ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The thing I was most wrong about this season...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what Bill Walton was saying:

1. is he suggesting that the arrests are something for which the human race must apologize? I understand the thefts were caught on videotape.

2. Is he saying the human race should apologize because a few UCLA kids are crooks? Maybe he should apologize for UCLA. I feel no responsibility for these kids' stupidity or dishonesty. I did not raise them and their shame is not mine.

Can we stop the narrative that Sam played some great game v OU. His QBR was 49. Yes he had moxy and fight and all that stuff. It wasn’t some memorable performance for the ages. By the way Kenny Hill had a 64 v OU yesterday - how did you think he looked?

And I guess we just ignore the 17 v Okie Lite and 27 v USC.

Maybe Sam gives us a better shot this week with all the factors thrown in. Shane is hardly some world beater. But overall he hasn’t been all that good. It’s like the Browns debating who should play QB.

And by the way - what happened to ‘I’’m worried about his long term health he shouldn’t play again this year.”
“Stats are for losers.”

There are still 12 5*'s uncommitted with Texas having a good shot with only 1 it appears. 23 of the composite top 50 are uncommitted with only 1 appearing to be leaning our way... Team rankings at this point are pretty pointless with so many kids electing to commit closer to signing day... At this point @Ketchum is right and I would put a lot of money on us not finishing with a top 5 class...
We will have a top 5 class 247. Book it

Reactions: solman1972
3 of 5 wins are against teams with one win and ranked 92, 114, and 123. Also a loss to number 65. Not exactly what we were expecting from Herman. Beat Tech and go to a bowl, lick wounds from this craptastic year and make smart personnel decisions in the off season. If not, all the good will is gone and we start eyeing the next great coach at Texas.

Stuff like this is the problem. We want saviors we don't want a good coach. We just figure eventually if we keep firing guys we'll luck in the next Saban. Think about the cycle of assistant coaches and transfers that's taken place here recently. We chew coaches and players up and spit them out. We'll want the new staff to start all the freshman day one, don't start any seniors, have the depth chart perfect on day one, etc.

This is a process, building a football program. There is a reason Smart went 7-5 last year before emerging this year. Have some confidence in who you hired for the job and stop watching every week to find reasons why he's not. Maybe if we would stop expecting new guys to come in and win with players they didn't recruit. Firing a bunch of people every year you don't win 10 games is not the answer.

Well, I said "a bit" and I'm dealing in the reality that we likely go into another offseason without an established QB. I realize some want to pretend that Sam has proven beyond a shadow doubt that he is the savior at QB but the truth is he hasn't. Can he? Sure. But to this point he hasn't. Not unexpectedly.
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying the Oklahoma State game didn't make me forget about the other two performances at all, especially in light of the offense in the last two weeks.

How do all those transfer impact our APR? Do they count against us?
Where they are on the track to graduation when they leave matters. Quite a few have stayed at Texas and finished their education.

Reactions: tzrider
Not sure what Bill Walton was saying:

1. is he suggesting that the arrests are something for which the human race must apologize? I understand the thefts were caught on videotape.

2. Is he saying the human race should apologize because a few UCLA kids are crooks? Maybe he should apologize for UCLA. I feel no responsibility for these kids' stupidity or dishonesty. I did not raise them and their shame is not mine.
He's embarrassed for the human race that such a thing could even happen.

It's quite possible you haven't been around long enough to know how it all works, recruiting rankings that is. I only have two decades in the industry to lean on...
Can’t argue against experience. But we won’t stay at 18 commits either. We will sign 25-27 guys.

He's embarrassed for the human race that such a thing could even happen.

Wow, he was not aware that kids occasionally shoplift? That honesty is not an instinctive human characteristic like breathing?

It's quite possible you haven't been around long enough to know how it all works, recruiting rankings that is. I only have two decades in the industry to lean on...
Yep. The twists and turns of recruiting, so crooked a snake would break his back following the trail.
I hope all the predictions of a big class, and a Top 5 (or hell, Top 10) are accurate; I just know that even with early
signing, it's a long way to dry ink and fax machines.

Buy or Sell:
The offense we rolled out Saturday, even with all the injuries, has more talent than Kansas, K-State, or Iowa State?

I honestly don't know the answer. But my feeling is even with our backups at several line spots and the youth in the backfield, we are miles ahead of those teams talent-wise. So if that it the case, our OC and by extension our HC, are getting out-gameplanned on a weekly basis. We've made a lot out of not having a gamechanging QB since Colt left. But when was the last time our OC gave us an edge?

About a year ago you wrote in your ten thoughts column that Shane was the answer at qb and that moving forward Texas at least had that. Over the off season you changed your tune and when I asked you about it you said that you got lost in what your eyes showed you and that when you looked closer at the numbers you realized Shane wasn't all that good that year after all. I think you are doing the same thing with Ehlinger.

Yes it was probably the best back to back qb performance since 2008, but that really isn't saying much. He was great against KSU but pretty average against OU. Then he gave the worst Texas qb performance of the year against OSU's pitiful excuse of a defense.

This isn't about Shane being better... I don't think he necessarily is... but when it comes to Sam too many people are falling in love with the moxie and leadership while glossing over the missed reads, poor decisions, and late throws. He (and/or Shane) needs to improve a lot over the next 9 months or this program is in serious trouble.
Yeah. We've been starved for the moxie, leadership, and ability to make off schedule plays for so long that lots of people are ignoring his flaws. Most notable of which has been his below average accuracy downfield. The decision making is a true freshman thing and I'm not worried about that.

Their point differential is over 50 points??? Holy crap. That team should be broken up. Wherever the hell Muenster is....
15 miles west of Gainesville. They could possibly hold the Football, Basketball and Baseball trophies all at the same time if Football pulls it off. Won both Basketball and baseball last yr. Lost in the Semi's in football last yr to Albany on a bs ref call.

15 miles west of Gainesville. They could possibly hold the Football, Basketball and Baseball trophies all at the same time if Football pulls it off. Won both Basketball and baseball last yr. Lost in the Semi's in football last yr to Albany on a bs ref call.
My family of origin on my paternal grandmother's side hails from there.
Klement.
My cousins and I come out once in awhile for a golf weekend at Turtle Hills.
Lovely place; dear to our hearts.
One end of the family, by marriage, is shirttail kin to the Walterscheids somehow. Good folks.

My family of origin on my paternal grandmother's side hails from there.
Klement.
My cousins and I come out once in awhile for a golf weekend at Turtle Hills.
Lovely place; dear to our hearts.
One end of the family, by marriage, is shirttail kin to the Walterscheids somehow. Good folks.
They are all kin over there. lol. Very good people around there

Reactions: NativeTex
I didn't expect this team to beat USC. I didn't think it would be better than Oklahoma State. Or play in the Big 12 title game.

What I thought about this team was three things ...

1. It would beat Maryland.
2. It would lose two of three against USC, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
3. It would improve as the season went along and that by the end of the season, it would be playing its best brand of football, which would allow it to win four of its final five games.

Well, I was wrong about No. 1 and No. 2, yet it feels like the thing I was most wrong about is No. 3.

I thought the thing we'd be saying about this team in November is that none of the teams that caught it in September or early October would want a piece of the Longhorns late in the year.

Oops.

The sign of a well-coached team is constant improvement throughout the season, especially with a young team, but the reality of the 2017 season is that this team isn't making the type of progress that would begin to remotely suggest that Texas is peaking at the end of the season.

Weirdly, this team could still end up winning four of its final five games, with two games left to play, which means that as wrong as I've been, I might end up being right about the thing I feel I was most wrong about.

Nothing feels more 2017 than that.
  1. The sign of a well coached PROGRAM is having depth to survive terribly-bad injury luck. Herman's staff just got here and has to build that depth.
  2. The sign of a well coached PROGRAM is having a bunch of good, unselfish and coachable football players on both sides of the ball. Herman's staff didn't inherit very much of that. I still see plenty of kids that peaked in high school, or maybe don't really love the game, or don't seem to care that much about being here, and don't really show much of a burning desire to get better.
  3. The sign of a well coached PROGRAM is having a junior or senior quarterback at the helm, preferably one in an offense he's well suited for - one that he's been developing in for at least 2 or 3 years. This likewise goes for the rest of the offensive players too.
As EXPECTED, the preseason presumptions around here took the illogical view of completely overlooking the true state of the PROGRAM: It was left a mess in many, many areas.

Going forward, new players have to be found at many positions. Depth has to be built. Kickers have to be brought in and developed. The OL should be relying on juniors and seniors and not freshman. When competing against three early round draft picks at QB (Darnold, Mayfield and Rudolf), we should expect to be putting up a junior or senior ourselves. And regarding the QB, expectations of winning big games shouldn't be placed on the backs of true-freshman or even true-sophomore QB's; especially not when it's one that's had two offenses to learn in as many years and has no offensive line protection to speak of, and doesn't have a solid running game to rely on.

As for the "cliche" expectations of "seeing development" in the form of better play as the season goes on, were it a seasoned program, I'd have to agree. However, where we had some depth, some talent and some experience, and where injury allowed, we saw development in spades. Only exception would be the WR's. But, some of them did put in some great moments this season, just didn't do it consistently. And I'm not sure that was ll on them. However, the defense had us in a several games when it was apparent that our offense shouldn't have had us in any of those games. And the offense is where the PROGRAM was in the worst shape. As for special teams, we tried to bring a kicker in to shore things up there. We found a juco all-star, and once he got here he "unlearned" how to kick field goals.

This coaching staff inherited a real mess. I'm going to give them some time to reshape things. I'm going to give them some time to develop their newly recruited players, their way - get the right messaging into their heads. I've already seen a lot of things improved with game management, the defense and most of the special teams outside of place-kicking and the recruiting seems to be taking shape nicely (but could use more OL help). This season we had a very tough schedule and played a lot of senior-level talent in many games. Our expectations were way too high.

Without massive improvement from the OL, and without the finding of a reliable kicker, next year might be pretty tough too. We'll at least have the benefit of facing OU, OSU and TCU without senior quarterbacks. But, I'm not expecting us to challenge for the conference next year: I'm hoping to see things shape up for 2019 to maybe have a run at it. And, we'll have to pray Todd Orland sticks around next year too. Even if Herman were able to find a suitable replacement, I'd really like to see these kids have some damn consistency-of-coaching for a change.

That's all. I say the future has great potential. May have to adjust with an assistant coach or two, but if given time, I think Herman can get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: FriscoWolf
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT