ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The Modern Scholarship Reform Act)

Originally posted by SouthAustinHorn:
I don't think you could ever possibly regulate endorsement deals to stop boosters from infiltrating the process. I'm not sure how you would even go about it. If you allow endorsements, you have essentially let the genie out of the bottle completely.

I don't have a problem with paying the players though.
Well, not allowing the players endorsement deals because the NCAA isn't prepared to properly monitor the situation is an NCA problem, not a player problem.

Incompetence can't be an alibi.

Originally posted by nismo265:
Media grossly overstating what happened in Tucson. Nowhere close to being a "riot". Cops did do this though:

http://deadspin.com/cop-in-riot-gear-violently-blindsides-girl-during-arizo-1555080979?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Ffull+%28Deadspin%29
what did I overstate about the situation?

Originally posted by hornin nyc:

Sweet Jane better than number 7, surely.
I that's the biggest issue with the list this week, I'll consider it a mission accomplished.

Britney-on-vacation-450x600.jpg

Beach furniture is so ugly.

There is tremendous value proposition here whereby both parties can win.

If they don't figure it out, it's because they are stupid or blinded by their greed.

Here's to the players getting all they deserve. Would seem that scholarship numbers will be dropping to 60 very soon. Then we will see 5 stars walking on with endorsement deals that pay their way. Surely some will be "beauty pageanted" in their early teens, will move from market to market looking for the right deal....the deals that will be struck!

The unintended consequences will be fascinating to watch.

NCAA should just change its name to "pimping our youth".

Disagree 99% with your NCAA take.

My solution is if you want to be paid, play professionally. All leagues should allow kids to go pro from high school. If they can't make the bigs, they can play in a developmental league or go abroad. If they chose to go to college, they can leave whenever, but they aren't getting paid. they are amateurs.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by dallashorn02:

Here are the major pieces of reform legislation that I would propose the NCAA voluntarily offer:

I. All student-athletes will have full medical coverage during their time as student athletes and if an injury occurs within their sport that requires treatment beyond their time as student-athletes, they'll continue to receive coverage.

II. All student-athletes will receive an added $10,000 cost-of-living benefit as part of their scholarship package that will be placed into a trust account and paid out upon their graduation from the university. If a student-athlete becomes injured and cannot compete athletically, as long as they graduate, they will receive the full value of the cost-of-living benefit. If a student-athlete is dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules, stipulated in their scholarship agreement, they forfeit the funds in their account.
Fixed the second part. If we're going to do this, let's do it right and make education mean something. The above proposal will result in many program cuts, costing thousands of kids a chance to play collegiate athletics. So at the very least, for the ones that do survive, going to class will mean something and not be a complete waste of time for professors, tutors, etc.
The scare mongers have brain-washed you well if you believe that a project that requires an investment of a few million annually is going to cripple schools. Booster donations alone can cover the costs at most schools.

Those that it can't don't warrant a free ride and the current upside down mess. It's not on the shoulders of the players, at least it shouldn't be, to carry the burden of everyone.
If you want to believe all 120 universities who field a football program in the FBS can afford to pay players in all sports, then so be it. I will agree to disagree.

However, regardless of who can or can't afford this, I don't think a graduation stipulation within the parameters of the scholarship agreement is too much to ask. If the argument is we need to re-evaluate the entire system, then let's re-evaluate all facets of it especially the "student" part of the "student-athlete".

Originally posted by SnakeEarl:

If they don't figure it out, it's because they are stupid or blinded by their greed.

Here's to the players getting all they deserve. Would seem that scholarship numbers will be dropping to 60 very soon. Then we will see 5 stars walking on with endorsement deals that pay their way. Surely some will be "beauty pageanted" in their early teens, will move from market to market looking for the right deal....the deals that will be struck!

I think there's a solution that can be had, but the Title IX issues need to be challenged and resolved first IMO.

A scenario where rowing team members get paid as much as football players is beyond idiotic. Just because Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama can afford to do this, doesn't make it any less illogical.

I think people forget/dont realize how few self-sustaining teams their are in NCAA athletics

paying players just isnt that simple

Looking at the leaderboard for 2015 ... I feel sick ... Still can't believe that MB let us slide down so far ... I know brighter days ate coming but sure feels like Dark days linger on...

Originally posted by bradford345:
Baby specific laundry detergent is a rip off. Probably not a battle worth fighting, but if you use regular detergent and mix your clothes with infant clothes everything will be just fine. Just don't tell the wife. You also don't need the super expensive bottle steamers and all that junk. Hot water is fine. Wipe warmers are another rip off.
Yep. They are all a scam for the first time parent to spend way too much on. I had most of that stuff for my first and I don't think I used any of it for my second besides the detergent.

I think the NCAA needs to do something, certainly. It would, however, be hilarious if the University Presidents banded together and decided to no longer offer scholarships. If you play, it's voluntary, and it's on your own dime. I wonder how many of these athletes would decide maybe the scholarship is worth something. The value of the scholarship is lost on too many of you guys who say pay players. My son has a scholly, it's worth about $100,000. I ain't complaining, and neither is he.

Not to mention, without these schools, there is no real platform for these kids to achieve the kind of fame and success that football brings them. You really think anyone would give two craps about a minor league football system? No way. The traditions of the schools, the experience that rooting for your University brings to all of the student athletes and the students, are what built college football into what it is today. Without those things, none of this happens. That is great value the schools provide in addition to the education that the lion's share of these kids would never receive without the schools and the athletic programs they offer. To suggest as you do that the value of room and board, books, tuition, fees is all the schools provide is equally ridiculous.

Both sides better swallow a little pride, because if they don't (which they won't) they will kill what we know today as the pageantry of college football, and yes, I know I am traditional in many ways.
This post was edited on 3/31 9:51 AM by thebigbopper

Give me a break. The money we're talking about is a drop in the pan compared to the revenue coming in.

The value of some smaller schools being unable to keep up is not the responsibility of the athletes. It's not their responsibility to carry everyone as they have.

Originally posted by jwebtx:
Disagree 99% with your NCAA take.

My solution is if you want to be paid, play professionally. All leagues should allow kids to go pro from high school. If they can't make the bigs, they can play in a developmental league or go abroad. If they chose to go to college, they can leave whenever, but they aren't getting paid. they are amateurs.
So, the college student-athlete should see improvements in their deal, but everyone else gets to cash in for free because they play for fun.

They haven't been amateurs for a long time, they just don't get paid.

Here are the major pieces of reform legislation that I would propose the NCAA voluntarily offer:

I. All student-athletes will have full medical coverage during their time as student athletes and if an injury occurs within their sport that requires treatment beyond their time as student-athletes, they'll continue to receive coverage.

II. All student-athletes will receive an added $10,000 cost-of-living benefit as part of their scholarship package that will be placed into a trust account and paid out upon their graduation from the university. If a student-athlete becomes injured and cannot compete athletically, as long as they graduate, they will receive the full value of the cost-of-living benefit. If a student-athlete is dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules, stipulated in their scholarship agreement, they forfeit the funds in their account.
Fixed the second part. If we're going to do this, let's do it right and make education mean something. The above proposal will result in many program cuts, costing thousands of kids a chance to play collegiate athletics. So at the very least, for the ones that do survive, going to class will mean something and not be a complete waste of time for professors, tutors, etc.
The scare mongers have brain-washed you well if you believe that a project that requires an investment of a few million annually is going to cripple schools. Booster donations alone can cover the costs at most schools.

Those that it can't don't warrant a free ride and the current upside down mess. It's not on the shoulders of the players, at least it shouldn't be, to carry the burden of everyone.
If you want to believe all 120 universities who field a football program in the FBS can afford to pay players in all sports, then so be it. I will agree to disagree.

However, regardless of who can or can't afford this, I don't think a graduation stipulation within the parameters of the scholarship agreement is too much to ask. If the argument is we need to re-evaluate the entire system, then let's re-evaluate all facets of it especially the "student" part of the "student-athlete".
I've said this before and I'll say it again, it is not the responsibility of the student-athletes to pay the bills for 120 universities or beyond.

When they originally came up with the scholarship agreement, nowhere in the deal did it say you forever forfeit your rights because we're passing the buck for paying everything onto your shoulders. The system is completely twisted, in part because of ideologies you support that you would never support in any other way or walk of life.

… Memo to UT athletes. Good teammates don't let other teammates pass out drunk in public.

???

I think there's a solution that can be had, but the Title IX issues need to be challenged and resolved first IMO.

A scenario where rowing team members get paid as much as football players is beyond idiotic. Just because Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama can afford to do this, doesn't make it any less illogical.
This Forbes article has an interesting take on IX. I agree it's time to stop speculating the impact of it and actually find out.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:
Is Warren not a top RB?
He can be when he's healthy. I have him rated below a few guys because of the injury.

Who are the current D-1 players that are the voice behind this movement to begin paying players? I've only heard a few ex players who were dismal failures in the pros complain and bystanders who would not be impacted at all by this decision.

Great write-up. I clicked on a few of the archived music links at the end to read your top 10s and they don't work. Willie Nelson, Journey, Metallica all go nowhere. Maybe time to re-visit those if its been that long?

Originally posted by SpaceCityWrangler:
No way Wittek beats out Ash.
You can say that again {"No way Wittek beats out Ash."}!! What are some of these people smokin!? Ash is already doing well and that's with having to learn a new system, get used to new coaches, and a new 'speed & intensity.' Come August? Fuhgittaboutit Witteck---{although I'd like to see him as a solid back-up}!

Originally posted by J-VON11:
I think people forget/dont realize how few self-sustaining teams their are in NCAA athletics

paying players just isnt that simple
Simpleness isn't really the issue and if they don't figure it out soon, a courtroom will do it for them.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:

Originally posted by SpaceCityWrangler:
No way Wittek beats out Ash.
No way?

If that's the case, why would Wittek even glance at Texas?
Because of Ash's concussion problem?
Which isn't much of an issue right now.

Agree with your reform suggestions but disagree with the endorsement revenue. Instead, force all universities to sell jerseys with #1 on the back. Seconds your $10,000 stipend plus lifetime defined medical benefits (medical benefits are fair) raises the price of poker by at least $2 million per year. Are you ok with only 50 schools opting in to your system? Lastly, how do you propose the schools deal with unionization?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT