ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The good and bad of college football attrition...)

Yes I'll take that
My two favorites
Though Life cereal was also in the rotation

Life isn't bad and also was in the rotation. Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops and Coco Puffs would round out my top 5.

And he's fortunate that she also has bad taste in men? :D

I'll see your fruit loops and raise a captain crunch the GOAT aka the top dog of the Mount Rushmore of breakfast cereals.

Fruity pebbles @Ketchum? Not sure it's even a top 5. If you have fruit pebbles at the top let's see your 2-5?
Top five

1. Frioty Pebbles
2. Fruit Loops
3. Frosted Flakes
4. Captain Ctunch (Berries)
5. Honey Smacks

Top five

1. Frioty Pebbles
2. Fruit Loops
3. Frosted Flakes
5. Honey Smacks

I completely forgot about Frosted Flakes. Man I'm going to have to make an HEB now. C Cruch orig, with berries or even peanut butter all good but man fruity pebbles just a soggy bowl of mess for me.

The Beatles will always be the greatest band of all time and their music will be playing a thousand years from now. I have seen Paul live twice and little 4 and 5 year old kids know all the lyrics.

Enjoyed it all, as usual. And thanks, Ketch, for #10 especially. Well said.

Regarding a special uniform within 2 years, I really really hope not. I cannot understate how much I hate teams going away from their trademark uniforms that identify them. When the steelers wear their bumble bee uniforms they look like fools. When the aggies wear their all gray uniforms, you are not only taken aback by how ugly they are, but also wonder who the team is. When you find out its the aggies, you wonder how a team that prides itself on tradition to the point of being ridiculous can make this change. We have a classic and one of the most identifiable uniforms in football. I am proud that we haven't gotten caught up in this Nike inspired foolishness.

Regarding Kevin Durant, I don't understand how anyone can hold leaving the Thunder against him. Not only will this decision get him more rings, which he has the right to want to pursue, but it has enabled him to become a part of a historically great team. I agree that not only will the next two weeks define him more than the decision to take his talents west, but his career will be remembered as him being a part of a great team for years. His time at the Thunder will be but a footnote. Yes I miss the days of stability and players staying with a team, but those days ended a long time ago.

Reactions: KatyKid
Just as a follow-up to the larger point in the column's lede:

Massive decade-long attrition is how you end up with 11 seniors one year after having only a dozen or so (including walk-ons that were given scholarships) last year.

When was the last time the Longhorns had a large, leading the team senior class?

Top five

1. Frioty Pebbles
2. Fruit Loops
3. Frosted Flakes
5. Honey Smacks
Love 'em all... gotta go old school and refer to it as Sugar Smacks...

When I was a kid Fruit Loops was #1... as my palate matured, Sugar Smacks and Golden Grahams was 1a and 1b... followed closely by Cap'n Crunch... Golden Grahams is like crack now for me and my girls.

I had a buddy from Florida who passed away this year. We would debate this topic endlessly. Whenever he started bragging about their '08 title, I would tell him, at best, UF and UT were co- champs.

After all, we both finished with 1 loss and both beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.

Then he would tell me UF won the tie breaker - the team they lost to (Ole Miss) smoked the team we lost to (Tech) in the Cotton Bowl.

I never could come up with a counter argument to that last one.

1. Florida lost at home, Texas lost on the road.
2. Florida's schedule leading up to the Ole Miss game was Hawaii, Miami, Bye, at Tennessee. None ranked. Texas' schedule leading up to the Tech game was OU (#1), Missouri (#11), Oklahoma St. (#7) and at Tech (#6). Not at all comparable.
3. Bowl game results, in isolation, are questionable at best. Motivation heading in to bowl games is exceptionally difficult to gauge.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
1. Florida lost at home, Texas lost on the road.
2. Florida's schedule leading up to the Ole Miss game was Hawaii, Miami, Bye, at Tennessee. None ranked. Texas' schedule leading up to the Tech game was OU (#1), Missouri (#11), Oklahoma St. (#7) and at Tech (#6). Not at all comparable.
3. Bowl game results, in isolation, are questionable at best. Motivation heading in to bowl games is exceptionally difficult to gauge.
UT was lucky to beat Ohio State. Their heads weren't in that game.

I'll have to ask her, but she's typically not one to let me keep it on the Elvis channel, either.
That doesn't support my theory. Over the years I noticed that some of those who grew up with Elvis didn't really care for the Beatles (though not as much the other way all the time). My mom was all Elvis, all the time... she didn't own one Beatles album. I tried to listen later in life but could not get into it. My other theory was more of those in the Led Zeppelin vein weren't too jazzed about the Beatles. I will say that I gained some respect with their shift on the Helter Skelter song... showed some range there.

That doesn't support my theory. Over the years I noticed that some of those who grew up with Elvis didn't really care for the Beatles (though not as much the other way all the time). My mom was all Elvis, all the time... she didn't own one Beatles album. I tried to listen later in life but could not get into it. My other theory was more of those in the Led Zeppelin vein weren't too jazzed about the Beatles. I will say that I gained some respect with their shift on the Helter Skelter song... showed some range there.
Man, I don't know. She claims that she's always disliked them. Now I just think she's become a caricature of herself.;)

10 - one of your best - the families aren't always at the forefront of our remembrance on this day. No one should ever diminish the price paid by those lost in battle, but those who are left behind pay the price each and every day.

Never Forget -

10 - one of your best - the families aren't always at the forefront of our remembrance on this day. No one should ever diminish the price paid by those lost in battle, but those who are left behind pay the price each and every day.

Never Forget -
Amen.

The only people I have nitpicked are the people who have incorrectly made assertions about what was written in the column, some of whom make a sport out of incorrectly nitpicking.;)

Don't let the ball breakers get you down. Some people just can't enjoy anything.

I don't hate the Beatles, but they are vastly overrated. Way too pop and they put out a ton of crap along with a handful of good songs. I never cared for any of Paul's stuff.

Reactions: FrancoBevo
I don't hate the Beatles, but they are vastly overrated. Way too pop and they put out a ton of crap along with a handful of good songs. I never cared for any of Paul's stuff.

this, why does simply pointing out that they are overrated = I hate the Beatles? - I like them, I just think they are way overrated -

Reactions: batcity
Not a Beatles fan either. Your wife singing the Monkees is pretty funny.

The attrition issue is real. Bizarre how a lot around here celebrate it like it's just another scholarship opening...

it translates to essentially not having a recruiting class at all every other year for the last seven seasons.

More like program killer. Geezus this has got to stop indeed.

The attrition issue is real. Bizarre how a lot around here celebrate it like it's just another scholarship opening...
That's exactly how they see it. The lure of scholarship numbers is always a drug some can't rationalize themselves away from.

ADVERTISEMENT