ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Sark Overload)

What empirical / historical data supports this notion? He recruited in the 15 to 25 range (good for 4th or 5th place in the PAC) at UW and only had a couple of classes at USC.

I mean, if this was Mack Brown, I could understand the unbridled optimism. However, recruiting as an OC for Nick Saban is not the same as recruiting as the main man.

If its just a hunch / feeling, then I get it. However, the historical data doesn't support such lofty standards at face value.
One of those classes was a No.1 overall class at USC in 2015.

Besting Alabama.

The rest of 21 kids will be transfers? Will they have a smaller class or it wont matter because so many will just be for one year? Who is a name we did not have a shot at before but do now?
I expect to see a lot of transfers and that's what Texas should be doing,

for the record Strong didn't hire Shawn Watson. Watson was his OC at Louisville and Strong planned on replacing him as OC (perhaps keep him as QB coach or WR coach) to go to a spread offense. it was Patterson who would not write the check for Chad Morris at Clemson at the time and there was a second OC Strong wanted. you may be familiar with him. Tom Herman. Herman opted to stay on Meyer's Ohio State staff as he knew Brutus Buckeye was loaded with winning a national title a very real goal. and they did just that.

Watson was basically a last choice holdover by Strong. Herman of course used that title year at Ohio State to land the Houston job which eventually propelled him to Texas.

Strong incidentally was on the short list for DC to replace Will Muskrat when he left for Florida. Brown hired Manny the SPAZ Diaz and we all know how that turned out. Diaz was at the time a legit "hot" DC after a solid run under Rick Stockstill at Middle Tennessee then Mississippi State. Diaz didn't see much spread offenses at the time in the SEC so it's not all that surprising he was over-matched in the Big 12. and by BYU. Had Brown hired Strong, his eventual replacement at Texas, the defense easily could have made 8 or 9 wins 10 or 11. would Texas have forced Brown out then? no way.

circle back to this year where Meyer, Herman's mentor, was his potential replacement at Texas. the coaching community is a smaller world than 130 programs would indicate. there is almost always some connection between seemingly disparate programs.

small world indeed.
Charlie was always going to bring Watson in. It's ridiculous to think otherwise,

Reactions: NativeTex
@Ketchum At the end of the day, do you think the tipping point was the lack of recruiting success/momentum and ability to attract a better staff? I am trying to get there with this hire, and 100% agree change needed to happen but this is a guy who was fired at USC, then fired as the OC of the Falcons, then inherited the most talented offense in college football. He was literally fired as an OC two years ago, to the head job at Texas today. I just hope the connections he has built will lead to a kick ass staff, which does sound like is whats happening. Your Tony Elliot write-up a couple of weeks ago just seemed to have more of that upside I was hoping for.
TEOT + recruiting + TCU/OU losses = ****ed

I think after the last two hires I’m gonna sit back and watch. I want to see a rock star staff...not just hear about one. I also want rock star recruiters...I don’t just wanna hear that we may try to hire one. Color me burned in the past
fair enough to say the least.

Reactions: SirAdamAdams
Do you think Sark understands the desperate need to hit the transfer market for OL and LB?
I think he will soon enough. It'll be behind Herman in that recognition upon arriving, but he's a smart cookie.

That leaves a few more vital decisions that will likely determine Sarkisian’s success.

a. His defensive coordinator selection
b. The number of recruiting rainmakers he can hire

IMO, having previously been HC at SC, and and on Saban's staff for a few years, he almost certainly is a guy who understands the importance of a & b.

IMO, having previously been HC at SC, and and on Saban's staff for a few years, he almost certainly is a guy who understands the importance of a & b.
No doubt. It's one of the most encouraging things about the hire.

I'm still dismayed that Herman rebuild his staff this year and gambled that having big-time rainmakers didn't matter.

(Buy) This seems like a slam dunk. Even Bama folks seem to be bracing for the reality that Sarkisian is going to take a few staff members with him. It doesn't seem like anyone from Alabama is too worried about it, though.

Well, when the captain of USS Alabama is still named Saban, there's not much to fear when it comes to hiring proper assistants

Reactions: drunk randoke
Texas has been in California since Herman. Bru McCoy (albeit his early departure) and Collin Johnson are from California. Also, Saban has gone on air to say when coaches use his system to garner their own success he’s delighted for them, but to go back and take more from the program after departing it is what ruins relationships with his former assistants who are now head coaches. I would think Sark, if he’s got that humanity Ketch speaks of, will not directly pull staff from Bama. Players, maybe, but not current staff.

... Iowa State handled Oregon with much more ease than I would have guessed. Frankly, they outclassed the Ducks, and I'm not sure they did that a ton in the Big 12 this year.

Tough loss for the Mario Cristobal crowd. Losing to Matt Campbell only made it worse.

Texas has been in California since Herman. Bru McCoy (albeit his early departure) and Collin Johnson are from California. Also, Saban has gone on air to say when coaches use his system to garner their own success he’s delighted for them, but to go back and take more from the program after departing it is what ruins relationships with his former assistants who are now head coaches. I would think Sark, if he’s got that humanity Ketch speaks of, will not directly pull staff from Bama. Players, maybe, but not current staff.
Agreed, Texas has dabbled. I think Sark will do more than dabble.

Reactions: HkmTxsLnghrns
... Admit it, that was the perfect way for the season to end for the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. It can't ever be straight-forward. It always has to include some sort of kidney shot.

For years now I've pretty much only sit down and engage in one Cowboy game a year. And it's usually this type of circumstance, i.e. last ditch effort to make the playoffs. And they pretty much all end this way don't they? Little surprised you have no comment on the literally brain dead decision to not challenge that 3rd down catch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT