ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The Modern Scholarship Reform Act)

The statement that people watch burnt orange jerseys and not Earl Campbell, Ricky, Vince, and even Mejohn for that matter, is honestly one of the most head-scratching elements of this debate.

One good Aggie football player created some 500% increase in donations from one year to the next. The #2 Aggie jersey was meaningless, until one good player pulled it over his head. Now it's in my local Academy store.

But it's just the jersey and not the guy, right?

Originally posted by 1011marytime:
The statement that people watch burnt orange jerseys and not Earl Campbell, Ricky, Vince, and even Mejohn for that matter, is honestly one of the most head-scratching elements of this debate.

One good Aggie football player created some 500% increase in donations from one year to the next. The #2 Aggie jersey was meaningless, until one good player pulled it over his head. Now it's in my local Academy store.

If Johnny Manziel has the exact same seasons at Texas State, does anyone know his name?

If he left out if HS for CFL he gets paid less than his scholarship value.

Originally posted by MauiHorn:
I wonder how Ash felt knowing Wittek was watching the scrimmage. If Wittek goes for it, Ash will know he will have a good fight on his hands for the starting role. I assume coach CS has told everyone its there for the taking.
I think the pressure is on every kid on the roster. It's show business, not show friends.

I think the increase in donations was a result of fundraising for their stadium upgrades, not manziel.

Originally posted by MauiHorn:
Forgot to ask. What % do you give us in landing Myles Turner? Could be the next KD at UT.
80-percent

Let's not go THAT far.

Originally posted by D_End37:
So, "Top Gun II" is basically going to = "Stealth". Great job Hollywood.
Oh, I expect it to be worse than this.

th

Originally posted by FrancoBevo:
The NCAA need to hold their ground period. These student athletes need to understand that the only reason i pay even a nickel to watch them play is because they are wearing my school's colors. And that is true for every single person that plunks down any cash to support college sports. The schools have paid the 100's of millions to get it to the point where they are getting a return on investment and now the students want to cry foul. I'd call their bluff. Let them go build their own stadiums, hire their own coaches and negotiate their own TV deals and then get a fan base that plunk down the cash to come watch them play. Good luck with that by the way.....

If they continue down this path, they will destroy college sports. There will 25 schools that will be able to afford football which will eliminate scholarship opportunities for 100's of other students that will no longer get them at places like Northern Illinois or other places like that.

People who support this are just incredibly naive idealists who can't get past the misguided concept of "fair" - it's no different than the guy who never quits bitching about his pay, that dude can always go start his own company and pay himself whatever he wants......funny how that person rarely does....
Mark Emmert, is that you?

The players should play for the love of the game, everyone else should cash the checks. If not, the world will crumble. Got it.

Originally posted by SpaceCityWrangler:
No way Wittek beats out Ash.
No way?

If that's the case, why would Wittek even glance at Texas?

Originally posted by robtex81:
On 1 & 2:

So there will only be 20 to 30 teams at the adult table (and that sounds like fun?);
You really think the NCAA can "police" all the requirements;
A bidding war for athletes' endorsements (all legal mind you) won't occur and this will help team chemistry;
You really think lots of programs won't drop Olympic sports, golf, etc.?
a. The numbers will be higher than you think. More like 60-80.

b. I think it had better be able to better police itself in all areas.

c. Team chemistry concerns aren't important to the conversation. It's not on the players to own all fallout issues.

d. I think you can include language in the reform that protects those sports.

I'm very happy to hear you gave the Velvet Underground a chance and am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

If your feeling adventurous again, give the Butthole Surfers a shot. Austin band that have their place in rock history with great live sows and mind blowingly innovative recordings. Everything before Independent Worm Saloon is a masterpiece IMHO!

Originally posted by manimalRox:
Originally posted by FrancoBevo
The NCAA need to hold their ground period. These student athletes need to understand that the only reason i pay even a nickel to watch them play is because they are wearing my school's colors. And that is true for every single person that plunks down any cash to support college sports. The schools have paid the 100's of millions to get it to the point where they are getting a return on investment and now the students want to cry foul. I'd call their bluff. Let them go build their own stadiums, hire their own coaches and negotiate their own TV deals and then get a fan base that plunk down the cash to come watch them play. Good luck with that by the way.....

If they continue down this path, they will destroy college sports. There will 25 schools that will be able to afford football which will eliminate scholarship opportunities for 100's of other students that will no longer get them at places like Northern Illinois or other places like that.

People who support this are just incredibly naive idealists who can't get past the misguided concept of "fair" - it's no different than the guy who never quits bitching about his pay, that dude can always go start his own company and pay himself whatever he wants......funny how that person rarely does....
Couldn't have said it better. Sounds a lot like share the wealth gibberish.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Curious... when you accept a job, is it your impression that the pay/benefits will never change no matter how long you work there based on the original agreement with the company?

Eliminating thousands of scholarships so a few football players can make an extra few grand makes perfect sense.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by SMS777:

Well said, Franco.
Not really. Not at least if taking more than a short-sighted view of the situation is a requirement for the conversation. A line by line assessment of his comments wouldn't be pretty.

"Let them build their own stadiums."

"Let them hire their own coaches."

Originally posted by Mi Rey:
Ketch, based on information to date, how do you rate your concern that CS/Texas will be able to win the battle for talent:

1. Not worried at all. We will return to the position of dominating the battle for in state talent.
2. Not worried at all, we will get plenty of in state top talent and fill in the gaps with OOS talent.
3. I'm a little worried, but I have faith that CS will win the battle eventually, he just needs some time.
4. I'm a a little worried, we don't seem to have as much traction as I thought we might with CS at the helm.
5. I'm worried.
6. Choose your own words
I'm not one to worry about these things, but a combination of two and three is probably a fair position.

Originally posted by dallashorn02:

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Here are the major pieces of reform legislation that I would propose the NCAA voluntarily offer:

I. All student-athletes will have full medical coverage during their time as student athletes and if an injury occurs within their sport that requires treatment beyond their time as student-athletes, they'll continue to receive coverage.

II. All student-athletes will receive an added $10,000 cost-of-living benefit as part of their scholarship package that will be placed into a trust account and paid out upon their graduation from the university. If a student-athlete becomes injured and cannot compete athletically, as long as they graduate, they will receive the full value of the cost-of-living benefit. If a student-athlete is dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules, stipulated in their scholarship agreement, they forfeit the funds in their account.
Fixed the second part. If we're going to do this, let's do it right and make education mean something. The above proposal will result in many program cuts, costing thousands of kids a chance to play collegiate athletics. So at the very least, for the ones that do survive, going to class will mean something and not be a complete waste of time for professors, tutors, etc.
The scare mongers have brain-washed you well if you believe that a project that requires an investment o a few million annuallt is going to cripple schools. Booster donations alone can cover the costs at most schools.

Those that it can't don't warrant a free ride and the current upside down mess. It's not on the shoulders of the players, at least it shouldn't be, to carry the burden of everyone.

Originally posted by tgf9898:

No. It's very different than a guy bitching about his pay. That guy is legally entitled to sell his services to another company that pays more if his current one underpays him because we have a functioning capitalist economy in which indentured servitude is legally barred.

The NCAA is telling people from whose efforts it's members are signing multi-hundred million dollar broadcasting deals that they have to work with severe wage restrictions and give up their right to sign contracts using even their own names and likenesses in order to participate in a system over which it holds a de facto monopoly. Microsoft and Google can't get together and agree to drastic joint limits on pay of their new software people and if they do, then: 1. the software people are entitled to and should be bitching about their pay, and 2. the Microsoft and Google people who made that decision will (and should) go to prison b/c collusion of that type is both a civil and a criminal (a felony) violation. It is your position that will destroy college sports b/c the current system will not (and should not) meet legal challenges. It is a monopoly and a very greedy one at that.

The only people anti-capitalist and anti-college sports in this deal are the people who think universities are going to able to continue paying coaches $5 mil per year and signing these huge TV deals while agreeing as a group to starve their labor. This system is not legal capitalism and free market. It is the opposite. If the NCAA digs in as you advocate what is coming is going to be forced down their throats by the law--and that is total, unrestricted, free market, recruit goes to the highest bidder competition. That will in fact ruin college athletics forever and it will have been the myopic, beat your chest, unwilling to compromise, pig-I'm-going-to-keep-it all view expressed above, that will have caused it.

This post was edited on 3/30 9:55 PM by tgf9898
p-r-i-d-e

Originally posted by RLong68:
1. Exactly WTH is going on with Bergeron?

2. Exactly WTH came up with "North Texas" for the FF location? WTF?
1. I'm not exactly sure, but he's not exactly a guy that has a rep for accepting authority without question.

2. Dumbest thing ever.

Originally posted by joeywa:
Originally posted by tgf9898:
No. 1 and 2: Good God that makes sense. Small living allowance and admit they own their own freaking names and likenesses. It's not a hard problem to reasonably solve. I do not understand how the NCAA can be so blind/idiotic on this issue (including to their own long term interests). Bulls and bears. Not pigs.
The problem is the NCAA is worried that their days as a governing organization are numbered. Once they relinquish control of elements that have made them what they currently are today, they lose the ability to reign supreme over the college athletics world.
The schools might need to step in and start a modified NCAA, one with a more focused view of its needs.

Originally posted by McHorn:

If Johnny Manziel has the exact same seasons at Texas State, does anyone know his name?

If he left out if HS for CFL he gets paid less than his scholarship value.
None of those things really matter.

That's not reality. The reality is that he was another cog in a system that takes advantage of student-athletes while cashing billions of dollars in checks in the process.

Riddle me this... why has the basic student-athlete deal NEVER changed? Not on any level, let alone the $$$ issues?

Originally posted by mackbrown:

I think the increase in donations was a result of fundraising for their stadium upgrades, not manziel.
lulz

Originally posted by orangelightningbolt:
I'm very happy to hear you gave the Velvet Underground a chance and am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

If your feeling adventurous again, give the Butthole Surfers a shot. Austin band that have their place in rock history with great live sows and mind blowingly innovative recordings. Everything before Independent Worm Saloon is a masterpiece IMHO!
I found myself wondering a lot about what a second or third Warhol album might sound like.

I don't think you could ever possibly regulate endorsement deals to stop boosters from infiltrating the process. I'm not sure how you would even go about it. If you allow endorsements, you have essentially let the genie out of the bottle completely.

I don't have a problem with paying the players though.

Media grossly overstating what happened in Tucson. Nowhere close to being a "riot". Cops did do this though:

http://deadspin.com/cop-in-riot-gear-violently-blindsides-girl-during-arizo-1555080979?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Ffull+%28Deadspin%29

The money involved in sports (not just college) is way out of control. It is a hidden tax (trickle down advertising and marketing costs) that most people don't realize they are paying. Whenever you buy a product that is advertised during a football game, you are paying a little extra, even if you aren't a football fan.

Another thing to consider, the cost of a scholarship to a school like Northwestern is close to 80k+/year when room and boarding, etc are included, while the cost at TTech might be half that. Should that also be taken into account?

I've always held the position that the money should be spread around. The NFL should pony up 120 mill a year (one mill per Div 1 schools), that equals about $10k per scholarship player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT