ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Spitballing all weekend)

Not sure. Just framing the thinking.
How many other times in the history of college football has a program rushed out a Hall of Fame coach in the middle of his prime in the name of rushing in his assistant?

OU would be a comparison IF Stoops had been in the middle of his 2000-2004 run when they bumped up Lincoln.

I struggle to recall anyone else.

The conversation is in the context of recruiting. They should be recruiting at an elite level but Texas does better in a lot of cases. Big 12 title isn't helping much on that front.
The situation with OU recruiting is a little more complicated when it comes to recruiting.

It depends on an outside state as its home base, plays in a shitty conference that few top prospects outside of its region want to play in and has a rep for bad defense.

It's not apples to apples when comparing OU to Texas.

- I think Texas finishes 8-2 just because it's 2020.

- From the moment I spoke to Sam about his desire to play in the NFL during last year's bowl game, I knew this would be his final year, even with an extra year of eligibility.

- Much rather be called staff than mod. Seems like mod=assholes when referred to on this site lol

- I benched Brady for Big Ben. Brady scored 37.84 points. Big Ben had 37.32. No shame here.

- Ozark needs to be on your list. You're missing out.

Reactions: PaulieD
The situation with OU recruiting is a little more complicated when it comes to recruiting.

It depends on an outside state as its home base, plays in a shitty conference that few top prospects outside of its region want to play in and has a rep for bad defense.

It's not apples to apples when comparing OU to Texas.
Said another way.... you think an avalanche is in order if Texas wins the title? What about your 2nd point (shitty conference)?

Said another way.... you think an avalanche is in order if Texas wins the title?
No, but I think Texas fans daydream about things like avalanche's in a dream reality that mostly doesn't exist.

Wow.........what a profound last sentence in your column. Can't believe I've never looked at it this and no one has ever framed it so profoundly.

Fantastic conclusion on the train wreck. Gosh almighty I disliked Dodds....................

- I think Texas finishes 8-2 just because it's 2020.

- From the moment I spoke to Sam about his desire to play in the NFL during last year's bowl game, I knew this would be his final year, even with an extra year of eligibility.

- Much rather be called staff than mod. Seems like mod=assholes when referred to on this site lol

- I benched Brady for Big Ben. Brady scored 37.84 points. Big Ben had 37.32. No shame here.

- Ozark needs to be on your list. You're missing out.
* I'm on the fence. It's definitely on the table. It's in this program;'s DNA to **** up a good thing.

* agreed on Sam. 100%

* For me, a Mod is someone that isn't a journalist/reporter and only deals with message boards.

* No more 3-6 record for you! Down goes @a_hornsfan

* My wife loves it. I need to start at the beginning.

Mandalorian is good. Haven't see The Boys. Thanks for the suggestions. Thought about you this week. My wide was sick ALL week.... otherwise, I'd have rung you up. ;(*

No worries. It’s a standing offer.

LOL at Colt at 2 in front of Bobby Layne and James Street. Out of control

Just so we're clear...

James Brown the same number of conference championships as a starter as VY, Colt McCoy, Simms, Applewhite and Ehlinger COMBINED.
You are better than this. James Brown was playing in the dying SWC that was in hospice. One of those conference championships was a 5-way tie and didn't include A&M due to probation (Rice, Tech & A&M destroyed us that season). JB may have been before his time & changed perceptions for future black athletes related to Texas, but his stats and impact on winning were pedestrian. All of the other mentioned QBs were much more accomplished at UT while playing better competition.

If I was @Iceman, I would provide detailed statistics to back up my claim.

Make the case.

I've yet to see anyone do it. Both failed to win championships. Both struggled to beat OU (at least Sam played well). Both have more disappointments than not.

One is better as a passer (in terms of efficiency numbers) and much more critical as a run threat.

That same player also has a Sugar Bowl win on his resume.
Just the eyeballs, man. And I mean, Simms left Texas with a 26-6 record. Is that not a metric? And it’s at least persuasive that one will be lucky to be drafted and hold a clipboard while the other was a starting NFL QB who led his team to the playoffs. JMO

You are better than this. James Brown was playing in the dying SWC that was in hospice. One of those conference championships was a 5-way tie and didn't include A&M due to probation (Rice, Tech & A&M destroyed us that season). JB may have been before his time & changed perceptions for future black athletes related to Texas, but his stats and impact on winning were pedestrian. All of the other mentioned QBs were much more accomplished at UT while playing better competition.

The Nebraska team he beat for his second conference title was better than any conference team those other players beat during their time at Texas, except MAYBE 2008 Oklahoma.

I'm not even accounting for the 94 championship.

JB is basically the reason why Texas dethroned A&M as a regional power in the mid 90s. It doesn't happen without him. That 1995 title was as legit and meaningful as any title Texas has won that didn't lead to a national title game bid. It meant more than 1996.

Speaking of beating Nebraska for the first Big 12 title... that's all JB. Just ask Dan Neil. I wrote about it in my book. The team believed because of JB. Period.

Before JB, Texas had a stigma that Black quarterbacks couldn't succeed ay Texas. JB crashing down that wall is what allowed for VY to happen. He never doubted that he could thrive at Texas because JB blazed that trail.

Like I said... anyone that wants to make the case... knock yourself out.

The Nebraska team he beat for his second conference title was better than any conference team those other players beat during their time at Texas, except MAYBE 2008 Oklahoma.
Some folks in this discussion are forgetting the legend of that moment.

Just the eyeballs, man. And I mean, Simms left Texas with a 26-6 record. Is that not a metric? And it’s at least persuasive that one will be lucky to be drafted and hold a clipboard while the other was a starting NFL QB who led his team to the playoffs. JMO
What is Simms' signature moment? Biggest on-field accomplishment?

The answers to these questions matter.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

The problem with having a bye week in the middle of one of the strangest seasons I've covered in the 26 seasons I've been covering the Texas football program is that it gives you a lot of time to ponder an assortment of random things.

After spending far too much time trying to figure out how to creatively spin out the pile of thoughts in my head into a seamless piece of creative writing beauty, I've given up.

You're not getting creative. Just a pile of thoughts in this first section.

A word vomit of sorts.

Here goes ...

* As someone that was ridiculed as a misguided worrywart for predicting a 7-3 record for the Longhorns before the season started, I'm slightly amused at the situation the program is currently in with a 5-2 record and an easier-than-it-is-hard pathway to a Big 12 Championship game. Sight unseen, I feel like if I had offered the Texas fan base an 8-2 regular season and a spot in the Big 12 Championship game before the season started, an overwhelming majority of fans would have snapped my hand off in a race to accept it.

After all, we're talking about a team that was 7-5 a season ago, had a historically complicated off-season and was entering a season of unknown with the threat of COVID hanging over the team each week. An 8-2 record wouldn't be perfect, but it would do the trick of accomplishing the greater goal of giving the team a chance at a Big 12 Championship. Other than killing misguided notions of competing for a spot in the playoff, 8-2 would represent serious improvement in the standings from a year ago and it does the same thing that a 10-0 and 9-1 record would accomplish, which is set up a 60-minute standoff for the school's first conference championship since 2009. Hell yes, most of you would have taken that deal. Only the fanatical part of being a fan would lead someone to pass up shooting from the lay-up line in the name of chasing an extra layer of glory when you haven't tasted a smidge of any kind of true glory in 11 years.

That's like a single guy that hasn't been on a date in 11 years telling an active friend in the dating market that he's going out on too many dates and should instead be looking for someone who is perfect.

Of course, that getting to the conference title game alone doesn't make for a successful season around here as much as it represents steps of improvement that shouldn't exist at this stage of Tom Herman's tenure in Austin, but there's no getting around the fact that this team is headed towards hitting a reasonable set of expectations through the first 10 games of the season. It's not there yet. A 7-3 record feels most likely, but the Longhorns will likely be favored in each of its final three games.

* Timing is everything. It's very possible that we'll get to a final record that should fit into the category of acceptable based on the fact that it gets the team into the Big 12 Championship game for only the second time since the Big 12 Championship game enjoyed a rebirth, but the timing of that performance in Lubbock, coupled with the following losses to TCU and Oklahoma created a momentum of desperately desired change that doesn't slow down because a string of wins inconveniences it. If we get to a point where the Longhorns are 8-2, the losses to Oklahoma and TCU wouldn't seemingly justify a dismissal by itself, but that they happened together during a time of historically explosive off-field minefields has made for a fascinating set of circumstances.

* The recruiting in 2021 is an incredible disappointment and a borderline disaster when you consider what the Longhorns haven't been able to accomplish with the in-state plate of prospects that was available to the staff, but the truth of the matter is that I don't have a great feel for what would happen in the 2022 class should the Longhorns emerge from this season as Big 12 champions. While things have been stuck in the mud for the 2021 class for a while, there are signs that a number of top 2022 in-state prospects have the Longhorns at the top or near the top of their leaderboards. It would be naive to believe that winning a Big 12 title wouldn't have a positive bounce for recruiting when you remember what the win in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago achieved. Perhaps the million dollar question in this scenario is what would happen to 2022 and 2023 recruiting if things went sideways on the field, similarly to what happened in 2019, which the program hasn't yet recovered from?

* It's hard not to wonder how different the state of Herman's tenure might look if he had looked to go with a bunch of recruiting rain-makers when he turned over his staff instead of hiring a bunch of guys with reps as developers of talent, but not necessarily dominant in recruiting. The feeling at the time was that if Texas won on the field, recruiting would take care of itself. That was a fairly naive position for Herman to take when he hired his staff because it speaks of an overestimation of Herman's juice with top prospects. Herman is nothing like Mack Brown as a recruiter, which means that four years into his tenure, he's not a guy that can turn water into wine with regards to recruiting momentum.

* There's still a part of me that will believe Texas hires a guy like Urban Meyer when I see it, with most of my doubt centered around the notion that Texas will be willing to break the bank in a potential bidding war with Meyer. The word I got recently was that a potential deal with Meyer would likely be heavy in incentives and bonuses if it ever came to fruition but the working part of my brain wonders how someone with all the leverage would be won over with a contract built on incentives in order for it to compete at the highest levels nationally in terms of total take-home.

* The elephant in the room with Herman in 2020 is that the entire season is being seen through the prism of the anger created from The Eyes of Texas situation. It's hard not to wonder how this season would feel if the leadership in athletics that emerged in October hadn't needed to arrive only after a public disaster.

* If there's one thing that really bothers me about what we've seen in the last month or so, it's the attack on Herman's character with attempted smears related to off-field activity. I think it's complete trash. If you want to get rid of the guy because his coaching isn't good enough, fine, go for it. This other stuff? Trash. Don't let your thirst for change related to football make you cross the line of decency out of desperation. Be better than that.

* South Carolina setting 13 million on fire to rid itself of Will Muschamp (see section. 10) is an interesting development because it creates another precedent for the Longhorns to lean on if it seeks to do the same later in the season. UT is a place that loves to have others do the things it wants to do first, just so that it can have some optics cover. It's an underrated little event for the "change" crowd.

No. 2 - The COVID cloud ...

It was kind of hard to watch college football this weekend and not notice that half the schedule was wiped out because of COVID.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about the season thus far in Austin is that the Longhorns have been able to navigate the schedule seamlessly thus far without a COVID outbreak causing the pause-hammer to come out. Seriously, it got Baylor big-time earlier in the season. It got A&M this weekend and might get the Aggies again next weekend. It's been a while, but TCU had a game cancelled earlier this season as well.

With seemingly the entire SEC forced to sit out this weekend, it's more than fair to wonder how the hell this season is going to finish. Personally, it feels like everyone is going to treat it like "the show must go on" to some degree, but when my mother-in-law asked me what might represent the straw that would break the camel's back, I had to confess I didn't have a good answer.

Into the next few weeks of the season we go, with cases exploding all over the country at dizzying rates, with where it might end up, no one seems to know.

No. 3 - ICYMI on Sam ...

This piece of news would seem to answer the questions about whether Sam Ehlinger would consider coming back to Austin for a fifth season because of the current NCAA rules over eligibility during the pandemic (2020 is a free season for everyone).

With four or five games left in his career, his place on my list of the top Texas quarterbacks of all-time seems cemented.

1. Vince Young.
2. Colt McCoy
3. James Street
4. James Brown
5. Bobby Layne
6. Sam Ehlinger
7. Chris Simms
8. Major Applewhite

The list hasn't changed a bit since the start of the 2019 season, which is disappointing for everyone because cracking the top four seemed possible 20 months ago and that it hasn't occurred speaks to the heights that haven't been reached.

No. 4 - A few thoughts on Terrence Cooks' commitment ...

a. I'm not sure that I care at all that he isn't highly rated (rating range hovers between low-four star/high three-star depending on the service) because highly-rated linebackers from the state of Texas have the highest bust rate of any position on either side of the ball in the entire state. Of the 14 highest rated in-state linebackers from 2003-2016, only Keenan Robinson was truly a plus-college player. Honestly, it would be scary if he WAS highly rated because of the incredible bust-rate. I kid ... kind of.

b. Cooks feels like a guy that fits the prototype of a successful linebacker in the Big 12. On paper, he profiles like a tweener on a traditional linebacker prospect scale, but his physical tool belt suggests that he can eventually have a DeMarvion Overshown-type of evolution over his collegiate career. While every linebacker in the state is a long-shot these days when it comes to emerging as a future Sunday player, I can close my eyes and see him becoming a really good Big 12 linebacker. His versatility is the reason why he ended up with 35 offers at the time of his commitment. View him as a long-shot bet with a really high upside as opposed to a long-shot bet with limited upside.

c. Cooks and Morice Blackwell feel like double-downs on landing a future starting linebacker with an Overshown-ish skill set/game. If the Longhorns can hit on one of the two moving forward, and by hit I mean one of the two emerges into a starting level player with NFL ability, you'd have to consider that a major win. The math suggests that it's unlikely to occur, but both of these kids are going to arrive with fans from the scouting community.

d. From a profile standpoint, Cooks and Blackwell might not be the two best linebacker prospects in the state, but they do project as the two best with games that profile to the type of skill sets that thrive the most among Big 12 linebackers.

No. 5 - Strong Troll Game ...

Urban is messing with your minds at this point.
View attachment 214

No. 6 - Real greatness ...

It's too bad you guys don't care more about volleyball because the Longhorn are basically Ohio State football in the sport and just wrapped up another Big 12 title over the weekend.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
penny-stocks-to-buy-or-sell-august.jpg

(Buy) That's absolutely on the table.

(Buy) I can't speak for everyone else, but I hate being called a mod. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, I can't decide.

(Buy) It comes down to whether Texas leadership believes a deal with an upgrade is in the bag. If not, I'm less emphatic.

(Sell) I feel like we've been very transparent.

(Sell) It's not a one-sided discussion, but it's still one that favors Sam.

(Sell) There's been some good coaching and development taking place on the defensive side of the ball.

(Sell) It's always in the hip pocket, but it's not being thrown around a ton right now. I always reserve the right to change this answer.

(Buy) Probably.

(Buy) Until the benefit of the doubt is earned, it shouldn't be given.

(Sell) No, I don't believe that.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the world of sports ...

... It feels like Dustin Johnson is going to be this decade's Phil Mickelson, as the sports world will spend a lot of his career focused on what he didn't do and then one day you'll look up and he'll have four or five majors baked inside of a Hall of Fame career. After this weekend's win at The Masters, Johnson is basically half-way there.

... The Masters really missed the gallery. I'm not taking anything away from Johnson's win, it just didn't feel nearly the same.

... Dylan Frittelli landing a fifth-place finish represented his first real successful run at a major. The former Longhorns star was one of the big winners of the weekend.

... Tiger posting a 10 on the 12th hole on Sunday was the most relatable thing about him since his wife came at his car with a golf club.

... My goodness, what the hell is going on at Michigan? I'm having a hard time comparing that situation to anything. 49-11 at home to Wisconsin after losing to Indiana by 17 the previous week? 1-3 to start the season? Hoo-boy.

... I'm not sure if it's because a former radio producer of mine from my YahooSportsRadio days played at Indiana (it is), but I find myself rooting for this Hoosiers team and enjoying its success.

... What are USC fans feeling right now? Really feeling?

... It kind of feels like LSU got a get out of jail card in not having to play Alabama.

... That Nuke Hopkins catch to win the game over Buffalo on Sunday is one of the best catches I have ever seen in my life. It mostly rendered me speechless.

... You'll never convince me that Nick Chubb wasn't trying to make Scott Van Pelt's Bad Beat section of Sportscenter...

... No matter what Ronald Jones ever accomplishes, and on Sunday he scored a 98-yard touchdown in the NFL, he'll always be Roland Jones to me.

... Shame on you if you benched Tom Brady in fantasy after that horrible performance last week. You had to know he was going to have a Brady bounce-back game.

... The NFL kind of sucked on Sunday until that Hopkins catch.

... You never would have convinced me when Freddie Freeman was 25 that he would one day be an MVP, let alone a near unanimous one. It's kind of crazy these days to see a one-team lifer like Freeman.

... James Harden in Brooklyn? Sure, let's see what the hell happens with that.

... Consider me a very big fan of the Lakers adding Dennis Schroder. He's a very good catch and shoot three-ball shooter (37-percent in his career) and that's the kind of shot you'd expect him to get a lot of in that Lakers line-up. Unless you believe that the 33-year old Green has a bounce back season in him (and he could), this feels like a win for the Lakers.

... F International soccer.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 TV Shows of 2020 ...

After devouring The Queen's Gambit this week on Netflix (it was sensational), I thought I'd be in the mood for a little TV series rankings.

I'm not saying these are the best 10 shows of 2020. I'm just saying these are the 10 best shows of 2020 that I've seen this year with six weeks to go.

10. Pen15
9. Tiger King
8. Schitt's Creek
7. Perry Mason
6. Curb Your Enthusiasm
5. The Last Dance
4. I'll Be Gone In The Dark
3. Ted Lasso
2. Better Call Saul
1. The Queen's Gambit

No.10 - And finally ...

In light of South Carolina eating 13 million dollars worth of buyout money in order to rid itself of Will Muschamp, which makes the second school the former Texas defensive coordinator has flamed out in as heads coach, it's begs a question I'm not sure we've ever given enough proper consideration....

What the hell was Texas thinking more than a decade ago when it named Muschamp as the "head-coach-in-waiting" ?

It's not revisionist history to say that the hire came completely out of left field when it happened and it seems crazy to me now that the rock star defensive coordinator was viewed as more important than the hall of fame head coach the move inadvertently marginalized. I'll always maintained to this day that the beginning of the end for Mack was the moment that the retirement seed was planted in his head with this move to secure Muschamp for the long-haul.

From that moment on, Mack seemed to defer to Muschamp in a number of key areas, several directly related to recruiting.

So, let me ask again... what the hell was DeLoss Dodds and Texas thinking? How could a guy with no head coaching experience ever be deemed so important? How did we all allow this to happen?
Ketch,
I apoligize for the profanity on the buy-sell. Was referring to head coaching only, but it was a post in anger. Keep up the good work. HookEm

I'm not even accounting for the 94 championship.

JB is basically the reason why Texas dethroned A&M as a regional power in the mid 90s. It doesn't happen without him. That 1995 title was as legit and meaningful as any title Texas has won that didn't lead to a national title game bid. It meant more than 1996.

Speaking of beating Nebraska for the first Big 12 title... that's all JB. Just ask Dan Neil. I wrote about it in my book. The team believed because of JB. Period.

Before JB, Texas had a stigma that Black quarterbacks couldn't succeed ay Texas. JB crashing down that wall is what allowed for VY to happen. He never doubted that he could thrive at Texas because JB blazed that trail.

Like I said... anyone that wants to make the case... knock yourself out.
One thing I will agree with is that James Brown played some of his best football in the games that mattered. He definitely left an impact and is a big reason for turning around the program. I just feel he opened the door for better QBs to follow in his footsteps. Not worth arguing further as these lists will always be subjective.

Reactions: PaulieD
One thing I will agree with is that James Brown played some of his best football in the games that mattered. He definitely left an impact and is a big reason for turning around the program. I just feel he opened the door for better QBs to follow in his footsteps. Not worth arguing further as these lists will always be subjective.
I just don't know what the case is for the others to be ranked ahead of it.

As passers, Simms and Applewhite's career numbers are only slightly better than Brown and that's only because he wrongfully played through an awful injury as a senior.

What is Simms' signature moment? Biggest on-field accomplishment?

The answers to these questions matter.
Signature moment? For me it’s 300 yards and 3 TD’s in one quarter to demolish the aggys. I enjoyed the 1/1/03 Cotton Bowl as well. But anyhoo, like I said, JMO.

Signature moment? For me it’s 300 yards and 3 TD’s in one quarter to demolish the aggys. I enjoyed the 1/1/03 Cotton Bowl as well. But anyhoo, like I said, JMO.
a. In a side by side comparison of Brown, none of Simms' wins were bigger than the 1995 game in College Station.

b. I'll see your Cotton Bowl and raise you with the 1996 Big 12 Championship game.

c. Oh, and 1994 vs. OU.

;)

Ketch, staff, what would you think of a change in strategy for Texas' 2021 recruiting? Instead of going farther and farther down into the local talent pool, could the team instead try to poach some of the higher ranked recruits that are already committed to other programs? Particularly on the offensive line.

I am thinking the Texas staff could start making contact with the highest ranked OL recruits verbally committed to Michigan, Penn State, maybe Iowa. Guys committed to those schools are already headed towards programs with rumored instability at the head coach level. And they are headed towards teams with low likelihood of winning anything significant since they routinely have their teeth kicked in by Ohio State. Importantly, there is nothing that can still happen to these programs this year to make a difference for this year's commits.

I think it is likely that the OOS guys are less informed about the rumors around Herman and less indoctrinated with how Texas can't win as compared to local recruits. I am always impressed with the national reputation of Texas as a traditional power and the idea that it could quickly become a winner again.

The other thing is that I don't really see the downside to trying. A little time to inquire? No embarrassment to saying we are still looking to fill out our recruiting class with a couple of high talent, high character guys.

If you could inquire to 20 guys, get 8 guys to express enough interest to continue dialog and get two or even one four star to eventually sign with Texas, that would seem like a real victory.

And you would have an empirical test with Texas ability to recruit nationally.

I'd even consider talking to Georgia or other SEC commits. For Georgia, the pitch would be that you would not be behind a zillion other 5 stars and 4 stars and be in a program that can't get past Alabama anyway.

I ask the same question in how we allowed the hiring of Steve Patterson and Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart, it’s the same problem Texas has had since Mack was let go in that Texas always goes for the hot coordinator flavor of the month.

Hindsight20/20 there were flags popping up with Herman when we were watching him before the interview. The losses he was taking against losing teams I remember coming up as question but was quickly brushed off as he wasn’t focused because of the Texas job.

Herman’s last loss was against Navy or rice if I recall right before he was hired.

To me there is no second guessing on UM he is the real deal and has the skins on the walls at three different stops.
I know some folks that are not football junkies will say his off the field issues but the
powers to be will over look that and they should and say he’s arguably the second best coach of all time and will bring a toughness and discipline that will finally shake the Soft label Texas has carried for a long time.
I just hope Texas brass won’t overthink this like as they always have in the past.
You want Texas to be more like LSU and Baylor?

a. In a side by side comparison of Brown, none of Simms' wins were bigger than the 1995 game in College Station.

b. I'll see your Cotton Bowl and raise you with the 1996 Big 12 Championship game.

c. Oh, and 1994 vs. OU.

;)
You have me confused with another poster. I’m in the Simms/Ehlinger debate. I wholeheartedly agree that at Texas, JB > Simms or Ehlinger. But Simms > Ehlinger.

This was some good writing Ketch. Some of the best I’ve seen on this board. Good job my man.

I think you are right but I think the time to do this is after the next three games. Of course, that is assuming that we win those games.
This was in reply to Enjoying the Ride’s post suggesting an aggressive recruiting approach.

Last edited:
* I'm on the fence. It's definitely on the table. It's in this program;'s DNA to **** up a good thing.

* agreed on Sam. 100%

* For me, a Mod is someone that isn't a journalist/reporter and only deals with message boards.

* No more 3-6 record for you! Down goes @a_hornsfan

* My wife loves it. I need to start at the beginning.
If you watch Ozark all the way through it would be in the top 3 of your list for sure! Loved Ted Lasso and finishing up Queens Gambit right now. Very good show but Ozark is pretty darn good!

Would love to watch Harden on the same team as KD and Irving. Think it would have the great possibility of being a train wreck.

I just don't know what the case is for the others to be ranked ahead of it.

As passers, Simms and Applewhite's career numbers are only slightly better than Brown and that's only because he wrongfully played through an awful injury as a senior.
At least Sam Ehlinger should be placed ahead of James Brown. Both players have had similar team results with a signature win (Nebraska vs Georgia). Sam had to play against better competition as James Brown played first two years in weak SWC. Sam benefitted from better WRs, but James Brown benefitted from a much better OL and had Ricky Williams in the backfield for 3 seasons. Both have played through injuries. Sam should also easily lead in comeback wins for his team as he is asked to do so much more than James Brown ever had to do.

Now the stats which are not even close:

1. Accuracy: 62.4% vs 54.4% (Sam wins)
2. TDs/INTs: 90/27 vs 53/37 (Sam wins)
3. Passing Yards: 10,704 vs 7,628 (Sam wins)
4. QBR: 143.7 vs 128.4 (Sam wins)
5. Rushing Yards: 1,849 vs 411 (Sam wins)
6. Rushing TDs: 32 vs 6 (Sam wins)

ADVERTISEMENT