ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The best hire of Tom Herman's career?)

How much into the title picture?
Well, he’s won 5 in a row against tough ass guys and Dana is trying to figure out what to do with him now, because he’s basically one of, if not the top contender for the 205 belt that Blachowicz has. The issue is, Blach has a super fight at 205 lbs scheduled with Israel Adesanya spring of next year, which is the soonest he can return. So, poor Tex is kind of in a situation with no good answers because he needs to capitalize now at his age and it’s hard to see him getting the winner of that fight, for several reasons...and it wouldn’t be until next summer? His best shot may be as a sub for that fight in case someone falls out, but other than that, does he have to fight another young lion AGAIN to stay in limbo hoping to win again AND to get the next shot? Tough situation.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
Well, he’s won 5 in a row against tough ass guys and Dana is trying to figure out what to do with him now, because he’s basically one of, if not the top contender for the 205 belt that Blachowicz has. The issue is, Blach has a super fight at 205 lbs scheduled with Israel Adesanya spring of next year, which is the soonest he can return. So, poor Tex is kind of in a situation with no good answers because he needs to capitalize now at his age and it’s hard to see him getting the winner of that fight, for several reasons...and it wouldn’t be until next summer? His best shot may be as a sub for that fight in case someone falls out, but other than that, does he have to fight another young lion AGAIN to stay in limbo hoping to win again AND to get the next shot? Tough situation.
He doesn’t draw the viewers or PPV numbers but if they did a co-main event with another weight class/title shot or a McGregor card it could work...dude earned this title shot before his window closes...

Reactions: McGuapo
He doesn’t draw the viewers or PPV numbers but if they did a co-main event with another weight class/title shot or a McGregor card it could work...dude earned this title shot before his window closes...
Yeah I just think he’s a guy nobody really wants to fight right now at the top because he brings nothing to the table. Not money or additional respect, just because he’s largely seen as an older journeyman. And he’s a got damn bull that can choke the life out of you. Also, they have lots of weird stuff going on at 205 right now with Izzy, Jan and maybe even Jon Jones if Izzy wins. I don’t see how he squeezes into the picture, regardless of his ability to draw. He’s kind of the thorn right now. If Izzy wins he’s gonna fight Jon Jones. If Jan wins his star will be higher than ever and putting him against Tex next summer at earliest isn’t ideal (and it makes Tex have to wait almost a year or fight another beast) and Jones may even come back to fight Jan if things fall right. I want to see him get a shot, but not sure how he gets it unless someone drops out.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
I have tried several times now and I just can't quite figure out what you meant to say here.
I've been told by people in the athletic department that CDC believes the stuff that I wrote about CDC's failures was crafted by the top of the football program.

Yeah I just think he’s a guy nobody really wants to fight right now at the top because he brings nothing to the table. Not money or additional respect, just because he’s largely seen as an older journeyman. And he’s a got damn bull that can choke the life out of you. Also, they have lots of weird stuff going on at 205 right now with Izzy, Jan and maybe even Jon Jones if Izzy wins. I don’t see how he squeezes into the picture, regardless of his ability to draw. He’s kind of the thorn right now. If Izzy wins he’s gonna fight Jon Jones. If Jan wins his star will be higher than ever and putting him against Tex next summer at earliest isn’t ideal (and it makes Tex have to wait almost a year or fight another beast) and Jones may even come back to fight Jan if things fall right. I want to see him get a shot, but not sure how he gets it unless someone drops out.
I haven't been keeping up with that division at all in the last year.

I haven't been keeping up with that division at all in the last year.
Well, Jon wiped it out and DC is gone. There’s a guy nobody has largely heard of atop the division and a bunch of other guys Jon already beat or that have no juice. We need new stars in the big boy classes, as I said.

Well, Jon wiped it out and DC is gone. There’s a guy nobody has largely heard of atop the division and a bunch of other guys Jon already beat or that have no juice. We need new stars in the big boy classes, as I said.
Truer words have never been written.

Truer words have never been written.
I mean, when Glover can make a run like this at 41 years old, it kind of tells you everything you need to know about the division, no disrespect at all to what he’s doing, because it’s actually really hard (uh hmm, Tom).

I just can't see Texas making a move if Tom Herman runs the table, especially if he wins the Title Game.
Would that not be a sign of significant progress?

I mean, when Glover can make a run like this at 41 years old, it kind of tells you everything you need to know about the division, no disrespect at all to what he’s doing, because it’s actually really hard (uh hmm, Tom).
Exactly. I like Glover. I just had no idea that he was fighting the No.1 contender last week or I would have DVrd it. I just figured he was headlining because they needed a name on a Saturday night during college football when the main event comes on at 1am on the east coast.

I agree with all your observations in the lede section, but there's one other element involved.

There's a lot of mocking of Herman on this board for continually talking about missing spring practice, off-season training and totally improvising preseason camp, but the fact is, there's no way that missing that much concentrated work together as a team with new offensive and defensive coordinators doesn't affect the way the team executes when the well-damn-it-looks-like-we're-playing season starts.

Seven games into the season, the team is now starting to catch up on all the missed reps and is now reacting within the schemes rather than just trying to learn them. And all the new coaches have had to learn about their players in games rather than practices. Now they know alot better what they can do with whom, what works and what doesn't. And now they're able to scheme with that knowledge.

Obviously, the progress is a lot more conspicuous on defense. But hats off to Chris Ash, his unit is affirming his reputation as great coordinator. And hats off to Mark Hagen and Oscar Giles. Multiple guys along the defensive line are playing a lot better and show improvement from game to game. And the same for Coleman Hutzler and the linebackers.

I thought the offense would be playing better long before now, and I thought Sam Ehlinger would thrive under Mike Yurcich. It appears we may have found where Ehlinger's ceiling is, and it may well be that he just isn't suited to some of the throws that Yurcich's scheme emphasizes.

But hopefully we saw the running game rounding into form against West Virginia.
Very rational post!
I believe with all of the negative criticism on sites like this it would take not only winning out to save recruiting but winning impressively.
Too bad the fan base became a mob instead of letting it play out.
It is easier to get a good replacement if you support the current coach while he is the coach.

Can we start another thread for those who seem to be more interested in their expertise in the game shows? Geez.
Come on, the biggest reason this content piece jams every week is that it's a mosh pit of topics.

A little of fun inside this super serious football thing is never a bad thing.

Reactions: drunk randoke
Very rational post!
I believe with all of the negative criticism on sites like this it would take not only winning out to save recruiting but winning impressively.
It is easier to get a good replacement if you support the current coach while he is the coach.
The landscape probably looks quite different if the situation with The Eyes never occurs.

Obviously, that's out of his control, but it's a huge deal behind the scenes and Herman has been blamed for it by people that don't want to assume any accountability beyond him.

Reactions: boernefan
The landscape probably looks quite different if the situation with The Eyes never occurs.

Obviously, that's out of his control, but it's a huge deal behind the scenes and Herman has been blamed for it by people that don't want to assume any accountability beyond him.
I understand.

Very rational post!

Still blaming the fans I see instead of the terrible coaching and product on the field.

Reactions: SVR45 and cooleyo
Very rational post!
1-4 against ou.

Reactions: SVR45
Very rational post!
Good lord, another “it’s the fans” take?? Mind-bottlingly myopic.

Reactions: SVR45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT