ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman played it cool this weekend...)

So first of all I don't google for my news. And I think the point was made about the hypocrisy of tinsel town. But thanks for continuing your jackassery towards me!
Use any search engine. That's my point. If you don't think that Affleck's situation has been discussed or written about in large doses, you're just wrong. It's not a big deal, but acting like you know something is certain when it really isn't and then pointing the finger at me because you're uninformed while ranting about the hypocrisy of tinsel town... is... well... hypocrisy.

It looks like this website.;)
Right, but what is the single sentence driving your idea for the show.

For example, "subscriber content on OB can be a powerful platform for driving radio conversations and analysis of key topics of the day--we're going to highlight it and use it as a battery and jumper cables for a new radio/podcast platform".

Or, "The animals in the zoo can be interesting when on display."

Or, "turning OB into an audio-based magazine can drive new subscriber growth by making it easier to hook people into the site's content".

Or even, "OB is an interesting lens with which to look at pop culture, and it's something few other radios guys have in their back pocket."

I never lend much creedance to a group of people making millions of dollars a year that try to tell me what's right and wrong. If I wasted my time reading any stories about them I would be doing myself a great disservice.
so, who do you lend credence to?

Right, but what is the single sentence driving your idea for the show.

For example, "subscriber content on OB can be a powerful platform for driving radio conversations and analysis of key topics of the day--we're going to highlight it and use it as a battery and jumper cables for a new radio/podcast platform".

Or, "The animals in the zoo can be interesting when on display."

Or, "turning OB into an audio-based magazine can drive new subscriber growth by making it easier to hook people into the site's content".

Or even, "OB is an interesting lens with which to look at pop culture, and it's something few other radios guys have in their back pocket."
It's the show I've been doing for years, but with much more of a Orangebloods/Texas Longhorns tint to it.

The last show I did for four years was a national show that featured little UT discussion.

so, who do you lend credence to?

Well now that's a complicated one - I think the answer in the end is no one particular source. I take everything reported by media, public figures, politicians, etc. say with a grain of salt. I consider myself conservatively on the fence in a lot of cases as I don't side with one group or the other on all subjects.....Basically if I feel I'm under educated on something that's important to me I try to gather facts and opinions from family, friends, coworkers, and the public and come to my own semi-educated conclusion... I have a big problem with people who take a stance on something to the point of fanatacism just because their group of people identify with said stance and condemn, shun, criticize others who don't agree with them - case in point - HOLLYWOOD, which is why I commented on Rick's post. Does that answer your question?

Reactions: reddoor
I heard La La Land is a musical. Count me out. Nothing worse than a damn musical

Well now that's a complicated one - I think the answer in the end is no one particular source. I take everything reported by media, public figures, politicians, etc. say with a grain of salt. I consider myself conservatively on the fence in a lot of cases as I don't side with one group or the other on all subjects.....Basically if I feel I'm under educated on something that's important to me I try to gather facts and opinions from family, friends, coworkers, and the public and come to my own semi-educated conclusion... I have a big problem with people who take a stance on something to the point of fanatacism just because their group of people identify with said stance and condemn, shun, criticize others who don't agree with them - case in point - HOLLYWOOD, which is why I commented on Rick's post. Does that answer your question?
a. fair enough
b. that story was covered by outlets around the globe. It wasn't just some Hollywood controlled discussion.

Really, it was about as coherent as their performances in Bonnie and Clyde (as overrated a movie as there ever was), so, all-in-all, good and apropos 50th anniversary!

I'd be curious to know what your standard for excellence is insofar as movies are concerned. Bonnie and Clyde was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won 2. Competition for Best Picture that year was stiff to say the least. In The Heat Of The Night won, besting Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.

Roger Ebert, a respected and widely read critic, wrote a very positive review in September 1967 that began as follows:

"Bonnie and Clyde" is a milestone in the history of American movies, a work of truth and brilliance. It is also pitilessly cruel, filled with sympathy, nauseating, funny, heartbreaking, and astonishingly beautiful. If it does not seem that those words should be strung together, perhaps that is because movies do not very often reflect the full range of human life."

… Kim Mulkey doesn’t realize it, but she’s a huge part of the problem in Waco. Frankly, if she wants to talk, I have quite a few questions for her when it comes to the Baylor rape scandal. She comes across as someone more concerned with her own recruiting than any of the women whose lives were shattered in the name of winning football games.
You nailed it. That was my reaction to Mulkey's rant. The rape scandal is beginning to affect her recruiting and that is more important to her than the safety of women on the Baylor campus. As my dad used to say, you lie down dogs you get up with fleas.

Well a large faction of Muslims and most Sunnis do not consider Ahmadi Muslims, which he is, to be Muslim at all including some countries, namely Pakistan. The religion of peace has persecuted these people for a century and much blood has been shed to disavow these people and declare them non-Muslims.
ok

We're actually recording the show in the a.m.. I'll be free at 2pm.

Going to give it a listen, but will be tuning out ~2PM. :)

Have you provided a link for those of us out of towners?

Going to give it a listen, but will be tuning out ~2PM. :)

Have you provided a link for those of us out of towners?
It's in the article at the bottom, but I'll post a link around noon or so.

Reactions: pied
I don't get how Timberlake writes a top rated song on the charts, it's the most downloaded song of 2016, and it loses to a song in freaking La la Land as best original song.

Moonlight was the #101 grossing movie at the box office(domestic) and #133 worldwide. Clearly not the most popular movie. FWIW La La Land was #20/#24 and Trolls #17/#26.

Moonlight was the #101 grossing movie at the box office(domestic) and #133 worldwide. Clearly not the most popular movie. FWIW La La Land was #20/#24 and Trolls #17/#26.
True, but we're discussing Best Song and not movie.

I think they typically lean hard to popularity on that award.

Three of the previous four winners included Adele, John Legend and Sam Smith.

I'd be curious to know what your standard for excellence is insofar as movies are concerned. Bonnie and Clyde was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won 2. Competition for Best Picture that year was stiff to say the least. In The Heat Of The Night won, besting Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.

Roger Ebert, a respected and widely read critic, wrote a very positive review in September 1967 that began as follows:

"Bonnie and Clyde" is a milestone in the history of American movies, a work of truth and brilliance. It is also pitilessly cruel, filled with sympathy, nauseating, funny, heartbreaking, and astonishingly beautiful. If it does not seem that those words should be strung together, perhaps that is because movies do not very often reflect the full range of human life."

It hasn't held up well. Interesting at the time perhaps, not very good now. Lots more of movies are like that.

Let's not get too caught up in their order, I was just listing it as evidence that Bondman's critique of the movie was a little harsh.

It's viewed as a classic and it's the 50th anniversary, which justifies the two leads from the movie giving Best Picture out last night.

JMO.

Let's not get too caught up in their order, I was just listing it as evidence that Bondman's critique of the movie was a little harsh.

It's viewed as a classic and it's the 50th anniversary, which justifies the two leads from the movie giving Best Picture out last night.

JMO.

For sure. Once you get into that rarified air of film creation, the subjectivity of rankings is, well, very subjective.

The Academy Awards often don't make sense. There's been some head scratching wins in its history.

Hoop Dreams, one of the greatest documentaries ever made didn't even get nominated in 1994.

Ordinary People beating Raging Bull?

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas?

The English Patient beating Fargo?

A Beautiful Mind beating The Fellowship of the Ring?

Rubbish!

And Zootopia was an enjoyable but forgettable animated movie imo.
Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan

For sure. Once you get into that rarified air of film creation, the subjectivity of rankings is, well, very subjective.
Kind of amazing that both are still around and look as good as they do. I remembered real quickly that both are pushing 80 when all hell broke loose.

There are a bunch of older movies that people still love and recommend, Bonnie and Clyde is not one of them. I doubt if most under 50 have even seen it. It was "shocking" and "influential" at the time, but looks old and dated now. Some movies never grow old and some look old once their era is over. Lots from the 60's and early 70's fall into the latter group.

I doubt that people watching it for the first time now would think that it is particularly good, much less one of the top 30 of all time. It is overrated no matter what AFI says. A quick look at the list confirms that it is way too high. Far better movies are listed below it.

My problem with La La Land was that, while I really enjoyed the movie, it wasn't a great all-time musical if we take actual singing and performing in the vein of a true masterpiece musical.

There are a bunch of older movies that people still love and recommend, Bonnie and Clyde is not one of them. I doubt if most under 50 have even seen it. It was "shocking" and "influential" at the time, but looks old and dated now. Some movies never grow old and some look old once their era is over. Lots from the 60's and early 70's fall into the latter group.

I doubt that people watching it for the first time now would think that it is particularly good, much less one of the top 30 of all time. It is overrated no matter what AFI says. A quick look at the list confirms that it is way too high. Far better movies are listed below it.
Most movies that are 50 years old feel dated.

Wasnt beatty's fault. He knew it was wrong and wouldn't say it, the woman just blurted out the winner, like a dumba$$.

It was partly his fault because he knew it was wrong and didn't say anything.

Truth be known there is a lot of disappointment in only one commitment coming out of this junior day. We've got this hot shot coach but only have one commitment total so far? Doesn't stack up st all with all the other top programs st this point. Geez AnM and OK make us look like an expansion team. A lot can be said about momentum and we didn't pick up much if any over the weekend. I know the get-back-to-me-in-January crowd will be all over this but I think I speak for quite a few posters who feel let down by what just happened.
You should try reading the article and adjusting your expectations. Ketch made very clear that there's a new philosophy about junior days and that means no pressure to commit this early. Do you not follow recruiting and the de-commitment season at A&M every year like clockwork? Are you telling me you'd rather have a bunch of meaningless placeholder commitments in February a year before signing day, or try another approach like Tom Herman is doing? I'll take the latter.

And one more thing, you have no idea what kind of momentum came out of this weekend unless you are talking to the recruits themselves, which I'm sure you are not.

ADVERTISEMENT