ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Shaka is a damn good coach)

You left out all of the supporting detail provided. Why?

Bc the facts are we are 6-8 and will likely be 7-10 in conference play. 17 wins at a school like Texas is ridiculous. That’s with a top 5 draft pick in the paint.

Yeah he’s done a good job with the jones situation, but candidate for big 12 coach of the year? Insane

The truth is weird to some people. I've listed quite a few supporting facts. I'm not the silly one.

You have a weird habit of labeling your opinion as the truth. You picked a bunch of stats that paint a positive picture. There are plenty that can be picked that paint a very negative picture.

When you take a highly subjective and largely meaningless statement like “is someone a good coach”, you can offer any number of facts on either side. Good compared to what? Our last coach? Reasonable expectations? An objective and results-based analysis? Performance relative to the talent on the roster? Performance relative to preseason expectations?

Your incredibly condescending and frankly bizarre habit of making definitive statements and then acting indignant when anyone disagrees is tiresome. I’m out.

200w.gif

Bc the facts are we are 6-8 and will likely be 7-10 in conference play. 17 wins at a school like Texas is ridiculous. That’s with a top 5 draft pick in the paint.

Yeah he’s done a good job with the jones situation, but candidate for big 12 coach of the year? Insane
Those aren't all the facts.

You forgot these facts.

Instead of focusing on what he hasn't done with this team, let's focus on what he has done, which is take one of youngest teams in the country (four in the top seven of the current rotation are freshmen) and put it on the door-step of the NCAA Tournament, despite playing in the toughest conference in the country.

A conference so tough that if the team shows up on any given night and plays like a team full of wide-eyed freshmen, an ass-kicking will commence, no matter the opponent.

Oh, and did I mention that along the way he'd lost his best scorer for the rest of the season because of a battle with cancer?

Texas now has six wins against RPI Group 1 teams, which is among the highest marks in the entire country.

Of its 11 losses this season, seven were to teams that went into this week ranked inside the AP Top 25 - No. 7 Texas Tech, No. 9 Gonzaga, No. 12 Duke, No. 13 Kansas, No. 20 West Virginia and No. 22 Michigan.

Three of those loses went into overtime. Two of the three that finished in regulation were lost by six and two points, respectively.

Do you think Mike Krzyzewski walked off the floor in November and thought, "If only that really young team that dominated my team for much of the game had a good coach?"

Do you think that likely Big 12 Coach of the Year Mike Beard thought to himself, "Yeah, that team was down Andrew Jones and pushed us on our home floor as much as anyone has all year ... if they only had a good coach."

Do you think Lon Krugar is thinking to himself this weekend, "How did we lose twice to a team with shitty coaching?"

Ketch looking for drama tonight. He has his hot take to stir the pot, and then almost half of the first 30 responses are from him quoting everyone who disagrees.
It's a hot take to call the head basketball coach at Texas a good coach...

Your take is hotter.

Reactions: JF811
Those aren't all the facts.

You forgot these facts.

Instead of focusing on what he hasn't done with this team, let's focus on what he has done, which is take one of youngest teams in the country (four in the top seven of the current rotation are freshmen) and put it on the door-step of the NCAA Tournament, despite playing in the toughest conference in the country.

A conference so tough that if the team shows up on any given night and plays like a team full of wide-eyed freshmen, an ass-kicking will commence, no matter the opponent.

Oh, and did I mention that along the way he'd lost his best scorer for the rest of the season because of a battle with cancer?

Texas now has six wins against RPI Group 1 teams, which is among the highest marks in the entire country.

Of its 11 losses this season, seven were to teams that went into this week ranked inside the AP Top 25 - No. 7 Texas Tech, No. 9 Gonzaga, No. 12 Duke, No. 13 Kansas, No. 20 West Virginia and No. 22 Michigan.

Three of those loses went into overtime. Two of the three that finished in regulation were lost by six and two points, respectively.

Do you think Mike Krzyzewski walked off the floor in November and thought, "If only that really young team that dominated my team for much of the game had a good coach?"

Do you think that likely Big 12 Coach of the Year Mike Beard thought to himself, "Yeah, that team was down Andrew Jones and pushed us on our home floor as much as anyone has all year ... if they only had a good coach."

Do you think Lon Krugar is thinking to himself this weekend, "How did we lose twice to a team with shitty coaching?"

None of that means much when we’re headed towards another NIT first round exit. It doesn’t matter if you lose by 1 point or 25.

Texas football almost beat usc on the road, Oklahoma and Oklahoma state this last year In Herman’s first year. You can’t seriously think Herman should have been a candidate for coach of the year in the big 12.

No bc wins and losses are what matter.

Shaka is a good coach, but he’s done a poor job so far at Texas. Hopefully he can get it figured out and quickly

Funny watching some of you argue with a column you haven't read.

It speaks to something...
Read the entire thing. He’s a .500 coach at Texas with one postseason appearance in three years, no tournament wins and owns the worst season in Texas history at 11-22. It was a dumb post. The fact you were silent on his disastrous week last week and then speak up after their win against a team who has lost 8 of 10 is kinda funny. You’re an eternal optimist in regards to Shaka and you’ve let your personal feelings for him cloud your judgment.

You won't be alone. None of it can be refuted. Easier for some to skip truths.
The only thing I don't understand is why you go to bat so fiercely for Shaka, yet you're much harder on Tom comparatively?

Why does Shaka get the benefit of the doubt from you, but Tom doesn't. I'm not saying you hate Tom, but you definitely have a "show me" type tone in your columns and podcasts in particular.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT