ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Things that need to happen in the next 244 days...)

b. In the last three seasons, the Longhorns have been one of the worst fourth-quarter teams in the country.

Actually, in 2019 we were the worst team in the country in the 4th Q as the broadcast said during Alamo Bowl, we were LAST among D1 teams re points scored against in 4th Q.

They didn't even give us a #, just put up 'last'. I think that made us 130 out of 130 in 4th Q points against.

I'm putting more of that problem on Orlando than Yancy, but we'll know a lot more next year b/c, thankfully, Orlando is gone.

I would gladly wager our D won't lead that category next year under Ash. In fact, I'll give 3-1 odds. You max blitz 30+ times (like Orlando often did) and your D will be worn out and your blitzing DBs (mainly blitzing up the middle against OLs) will be beat up by 4th Q and beyond.

Again, we'll know a lot more next year w/o Todd.
I'm firmly with you. I'm not saying it's all his fault. I'm just saying we're not seeing true results yet from his program three-plus years in.

Bennie Wylie never got this much slack. Nor did Maddog.

I think the Yancy take was a bit much. The play in the 4th quarter seem more on play calling than players condition. The injuries to the dbs is more about the crazy scheme they ran. Corners coming up trying to take on running backs and hitting them in their thighs isn't to smart.
I'm not about giving anyone unearned benefit of the doubt.

I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out at once so they could knock me out and I had some sensitivity to temp for a few days and that was all. They only put you out for three or four at once and I highly recommend it.
I had three taken out five years ago, but they left one back because they felt at the time there was already too much trauma in my mouth. Well, the bill arrived due in December. :(

Reactions: OldBlood
With reference to McKnight, How about more focus on nutrition for 'staying power' and consider the time that has been required, all things considered, to add quality players to ' share the load'?
It should ALL be on the table.

(Sell) I know that Naivar did a hell of a job in the bowl game, but he coaches the same position as Ash and I can't imagine Ash was hugely impressed by that position's output this season.

This.

Yep. Once upon a time we did. Seems like forever since. A great start would be putting Jamison as our PR and KR guy.
Yup. We took little things like game-changing special teams for granted.

Maybe Mack's greatest football achievement in terms of his own philosophy and approach.

Reactions: BigGulpHorn15
(Sell) Cosmi might be the right answer on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm in love with Joseph Ossai's upside.

For sure. Ossai is a 3-down type NFL OLB. We're talking a guy who may very well be better than Orakpo who really didn't have to do much pass coverage until he got to the NFL where he did it well enough to have a rock solid career. Honestly, I don't think Kindle is really that close to Ossai because Kindle could only go forward.

Well, I asked the question. I will say that's quite a confident reply. I do think if we don't win the next 2 games at home then the hole-digging for our hops begins in earnest. We simply can't afford to split the next 2 home games against OU and KSU who represent 2 teams that likely won't finish higher than 5th in the conference. We HAVE to be no less than 3-3 after the first 6 conference games. The five remaining of those are:
OU
KSU
@Okie Lite
KU (eesh)
@ WVU

To be clear, losing to Baylor was fully expected, and on the surface really shouldn't be a death blow. The underlying very real problem is the manner in which it happened. Baylor played probably a C+/B- game and STILL we never made them sweat after the first 5 minutes enroute to an embarrassing 15 point blowout and more embarrassing 44 points of offense. The reality is probably have to win at least 9 games the rest of the year and honestly, it's hard to find 9 wins. And not only does every credible current tourney projection not even have us in the tourney, none of them have us even CLOSE to make the tourney.
Net Ranking has us 75th
Kenpom has us at 68th
Teamranking has has us listed as the 64th team AFTER their first 68 and a paltry 11% chance.
I don't know if it's confidence or foolishness. It better start to get better fast or they'll be chasing their tail into the NIT again.

Reactions: PaulieD
7. Quandre Diggs - Is currently in his sixth season and has emerged as one of the best nickel defensive backs in the league. Has nine career interceptions.

He'll climb that list for sure.

For sure. Ossai is a 3-down type NFL OLB. We're talking a guy who may very well be better than Orakpo who really didn't have to do much pass coverage until he got to the NFL where he did it well enough to have a rock solid career. Honestly, I don't think Kindle is really that close to Ossai because Kindle could only go forward.
That's more than fair.

Taking a bit of an issue with your McKnight take. I lost count of the times I've read read here and in solid sports articles how McKnight did a great job at UH and at Texas where the look of players is "dramatically" and significantly changed once he gets them in his training program. Seems to me that he is responsible for not all their development, rather getting them physically ready to take the field from endurance, strength, mental and overall physical angles. I've also consistently read that texas is more physical than the teams we play, sans a couple exceptions. So, I don't put a ton of responsibility on McKnight for Texas's failures this year, mostly on coaches and players.

And where is the proof? Specifically the part of Texas being more physical? Not sure where you are reading that, but seems to me we've lost a helluva lot of games to what should be inferior physically teams more than just a "couple of exceptions." Sh*t, we got bullied alone by Maryland TWICE.

If CDC doesn't make the changes needed in BB, Men and Women, then we have a different kind of problem. The need for change cannot be clearer. He's either the man for the job, or he wilts like the last rose.

Lot of truth. Of course, much like the softball coach hire, not sure how challenging replacing Aston will be since her contract is up. Seems pretty clear at this point she won't be back, so once again, CDC gets a pop-up for his 2nd coaching hire. Where the rubber meets the road is what does he do with Shaka should he fail to make the tournament for a THIRD time in 5 seasons, which would equal the same number of missed tournaments in the 27 years prior to his hire.

Reactions: NativeTex
The only problem with stay at RB he will have to find playing time among Ingram, Withingham and Robinson. ( hopefully the Georgie RS recruit )...for once UT has a deep RB room. I noticed on a couple of the bowl teams their best outside LB was a former QB. Johnson is a song kid and could gain weight and fill this role. Unfortunately, he is currently flipping between our two deepest positions.
I used to think this way but it just seems with injuries they all play.

All I can tell you is that I do not participate in the crowning of S&C coaches that haven't earned it. Learned lessons the hard way on that front.
I'm still confused I guess...not sure what a S&C coach would need to do to earn his job, feedback on him, as I stated, has been overwhelmingly positive

And where is the proof? Specifically the part of Texas being more physical? Not sure where you are reading that, but seems to me we've lost a helluva lot of games to what should be inferior physically teams more than just a "couple of exceptions." Sh*t, we got bullied alone by Maryland TWICE.
Do you not read post-game summaries here and on newspaper sites, pressers, etc.? For example, the game against Utah (see the quote from chron.com, talks about Texas being more physical). OU game, game before Big12 'ship against them, we were more physical.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ra-Points-Texas-38-No-11-Utah-10-14942898.php

One game? We've lost 15 games in 3 seasons.
I gave you just 2 examples, there are others, you can search them up yourself. Texas, under Herman, has been developing a rep of being more physical that their opponents. Again, not a consistent "monster" yet, but more often than not. Another example for you: Sugar Bowl vs. GA...please don't tell me GA did not want to be there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT