ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Possible insight on UT's next OC?)

I went in with low expectations and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I rewatched FA and LJ the night before watching ROS and I think that helped me appreciate the new movie more.

It certainly has it flaws, but for whatever reason, I really enjoyed it.
I felt like a lot of the plot was incredibly lazy. Third best movie of the final three.

That's the opposite of what Tom wants to do. He apparently hates the idea of having to call plays, and would rather have an OC that can handle that so he can focus on the team as a whole on gameday.
I agree with your statement. We saw that the first year with Beck. My concern, however, is how much freedom he will allow his new OC in calling plays? Will Herman be open to more innovation on the offensive side of the ball? Because what we saw this last season was seriously lacking in creativity.

Yes it does. And I for one thought you meant Division I college coaches. And I suspect the rest of us did too. If you include all the basketball coaches in the United States - heck, the entire world - then I'll agree that Shaka is in the 1%.
This will blow some minds, but I think Tim Beck is a damn good coach as well.

Reactions: llanojohn
I felt like a lot of the plot was incredibly lazy. Third best movie of the final three.
I understand that criticism, but I don’t know... it just (mostly) worked for me.

It’s a shame JJ didn’t direct the second movie.

B/S: The current UT Administration and leadership lack the same level of genuine commitment to excellence in athletics (or at least the Big 3 sports) that is seen at other flagship State schools.

(Sell) I just don't believe this. Texas spends as much as anyone salries and sup

this is absolutely true. in every sport, save Eddie's complete dominance of his sport. I don't believe it means as much. Texas has been behind, badly, in facilities. the bubble is an abomination. dkr, disch faulk and the morgue are just old and pathetic. the coaching from red banquet, that horrid ad, the temporary replacement, strong, astin, smart, pierce...not one of these coaches has done a damn thing.

WTF is The University of Texas doing other than wasting millions upon millions of dollars!
Pierce won the Big 12 and took a team to the College World Series. Might want to exclude him from your "hasn't done a damn thing" list.

Doesn't sound like it. What I've read seems to indicate that Herman wants to run his offense, and just get someone else to the play calling. So sounds very similar to what Yurcich did at Ok St under Gundy.
The way I read it is that Yurcich doesn't really have an offense. So he will run Herman's offense just as he ran Gundy's. I see no problem with it.

If Yurcich is the OC, are we really going to see any changes with the offense from a design perspective? Or is Yurcich being hired to simply due to what Beck was supposed to do and that's run Herman's offense?

If we're simply going to have Yurcich calls plays and plan to split the TE out 40% of the time, then I'm afraid not a whole lot will change.

If Yurcich is the OC, are we really going to see any changes with the offense from a design perspective? Or is Yurcich being hired to simply due to what Beck was supposed to do and that's run Herman's offense?

If we're simply going to have Yurcich calls plays and plan to split the TE out 40% of the time, then I'm afraid not a whole lot will change.

Yurcich and Herman will have a common ground. Like most coaching staffs

Reactions: SarkAfterDark

My mind is blown. And I'm out for now. Thanks for your replies. Christmas chores beckon. Good size family group coming on Christmas Eve. Lots to do.
Hug your children. And roll around on the floor with them while you still can and they are still interested. A lifetime of good memories await. Promise.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I haven't side-stepped anything. I clearly outlined my reasoning and no one has dared take those reasons on, for obvious reasons.

You say reasons a lot. I’m going to look into the suppressed mental reasoning behind that. J/K. I understand his past accomplishments. But my man. He has been nothing less than abysmal here. And if he cannot get it together at a place like Texas I am more inclined to believe his accomplishments at VCU we’re anomalies.

Expand on this...what type of damn good coach is he? Notice you didn’t say damn good coordinator...so QB coach? Ehlinger didn’t take that next step this year...was that due to his ceiling or development?

How far down the 2000’s top players list do you have to go before you slot in Michael Dickson?

I understand that criticism, but I don’t know... it just (mostly) worked for me.

It’s a shame JJ didn’t direct the second movie.
I liked the second one. It's the one that had guts.

The way I read it is that Yurcich doesn't really have an offense. So he will run Herman's offense just as he ran Gundy's. I see no problem with it.
No, he has an offense, he just hasn't really had a chance to run it.

He'd be hired to call plays and run Herman's offense.

Expand on this...what type of damn good coach is he? Notice you didn’t say damn good coordinator...so QB coach? Ehlinger didn’t take that next step this year...was that due to his ceiling or development?
Coach in the most general sense. Once upon a time, he was a damn fine HS head coach.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
Top 1%?! I know you think you’re very analytical, but.....son.....you need some perspective. I mean, do you really even believe that?!
I do.

what percentage of coaches ever rise to the level of becoming USA basketball coaches?

He'd be hired to call plays and run Herman's offense.
If you mean “run Herman‘s offense“ in a broad perspective, that is probably true. I believe/hope, though, that Herman is open to ideas about tweaking the offense to improve it. He has to be, right?

I’m hoping that the new offensive coordinator will not only be a play caller, but will also re-design our approach and plays out of the same scheme that we have been using and that Herman likes. Surely that is what Herman wants, also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT