ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The best hire of Tom Herman's career?)

I knew it wasn't going to be a popular opinion, but did you watch those clips? Some of the answers the contestants gave were kind of funny, but compare what he contributes to the show with a guy like Steve Harvey. It's not even close. He just reads the answers with very rare and fleeting moments of personality.

He may have been a great guy who hosted a great show for a very, very long time. He was as dependable as the tide. But what makes him a great game show host? His uppity, regal manner?

Sorry to speak critically of the dead. I never wished ill of him. He was a stalwart. and I just always thought the praise for him was unearned.
I guess I just like snaky, uppity-ness. It was a show for the brain and if you lost your brain, he would in a very subtle way punish the brainiacs.

It's why I loved Anne Robinson.

I love all the discussion here about what the results of getting to or winning the Big 12 Championship game do for Herman's chances of keeping his job.

But let's be honest, isn't the number 1 factor whether or not Urban Meyer is willing to come coach at Texas. If CDC's conversations with Meyer fizzle out for any reason, then the chances of Herman being our coach next year increase regardless of where we finish.

If Meyer decides to coach at USC or Michigan (which would be hysterical) then who would we be in favor of firing Herman (and eating millions of dollars worth of buyouts) for? We would have to lose at least 2, maybe 3 more games for CDC to buyout all the contracts only to take a shot at... Hugh Freeze? Luke Fickell?

Last edited:
I think Mond is just a guy, but that offensive line can allow for a lot of good things to happen.
I like a lot the odds of a lot of teams beating the aggies if it falls on Mond to win the game. Most aggies I’ve talked to feel the same way. The real question is who left on the aggie schedule is going to put them in that predicament? Auburn? Maybe LSU?

Don't get ahead of yourselves. It is very likely, that with our anemic offense, either K State or Iowa State will solve the problem, "Retain or fire Herman?" And don't count Kansas out. That's what ultimately got Charlie fired, he lost to Kansas! Could happen again.
I'm not getting ahead of myself, I can assure you.

In know what 50-50 means.

I like a lot the odds of a lot of teams beating the aggies if it falls on Mond to win the game. Most aggies I’ve talked to feel the same way. The real question is who left on the aggie schedule is going to put them in that predicament? Auburn? Maybe LSU?
Well...

I guess I just like snaky, uppity-ness. It was a show for the brain and if you lost your brain, he would in a very subtle way punish the brainiacs.

It's why I loved Anne Robinson.
Wow, those clips of Anne Robinson were 50 times more entertaining than the ones of Trebek! She deserves to be on the list!

Don't get me wrong, I adored Jeopardy. And Trebek did a very serious job of being a very serious host. But compare what Robinson contributed to Trebek, or Harvey, or Dawson, and it's not even close. Maybe his show didn't lend itself to him showing personality. He was a great fit at Jeopardy.

I'd be on board with Jeopardy with Alex Trebek as a Top 5 gameshow of all time. Just not Trebek's ranking as a Top 5 host of all time.

Wow, those clips of Anne Robinson were 50 times more entertaining than the ones of Trebek! She deserves to be on the list!

Don't get me wrong, I adored Jeopardy. And Trebek did a very serious job of being a very serious host. But compare what Robinson contributed to Trebek, or Harvey, or Dawson, and it's not even close. Maybe his show didn't lend itself to him showing personality. He was a great fit at Jeopardy.

I'd be on board with Jeopardy with Alex Trebek as a Top 5 gameshow of all time. Just not Trebek's ranking as a Top 5 host of all time.
I'm not sure I can separate the two.

Did you watch UFC? How much do you love Glover Texeira? Guy’s a bull that just won’t go away.

Did you watch UFC? How much do you love Glover Texeira? Guy’s a bull that just won’t go away.
I started to and got sucked into football and fell asleep.

Glover still headlining is something else.

Reactions: McGuapo
2020 is something else!

have a couple B/S that are in the vein of some things you’ve already answered.

b/s: urban Meyer is currently in some sort of BTS negotiation w/ boosters/admin/board.

b/s: if any talks w/ Urban lead to fruitful conversation and a verbal agreement, Herman is out in favor of urban even with a b12 championship win. It just makes the transition smooth to get him set with another quality job and reduces buyout.

have a couple B/S that are in the vein of some things you’ve already answered.

b/s: urban Meyer is currently in some sort of BTS negotiation w/ boosters/admin/board.

b/s: if any talks w/ Urban lead to fruitful conversation and a verbal agreement, Herman is out in favor of urban even with a b12 championship win. It just makes the transition smooth to get him set with another quality job and reduces buyout.
a. Buy (How deep that is going, I'm not sure, but they've connected IMO. His not having an agent right now is allowing this to stay under wraps at the moment IMO)

b. Buy (I think, but we're not there yet).

a. Buy (How deep that is going, I'm not sure, but they've connected IMO. His not having an agent right now is allowing this to stay under wraps at the moment IMO)

b. Buy (I think, but we're not there yet).

Well some legitimate hope is probably going to get me through the next few weeks. Thank you for your insight.

I started to and got sucked into football and fell asleep.

Glover still headlining is something else.
Indeed. Remember when he fought Jon Jones years ago for the belt in 2014? Well, he’s back in the title picture all these years later. Dude is a beast.

I never was a big Mandel fan on that show, but I can't say I dislike him. He just didn't garner any real consideration for my own personal list.

I wonder if it was his bald head that bothered me. ;)

you’re outing yourself as a bigot of the folically impaired l, a group I find myself joining with each stroke of the hairbrush.. I’m ahead of Chuck/echeese but I’m gaining

Indeed. Remember when he fought Jon Jones years ago for the belt in 2014? Well, he’s back in the title picture all these years later. Dude is a beast.
How much into the title picture?

you’re outing yourself as a bigot of the folically impaired l, a group I find myself joining with each stroke of the hairbrush.. I’m ahead of Chuck/echeese but I’m gaining
I have folic impaired guilt.

Reactions: RTR
Guys...you are nitpicking Ketch;s A&M comment. His words were an elaboration on the idea that A&M is looking good and UT is looking bad this year. He, like each of us, is not always perfect in what he writes (Ketch, sorry to burst your bubble), but let's focus on the important point he was making: Our doing poorly and aggy's doing well this season is unfortunate and will have an impact on our recruiting in a heads-to-head competition.

Everyone can argue about the minutia as to each game, but the reality is A&M made a good hire while we did not AND A&M is being far more successful this year than I thought they would prior to the season. I thought that their QB being disliked for some of his comments about Sul Ross and aggy's not playing its normal cupcake OOC opponents would have an adverse impact on their record. They seem to be making progress while UT is stuck in the mud or maybe even regressing.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark
The volleyball team is so much fun to watch. They have fun. They are close. They have so much athletic talent. They are killers on the court. Watch them on a regular basis on LHN. Then go watch at least one game in person. You will get hooked and become a fan for life

How much into the title picture?
He’s earned a title shot due to his winning streak but he’s still a level below Cormier and Jones. Got a chance against the new champ but needs to get it within 6-9 months before his window closes for good...

Finally an objective analysis from the OB STAFF, much like you give credit to the defense, I return the favor. Nice not to read sludge views and keeping it out of the sewer for a change.

As good as the defense was Saturday in so many aspects, if I was Brent Dearmon I would run WR screens on us all day. We have to figure out how to defend this type of scheme. I am sure D Ash is concerned.

Guys...you are nitpicking Ketch;s A&M comment. His words were an elaboration on the idea that A&M is looking good and UT is looking bad this year. He, like each of us, is not always perfect in what he writes (Ketch, sorry to burst your bubble), but let's focus on the important point he was making: Our doing poorly and aggy's doing well this season is unfortunate and will have an impact on our recruiting in a heads-to-head competition.

Everyone can argue about the minutia as to each game, but the reality is A&M made a good hire while we did not AND A&M is being far more successful this year than I thought they would prior to the season. I thought that their QB being disliked for some of his comments about Sul Ross and aggy's not playing its normal cupcake OOC opponents would have an adverse impact on their record. They seem to be making progress while UT is stuck in the mud or maybe even regressing.
I mean... it was a random line with about 30 words in it out of a 4,000 word column.

As good as the defense was Saturday in so many aspects, if I was Brent Dearmon I would run WR screens on us all day. We have to figure out how to defend this type of scheme. I am sure D Ash is concerned.
He should be. It's not rocket science to know that's where one needs to attack.

He’s earned a title shot due to his winning streak but he’s still a level below Cormier and Jones. Got a chance against the new champ but needs to get it within 6-9 months before his window closes for good...
HE'S GETTING A TITLE SHOT!@!

ADVERTISEMENT