ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The truth may hurt, but it's the truth)

We have to beat Louisiana and Arkansas. We don't have to beat Oklahoma. I very much hope we do and it would be gigantic but they are going to be very, very good and if we lose a reasonably competitive game to them it isn't going to kill the program. Come on.
sark needs a real signature win. There's only one game that would move the needle... I mean really move it.

I appreciate the truth...

Feels like we can adjust and move forward now... assuming this staff doesn't go full Tom Herman and get stubborn about adapting to challenges

OU landed a top 70 player at a position that the Big 12 does not produce. Outside of a QB those are the highest value guys. Other two dudes seem like big reaches though.
They landed 2 5.8 four-stars and 2 three stars.

Reactions: DKinnamon
@Ketchum Texas must beat Louisiana. Texas must beat Arkansas. Texas must beat Oklahoma. Texas must win 10 games. Texas must play in a major bowl game.

you win those and only win 10 games you still have major problems. how are you going to sell presumably 3 other losses (though one would presumably be OU In a second meeting)
Same way Mack did in 1998?

It's almost as if Saban, who'd won five national titles at Alabama before Sark & Flood even showed up, was more of a recruiting draw in Tuscaloosa than the assistants we hired away. Who knew?

I never bought the argument that elite recruits would give our new staff the benefit of the doubt from the start, particularly given the ongoing underwhelmingness of our conference and the constant upheavals in our own AD. Success was always going to depend on getting our act together and showing we can make the most of what we already have. And that's going to be very hard to pull off this year.
The thing is... every new Texas and Texas A&M has received a benefit of the doubt with top recruits for the most part in year one of recruiting,... except Sark.

I read on OB we were setting the standard for NIL and recruits would flock here.
You read Texas would set a standard with NIL.

Not once (that I can remember) have I speculated on how that would impact recruiting because it's a total unknown. It's always been an open-ended scenario,.

How much is "race" being used in negative recruiting against us? The Eyes of Texas, professors at Texas refusing to let it go, the band refusing to play the song, the march and demands by the players last year, students refusing to work for UT. Even Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams thinking there are racial undertones and we should do away with the song. These are all things that occured that the current staff is probably having to deal with that is making it more challenging to attract African-American athletes. Is this what has killed the momentum in recruiting that we had earlier this year? Is this why we struggled with the portal? Other schools are probably using this against us and it may be working. Especially at places like Oregon.
Not as much as being a constant disappointment on the field. Seriously, I understand wy you would ask, but it hasn't been coming up.

Isn’t this the cart before the horse scenario? If you don’t have the players you can’t win big. If you don’t win big, you can’t get the players. If the current O line isn’t good enough, or the QB situation is too green, or the WR Corp not good enough-yet, how do they get to 10 wins, including a win over OU.? I think that’s asking too much of the staff in the first year. If they can’t get the elite players at that position your asking TX to do something I don’t even think Mack was able to accomplish. Where is the allegiance to the University? What happened to going to a school because it’s a great opportunity? Do these players think they won’t get exposure at Texas to showcase their abilities to the NFL? That makes no sense, at least to me, but I’m just an old guy. I think everyone is getting tired of anticipating good news and being disappointed with bad news. It’s human nature, it’s reality. Sark is going to have to do something historically that TX hasn’t been able to do- win with less talented players. Iowa State did it, K State has done it, TCU occasionally has done it(especially against Texas). I really like Sark and his staff,. They must be thinking TX/we shouldn’t be having these problems getting elite players to buy in.
Elite coaching + very, very good quarterback play = something we haven't seen in a long time.

This is what Sark was hired to fix.

@Ketchum from the athletic today

Related: Elite 11 daily tracker

1. The most impressive quarterback was from Texas, but for at least this week, it wasn’t Quinn Ewers, the player who has the rare perfect ranking from 247Sports. Ewers was excellent overall, but the guy who I thought outshined him was Cade Klubnik, a Clemson commit from powerhouse Austin Westlake. The wiry 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, ranked as 247Sports’ No. 6 QB entering the event but likely is headed for a better ranking soon. He was the MVP selected by the Elite 11 coaches and led his team to the seven-on-seven tournament championship. His accuracy sparkled each day. He showed he could throw very well on the move, and he seemed dialed in throughout the event, which separated him from most of the other top guys who flashed at times but weren’t as consistently sharp.

Clemson, which is in the midst of quite a run of gifted quarterbacks, has another terrific one on the way. From talking to coaches about Klubnik and from observing him the past few days, it feels like the bust factor — the chance that he won’t come close to the hype — is going to be very low. I’ll be really, really surprised if he doesn’t have an excellent college career

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
@Ketchum from the athletic today

Related: Elite 11 daily tracker

1. The most impressive quarterback was from Texas, but for at least this week, it wasn’t Quinn Ewers, the player who has the rare perfect ranking from 247Sports. Ewers was excellent overall, but the guy who I thought outshined him was Cade Klubnik, a Clemson commit from powerhouse Austin Westlake. The wiry 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, ranked as 247Sports’ No. 6 QB entering the event but likely is headed for a better ranking soon. He was the MVP selected by the Elite 11 coaches and led his team to the seven-on-seven tournament championship. His accuracy sparkled each day. He showed he could throw very well on the move, and he seemed dialed in throughout the event, which separated him from most of the other top guys who flashed at times but weren’t as consistently sharp.

Clemson, which is in the midst of quite a run of gifted quarterbacks, has another terrific one on the way. From talking to coaches about Klubnik and from observing him the past few days, it feels like the bust factor — the chance that he won’t come close to the hype — is going to be very low. I’ll be really, really surprised if he doesn’t have an excellent college career

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.
Murphy was one if the top 3 quarterbacks in 2 of the days... struggled some in the other,

From 2002-15, here's a look at the performance breakdown of each of the top four rankings tiers in the Rivals.com rankings system with regards to players being drafted in the NFL.

* 46.3% (25 of 54) of five-star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams:
* 34.2% (28 of 82) of high-four star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams
* 23.0% (26 of 113) of mid-four star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams
* 14.7% (50 of 341) of low four-star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams.

From 2002-15, here's a look at the performance breakdown of each of the top four rankings tiers in the Rivals.com rankings system with regards to players from the state of Texas being drafted in the NFL.

* 22.2% (2 of 9) of five-star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams:
* 35.7% (5 of 14) of high-four star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams
* 6.7% (1 of 15) of mid-four star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams
* 21.1% (8 of 38) of low four-star offensive line prospects were drafted by NFL teams.
These numbers don’t convince me that high OL rankings matter.

If you add up the numbers for those top four rankings, it only amounts to just above a 20% chance of being drafted. It actually tells me that OL player development is more important.

This might explain why Walker Little (five star) and Sam Cosmi (three-star) we’re pretty much drafted in same spot.

Reactions: xarmygetover
These numbers don’t convince me that high OL rankings matter.

If you add up the numbers for those top four rankings, it only amounts to just above a 20% chance of being drafted. It actually tells me that OL player development is more important.

This might explain why Walker Little (five star) and Sam Cosmi (three-star) we’re pretty much drafted in same spot.
You don't measure it by adding those four together,

As is the case with all positions, the top twi tiers matter... the ones below it don't.

Lots of negativity and I get why. But everyone has Iowa State in the Big 12 Championship game as well as preseason top 10. Check my math but I don't remember ISU putting together a string of top 5 recruiting classes to get to this point.

I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter. But after Strong and Herman, I'm putting much more emphasis on development than our class ranking.

We are worried about our opener against Louisiana. Where have those guys finished in recruiting the last 5 years?

I will say that I'm very happy to be reading about OL recruiting for a change instead of skill position. Outside of QB, nothing matters more.

I just wish the commitment of Maalik translated to the windfall of OL recruits the way some people thought it would have.

Reactions: stevenspaul1357
You don't measure it by adding those four together,

As is the case with all positions, the top twi tiers matter... the ones below it don't.
Genuine question, not being a smart ass, why not?

Also, if the numbers worsen for Longhorn players, doesn’t that tell you player development is a problem?

Lots of negativity and I get why. But everyone has Iowa State in the Big 12 Championship game as well as preseason top 10. Check my math but I don't remember ISU putting together a string of top 5 recruiting classes to get to this point.

I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter. But after Strong and Herman, I'm putting much more emphasis on development than our class ranking.

We are worried about our opener against Louisiana. Where have those guys finished in recruiting the last 5 years?

I will say that I'm very happy to be reading about OL recruiting for a change instead of skill position. Outside of QB, nothing matters more.

I just wish the commitment of Maalik translated to the windfall of OL recruits the way some people thought it would have.
Iowa State brings back 20+ starters and didn't lose anyone of note. It's basically the most veteran team in the history of the league.

Genuine question, not being a smart ass, why not?

Also, if the numbers worsen for Longhorn players, doesn’t that tell you player development is a problem?
a. Because they aren't the same thing. A national top 150 player is nothing more than a glorified national top 600 player.

b. Of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT