ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: (Quinn Ewers was even better than you think)

You're making a direct comparison with Notre Dame with Alabama?
Not at all. I'm comparing the way I felt about ND at that time and my reticence to get too high on this team based on that previous experience. In other words, I am still a nervous Nellie, while fully aware that this Head Coach and his assistants are beyond what we had back then. No one said PTSD was rational! :oops:;)

• Haha
Reactions: BOLIO and Ketchum
Adonai Mitchell sideline grab was money. Those are the types of catches we have been missing at the WR position. What happens when defenses figure out we can't just double Xavier because we still can carve them up other players. I still feel like the offense is not even close to full throttle. Once we get the running game, Cook, Neyor, and Moore going.
nuclear explosion GIF

That is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I just want to enjoy this win for 7 days and not get the cart too far in front of the horse.

Quinn was spectacular and looked at ease the entire game. If he (and more importantly the OL in front of him) plays this well the rest of the season, then the sky truly is the limit.

But the offense hasn't even been consistent for 2 weeks yet, much less the whole season. And Sark hasn't been great at retaining leads since he's been on the 40 acres so I'm going to want to see them repeat it a few times before I book tickets to the Heisman ceremony and Playoffs.

Still, that game may have been the highlight of my year. So much fun!
Watch it every night this week. It's worthy of it.

Reactions: wfoot1 and Horn19
Great article this week Ketch! Love the stroll down memory lane. I think I was at 3 of those games.

BTW, I live in Iowa and my son played against Kadyn Proctor in HS. I've seen a few of his games and he was just a huge, dirty, bully at SE Polk. I REALLY enjoyed watching Ethan Burke and Ant Hill making him their b*tch this weekend.

Now, we've got another kid in the area, Nick Brooks, a junior at Kennedy HS in Cedar Rapids, that the Texas coaches need to start reaching out to. The kid is a monster and I know some of his coaches. He's just a genuine, hard working future badass.

And make him their bitch, they most certainly did! Good stuff!

Dez Bryant is a moron….does he even know what he’s talking about? Dude is the Arenas Gilbert of dumb football takes -
Wasn’t it about two weeks ago @Alex Dunlap had the head of the senior bowl on who said Watts would need to consider safety if he wanted to play in NFL?
Be nice to Dez. ;)

During a replay I focused on the offensive line and it’s performance was nothing short of miraculous! A typical play saw our rt and rg double teaming to perfection, our c handling their lt with only one or two steps back, and our lt and lg holding their opponents right on the line of scrimmage. Never seen anything like it.
I almost can't believe how much they turned it around from one week to the next.

Reactions: Horn19
I consider the 2005 National Championship against USC an away game since it was played in the LA Colliseum, which is USC home field. Not only was this a great game in Texas history, but is was on of the best college games every played .
White Goodman Reaction GIF

Well, I would agree that Mitchell has more overall talent and potential. But I'm not going to coronate the guy after just two games, especially in lieu of what Quan accomplished during his UT career.

Mitchell's 4 playoff game touchdowns against the best teams in the country are pretty noteworthy accomplishments. ;)

Jumping in late. Great read. But. You mentioned Casey Hampton regarding greatest players. I think eating up double teams is the definition of being loud at the nose tackle. Just a quibble. What a freaking awesome weekend. I spent the entire day with family and die hard Bama fans. Was really nice walking out of BD Stadium with their respect. 52-2. Nuff said.
Casey Hampton led the team in tackles.... while getting double teams.

That's being loud. ;)

Adonai Mitchell sideline grab was money. Those are the types of catches we have been missing at the WR position. What happens when defenses figure out we can't just double Xavier because we still can carve them up other players. I still feel like the offense is not even close to full throttle. Once we get the running game, Cook, Neyor, and Moore going.
nuclear explosion GIF
So was that freaking throw.

Reactions: Horn19 and ARD438
Be nice to Dez. ;)
I never understood the slander on Watts. I haven't seen him get beat that I could recall. LY when he was out with injury we could tell he was off the field. Watts has been a monster.

I think Bama will still go out and have a good yr. Not sure if they are CFP type of team this year tho as it might be a yr they just have to take their lumps with Milroe's growing pains and set it up for a run next season.

But in order to beat this Bama team, you have to do what Texas did, which was to stop the run game without blitzing too much and contain Milroe and make him a passer. There's still not alot of teams out there that can do that. Bama will still roll teams that they can establish their run game on.

Watch the McConaughey reaction to Worthy TD on the Pat McAfee simulcast. It was so funny I think they brought Matthew for a couple of seconds but he hijacked the show and stole the show while he was on. classic

Watch the McConaughey reaction to Worthy TD on the Pat McAfee simulcast. It was so funny I think they brought Matthew for a couple of seconds but he hijacked the show and stole the show while he was on. classic
alphas gonna alpha

Throughout the off-season, I openly wondered what Ewers was playing for this season and how he might be remembered if he plays onlytwo seasons for the Longhorns before heading to the NFL as a likely first-round pick in the 2024 Draft.

Said before the game one could argue the game was bigger personally for Ewers than it was for Texas as a team. Not sure that wasn’t correct after the fact. He’s now firmly in the Heisman race.

While the interior guys surprised, the tackle tandem of Kelvin Banks and Christian Jones did what they are becoming known for ... stonewalling any and all comers. A year ago, Banks and Jones pretty much put the clamps on Will Anderson and Dallas Turner. A year later, the duo put the clamps at Turner, Chris Braswell and anyone else the Tide wanted to try its luck with.

Growing into our best OT duo since 2005’s Scott & Blalock. I think Jones has early to mid Day 2 draft potential.

... Ethan Burke is a major upgrade of Ovie Oghoufo. If you're wondering, Oghoufo has zero tackles or tackles for loss in LSU's first two games of the season.

Odd as it sounds, Burke could be gone already after next season

Said before the game one could argue the game was bigger personally for Ewers than it was for Texas as a team. Not sure that wasn’t correct after the fact. He’s now firmly in the Heisman race.
agreed then, agreed now. ;)

If sark has the kind of success that makes bama want him then there’s absolutely nothing bama can offer that Texas won’t match. It’ll help get him paid, but he’s not leaving Texas because of a better offer if he’s successful enough to get that offer.
Not to mention that a) who would want to follow the GOAT at Bama. Talk about a losing proposition and b) Texas has much better NIL and is poised to be the new big dog. Why leave the state?

... Jalen Milroe wasn't great, but he was better than his supporting cast. How does that team not have a single passing game threat that scares you?

Particularly after the decade run they had at the position, especially those last 2 seasons of ‘19 & ‘20.

Reactions: Ketchum
Great write up Ketch. I too am going to sit down and shut up but for me it’s regarding X. Big boy stuff from him last night after his drop. Most people only see the catches and him cooking with the ball in his hands, but if anyone rewatches, take a look at his work without the ball as a blocker and making that over/under coverage work their ass off. He played like a pro last night, physically and mentally.
Plus 1.

If the rest of our receiving corpse blocked as effectively as Worthy does play to play, we' might have 5 more TDs this season I bet.

Prepare for yall's biggest OB watch a long viewership with game being on LHN

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

@Ketchum did you say “Cole Hutson” ? The same Cole Hutson that was a 10 game starter last year that you openly questioned me on? And I quote “ “ did you watch him play last year” Same “Cole Hutson” that played the entire 4th quarter last night! Put some respect on his name. He might have the upside that DJ Campbell has. Might not be the 5 ⭐️ super blue chip - but I will take that 3⭐️ any day of the week!
Loved the way Cole Hutson played but not true. He rotated with Campbell.

If you watch it back DJ Campbell was in during the 4th on the Brooks TD run after the 2nd interception , road grading at the 2nd level

I consider the 2005 National Championship against USC an away game since it was played in the LA Colliseum, which is USC home field. Not only was this a great game in Texas history, but is was on of the best college games every played .
IT was actually at the Rose Bowl, UCLA's home field. But yes, still in LA.

Reactions: Ben3490
Well, I would agree that Mitchell has more overall talent and potential. But I'm not going to coronate the guy after just two games, especially in lieu of what Quan accomplished during his UT career.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT