ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The ice is as thin as it gets)

Nothing is certain but securing Herman has the feel of a 20-25 year decision that could produce DKR or Mack like tenures.

His teams are tough, fast, disciplined, sound in all phases, inspired and fun to watch. What is not to like?

Reactions: horns--21
BUY or SELL: If Geoff Ketchum was Athletic Director of the University of Texas, he would fire Charlie Strong today?

(Sell) That would create a disaster for 2017 recruiting. The worst thing that could happen for the Longhorns is for the assistant coaches to stop caring about recruiting in the name of setting up next year’s job. You can’t have commitments and key targets hanging out in limbo for a couple of months. What Texas needs more than anything else is for the current staff to coach for the school as fully committed as possible and then the change in coaches needs to happen as quickly and as seamlessly as possible once the season concludes.
I wish you could pin this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ for all those who want or expect a mid season firing to occur.

I am amazed that we run, with success between the tackles but it is almost non-existent to see a pass thrown between the hashes. The only pass plays we have under 10 yards are the hitch, WR screen and quick pass to Oliver. No slants. No drags. Notta.

If(When) Texas fires Strong and goes after Herman. If UH makes playoffs do we wait until the middle of January to name a couch. I don't see Herman leaving UH before he gets his shot.
probably

As to number 7 - why is everyone so sure that Romo will start once healthy. The team is playing winning ball while making almost zero mistakes. I just don't think it is as automatic a decision as is being portrayed. Dark had two HUGE drives to end halves that won this game. That's not just being a caretaker, that's being an NFL quarterback, you don't sit those on the bench unless you're an idiot.
Because Jerry makes no boned about it.

"Nobody wins, not the kids not the program".

LSU disagrees. They enjoyed a nice win and seem fine with Lester kicking rocks.

Yea, we also see how well it has worked out for USC in the long run.

Yea, we also see how well it has worked out for USC in the long run.
Cause they hired an alcoholic, then were afraid to re-hire so they kept the interim? I think Herman's skins on the wall are a little superior to Sarkesian right now...

Cause they hired an alcoholic, then were afraid to re-hire so they kept the interim? I think Herman's skins on the wall are a little superior to Sarkesian right now...

Sark wasn't the first mid-season fire, look at Kiffin. Some have pointed to the way they handled Kiffin and the eventual debacle of Sark as reasons why they couldn't get a legitimate HC to really consider them after this last go round. They are now talking about firing their 3rd HC in 4 years.

Sark wasn't the first mid-season fire, look at Kiffin. Some have pointed to the way they handled Kiffin and the eventual debacle of Sark as reasons why they couldn't get a legitimate HC to really consider them after this last go round. They are now talking about firing their 3rd HC in 4 years.
Apples to Oranges. They weren't getting the shit kicked out of them every other week in year 3

He's literally not posted in this thread.
It's in the mood thread...basically saying, do you actually believe Strong hasn't been the one handling the defense, especially last week? Do you actually believe it was Bedfords hand print on the game?

Apples to Oranges. They weren't getting the shit kicked out of them every other week in year 3

Dumpster fire is dumpster fire, and right now UT is a dumpster fire. 3 OC's in 3 years, constant public speculation about coach's jobs and everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that the BMD in Houston don't do anything stupid. Yea, apples to oranges.

It's in the mood thread...basically saying, do you actually believe Strong hasn't been the one handling the defense, especially last week? Do you actually believe it was Bedfords hand print on the game?
I went back in the thread and answered. All of Saturday was on Charlie, not Vance.

Dumpster fire is dumpster fire, and right now UT is a dumpster fire. 3 OC's in 3 years, constant public speculation about coach's jobs and everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that the BMD in Houston don't do anything stupid. Yea, apples to oranges.
The BMD's in Houston want Tom Herman. Anything that takes place that achieves that goal is a win.

The A&M defense was TERRIBLE before Chavis. Now they're playing at a very high level, that's a result of very good coaching. That's something Strong is not capable of doing.
Doesn't hurt to have the best defensive player in college football. Miles is a monster. But yeah, coaching matters. Despite some play calling and personnel issues/concerns, look at what our offense has become since last year...with a true frosh running point. Again, coaching matters.

One of the biggest BMD in Houston. Has NOT contacted Herman or anybody connected to him yet. Nor will he, he trust Fenves. But he has voiced his opinion numerous times over the past 6 months.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
Ketch, really solid write-up. Captain Obvious statement: this is extremely disheartening to be in this position. But it is what it is. I along with what appears to be errrybody have accepted reality. A reality that says Charlie is an absolutely horrible head coach.

I think with each and every week that passes, the narrative may change about WHEN Strong is relieved of his duties. I say that because optics and perception matter. If we get our asses handed to us this weekend and lose to Iowa State...recruiting is going to take a monster hit. It is already looking like Charlie is losing the locker room which to me is the death nail. You (Fenves) cannot allow the program to be a punch line if we keep getting embarrassed. Pull the plug during the season and allow your current players and recruits the chance to understand this is not acceptable, we are better than this and we will get it right. Even if you can't theoretically hire the next guy before January.

If on the flip side, Strong somehow makes this team competitive for most of the season, maybe you don't need to fire him during the season even if the losses pile up. It may be viewed as being respectful to the man that is universally respected.

If it were up to me and we lose by something north of 17 points to OU, I would fire him. I think the most importantly (weirdly enough) is managing the public persona of the program in when you fire him. Not a chance he should come back next year. Just a matter of when.

Jason Washington is special teams coordinator at U of H, and they are solid. Of course, in addition to Major as QBs/OC Herman has Oscar Giles (Asst. Head Coach, D line) and Darrell Wyatt (WRs, recruiting coordinator) on his staff. And Charlie kept only Bruce Chambers...

Ketch two questions for you,

What makes everyone think Herman will stay in Texas or is a Texas boy considering he grew up California and went to college there(has spent less than 11 of his 41 years in Texas). Don't you think USC would be a more attractive option considering he would be closer to his family?

Why do you think Charlie will retain Bedford considering that his comments regarding the abilities of underclassmen and Malik seem to have cause his players to not want to play for him. If he is really the cancer of the defense that is being reported don't you think the best thing to get this defense back track is to cut him out?

"I didn’t think we’d end up saying this as of a few years ago, but Phil Mickelson has carved out a very nice Ryder Cup career. His match against Sergio featured some of the best play I’ve seen all year."

He's below .500 overall. He's .500 in singles matches. And his team record is 3-8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT