ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Possible insight on UT's next OC?)

I'd simply say a person can still fail at something and still be damn good at what they do.
I'd say this speaks more to reputation than to X's and O's coaching. How can a coach who is in the top 1% of his field never have an offensive identity? Why would said coach move to his "big job" and completely abandon his previous teams identity (i.e. disciplined relentless pressing team)? Sorry, I can't buy that we have seen much evidence that Shaka is indeed a damn good, or even good coach at Texas.

You can change the assistants and you can change the players, but at this point you cannot change the fact that Shaka Smart hasn't earned an ounce of benefit of the doubt and Saturday was a perfect example of that.

With conference play starting soon, it's the cloud that follows the program to a degree. When on earth can Texas fans watch the basketball team without feeling like a trapdoor of doom will open up underneath them at a moment when they have started to believe?

I'm rooting for Shaka to get this thing going in the direction he was hired to take it, but I can't say that I believe.

I can't remember the last time I did.

NM beyond this above excellent quote !!!!

Like you list top players last 10 years. Some suggestions for changes:

2. Ehlinger
3. Williams
4. Hicks

What do you think?

Hook'Em
The quarterback position is so valuable, you could make the case, but those other two players were All-Americans at some point in their careers and Sam hasn't been All-Conference.

Well Ketch you do have a heart after all and even if no one tells you we appreciate you appreciating us as well. Even if it wasn’t a thank you for my Christmas Wish too you and your family lol. Ketch you’re a stand up guy.
Thank you. Have a blessed holidays.

@Ketchum how many movies would you say you go see in a theater per year?

I am just curious, it seems like you get the chance to see a lot of them. As a fellow parent of twins, I don't know how you find the time. I'm envious.
Probably 20-25?

@Ketchum .... Merry Christmas to you and yours, first off.... and now I must admit that I never liked the Shaka Smart hire and @DustinMcComas and I had a discussion on Twitter about it. He was a one trick pony and has faltered ever since he got here. It’s time for the admin and CDC to cut the ties that bind, shake hands as friends, and start putting together a basketball program worthy of the University of Texas. To be the state flagship school with the resources we have and building new world class facilities.... damn, we need to just go hire a Coach that can deliver with the talent at hand and keep the recruitment going. It is embarrassing for this school to have coaches in football, baseball, and basketball that have the salaries they have and do not produce. CDC should tell all three that no more contract extensions, and no more raises, until the payoff on the field equals what has already been paid out. I am getting to think that coaching is just a higher art form of stealing from colleges. Rant over and Merry Christmas.
Fair rant. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: Smootus
Like usual probably somewhere in the middle.

I’m hoping Herman finally learned his defensive staff was out classed by the better offenses in this league and learned his offensive staff was out classed by the better defenses in the league. Not a way to win the conference.

Herman wasn’t happy with his team this year and he’s making some steps to fix .

I hope it works. But there’s a chance it won’t and the buck will stop with Tom and we will find another schmuck to be our coach. People are capable of learning from failure and I’m hoping Herman is one is them.
That's completely fair, @Dr. Leo Marvin

Reactions: Dr. Leo Marvin
Our player of the decade was Case McCoy because he is so symbolic. He played key rolls in several of the most important/pivotal games (think about the last minute win at Kansas and the final A&M game) and did so with a talent package that would have made it difficult to win a starting job on a decent FCS team. What does tell us about the last decade.
This last decade was a throwaway.

Karen Aston is 100x the coach Shaka Smart is.

Trade their accomplishments while at Texas, & Shaka would be lauded as a success.

Aston is tough minded & is a damn good coach. Problem is she has to go up against a legendary coach up in Waco.
That's not her only problem. It ain't just that she can't get past Baylor.

One thing @Ketchum didn't mention..

If Yurcich was the play caller of such a potent offense, why couldn't he get a gig calling plays when he left OkState? Is it common for the OC/Playcaller of a top 20 offense three years running to go from that position to a WR coach?
I mean he is on staff at one of the top three programs in America. The thing keeping him from being the playcaller is a head coach that feels more confident and stronger in calling the plays than Herman does.

Reactions: Duanej6
Jesus and you double down on Shaka. Aside from his one great half season the dude hasn’t been in the top 75% and I don’t give a shit what he did at VCU (a school with less opportunity). He had all tools at his disposal and has sucked ass. I don’t care what race or political affiliation he has. You didn’t extend the same rope to strong because you didn’t know his political views and that’s why my annual subscription can’t end fast enough.
I haven't doubled down on anything other than the obvious.

There is no side-stepping Shaka Smart’s performance. And you are what your record says you are. @Ketchum you are just dead wrong on this one
I haven't side-stepped anything. I clearly outlined my reasoning and no one has dared take those reasons on, for obvious reasons.

Shaka Smart is like the guy who wins rookie of the year in MLB, and never comes close to that again. He had a great run in the tourney with VCU, and has been mediocre ever since. Despite recruiting at a near elite level, he has been next to clueless on how to coach that talent to even a moderate level of success.

Karen Aston is a good, not great coach. Shaka Smart isnt in that same universe.
Sadly for Texas fans, they are actually in the same universe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT