Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The latest on Micah Hudson isn't great...)

I watched them play. I saw the gaping holes he ran through. Saw the holes that Daryl Johnston cleaned out. Without great blocking no back can be great. Agree that Emmitt was great by any standard. Ricky would be in the HOF if he had run behind the Dallas line.

That's an opinion.

That's an opinion.
Of course it's an opinion, but it is one based on having watched how hard Ricky played and ran on the terrible teams he played on where he got little blocking. He still rushed for over 10,000 yards, more than Earl gained in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong. Earl had by far the better pro career. My point is that Ricky was held back by playing on truly awful teams.

Last edited:
So the Buffalo Bills magically score 40 more points if the cowboys don’t have Emmitt ?? Cmon. Cowboys were a dynasty.
You don't think running the ball and controlling the time of possession affects the other team's offense? C'mon. Get back to me when you understand football.

I’d say it’s the amount of separation from his contemporaries. The eye ball test tells me that Moss is in the same zip code. I can’t believe you are going to the mat that Emmitt is better than Walter Payton or Sanders or Brown.

Jerry Rice is the GOAT at his position for three reasons.

a. he has the greatest numbers.
b. he won the most championships.
c. He performed at his absolute best when the stakes were the highest.

Who does that sound like?

1. Running backs generally get the ball on less than half of the offensive snaps. What they do when they don't get the ball counts. Emmitt was one of the best pass blocking RBs in the history of the game. Sanders was known to be pretty uninterested in that aspect of the game.

2. Sanders clearly has the better highlight reel, but what about his lowlight reel? I would bet that the worst 30% of his carries look significantly worse than Smith's worst 30%.

3. With Detroit losing so much, Sanders had more carries against prevent-type defenses, while also being in a run&shoot offense that spread the defense out. While this wasn't a great formula for winning, it was a great formula for racking up plenty of cheap, non-impactful yards.

4. The fact that Detroit used to take Sanders out at the goal line because of his penchant for negative plays is pretty damning.

5. The only 2 Dallas O linemen anybody would've heard of without Emmitt being there were Eric Williams and Larry Allen. The others were journeymen without him. Period.

6. Take Emmitt off those Cowboys teams and they wouldn't have won jack shit.
winning independence day GIF by IFC

Reactions: leej4445
None of us care about your question and don’t feel the need to answer your question to try and justify it for you.
But I’ll bite - What does Jerry Rice have to do with Emmitt vs. Barry?
Answer that simple question and you'll have your answer.

So the Buffalo Bills magically score 40 more points if the cowboys don’t have Emmitt ?? Cmon. Cowboys were a dynasty.
Also, before the Super Bowl you're talking about, the Cowboys would've lost to SF in the NFC championship without Emmitt. He had 173 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs in a 30-20 victory. So, no, the Cowboys wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without Emmitt. Facts matter.

Rice played in 85 more games than Moss. If you take Moss’ rec/game (4.5) and multiply it by 85 that adds 382 catches which would give him 5962 more yards and 61 more TDs based on his historical averages per catch.
He would still have 184 catches less than Rice (Moss averaged 0.6 receptions/game less than Rice) but he’d have 19 more TDs and trail Rice by 1641 yards. If he gets the same number of receptions as Rice he passes him on yards rather easily

Moss wasn't able to sustain his greatness. That's part of the deal.

When Jerry Rice was 33, he caught 122 passes for 1,848 yards and 15 touchdowns.

When Randy Moss was 33, he caught 28 passes for 393 yards and 5 touchdowns.

It's not Jerry's fault that Randy burned out earlier.

This is without getting into the championships that Jerry won.

In the biggest game of Randy Moss' life, he caught 5 passes for 62 yards... and his team lost by 3.

Jerry Rice never let that happen.

Reactions: wfoot1 and leej4445
Clearly, you didn't watch those teams closely.
Wut. You mean the team that won 3 Super Bowls and beat the Niners - another dynasty. You have got to be kidding. I hated the Cowboys. They kicked ass and took names. The depth on both sides was crazy. Jimmy Johnson accumulated soooo much talent. You must have some Emmitt Smith trading cards and you are trying to inflate their value.

I watched them play. I saw the gaping holes he ran through. Saw the holes that Daryl Johnston cleaned out. Without great blocking no back can be great. Agree that Emmitt was great by any standard. Ricky would be in the HOF if he had run behind the Dallas line.
If this, if that...

All that matters is what actually happened.

Listening to Ketch - I'm laughing at his points / they sound worse as he explains them in real time

Mentions First team all Pro as if they were the same when Barry made it 6x and Smith made it 4x

I'm laughing at your inability to understand conversation.

Jerry Rice is the GOAT at his position for three reasons.

a. he has the greatest numbers.
b. he won the most championships.
c. He performed at his absolute best when the stakes were the highest.

Who does that sound like?
A. is a factor in the analysis for greatest of all time (or for a specific position) but not the only factor.

B. is not a factor. We're talking about the greatest player. Not the greatest player on the best team. Whether a player is drafted by a well-run, intelligent organization as opposed to a group of morons should have no bearing on how good or great a player is or is not. Sorry.

C. is a factor in the analysis for greatest of all time (or for a specific position) but not the only factor.

This is what you forgot and cannot be left out of the equation.

D. What do their opponents who played against them say? This, IMO, is one of the most important factors. And the players say Barry.

Also, before the Super Bowl you're talking about, the Cowboys would've lost to SF in the NFC championship without Emmitt. He had 173 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs in a 30-20 victory. So, no, the Cowboys wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without Emmitt. Facts matter.

On a terrible field, he dominated one of the best teams in the history of the league.

On their field.

When they knew he was the guy they HAD to stop.

Reactions: leej4445
No one said Emmitt was a scrub. Again. How many teams featured a hall of fame QB and Wide receiver??? Dallas defense was awesome. Any of the top ten running backs listed would have absolutely killed in that offense.

A. is a factor in the analysis for greatest of all time (or for a specific position) but not the only factor.

B. is not a factor. We're talking about the greatest player. Not the greatest player on the best team. Whether a player is drafted by a well-run, intelligent organization as opposed to a group of morons should have no bearing on how good or great a player is or is not. Sorry.

C. is a factor in the analysis for greatest of all time (or for a specific position) but not the only factor.

D. What do their opponents who played against them say? This, IMO, is one of the most important factors. And the players say Barry.
lol

Literally every sport determines its best players by who wins the most at the absolute highest levels.

No one said Emmitt was a scrub. Again. How many teams featured a hall of fame QB and Wide receiver??? Dallas defense was awesome. Any of the top ten running backs listed would have absolutely killed in that offense.
except they did.

Emmitt did.

I can Charles Barkley would have won 2-5 rings if he played on the Pistons instead of the Sixers during the Bad Boys years, but that didn't happen.

It matters that he never won a ring. It matters that Karl Malone never won a ring.

It matters that Hakeem did.

(Sell) Texas had already played for a Big 12 title in 2001, won 11 games in the previous two season and had finished in the top 10 in two of the previous three seasons (top 12 in the four previous seasons). I don't know if you remember the off-season in 2003, but things were a lot more angst-fueled back then as Greg Davis being in charge of the offense going into 2004 made the upcoming season feel quite different. I remember doing a speaking engagement with the UT-exes group in Nashville. The very first question came from a gentleman that asked if Davis was going to be the OC in the future. When I told him that Davis was safe, he literally got up and walked out of the event. So, no, 2004 and 2023 don't quite feel the same to me.

===========================================================

This wasn't the same guy who got up in your face in Dallas one time that was on a mission to stalk you was it?

Moss wasn't able to sustain his greatness. That's part of the deal.

When Jerry Rice was 33, he caught 122 passes for 1,848 yards and 15 touchdowns.

When Randy Moss was 33, he caught 28 passes for 393 yards and 5 touchdowns.

It's not Jerry's fault that Randy burned out earlier.

This is without getting into the championships that Jerry won.

In the biggest game of Randy Moss' life, he caught 5 passes for 62 yards... and his team lost by 3.

Jerry Rice never let that happen.
Health was an issue for Randy and ya he also spent majority of his career with Dante Culpepper. The notion that Jerry is the greatest and it ain’t close is ridiculous when one normalizes the statistics on a per catch or per game basis. Moss spent his prime years in Minnesota and Oakland…good grief

Last edited:
Imagine thinking the guy with resume No.2 is better than the guy with resume No.1

Resume No.1

1684781361402.png

Resume No.2

1684781380085.png

(Sell) Texas had already played for a Big 12 title in 2001, won 11 games in the previous two season and had finished in the top 10 in two of the previous three seasons (top 12 in the four previous seasons). I don't know if you remember the off-season in 2003, but things were a lot more angst-fueled back then as Greg Davis being in charge of the offense going into 2004 made the upcoming season feel quite different. I remember doing a speaking engagement with the UT-exes group in Nashville. The very first question came from a gentleman that asked if Davis was going to be the OC in the future. When I told him that Davis was safe, he literally got up and walked out of the event. So, no, 2004 and 2023 don't quite feel the same to me.

===========================================================

This wasn't the same guy who got up in your face in Dallas one time that was on a mission to stalk you was it?
Ha, no, two different guys.

Reactions: Dave C2
Health was an issue for Randy and ya he also spent majority of his career with Dante Culpupper. The notion that Jerry is the greatest and it ain’t close is ridiculous when one normalizes the statistics on a per catch or per game basis. Moss spent his prime years in Minnesota and Oakland…good grief
Players that rank behind Culpepper in all-time passer rating:

Dan Marino
Brett Favre
Donovan McNabb

Of course it's an opinion, but it is one based on having watched how hard Ricky played and ran on the terrible teams he played on where he got little blocking. He still rushed for over 10,000 yards, more than Earl gained in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong. Earl had by far the better pro career. My point is that Ricky was held back by playing on truly awful teams.

Ricky held Ricky back more than any team.

Sayers almost made the list. He received strong consideration, along with Marcus Allen and Thurman Thomas.
Sayers played at the wrong time. I wonder how much modern knee surgery technology would have added to his career?

But then, maybe he wouldn't have been the same Gale Sayers.