ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The good and bad of college football attrition...)

It's like 'bama game. Could we have beaten UF? Certainly. Would we have rolled over UF? Pretty silly notion.
Is that all you got? You read the entire column and all you could find to go all Scrooge on was the most literal intake possible on a buy or sell question and a silly misinterpretation over attrition.

Maybe sometimes you just shouldn't post for the sake of seeing your name on the screen.

How long have you been a member of the Communist Party, Sir?

It's like 'bama game. Could we have beaten UF? Certainly. Would we have rolled over UF? Pretty silly notion.
I had a buddy from Florida who passed away this year. We would debate this topic endlessly. Whenever he started bragging about their '08 title, I would tell him, at best, UF and UT were co- champs.

After all, we both finished with 1 loss and both beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.

Then he would tell me UF won the tie breaker - the team they lost to (Ole Miss) smoked the team we lost to (Tech) in the Cotton Bowl.

I never could come up with a counter argument to that last one.

I had a buddy from Florida who passed away this year. We would debate this topic endlessly. Whenever he started bragging about their '08 title, I would tell him, at best, UF and UT were co- champs.

After all, we both finished with 1 loss and both beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.

Then he would tell me UF won the tie breaker - the team they lost to (Ole Miss) smoked the team we lost to (Tech) in the Cotton Bowl.

I never could come up with a counter argument to that last one.
You can start by telling him that those games are not transitive properties. If he can't comprehend that (he is an SEC fan, after all), then you've won.

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
There is no problem with the attrition. As ususl, it's needed. Common sense should tell a person that it will lessen once Herman is entrenched and the 85 is made up of his guys. There's not a single thing he needs to change about it right now.

Exactly

Saying "Happy Memorial Day" or "have a great Memorial Day" are very common and accepted expressions. They don't imply that we should be happy when we remember our fallen soldiers, rather that we take the time to be happy while we're stopping down to celebrate their remembrance and sacrifice for our freedoms, which includes the freedom to be happy. There's not a single thing wrong with wishing someone a "Happy Memorial Day." This from a guy whose family (and buddies' families) knows and has lived that sacrifice.

Second, Fruity Pebbles are terrible, not least because they go soggy in about 4 seconds and you're left eating limp bits of disgusting, runny mush instead of cereal.

Third, the Beatles blow wet diarrhea ass, and that's literally the nicest thing I can say about them. I hate that stupid ass group of overrated assholes with the fire of a million suns.

Reactions: Walt Longmire
Saying "Happy Memorial Day" or "have a great Memorial Day" are very common and accepted expressions. They don't imply that we should be happy when we remember our fallen soldiers, rather that we take the time to be happy while we're stopping down to celebrate their remembrance and sacrifice for our freedoms, which includes the freedom to be happy. There's not a single thing wrong with wishing someone a "Happy Memorial Day." This from a guy whose family (and buddies' families) knows and has lived that sacrifice.

Second, Fruity Pebbles are terrible, not least because they go soggy in about 4 seconds and you're left eating limp bits of disgusting, runny mush instead of cereal.

Third, the Beatles blow wet diarrhea ass, and that's literally the nicest thing I can say about them. I hate that stupid ass group of overrated assholes with the fire of a million suns.
I don't agree with everything in this post, but I appreciate the spirit it was made with.

p.s. Gotta eat the fruity pebbles before it becomes mush. The window isn't large. It's why it's best to pour the milk in moderation.

With all due respect @Ketchum, Texas' problem since 2010 has not been the 70 players out of 157 recruited from 2010 - 2016 departing for various reasons... b/c none of them went on to do much with their respective football career's... the problem with Texas football has been what the 87 players who did not leave the program in that time span failed to become... very few of those guys turned into impact players, All-conference players and/or NFL Draft picks.

All great programs have attrition, the difference between those programs (Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, etc.) and Texas has been the fact that the power house programs find and develop impact players that influence the W/L column. Texas hasn't had enough of those type of guys over the last 7 years.

Failure to recruit and develop elite talent has crippled Texas, not the attrition. If that weren't the case, that list of departures would be littered with All-Americans and NFL draft picks. But it isn't.

Just my $0.02.

I tend to agree with you that attrition is not the bulk of the problem. Given "normal" attrition based on previous work Ketch has posted (if I'm not mistaken) we should have expected about 50 kids leaving vs the 70.

That is a healthy difference and undoubtedly contributed to the poor results - but we had enough talent to win more games than we did and at LEAST play .500 ball or better with the talent on hand.

Bad play, bad player development, bad coaching was the main problem.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hype squad. They are also responsible for several losses.

Mass attrition is simply the end result of many problems. It's not a cause. It's an effect. Not sure you clearly grasp the concept.

Yep, attrition is like sneezing when you have a cold ... it is just a symptom of a malady. A little attrition (like a sneeze here or there) is normal, while a lot of attrition (like a lot of sneezing) means the body is sick ... and our program has had a cold for 7 years now.

I tend to agree with you that attrition is not the bulk of the problem. Given "normal" attrition based on previous work Ketch has posted (if I'm not mistaken) we should have expected about 50 kids leaving vs the 70.

That is a healthy difference and undoubtedly contributed to the poor results - but we had enough talent to win more games than we did and at LEAST play .500 ball or better with the talent on hand.

Bad play, bad player development, bad coaching was the main problem.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hype squad. They are also responsible for several losses.
Literally, no one suggested it was the only problem.

If someone read the article and can't understand that extreme roster turnover can be an issue when it can't be controlled, I'm not sure that me holding their hand through the discussion will help.

Texas needs to stop averaging 40+ players worth of turnover every four years.

It needs that number to drop to 25-30 over the same time frame moving forward.

Damn Ketch, after reading this thread you seem to be the one nitpicking most comments. Relax brother, it's a holiday.

Damn Ketch, after reading this thread you seem to be the one nitpicking most comments. Relax brother, it's a holiday.
The only people I have nitpicked are the people who have incorrectly made assertions about what was written in the column, some of whom make a sport out of incorrectly nitpicking.;)

You married a woman who doesn't like the Beatles?

And he's fortunate that she also has bad taste in men? :D
Froot Loops over all

I'll see your fruit loops and raise a captain crunch the GOAT aka the top dog of the Mount Rushmore of breakfast cereals.

Fruity pebbles @Ketchum? Not sure it's even a top 5. If you have fruit pebbles at the top let's see your 2-5?

Literally, no one suggested it was the only problem.

If someone read the article and can't understand that extreme roster turnover can be an issue when it can't be controlled, I'm not sure that me holding their hand through the discussion will help.

Texas needs to stop averaging 40+ players worth of turnover every four years.

It needs that number to drop to 25-30 over the same time frame moving forward.

You obviously have little clue on this. Let me simplify for you. Once Herman solidifies the program, the attrition slows down accordingly. Really, that shouldn't be difficult to understand. Unless of course you somehow think it's just a coincidence we' ve had bigger attrition over the last 4-5 years which encompasses 3 different HCs compared to let's say '01-'05.

And fruity pebbles blow. Cocoa Pebbles beats it easily and Froot Loops blows it away.

And he's fortunate that she also has bad taste in men? :D

I'll see your fruit loops and raise a captain crunch the GOAT aka the top dog of the Mount Rushmore of breakfast cereals.

Fruity pebbles @Ketchum? Not sure it's even a top 5. If you have fruit pebbles at the top let's see your 2-5?
Yes I'll take that
My two favorites
Though Life cereal was also in the rotation

You obviously have little clue on this. Let me simplify for you. Once Herman solidifies the program, the attrition slows down accordingly. Really, that shouldn't be difficult to understand. Unless of course you somehow think it's just a coincidence we' ve had bigger attrition over the last 4-5 years which encompasses 3 different HCs compared to let's say '01-'05.
I have no clue, but I'm the only person on the planet that has actually done the research on this. I've actually had UT staffers thank me for the research because they had no idea.

Yes, it is possible that the attrition will slow down. My larger point is that it needs to because you can't be a championship team with the turnover that has taken place in the last decade.

I'm not even sure you read the article because I mention that what is taking place RIGHT NOW in the area of attrition is natural and needed.

The object of the column was to explain what the bigger picture over the last decade-plus looks like.

You're debating with me, despite the fact that my column's larger point is the one that you are also making.

The irony of you not understanding that is delicious. Just go enjoy your day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT