Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Time to stop braking)

Good write up. I was at the game and the wind was a big factor. But Sark was out coached. Why didn’t Sark run shorter passes (like Gundy)? OSU ran that damn WR screen play what seemed like every other play for 4-8 yds per play. This is what concerns me most. Ewers is learning, but make it easier for him! Especially when the OL wasn’t giving Ewers much time.
The lack of short passes to help his quarterbacks is maddening.

After the game, the OSU radio announcer said the team with a winning culture beat the team that doesn't have a winning culture. A stinging statement that im believing to be true

Reactions: zt_1234
I see your repeated efforts (youtube, article here, random thoughts article, etc.) of trying to talk naysayers off their one legged balancing act of railing about ewers not being the qb for us and that sark should have pulled him vs OSU. I gotta believe there is just no influencing those folks, low acumen of football. but, thanks for the effort ")

Great write up @Ketchum

Poltergeist may be my favorite horror movies of all time, but can’t argue with that list for the most part. I may be splitting hairs, but The Shining doesn’t feel like true horror like the rest. Probably just me.

Scared Stanley Kubrick GIF

Shining Stephen King GIF

Shining Stephen King GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Number-5
Great write up, and as bad as it felt this morning, I can agree with most of your points. Not a popular opinion, I know.

The only thing that I might argue would be to try to salvage the season by trying the back up qb. But I also don't know when the right time would have been, and I can definitely see the rewards of letting him try to grind through it. I hope you are right that he learns and is better for it.

I REALLY hoped Sark could fix his historical woes, but at this time he is who his record says he is. I hope he gets it fixed. I want him to be "the guy". Very likeable indeed, but he isn't getting paid to make friends.
Texas has to stop pulling its quarterbacks when they make their first starts on the road.

I see your repeated efforts (youtube, article here, random thoughts article, etc.) of trying to talk naysayers off their one legged balancing act of railing about ewers not being the qb for us and that sark should have pulled him vs OSU. I gotta believe there is just no influencing those folks, low acumen of football. but, thanks for the effort ")
Bill Murray Drink GIF

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Horror Movies ...

Just a heads up, I didn't consider Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Misery of The Sixth Sense as horror movies. Right or wrong, I chalk these movies up into other movie categories.

don't you consider Diehard a Christmas movie...

What was most frustrating about yesterday was that Ewers was largely doing the “one read and heave” routine for pretty much the entire game. But in the first half there were enough called shorter and RB routes to almost force him into a successful play.

In the second half, Sark just seemed to lean on Ewers more heavily to make the traditional deep to short progression reads. Like Ewers was just magically going to get it together?

In the second half, Gundy had Sanders throw a bunch of those passes out to the edge to test our tiring defenses. Ewers can throw those passes. And we certainly have more explosive weapons than OSU to run those plays. Yet, they were minimal for us in the second half.

I could feel the deflation from the OSU fans around me when we scored to make it a 31-17 game. They were ready to be pushed over the edge. Unfortunately I had seen this movie many times before and had little confidence even with a 14 point lead.
The OSU fans around me still have visions of some of their classic Poke Chokes but I assured them they would come back and win and even named the score. They looked at me after the game like I was Nostradamus.

Mack Brown pulled Vince Young, and Chance Mock won the game versus Texas Tech. That’s apples to apples. Great coach versus extremely mediocre coach. We have a lemon. It sucks, but that’s the truth. Leaving Ewers in there will define the Sark era.

@Ketchum I personally was thinking more of bringing Card in when QE was obviously struggling more so as a weapon vs benching QE. Give him a few plays to observe while you can use card for his legs and some play action roll out type stuff.
Then to handle the postgame like Dabo did. Just think there was more they could have done with QE struggling so bad to win the game while still keeping him engaged.

I get it….the others are more ghosts, demon or boogieman centric. You could argue that the Shining was very psychological, with a touch of mysticism. Again, probably just me and how I interpret that genre. Just to be clear, The Shining is one of the best all time IMO.

The failures of the o and d lines the last 10 years are the problem. You can’t fix that on 1 and 1/2 years. Sam E made up for deficiencies in the o line but that didn’t do Texas any favors I. The long run. The team looks better with younger players. Some older players are developing and looking better this year. Ewers is a freshman and that is always going to affect a team, especially a first start on the road with crazy bad officiating. Defense was also terrible for the last 6 years and that is also a 2-3 year fix. They couldn’t cover anybody or stop the run for ever, with very few exceptions. The team looks a little more organized, much better on offensive scheme that Sam and one go to receiver and growing pains are inevitable. To think any coach comes in and turns it around immediately is nuts. They turned over almost half the roster in the off season, it’s looking much better than either TH or CS. It just is. Not saying Sark is the answer, but things look much brighter than with the last two coaches. They were a disaster.

I really want Sark to work out for us. I REALLY DO! That said, the evidence is mounting that he is not going to get it done here. Your record says who you are, and Sark's says all we need to know. It's now regrettably just a matter of time.
Maybe he just needs that special quarterback play to kick in.

Most head coaches do.

John Madden once said “The only thing you learn from losing is how to lose.”
It's not the losing as much as its the stress of the moments. You have to be in them. You have to garner that experience.

Plus, Michael Jordan won more than madden did.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Mack Brown pulled Vince Young, and Chance Mock won the game versus Texas Tech. That’s apples to apples. Great coach versus extremely mediocre coach. We have a lemon. It sucks, but that’s the truth. Leaving Ewers in there will define the Sark era.
Completely different circumstances.

I still don't understand the Longhorns not using more jet sweeps, end-arounds, shuffle passes, hitches and short pitches to receivers in the name of helping their young quarterback and getting the ball to their best playmakers. It kind of blows my mind that Xavier Worthy averages a touch in the running game once every four games, while no other receiver even has a single carry.
While I'm in general agreement with this, the one major adjustment OSU made was to bring at least one safety up in the box for added run support. They knew Ewers was struggling in a very big way.

While attacking the edges as you suggest would have helped if, say, a safety crashed a B gap, it may not have helped at all if those safet(ies) was/were playing edge support. But a combo of what you suggest and incorporating the RBs and TE in the passing game on shorter routes would have helped a lot, IMO.

@Ketchum I personally was thinking more of bringing Card in when QE was obviously struggling more so as a weapon vs benching QE. Give him a few plays to observe while you can use card for his legs and some play action roll out type stuff.
Then to handle the postgame like Dabo did. Just think there was more they could have done with QE struggling so bad to win the game while still keeping him engaged.
when did you think was the right moment?

Reactions: Topcat79
It's not the losing as much as its the stress of the moments. You have to be in them. You have to garner that experience.

Plus, Michael Jordan won more than madden did.
The quote from Jordan was from a Nike commercial. He probably didn’t even write that.

And I’ll go out on a ledge that Quinn Ewers isn’t wired like Michael Jordan.

I get it….the others are more ghosts, demon or boogieman centric. You could argue that the Shining was very psychological, with a touch of mysticism. Again, probably just me and how I interpret that genre. Just to be clear, The Shining is one of the best all time IMO.
No, I get it. I understand those that might say it falls outside of the horror genre, but it has a lot of of the things you'd say need to be in there.

Reactions: Number-5
Refs were ridiculous. Apparently they did get called for two penalties. 1 was offset with our penalty and we declined the other.

The Shining is definitely the #1 horror movie ever. The chopped up twin girls in the hallway scared my young brain forever.

when did you think was the right moment?
Anytime in the 2nd half when it was clear QE wasn’t snapping out of it. I understand Texas was winning, but a change of pace was clearly needed.

Maybe QE sees something from the sideline that he wasn’t seeing under pressure, and starts looking in other directions when he gets back in. Who knows, just a thought.