ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The weekend that left a mark)

Uptown Girl might be the worst song ever from a HOF artist. I mean, it just sucks out loud. There was even a Simpsons episode making fun of how bad that song is. I believe it's the one where Homer learns what his middle initial stands for.

You can forgive someone for what they like when they're 6. But not if they keep liking it. Do you still listen to your Raffy records, too?

I'm kinda going over the top giving you a hard time, here. But boy does that song hoover.

How about "She's Always A Woman"? That's a great song.

"Only the Good Die Young" = Probably his second best song.

Michael Sam wasn't living his life a certain way to proselytize or rub "it" in the nation's face or any of a thousand other misunderstandings and mis-characterizations of him.

His life is not about all the homophobes on this board. He was just plain living, just as all of you take for granted your right to do so without tons of people asserting you are "proselytizing" for your "lifestyle choices" or "pushing something down our throats".

His life is not about you guys. It's his life. He's being himself. Your reaction to it shows your lack of understanding of healthy boundaries. Can you imagine him on a sports board ranting about all the heterosexuals' lifestyle choices and how inappropriate they are?

"6. Speaking of the Rams, right on for Michael Sam.
Honestly, I thought the images from his home as he was being selected
were one of the most touching emotional scenes I've ever seen while
watching the draft. If the only thing you saw during all of that was a
couple of dudes kissing … well … we just witnessed different things."

Great summary. But sorry, this was not an emotional scene. It was staged, unnatural and over the top. Just because 5% of the population and the mainstream media want to cram this viewpoint into the lives of the majority who find it abnormal, it is not a great moment. I thought it was a bit much, out of line, and kind of gross. I feel no need to apologize for this impression or belief. It is high time that the vast majority are allowed to speak their opinion (which is shared by most), not just have the opinion of the loud violent ultra left wing minority forced upon everyone.

Ironically, I do not care what happens behind closed doors. I follow the axiom of keeping the government out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms ... but this was extreme, inappropriate and uncomfortable for many. Not cool, not a great moment.

On a positive note, I am so grateful for Charlie Strong and his staff. I give thanks every day that change is coming, and soon, for the Horns. I know there will never be another draft with none of our kids drafted, at least not on his watch. What an embarrassment, and how sad for our seniors. I hope 2014 was the year of the free agent!

I don't know how to compensate for this, but your numbers are off. For example:

There were roughly 90 draft draft eligible 5*s (09-11), but you are dividing by 29 instead. That throws off the numbers. I'm not sure how many 5*s from different years were drafted, but I'm sure there were a few (Clowney).

Basically, you math doesn't account for early entrants.

Maybe you should do a three year rolling average. I'm sure some stat dude out there has a better solution.

Originally posted by burntorangehorns:
I guess we seen different things !! I will never support and push the gay movement !!! ESPN should be embarrassed for showing that shi!!You seem like a bright person. Tell me more about this movement. I don't watch Fox News, so I don't know anything about it.

Originally posted by UTfaninBrazil:

Man Mack never really went for the juggler after any of their national championship runs.
This has to become an OBism.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

I guess we seen different things !! I will never support and push the gay movement !!! ESPN should be embarrassed for showing that shi!!
Yes, we see different things.
6. Speaking of the Rams, right on for Michael Sam. Honestly, I thought the images from his home as he was being selected were one of the most touching emotional scenes I've ever seen while watching the draft. If the only thing you saw during all of that was a couple of dudes kissing … well … I just witnessed different things.

Explains a lot...
alien.r191677.gif
FIFY

Nothing on UFC Fight Night?? You usually put your 2 cents in on that haha

Matt Brown vs Erick Silva was the most wicked fight I've seen since Bones Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson ... actually I thought it was even a better fight.

Originally posted by 98horn:

The story of Sam should be that he got picked 1000% because he was gay. If not, it would have been a lot sooner. To think the St. Louis Rams innocently selected him as their last pick in the draft is just pure naive. Nobody can be that gullible.

If Clowney had his tongue down his boyfriend's throat, he would've been picked number 1 in the draft. I found the whole thing awful and disrespectful to perhaps the next more deserving gay candidate.
Speaking of disrespectful.

Originally posted by jaguar02:
Why was Sam's story more touching than any other guy that got drafted?
Because of the emotion involved and displayed. Not every story or situation is the same and the level of sincere joy was touching to many.

I always enjoy those raw, unscripted moments.

Originally posted by Jeff J Black:
I remember when Ellen Degeneres first used her national stage to promote her gayness. She was punished for it. Now she's just another entertainer/comedian (and a very good one) who doesn't have to proselytize her lifestyle through her fame. And I respect her for it. I could care less if Michael Sam is gay but the whole kiss-on-TV was just rubbing it in the nation's face. And it was inappropriate. My guess is he ends up on a practice squad for a couple of years. And then moves on.
Do you think ESPN should have told him going in that under no circumstances was he allowed to kiss someone that he loves? Was that inappropriate?

Originally posted by SURFTEX:
This is the real swing and miss on your Joel list, Ketch.

It wasn't the biggest hit, but it was a classic from day freaking one.

Thanks for the list.
a. How so?
b. You can't call me out for not including a song that I've seen few people list, if any, as a top 10 song. Well, maybe you can, but come on.
wink.r191677.gif

Let me see your top 10.

Originally posted by djw314:
Tom Savage.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Considering there was no true first round talent for QBs this I think that is more than a good pick up.
Do you believe that the Texans have a quarterback for the future, truly? I don't. What makes him better than Stephen McGee?

Originally posted by W. E. Henley:
Uptown Girl might be the worst song ever from a HOF artist. I mean, it just sucks out loud. There was even a Simpsons episode making fun of how bad that song is. I believe it's the one where Homer learns what his middle initial stands for.

You can forgive someone for what they like when they're 6. But not if they keep liking it. Do you still listen to your Raffy records, too?

I'm kinda going over the top giving you a hard time, here. But boy does that song hoover.
The entire album that the song is featured on is Joel paying homage to the early rock vibe of the 50s and the 60's Motown sound. It's a great record that pulls off what nobody else in the decade was able to do IMO.

The song was inspired by Frankie Valle and according to Wikipedia: In 1988, Rolling Stone ranked "Uptown Girl" #99 on their list of the 100 most important singles of the period 1963-1988.

Hardly the stuff of a worst song ever.

Originally posted by gmfhoos:

Ironically, I do not care what happens behind closed doors. I follow the axiom of keeping the government out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms ... but this was extreme, inappropriate and uncomfortable for many. Not cool, not a great moment.
What part of it was extreme? He kissed his boyfriend a few times. There wasn't any tongue, just a few heart-felt kisses between two men that presumably love each other. I've seen worse in a spoof of Kanye West between two straight men.

It was the same type of kissing and sharing of love that takes place between straight draftees and their loved ones.

I agree it was uncomfortable for many, but that shouldn't be a Michael Sam problem.

Originally posted by Kronic22:
I don't know how to compensate for this, but your numbers are off. For example:

There were roughly 90 draft draft eligible 5*s (09-11), but you are dividing by 29 instead. That throws off the numbers. I'm not sure how many 5*s from different years were drafted, but I'm sure there were a few (Clowney).

Basically, you math doesn't account for early entrants.

Maybe you should do a three year rolling average. I'm sure some stat dude out there has a better solution.
You cannot include all 90 eligible draft prospects from a three-year window into the equation because they all weren't available in this draft. Some were in last year's draft and others will be in next year's or the year after. That's why you have to work with an average class of prospects and not a combined number.

Yes, my math does account for early entrants because it includes the class of 2011 into the numbers. However, the majority of five-stars from the class of 2011 were not involved in this particular draft.

Originally posted by DubaiBob:
Nothing on UFC Fight Night?? You usually put your 2 cents in on that haha

Matt Brown vs Erick Silva was the most wicked fight I've seen since Bones Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson ... actually I thought it was even a better fight.
Missed it and forgot to DVR.
dead.r191677.gif

**************SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!**************

I'M SERIOUS.

I REPEAT, I'M SERIOUS

**************SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!**************

a. Stannis getting turned down by the Iron Bank like he was some chump with bad credit was an awesome way of starting the show. That'll humble a fella.
Stannis will have his work cut out for him.

b. Davos just earned his keep with that speech.
Yep.

c. No way Ramsey takes it on the chin from Theon's sister. No way. She's not that much of a bad-ass.
Yep and yep but things change.

d. Damn, that was quick. Sorry Theon… I mean Reek.
Really? Feeling sorry for Theon after all he did?

e. Danny is finding out that ruling isn't nearly as much fun as she thought it might.
The boring part this season unfortunately.

f. Well, the deck is certainly stacked against Tyrion. I don't know how the hell he's getting out of this.
It'll be fun, trust me.

g. Damn, did Tywin set all of this up because he knew Jaime wouldn't let Tyrion did? He sure jumped on Jaime's offer like a stink on you now what.
Words...just words.

h. Oh damn, Shea is on the stand! Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you notice the look?

i. Drop the damn mic, Tyrion!
Foreshadowing!

Hook'em!

It's great that so many were just fine with Sam's little cake scene. I think that one will come back to burn him in the lockerroom. It was way over the top.

Originally posted by W.TXHorn:
gilbert went to the rams fyi
Yup, not sure what I was thinking or what my proof-reader was seeing.
wink.r191677.gif
It was all those numbers you ran that made you see different things.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

"4. The San Francisco 49ers are awesome at this drafting thing. Man, it pains me to write that and it pains me even more to write that it seems impossible that they won't win at least one championship before the end of the decade."

What makes you say that they're awesome at this drafting thing? They have one starter picked in the last 2 drafts. Including a first round pick that's already been traded and has 8 receptions.

Granted their 2010 and 2011 were A LOT better but they are not flawless IMO or even awesome at least recently

I guess we seen different things !! I will never support and push the gay movement !!! ESPN should be embarrassed for showing that shi!!
Yes, we see different things.
Ladies & Gentlemen, a perfect example of the power of free (and animated!!) speech and how special it is to live in a country where such freedom of expression is not only allowed, but encouraged... Not one bullet shot and nobody died... Brilliant!...

How is it promoting the "gay agenda" by just letting a gay person be gay?

Does that mean when straight people kiss on TV the straight agenda is being promoted?

Or is it that gay people are ok as long as they don't show or talk about being gay?
Basically just live in the closet?

We're spending an inordinate amount of time and resources on relatively unimportant issues. That kissing event was obviously planned and staged. We're just fatigued from hearing the LGBT stuff every single day.

While I get all of the stats on stars vs. draft position, the clear example of CS Louisville 3 stars being drafted vs. the bunch of failed 4/5 star at Texas kind of fly's in the face of your argument. You must have both the raw athletic ability, and the development coaching and desire.

Originally posted by Jeff J Black:
I remember when Ellen Degeneres first used her national stage to promote her gayness. She was punished for it. Now she's just another entertainer/comedian (and a very good one) who doesn't have to proselytize her lifestyle through her fame. And I respect her for it. I could care less if Michael Sam is gay but the whole kiss-on-TV was just rubbing it in the nation's face. And it was inappropriate. My guess is he ends up on a practice squad for a couple of years. And then moves on.
Do you think ESPN should have told him going in that under no circumstances was he allowed to kiss someone that he loves? Was that inappropriate?
Show me where in my message I say anything about ESPN.

Originally posted by djw314:

Tom Savage.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Considering there was no true first round talent for QBs this I think that is more than a good pick up.
Do you believe that the Texans have a quarterback for the future, truly? I don't. What makes him better than Stephen McGee?
Maybe. I believe he has all the tools that you could ask for and is a good developmental qb. I do not believe we have found our answer yet. I don't think the answer was in this draft. The Texans are in rebuild mode and are building the correct way. Done with all that finesse crap and adding some size to the lines. We should be able to run the ball again with the addition of the guard and tight end in rounds two and three. If you are solely basing your opinion of the draft on the qb then I see how you got to your "meh" outlook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT