ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: (Quinn Ewers was even better than you think)

t's one thing for Banks to do what he's doing, but it's entirely something else that Jones is playing like a Top 100 NFL Draft pick. Two years ago, Texas fans wanted his butt off the field and now there will be some genuine sadness when he leaves the program.

Two years ago? Hell this PAST offseason you will find threads with posters suggesting we would be better off if he didn’t return for year 6

(Sell) Johnson is the greatest defensive player in school history. I'm not sure that Hill quite rises to that level.

“Same sentence” has some wiggle room. My guess is when Ant Hill leaves after ‘25 his name will be uttered with damn near the level of reverence as Johnson’s.

Sure. When he hasn't had a broken hand, he's very dependable.
My favorite play is when he is going in motion and just breaks up the middle of the field full speed! You can just imagine what the DB is thinking as he flies by. :) He sure as hell draws a lot of attention as i don't think TX plays anyone this season that is just going to match him up one on one. Makes a big difference for Mitchell and Whittington and the other guys.

They will learn they better get lower or he will pop them.

What’s even more hilarious about that run is the safety who RoJo trucked got a 15 yd penalty for “unnecessary roughness” after he pushed RoJo who was trying to get up after the run.

Reactions: McGuapo and darrenj
What’s even more hilarious about that run is the safety who RoJo trucked got a 15 yd penalty for “unnecessary roughness” after he pushed RoJo who was trying to get up after the run.
Yep. You know he was getting grief on film day for that one.

White Goodman Reaction GIF
I think that USC team was the best I have seen with the exception that they did not have Vince. Even with all the other talent we had, we still needed Vince's last second heroics to tie it down. Had they had VY, they would have won that game. He played the best game that has ever been played on a big stage.

Sure. When he hasn't had a broken hand, he's very dependable.
I actually wish he was more dependable.

But ok, I was just curious--thanks for answering.
(However, someday, I'd really like to know more detail about that broken hand).

I think that USC team was the best I have seen with the exception that they did not have Vince. Even with all the other talent we had, we still needed Vince's last second heroics to tie it down. Had they had VY, they would have won that game. He played the best game that has ever been played on a big stage.
2001 Miami was pretty awesome, too.

153rd. Loved your write-up. So happy I went to Tuscaloosa. Was a recipient of the Horns Down all day - mostly from punk ass students. Refrained from doing the "Anthony Hill" after the game. A 76-year old guy don't need to be starting stuff. :)

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
His drop rate when healthy is at an elite of the elite standard.
I know this is long-winded, but I think important to provide some observations as a part of the discussion--just my opinion of course,

Just hear me out:

First of all. This was a great victory and I enjoyed it immensely--and I hope it continues--especially against the big12 ingrates that richly deserve a beatdown. This year is really important that players like Worthy play elite, at all times, and this is why I bring this up.

I know you love Worthy Ketch--believe me I know that--in fact I've never heard you speak in such glowing terms about any player like you do Worthy--and I appreciate that. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY raves about him like you do.

I also bring this up because I believe that last year Ewers was adversely affected by receivers that couldn't hold on to the passes that he threw--some of which were catchable and could've really helped him in his development--and confidence. Worthy was the most disappointing because was supposed to be the star and help his struggling QB out. That's what elite receivers are supposed to do!

Stats like receiving yards that you keep relying on, don't tell the whole story--they never do. (When we talk about the great players, we never bring up their stats--we talk about what we witness with our eyeballs). Stats are fine, but you have to use them wisely.

Additionally, you keep bringing up his hand ad nauseum--and you probably (I could be wrong here but I don't think so) don't know anything more about it other than what Sark said months after the fact in a "oh by the way fashion...." and that you were told he had a broken by the SI office that he had a brace (or a cast on it when not playing).

But you rolled with it because it fits your narrative that he's the greatest receiver in UT history, so that's why he made all of those terrible drops--he had a broken hand. You've haven't come out and said that but that's what your suggesting. But ok--he had a broken hand--I believe that--not sure if it was significant since Sark and the Doctor cleared him to play.

BUT he had the dropsies again on Saturday--a perfectly thrown TD pass that an elite of the elite doesn't drop--particularly in a game like that. And that's exactly what he did multiple times last year, mainly in big moments of some crucial games like the 4th quarter last year, that we lost.

Yes, he had a great catch a few minutes later--but he should not have dropped that first--no excuses.

Here's what I think is Worthy's real issue--it's not physical, it's psychological--he doesn't handle pressure well, particularly when the team really needs him to be elite, especially at crunch time. I think Sark knows this now. I think this is where Sark has grown as a coach--he's going to use other receivers at crunch time--he's not going to "take the Worthy poison" as you said about Saban. He's been to that barbeque last year. No, he can't say it in a press conference, but we watched it on the field Saturday.

Worthy's production is basically in the first half when the game isn't on the line and he's not under immense pressure to perform--like last Saturday. You can say Worthy was double teamed, but Sark relied on Ewers, Mitchell, Sanders, Whittington, (and Brooks) to be his offensive stars and win the game against Bama--because he trusts them more. He was wise to do this. This is where I think Sark was masterful and has become (and I think will continue to be) a better coach. I loved seeing it.

Maybe the mental thing is temporary, and that TD catch blew out all his mental cobwebs.
I hope so, but I'm just glad Sark has other weapons he can use to get the job done.

Worthy was part of a great performance and helped get that win. But we haven't seen elite yet last year or this year, stats notwithstanding.
In fact, I want to see more of What I saw of Worthy in his first year.

153rd. Loved your write-up. So happy I went to Tuscaloosa. Was a recipient of the Horns Down all day - mostly from punk ass students. Refrained from doing the "Anthony Hill" after the game. A 76-year old guy don't need to be starting stuff. :)
You're never too old! ;)

I know this is long-winded, but I think important to provide some observations as a part of the discussion--just my opinion of course,

Just hear me out:

First of all. This was a great victory and I enjoyed it immensely--and I hope it continues--especially against the big12 ingrates that richly deserve a beatdown. This year is really important that players like Worthy play elite, at all times, and this is why I bring this up.

I know you love Worthy Ketch--believe me I know that--in fact I've never heard you speak in such glowing terms about any player like you do Worthy--and I appreciate that. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY raves about him like you do.

I also bring this up because I believe that last year Ewers was adversely affected by receivers that couldn't hold on to the passes that he threw--some of which were catchable and could've really helped him in his development--and confidence. Worthy was the most disappointing because was supposed to be the star and help his struggling QB out. That's what elite receivers are supposed to do!

Stats like receiving yards that you keep relying on, don't tell the whole story--they never do. (When we talk about the great players, we never bring up their stats--we talk about what we witness with our eyeballs). Stats are fine, but you have to use them wisely.

Additionally, you keep bringing up his hand ad nauseum--and you probably (I could be wrong here but I don't think so) don't know anything more about it other than what Sark said months after the fact in a "oh by the way fashion...." and that you were told he had a broken by the SI office that he had a brace (or a cast on it when not playing).

But you rolled with it because it fits your narrative that he's the greatest receiver in UT history, so that's why he made all of those terrible drops--he had a broken hand. You've haven't come out and said that but that's what your suggesting. But ok--he had a broken hand--I believe that--not sure if it was significant since Sark and the Doctor cleared him to play.

BUT he had the dropsies again on Saturday--a perfectly thrown TD pass that an elite of the elite doesn't drop--particularly in a game like that. And that's exactly what he did multiple times last year, mainly in big moments of some crucial games like the 4th quarter last year, that we lost.

Yes, he had a great catch a few minutes later--but he should not have dropped that first--no excuses.

Here's what I think is Worthy's real issue--it's not physical, it's psychological--he doesn't handle pressure well, particularly when the team really needs him to be elite, especially at crunch time. I think Sark knows this now. I think this is where Sark has grown as a coach--he's going to use other receivers at crunch time--he's not going to "take the Worthy poison" as you said about Saban. He's been to that barbeque last year. No, he can't say it in a press conference, but we watched it on the field Saturday.

