ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Possible insight on UT's next OC?)

"He's in the top 1% of all people in his profession, has been to the Final Four, has coached US national teams and is well-respected in his profession."

As a person, maybe. As a coach, the real Shaka has been exposed.
He's still in the top 1% of his profession.

Reactions: gfrank50
How can you be a damn good coach and not be a good coach for Texas? What is holding him back?
I just don't think this place is the right job for him.

Clearly.

There are countless situations of successful people going to situations where they fail to meet their goals after being successful in previous stops.

If we only judged Vince Lombardi on his stint with Washington, what would we say about him? Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins? Jerry Jones post-1995?

The failure at Texas doesn't mean he's incapable. It just means he failed.

Tough list to make. Just curious, where would you place Justin Tucker? I read that he is the most accurate kicker in NFL history.
You can make a case he could be very high. Nine of the 10 guys on the list were All-Americans, something Tucker did not achieve.

I'd say this speaks more to reputation than to X's and O's coaching. How can a coach who is in the top 1% of his field never have an offensive identity? Why would said coach move to his "big job" and completely abandon his previous teams identity (i.e. disciplined relentless pressing team)? Sorry, I can't buy that we have seen much evidence that Shaka is indeed a damn good, or even good coach at Texas.
well, he IS failing at Texas.

This has proven to be a poor fit.

No. 5 - Problem in Providence ...

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that Saturday's loss will make much of a difference when this season is over for the men's basketball team.

Don't get me wrong, it was a horrific loss. I just don't think it will define this season like so many of the looming conference games might in the coming months.

More than anything, the 70-48 loss was a reminder for Texas fans that have been slow to come around to this team's 9-1 start as to why they've been slow to come around to this team.

You can change the assistants and you can change the players, but at this point you cannot change the fact that Shaka Smart hasn't earned an ounce of benefit of the doubt and Saturday was a perfect example of that.

With conference play starting soon, it's the cloud that follows the program to a degree. When on earth can Texas fans watch the basketball team without feeling like a trapdoor of doom will open up underneath them at a moment when they have started to believe?

I'm rooting for Shaka to get this thing going in the direction he was hired to take it, but I can't say that I believe.

I can't remember the last time I did.

That's such a confusing statement. I think Saturday's game is a MAJOR indicator of things to come for those who for some odd reason put a ton of stock into the 9-1 start. The reality is we've played 3 non-scrubs and are 1-2 in those games.

(Sell) I don't mean for this to sound snarky at all, but Shaka is a damn good coach, even if he hasn't been a damn good coach at Texas thus far. He's in the top 1% of all people in his profession, has been to the Final Four, has coached US national teams and is well-respected in his profession. I'd simply say a person can still fail at something and still be damn good at what they do. What I wouldn't stand in the way of is someone saying he's not great.

He really isn't.

That's such a confusing statement. I think Saturday's game is a MAJOR indicator of things to come for those who for some odd reason put a ton of stock into the 9-1 start. The reality is we've played 3 non-scrubs and are 1-2 in those games.
It's a confusing team and program.

Isn't Mapoosi Anmakrak on this team?

EMVxAkaWsAc-xgN

Shaka? Top 1%? You're high as a kite, my man.
Possibly, but I do understand math.

There are tens of thousands of basketball coaches in America and less than 1% ever make it to the level Shaka is currently at, even as he fails in a major way in the process at Texas.

Context matters.

There are tens of thousands of basketball coaches in America and less than 1% ever make it to the level Shaka is currently at, even as he fails in a major way in the process at Texas.

Context matters.

It's really hard to fathom. So based on your logic, you'd argue Charlie Strong is top 1% too? Puff puff give...

If Ohio st wins the national championship with 2 offensive explosion games, does your 7.5 at least move to 8?

He's still in the top 1% of his profession.

Bwahahahahahaha

There are about 351 college BB teams. You put Shaka in the top 4 of college coaches.

Please post some more about other peoples biases, while ignoring your own.

For the record, Aston is in the same universe with Barnes. Finishes near the top of the conference, makes the tourney and usually goes fairly far. Just not as far as their team talent projects.

Shaka doesnt know where that universe is located.

Reactions: Trent's Dad
You can make a case he could be very high. Nine of the 10 guys on the list were All-Americans, something Tucker did not achieve.
Sometimes those lists are as good as a Most Likely to Succeed list in high school. Tucker was 2nd Team All Big 12 as a senior (AP, San Antonio Express-News, Fort Worth Star-Telegram) and honorable mention (Coaches). As a junior an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection by the Associated Press. He was underrated then and he is still underrated in retrospect

Reactions: tex17
Bwahahahahahaha

There are about 351 college BB teams. You put Shaka in the top 4 of college coaches.

Please post some more about other peoples biases, while ignoring your own.

For the record, Aston is in the same universe with Barnes. Finishes near the top of the conference, makes the tourney and usually goes fairly far. Just not as far as their team talent projects.

Shaka doesnt know where that universe is located.
all 351 of those coaches are almost certainly damn good.

Context matters.

There are any number of reasons why those "thousands" of coaches never make it to the level where Shaka is and none of them have to do with their ability to coach. For whatever oddball reason you can't see beyond that. By your reasoning Charlie Strong is a "damn good coach." What does that tell you about your reasoning?

Context matters.
There are about 350 head college BB coaches.

If you open it up to every assistant and AAU and 6th grade coach, you make no point at all. You have no idea who almost all those people are, let alone what the critieria for success is. If you open it up to coaches in college alone, and include assistant, Shaka isnt the best coach at Texas.

Reactions: TreeHorns
all 351 of those coaches are almost certainly damn good.

OK, at least now you are putting context into one of the goofiest claims ever on this board. Under your criteria, Shaka could be the worst coach in college BB, a claim I would say might be true.

Butt since he is the head coach on a college team, he is likely better than the tens of thousands of dads who who coach their kids in Y ball. Which is a claim I would argue isnt true, but none of us have any way of knowing that, and its a meaningless claim in any event.

Reactions: BurntOrangeTux
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT