ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The ice is as thin as it gets)

Is Herman riding Greg Ward Jr. or did he make him?
I must say, this is such a powerful quote with the current situation.....Greg Ward was a nobody who has turned into a blossoming QB, whereas Teddy B. was somebody and panned out and helped multiple coaches parlay that into a payday. People say Mack should give VY money back, what should Charlie be giving Teddy?

Is Herman riding Greg Ward Jr. or did he make him?
That is a great question. From Ward's soph season (pre-Herman) to his Jr season with Herman his YPA went from 7.2 to 8.4 and passer rating from 142 to 148. All stats improved but I would not say dramatically. It looks like the progression you get with one more year of experience. Again - not saying he isn't a great coach just saying the grass is always greener....

Unless there is an ethical reason I think a coach should get 4 years. That still would only get him 3 years with his recruits from full cycle. If I did not go to TX and have my loyalty there I would jump ship due to the often overheard vocal fan base that can be a bunch of whining, elitist blowhards.

I must say, this is such a powerful quote with the current situation.....Greg Ward was a nobody who has turned into a blossoming QB, whereas Teddy B. was somebody and panned out and helped multiple coaches parlay that into a payday. People say Mack should give VY money back, what should Charlie be giving Teddy?
yup

That is a great question. From Ward's soph season (pre-Herman) to his Jr season with Herman his YPA went from 7.2 to 8.4 and passer rating from 142 to 148. All stats improved but I would not say dramatically. It looks like the progression you get with one more year of experience. Again - not saying he isn't a great coach just saying the grass is always greener....

Unless there is an ethical reason I think a coach should get 4 years. That still would only get him 3 years with his recruits from full cycle. If I did not go to TX and have my loyalty there I would jump ship due to the often overheard vocal fan base that can be a bunch of whining, elitist blowhards.
I'm not sure that player rating tells the full story at all...

I'm not sure that player rating tells the full story at all...

That's rich! We use stats to say how bad of a coach Stong is but not to determine how good Herman is....

Tough to win any points with that analysis.

That's rich! We use stats to say how bad of a coach Stong is but not to determine how good Herman is....

Tough to win any points with that analysis.
I would suggest more stats and more context. I'm simply saying passer rating doesn't tell the entire story with Ward from 2014 to 2015.

No one thought he was a star 13 months ago.

I would suggest more stats and more context. I'm simply saying passer rating doesn't tell the entire story with Ward from 2014 to 2015.

No one thought he was a star 13 months ago.
Completion percentage was flat at 67%. Not saying a few stats make or break it with Ward just saying you cannot say it is clear with all the passing stats. As for Ward 13 mos ago you could say the same thing about Louisville QB. Also 3 weeks ago Charlie was a solid coach who had control of locker room and the koolaid was flowing. The fickleness of the posts is my point.

Completion percentage was flat at 67%. Not saying a few stats make or break it with Ward just saying you cannot say it is clear with all the passing stats. As for Ward 13 mos ago you could say the same thing about Louisville QB. Also 3 weeks ago Charlie was a solid coach who had control of locker room and the koolaid was flowing. The fickleness of the posts is my point.
Isn't the fickleness of Charlie's teams and game-day management the larger point?

Added context on Ward.

His YPA is up nearly two full yards in two seasons. Went from a 12/7 TD/INT radio to 17/6 in one year under Herman. Not only did the improvement come in the passing game, but his rushing numbers essentially doubled per game.

Hell, he was a part-time receiver in 2014 and the next year he was an All-America candidate.

Added context on Ward.

His YPA is up nearly two full yards in two seasons. Went from a 12/7 TD/INT radio to 17/6 in one year under Herman. Not only did the improvement come in the passing game, but his rushing numbers essentially doubled per game.

Hell, he was a part-time receiver in 2014 and the next year he was an All-America candidate.

So far the improvement in QB at TX this year over last has been better. Of course that is our OC not Charlie recruiting the right QB. At Houston it's all the head coach and not Applewhite. Funny how that works.

And my point exactly Ward was a part time receiver in 2014 and his passing stats were not dramatically improved yoy.

So far the improvement in QB at TX this year over last has been better. Of course that is our OC not Charlie recruiting the right QB. At Houston it's all the head coach and not Applewhite. Funny how that works.

And my point exactly Ward was a part time receiver in 2014 and his passing stats were not dramatically improved yoy.
giphy.gif

Reactions: DanielSucks
Charlie ain't within a 10-foot pole of Mackovic.

In what regard? As in, "he's not nearly as big an insuffrable A-hole?"

Look, I will fully admit, I didn't like Mackovic for several reasons beyond W/L record and some of it was personal. And I'll even admit a little further, when a guy as charismatic as Mack Brown follows you, it can make you look like an even bigger conceited, withdrawn, elitist prick in hindsight. And it did.

Me no likey John Mackovic.

Recruiting is far down the list of what is important right now.
I respectively disagree. You ALWAYS have to keep one hand on the recruiting rudder. The numbers bear it out. Other than a few outliers, good recruiting turns into good seasons.

It would be different if his players didn't like him. If he was Mangino or that fat, bag of turds who coached ND before Brian Kelly, then yeah, axe him. But these guys are hoisting CS when they win a big game. The players still like him.

In what regard? As in, "he's not nearly as big an insuffrable A-hole?"

Look, I will fully admit, I didn't like Mackovic for several reasons beyond W/L record and some of it was personal. And I'll even admit a little further, when a guy as charismatic as Mack Brown follows you, it can make you look like an even bigger conceited, withdrawn, elitist prick in hindsight. And it did.

Me no likey John Mackovic.
See 1995 and 1996 seasons.

as opposed to 0 for 3?
Mackovic was 6-5, 5-5-1 his first two. He 'rallied' to go 7-4 and won a minor bowl game in year 3. If Charlie 'rallies' and goes 7-5 or 8-4 and wins a minor bowl their tenures to this point will be similar.

Don't get me wrong. I think barring some sort of Biblical miracle Charlie should be dismissed. But let's not act like Mackovic was more than he was.

Reactions: benflr
Isn't the fickleness of Charlie's teams and game-day management the larger point?
Watching Charlie's presser is the same after every loss.

"Fundamentals and Technique. Guys, you're right there, go make a play. We are pressing so much and one bad play leads to another."

Mackovic was 6-5, 5-5-1 his first two. He 'rallied' to go 7-4 and won a minor bowl game in year 3. If Charlie 'rallies' and goes 7-5 or 8-4 and wins a minor bowl their tenures to this point will be similar.

Don't get me wrong. I think barring some sort of Biblical miracle Charlie should be dismissed. But let's not act like Mackovic was more than he was.
well, he was.

He was what? One of the few coaches who could have a team loaded with NFLers and lose 5 in '96 and go 4-7 in '97?

Not sure what point you're going for here. I know Mackovic's record. Thru 2.5 years wasn't much better than CS.
NO matter how one spins it, he won the last SWC and the first Big 12 title.

That's infinitely more success than Strong, even if the length of tenures makes it unfair.

NO matter how one spins it, he won the last SWC and the first Big 12 title.

That's infinitely more success than Strong, even if the length of tenures makes it unfair.
is Mackovic in the room with you?

No spin from me. Those are facts and I loved those years. The 95 aggy win was one of my all timers.

And yes, his 6 year tenure had more success than Charlie has had in 2.33 years. And Mackovic's 2.33 record was similar to Charlie's. Those are also facts.

I guess I'm missing the point.

ADVERTISEMENT