Worthy's production is basically in the first half when the game isn't on the line and he's not under immense pressure to perform--like last Saturday. You can say Worthy was double teamed, but Sark relied on Ewers, Mitchell, Sanders, Whittington, (and Brooks) to be his offensive stars and win the game against Bama--because he trusts them more. He was wise to do this. This is where I think Sark was masterful and has become (and I think will continue to be) a better coach. I loved seeing it.

Maybe the mental thing is temporary, and that TD catch blew out all his mental cobwebs.
I hope so, but I'm just glad Sark has other weapons he can use to get the job done.

Worthy was part of a great performance and helped get that win. But we haven't seen elite yet last year or this year, stats notwithstanding.
I get tired of the excuse-making from last year.

Just hear me out:

You are a troll ass poster or just a whiny bitch. Take your shit elsewhere or just STFU. There’s a reason nobody likes your posts.

I get tired of the excuse-making from last year.
Thats it?? No further analysis than that?!
Btw, Saturday's muff wasn't last year. 😉

You know the 2 elite receivers we saw against Alabama? Mitchell and Sanders--those 2 are elite receivers.

You are a troll ass poster or just a whiny bitch. Take your shit elsewhere or just STFU. There’s a reason nobody likes your posts.
I appreciate the feedback however, I have a LOT of like and loves, so I must be doing something right. And no, I'm not a troll, but thanks for playing anyway.

I was trying to present a point of view and an opinion one specific topic that I thought needed some detail--in an attempt to lower the chance of being called a "whinny bitch" and having a little fun with my last remark about asking if that was it--no offense intended.

If it's wrong to have a 24 hour erection then I don't want to be right!
Good stuff.

When you talk about big road wins I think there are two almost distinct categories. One where the Texas team is already established as a national championship or near national championship contender and is playing another national championship kind of contender. That is the 2005 Ohio State game and the 1969 Arkansas game.

The other is a game where Texas is NOT recognized as legitimately on the national stage, but by virtue of the big win propels itself into the national discussion. That was last night's win.
Username checks out.

NIL, Texas in SEC, not following a legend, and TX having more resources are plenty of reasons for him to stay…he’ll want to carve his own path…
Or he takes the Bama job bc he feels Nick and Bama gave him a 2nd chance at greatness and the Bama job is 2 special to turn down. I can see Dabo, Sark, Kiffin, O'Brien, and Deion being offered when Nick retires.

Hopefully, Sark stays and excels at Texas. It's a good problem to have for Sark.

Or he takes the Bama job bc he feels Nick and Bama gave him a 2nd chance at greatness and the Bama job is 2 special to turn down. I can see Dabo, Sark, Kiffin, O'Brien, and Deion being offered when Nick retires.

Hopefully, Sark stays and excels at Texas. It's a good problem to have for Sark.
Bama is great but everything is bigger in Texas.

College Football GIF by Texas Longhorns

Bama is great but everything is bigger in Texas.

College Football GIF by Texas Longhorns
For the most part but the football Natty trophy case. We r a special program and school but Bama is the holy grail for college football. I think if Sark wins a Natty here soon, then he may feel tied to here. So let's go win 1 soon!!!

For the most part but the football Natty trophy case. We r a special program and school but Bama is the holy grail for college football. I think if Sark wins a Natty here soon, then he may feel tied to here. So let's go win 1 soon!!!
They are the holy grail only because of what they have done under Saban. What have you done for me lately.

They are the holy grail only because of what they have done under Saban. What have you done for me lately.
Did u forget about the great Paul Bear Bryant (who won several Nattys)? Bama was a great and storied program (top 5 with ND, Blow U, etc.) with more than 10 Nattys before Saban. Before we won a Natty in 2005, our previous 1 was in 1970. Bama won 4 Nattys after 1970 ('73, '78, '79, and '92) and before Saban in 2009. https://www.si.com/college/2021/01/12/how-many-national-championships-has-alabama-won

Saban took it to another great level. If u want to say that Bama is not the only holy grail before Saban, then fine. They r 1 of the holy grails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT