Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The latest on Micah Hudson isn't great...)

I understand and appreciate your list but don't agree with several of the rankings. For example, as it relates to Dickerson, I would ask you what years Dickerson had a real qb and when teams played the Rams they typically stacked the box and still could not stop him. What did the trade to Indy do to him as far as the quality of the offense that he was in.

Dickerson has three records that have stood for decades and may not be broken for several more particularly with how the modern game devalues RB's in comparison to the past. No one has rushed for more yards as a rookie (1,808), in a playoff game (248) or in a single season (2,105).

And I liked Ladanian, but he isn't better than OJ, or Dorsett or Peterson. He had substantially more rushes and receptions than Tony and not because he was a better runner or receiver. LT 3,174 carries 13,684 yds w/ 624 receptions for 4,772 yds.

Tony had 2,936 carries for 12,739 yds w/ 398 catches for 3,554 yds. Tony had 238 fewer carries and 226 fewer passes thrown to him than LT. (Here is your opening) With the same # of carries Tony would project to 13,762 rushing yards and If you assess LT's avg carries per year from 2001-2007 LT had well over 300 rushing attempts each year. Tony given the same # of attempts is right there with LT or surpasses LT in yards and LT was never the threat that Tony was when he touched the baall

Tony during the same # of years 1977-1983 had 300 attempts only once. Tom approached things differently than did the coach at San Diego. LT was a great back but he isn't better than those three guys and stats often fail to convey the whole picture.
I love Tony Dorsett. I'm not mad at anyone that believes he should be ahead of some of the players on the list.

Same with Dickerson to a degree.

Reactions: Seminole1981
Ricky at best had 4th best NFL career amongst Texas RBs
As I said his NFL career did not play out as well as it could have with the injury and the weed suspensions and long camping trip but you do know he is Texas’ all time leading NFL rusher right? Even while missing multiple season in his prime.

Reactions: Schaffer2019
Most of the greatest running backs in NFL history played on mediocre teams. It’s uncanny. The defense had one player to stop - that’s it. Emmitt was a stud. He played with one of the greatest collections of offensive talent ever. The Cowboys would have still been champs with ANY of the top ten backs listed. That kinda makes Emmitt both over and under rated.
I agree. I think Emmit was great. I don't have a problem him being #1 on Ketchs list. I have more of a problem with Ketch saying without a doubt he is better than Sanders. I would have zero issues with someone putting Sanders at #1.

Reactions: PreamoHorn
Probably. His QBs sucked. His offensive line was average at best. He never had a great coach. Emmitt has greater team achievements. But Barry was the better running back.

smoke-puff-puff-pass.gif

I agree. I think Emmit was great. I don't have a problem him being #1 on Ketchs list. I have more of a problem with Ketch saying without a doubt he is better than Sanders. I would have zero issues with someone putting Sanders at #1.

Why is Jerry Rice the best wide receiver of all-time?

I love Tony Dorsett. I'm not mad at anyone that believes he should be ahead of some of the players on the list.

Same with Dickerson to a degree.
And Ketch we all appreciate the time you, and the rest of the team, put into the articles and podcast particularly the article each Sunday as we all understand the time that takes away from your family. Thanks again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ketchum
Yes. I understand your point about surrounding talent. Still, if you put Randy Moss on the Niners …….
lulz

Again, why IS Jerry Rice viewed as the greatest wide receiver of all-time?

The mental gymnastics you guys do in order to justify your agenda is funny. You have to create a fictitious reality to get Sanders close to Emmitt, but for Emmitt it’s just reality. One guy actually did the damn thing and the other….you’re inventing magical scenarios. It’s crazy talk.

The mental gymnastics you guys do in order to justify your agenda is funny. You have to create a fictitious reality to get Sanders close to Emmitt, but for Emmitt it’s just reality. One guy actually did the damn thing and the other….you’re inventing magical scenarios. It’s crazy talk.

It's wild to see every single person I've challenged to explain Jerry's Rice's case for being the best receiver of all-time fail to do so.

lulz

Again, why IS Jerry Rice viewed as the greatest wide receiver of all-time?
I’d say it’s the amount of separation from his contemporaries. The eye ball test tells me that Moss is in the same zip code. I can’t believe you are going to the mat that Emmitt is better than Walter Payton or Sanders or Brown.

1. Running backs generally get the ball on less than half of the offensive snaps. What they do when they don't get the ball counts. Emmitt was one of the best pass blocking RBs in the history of the game. Sanders was known to be pretty uninterested in that aspect of the game.

2. Sanders clearly has the better highlight reel, but what about his lowlight reel? I would bet that the worst 30% of his carries look significantly worse than Smith's worst 30%.

3. With Detroit losing so much, Sanders had more carries against prevent-type defenses, while also being in a run&shoot offense that spread the defense out. While this wasn't a great formula for winning, it was a great formula for racking up plenty of cheap, non-impactful yards.

4. The fact that Detroit used to take Sanders out at the goal line because of his penchant for negative plays is pretty damning.

5. The only 2 Dallas O linemen anybody would've heard of without Emmitt being there were Eric Williams and Larry Allen. The others were journeymen without him. Period.

6. Take Emmitt off those Cowboys teams and they wouldn't have won jack shit.

It's wild to see every single person I've challenged to explain Jerry's Rice's case for being the best receiver of all-time fail to do so.
If it were in the court of law, the case for Sanders would be thrown out with too much circumstantial evidence.

Reactions: Ketchum

This is where I land. So many "ifs" have to be inserted.

History is littered with guys whose careers were shortened by injury , but for me you can't assume they'd produce had they not been injured.

Reactions: McGuapo
As I said his NFL career did not play out as well as it could have with the injury and the weed suspensions and long camping trip but you do know he is Texas’ all time leading NFL rusher right? Even while missing multiple season in his prime.

Of course I’m aware. I’m also aware that in no way means he had a better career than Earl, Priest and even J-Charles

Damn I remember Barry Sanders getting pulled in goal to goal possessions while Emmitt was not.
People will say that’s on the coaches true enough but Emmitt was going to get in the end zone.

Reactions: leej4445
Why is Jerry Rice considered the best receiver of all-time?
None of us care about your question and don’t feel the need to answer your question to try and justify it for you.
But I’ll bite - What does Jerry Rice have to do with Emmitt vs. Barry?

Reactions: horns--21
Rice played in 85 more games than Moss. If you take Moss’ rec/game (4.5) and multiply it by 85 that adds 382 catches which would give him 5962 more yards and 61 more TDs based on his historical averages per catch.
He would still have 184 catches less than Rice (Moss averaged 0.6 receptions/game less than Rice) but he’d have 19 more TDs and trail Rice by 1641 yards. If he gets the same number of receptions as Rice he passes him on yards rather easily

This is where I land. So many "ifs" have to be inserted.

History is littered with guys whose careers were shortened by injury , but for me you can't assume they'd produce had they not been injured.
Exactly. If if and ands were pots and pans the world would be a kitchen. You don’t just get to assume, when there’s a dude that actually did that shit.

Reactions: leej4445 and pied
People romanticize a lovable loser, while hating the guy that’s actually standing atop the podium. It’s the American way. Credit and make excuses for people seem as victims that never did it, while tearing down people that actually did it by discrediting them. People tried to discredit Brady for years but he finally made it so absurd that you just can’t say shit anymore.

Reactions: RLong68 and Ketchum
Jerry rice is better as a wr than emmit is as a rb

But I’d say that he isn’t the best wr of all time

Emmitt is the Hall of Fame player. The others were his band of merry men.

That's just a fact.

Most of these guys were complete Jags before he arrived. Look up Tuinei and Newton's careers pre-1990.
I watched them play. I saw the gaping holes he ran through. Saw the holes that Daryl Johnston cleaned out. Without great blocking no back can be great. Agree that Emmitt was great by any standard. Ricky would be in the HOF if he had run behind the Dallas line.

Listening to Ketch - I'm laughing at his points / they sound worse as he explains them in real time

Mentions First team all Pro as if they were the same when Barry made it 6x and Smith made it 4x

Reactions: PreamoHorn