ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Things that need to happen in the next 244 days...)

"I'll go there with you. My answer would be absolutely not. However, on the whole yes they have been more physical than those teams we have played."

Agree to disagree.
I think we’ve been more physical in most of the “big” games we’ve played under Herman. All OU games, except this year, LSU, GA, and Utah off the top of my head. It’s when we play middling teams like Baylor or ISU or WVA or TCU that we appear less physical. Which sucks and is a major indictment, of course.

Taking a bit of an issue with your McKnight take. I lost count of the times I've read here and in solid sports articles how McKnight did a great job at UH and at Texas where the look of players is "dramatically" and significantly changed once he gets them in his training program. Seems to me that he is responsible for not all their development, rather getting them physically ready to take the field from endurance, strength, mental and overall physical angles. I've also consistently read that texas is more physical than the teams we play, sans a couple exceptions. So, I don't put a ton of responsibility on McKnight for Texas's failures this year, mostly on coaches and players.
I agree 100% as his write up on McKnight was the biggest pile of dog shit I have read sine being a member. Maybe meds affected his brain.

Reactions: SWTHORN123
Strength and Condition coaches don’t call plays or game plan or go for it on 4th down when it’s stupid, or create shitty special teams, or play seniors that don’t deserve to be on the field, common man!

Reactions: SWTHORN123
I agree with Ketch on this one. Every time I started to appreciate Shackleford's "nasty attitude" he'd have some sort of drive-killing, head-scratching personal foul or holding penalty.

Maybe you can't have one without the other. But call me old fashioned, I just don't like personal fouls from my center.
everyone might be singing him with praise in 2020 if his replacement isn't better. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

I think we’ve been more physical in most of the “big” games we’ve played under Herman. All OU games, except this year, LSU, GA, and Utah off the top of my head. It’s when we play middling teams like Baylor or ISU or WVA or TCU that we appear less physical. Which sucks and is a major indictment, of course.
I'm not sure I would agree with all of the OU games. It wasn't the case in the Big 12 title game, even if it was the case in the earlier meeting in 2018.

Strength and Condition coaches don’t call plays or game plan or go for it on 4th down when it’s stupid, or create shitty special teams, or play seniors that don’t deserve to be on the field, common man!
No one suggested that they did.

I'm not sure I would agree with all of the OU games. It wasn't the case in the Big 12 title game, even if it was the case in the earlier meeting in 2018.
I’ll give you that, although I didn’t feel like we were particularly out-physicaled in that game. The point is that we clearly have the ability to be, and have been against strong competition, very physical, but Herman hasn’t been able to get his teams to sustain that on a week-to-week basis. It’s weird, and it has to be coaching. Hopefully, Ash and Yurcich will figure it out.

I’ll give you that, although I didn’t feel like we were particularly out-physicaled in that game. The point is that we clearly have the ability to be, and have been against strong competition, very physical, but Herman hasn’t been able to get his teams to sustain that on a week-to-week basis. It’s weird, and it has to be coaching. Hopefully, Ash and Yurcich will figure it out.
what credit do you actually give Yancy? where is this team better because of him?

what credit do you actually give Yancy? where is this team better because of him?
I have no idea what credit to give Yancy. I feel like we’re more physical than under Charlie, but I don’t know who is responsible for that or why it only seems to show up at certain times. It must be incredibly frustrating for Herman, but of course, it’s ultimately his responsibility.

Injuries, poor scouting with predictable play calling was our demise. Why throw everyone under the bus?
Throw under the bus? Or hold accountable?

There is a world that exists where the extreme that you seem to be clutching to doesn't have to exist.

I have no idea what credit to give Yancy. I feel like we’re more physical than under Charlie, but I don’t know who is responsible for that or why it only seems to show up at certain times. It must be incredibly frustrating for Herman, but of course, it’s ultimately his responsibility.
I don't think Yancy deserves much of any credit up until now, heading into his fourth season. I don't view his work as a strength of the program based on the lack of player development that has occurred, which is his big area.

I don't think Yancy deserves much of any credit up until now, heading into his fourth season. I don't view his work as a strength of the program based on the lack of player development that has occurred, which is his big area.
Up early responding to knuckleheads?

I don’t think we disagree. I’m just coming at it from 30K feet and saying that, at the end of 2020, if we’re still maddeningly inconsistent, I’m not going to see replacing the S&C coach as the cure-all. There’s something culturally weird about the extremes at which Herman’s teams seem to regularly play.

Up early responding to knuckleheads?

I don’t think we disagree. I’m just coming at it from 30K feet and saying that, at the end of 2020, if we’re still maddeningly inconsistent, I’m not going to see replacing the S&C coach as the cure-all. There’s something culturally weird about the extremes at which Herman’s teams seem to regularly play.
I'm not saying replacing him is the cure-all.

I'm just saying Texas finally needs to see more dividends from its S&C program. That's all. Nothing too crazy.

Player development is a mind set not a physical set. To play in pros you have a certain mindset.

I’m struggling to recall a S&C in the past 20 years that hasn’t followed the Mad Dog Madden Arc of Reputation Regression -

1) Whoa he’s a beast his workouts are epic, players are putting on weight and throwing up massively larger amounts in the weight room

2) hey, what exactly does this guy do? Coach praises him for random bench press stats but... football relevant conditioning results being what ?

3) we are getting pushed around on the field & gaining a rep for being soft as baby sht. He’s fat.
Everyone is laughing at us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT