thanks to helmet mikes.

Outside of cheating, all they've ever had to sell is their history of success. A few down years and even that does away. Not saying it will happen, but I could totally see them going the Nebraska route.

Reactions: tex17
@Ketchum

Here’s what I saw… (As talented as Arch is)
He threw into triple coverage instead of
“wide-open receivers” multiple times… why?!?

Lie to me and tell me my eyes are lying?!?

Arch is going to be good… REALLY GOOD!!!

But Quinn is better, period.

a. Why? Because he's very aggressive.

b. No one is saying Arch is better. He might be more talented, though...

With Catch Me If You Can and Bridge of Spies on the honorable mentions list, I fully intended to quibble with your Hank’s list, but, reading through the top 10, I found it hard to “demote” any of those. If I’m picking nits, I’d put Money Pit (regardless of that being a great flick) against either of those 2, which are 2 of my favorite movies. “Knock - Knock”

I think the entire process of what’s going on with the team is the best case scenario for Arch and the Manning family. Quinn is QB1, period, end of story. As we all know, Freshman (and RS-Fr), even those named Manning, have growing pains during their first year leading their teams. The fact that Arch is getting the opportunity to get through his growing pains in a “sub” year with extensive live reps, … wow, as stoked as I am about the team this year, I am drooling with orange Kool-Aid even daring to think about next year. My preference would be to start Quinn against Miss St, and then bring Arch in at the second series in the 3rd quarter. Test out Quinn’s obliques and knock some rust off, and then hand the reins to Arch to get more of his growing pains out, sharpening him for QB1 in 2025 for a two-peat - dare I say.

I really love this team. I have rooted for Sark since he took over. He has such a great redemptive personal story. I like his attitude towards life now, and respect his ability to unite the players and get that love-of-brother mentality instilled across the team. Having lived through the entitled, mentally weak era of Longhorn football, I LOVE seeing a first team, second team, third team, practice squad, and walk-ons full of dogs! And, dogs that love each other, and look on the field like they will put everything on the line to back-up their brothers. This is the team that I’ve been waiting for my entire life as a Longhorn grad and fan. Regardless of whether they get it all this year or not, I love this team and have such high hopes for the future.
Good post!