ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Spitballing all weekend)

Not sure that's really accurate of Lefty. Once he got that first major at Augusta in '04 (23rd overall W), his perception began to go more positively. Yes, he carries the same career US Open as Slammin' Sammy Snead, including that '06 meltdown, but going back at least 10 years when he won his 4th major and 3rd green jacket (Win #38), people putting much firmly has easily the second best golfer of his generation and from a pure results standpoint, just outside top 10 of all-time. Then there was his subsequent epic win in the '13 Open Championship with one of the greatest final rounds in majors history.

Sure, Johnson may be "basically half-way there," but that second half will be no walk in the park. I'd say Johnson has about a legit 5 year window to make more hay. To be clear, he already is probably no less than 4th/5th best in the Tiger Era (last 25 years). But getting to Lefty's 44 wins and 5 majors might be a bridge too far. But we'll see. DJ most certainly has a consistently high track record going back back nearly a decade in 3 of the 4 majors so he would project to have more than his share of chances. The Open Championship is one that he has struggled with much more in that time frame.
Might be a bridge too far. He'll be in the area code, though, in all likelihood.

Always strikes me as odd that people want to dismiss conference championships while saying the CFP is much more important even though it's real f'n hard to make the CFP WITHOUT winning a conference title. To date, 3 of 24 CFP teams didn't win their conference, and one of them was Domer which obviously is not in a conference. Sorry, but you can't way the CFP has "devalued" conference titles given just how f'n important they are to making the CFP.
They are important to getting into CFP.
But it’s the end of race that is more important in the eye of a recruit today.
The Championship games are elimination games to them more than championships games.
There is no value in a Big 12 title that doesn’t get you into the college football playoffs. None.

I really believe if it wasn’t real that Meyer would have made some comment that would shoot the rumors down. He has only made A few veiled comments that lead me to believe he is on board with coming to Texas. I hope I’m not pipe dreaming
Urban loves to be loved.

54% accuracy as a passer. Only 53 TDs to 37 INTs while on campus. He also benefitted from having a stellar RB in the backfield named Ricky Williams. His senior year was abysmal and helped get Mackovic fired. He should be behind Ehlinger, Layne, Simms & Applewhite. For someone that loves stats, you completely ignored them with Brown.

Anyone who wants to put JB behind Ehlinger, Simms and Applewhite apparently never saw him play.

Reactions: wfoot
giphy.gif
I've been waiting for you to join me.

The Championship games are elimination games to them more than championships games.
There is no value in a Big 12 title that doesn’t get you into the college football playoffs. None.

With all due respect, there's a lot of dumb in that.

Disagree on Applewhite. After watching way too many old games on YouTube during quarantine, Applewhite is easily the most overrated Texas football player of all time. I would say his diminutive stature and fierce competitive nature, won him more leeway for his many times below average play than Sam. The amount of talent that surrounded him was absurd, and the quality of coaching isn’t comparable.

They do share the common trait of being horrendously inaccurate until the 4th quarter of games.
Major is overrated more than anything else. No titles. Lost his job. Failed in key moments. Mostly average statistically.

a. He didn't play in an offense that truly suited his skill set. He was a player aheads of his time from that stand point.

b. He completely changed the attitude in the program, which lead to back to back conference titles. That 1996 championship happened because of HIM.

c. His senior season was marred by an awful ankle injury, the kind that he never should have tried to play through. It rendered that entire year moot.

d. None of the players you are mentioning have accomplished what he accomplished, certainly not Applewhite or Sims. Sam needs to get a conference title. Until then, he doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as JB IMO.

e. JB's career changed the way black players started to view Texas. Before JB, Texas had a rep that a black quarterback could not make it at Texas. Without JB, there is no VY.

ALL THIS.

Just to clarify, I for sure thought Simms was the better QB than Applewhite. I don't really disagree that Applewhite very overrated. JMO though, that I can't put Sam above Applewhite yet.
What did Major accomplish that Sam didn't?

Quite honestly, it's not very nuanced comparing QB stat numbers from 2 different eras. But I'll give you Sam's career numbers along with another, unnamed QB's college numbers:

Sam - 10, 700 pass yds. 62.4 comp %. 90 TD/27 ints. 143.7 passer rating.

Unnamed QB - 11,700 pass yds. 61 comp %. 90TD/45 ints. 132.5 passer rating.

So based on that you're taking Sam over said unnamed QB?
I need more data. Can I see the rushing numbers, wins/losses and career accomplsihments?

Honestly, this is pretty damn accurate. Much like 4 years ago Thanksgiving weekend when 98%, at worst, was jumping for joy over the hire of Herman. Sh*t happens. We didn't want to lose Muschamp. We didn't want to miss out on Mensa.
Not wanting to lose Muschamp at the cost of what, though?

I maintain it's the thing that caused Mack to lose his edge.

Reactions: RLong68
It's really annoying to try and read an article with a annoying loud five below ad repeating over and over. This is a premium pay site and shouldn't have disruptive audio ads. Keep this up and I'm out of here when my renewal is up in five weeks.
That shouldn't happen and is the first I've heard of it being a problem.

Lol.

Says the fan of a program that never wins them...

@Ketchum, a couple of series you should start...

Utopia and Wayne

Also did you not like The Boys or Mandalorian?
Mandalorian is good. Haven't see The Boys. Thanks for the suggestions. Thought about you this week. My wide was sick ALL week.... otherwise, I'd have rung you up. ;(*

Reactions: jessed50
Might be a bridge too far. He'll be in the area code, though, in all likelihood.

Oh I don't really doubt that. Let's say DJ gets to 11 more wins including 2 more majors you are talking about a guy with a career comparable to anyone not inside the top 10.

Oh I don't really doubt that. Let's say DJ gets to 11 more wins including 2 more majors you are talking about a guy with a career comparable to anyone not inside the top 10.
I'm sorry, I'm not getting the point.. Maybe rephrase it?

At the time Muschamp was named HCIW, there were parties on this board as it was almost universally celebrated. In fact, I don't remember a single post complaining about it, which struck me at the time because that almost never happens. Muschamp was an absolute rock star and seen as the next Saban. We were scared shitless another program would make him a head coach after the 2009 season.
That’s the way I remember it too.

How 'bout if I just name the unnamed QB as Drew Brees and be done with it? :cool:
Not really. As someone that followed Brees;' career at Purdue closely, the stats only tell part of the story.

A little like with James Brown....

Reactions: RLong68
Lol.

Says the fan of a program that never wins them...

tumblr_mrhibvZ1s21sa24tdo1_400.gif

Personal Thoughts:
CDC Go ask the Brock Bros what the hell it's gonna take. And then do WHATEVER it is. Don't want Hudson Cards years to be spent behind a sorry ass oline😔. I truly do hope Casey is given every opportunity to earn the right to be QB1 his senior year. I appreciate his loyalty and not being a bitch about it.
Damn dude give it a rest already. The Brocks have made a business decision that did not include Texas. Their best chance at the NFL dream is right where they committed to. Further more as long as old Herb is o-line coach don't expect any other top guys to come here either

• Haha
Reactions: dsutton_85
Make the case.

I've yet to see anyone do it. Both failed to win championships. Both struggled to beat OU (at least Sam played well). Both have more disappointments than not.

One is better as a passer (in terms of efficiency numbers) and much more critical as a run threat.

That same player also has a Sugar Bowl win on his resume.

Using numbers to compare quarterbacks from different eras is problematic. Joe Flacco just passed Joe Montana in career passing yards.

Sam may end up better than Simms, but it's complicated.

Using numbers to compare quarterbacks from different eras is problematic. Joe Flacco just passed Joe Montana in career passing yards.

Sam may end up better than Simms, but it's complicated.
lol.

Simms' career accomplishments can be counted on a couple of fingers, while playing with much better players and coaching.

I'm sorry, I'm not getting the point.. Maybe rephrase it?

Originally the point was getting to Mickelson's level will be hard. But I agree that DJ has a chance to finishing pretty close. I mean, maybe he doesn't surpass it. But no matter what, at a minimum, DJ has already had a fabulous career pretty unmatched by everyone not named Tiger, LEfty, Vijay and mabye Ernie, the last quarter century.

Besides get them into 4 of the last 5 CFPs?
The conversation is in the context of recruiting. They should be recruiting at an elite level but Texas does better in a lot of cases. Big 12 title isn't helping much on that front.

ADVERTISEMENT