ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman played it cool this weekend...)

Use any search engine. That's my point. If you don't think that Affleck's situation has been discussed or written about in large doses, you're just wrong. It's not a big deal, but acting like you know something is certain when it really isn't and then pointing the finger at me because you're uninformed while ranting about the hypocrisy of tinsel town... is... well... hypocrisy.
"Ranting"?! Really seems your the one ranting here dude

Reactions: reddoor
It was partly his fault because he knew it was wrong and didn't say anything.
It'd a horrible spot to be in and I hate to MMQB this one, but you have to announce that you have the wrong card. You can't let the winner be guessed.

It'd a horrible spot to be in and I hate to MMQB this one, but you have to announce that you have the wrong card. You can't let the winner be guessed.

I agree. Better to check than let what happened, happen.

Most movies that are 50 years old feel dated.

Not the great ones. Obviously there are elements that date any movie, but ones like the first 2 Godfathers, To Kill a Mockingbird, Casablanca, the Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, and Lawrence of Arabia have a timelessness about them that defines what a classic is.

Just thinking about including Bonnie and Clyde on a list anywhere close to those makes my point pretty well. It Is not like those at all, in my opinion. I felt that way when it came our as well.

Most movies that are 50 years old feel dated.
I try not to hold a movie's age against it. I was watching King Kong, the original 1933 movie the other day. It's FX are obviously dated, but it also has that special charm to it, especially the Ray Harryhausen stop-motion FX that make movies like that fun and charming, at least in my eyes.

Even non FX movies of the past can inform you how things used to be in a given time period, both good and bad. There's definitely some movies that are dated in terms of negative stereotypes and poor characterization of people and an era. I won't dispute that, but they can also inform you about how people used to think back then too, which in itself can be educational.

That's just my take.

Not the great ones. Obviously there are elements that date any movie, but ones like the first 2 Godfathers, To Kill a Mockingbird, Casablanca, the Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, and Lawrence of Arabia have a timelessness about them that defines what a classic is.

Just thinking about including Bonnie and Clyde on a list anywhere close to those makes my point pretty well. It is not even close to those.
I watched Bonnie and Clyde about 3 months ago on blu ray, and while agree it's not in the class of the great films you mentioned. It's still a very good film imo. It has Great cinematography and excellent performances, particularly Faye Dunaway.

Reactions: Perdy
Kind of amazing that both are still around and look as good as they do. I remembered real quickly that both are pushing 80 when all hell broke loose.

They do. When I saw him beginning to obviously take his time announcing the winner, I thought it was senility kicking in. In retrospect, his actions made complete sense.

Just thinking about including Bonnie and Clyde on a list anywhere close to those makes my point pretty well. It Is not like those at all, in my opinion. I felt that way when it came our as well.
You can't really be suggesting that some of those movies don't feel dated.

The Wizard of Oz?

Agree with your comment about the women players turning down shots that must be taken and made. You simply cannot have players on the floor who refuse to accept responsibility of taking uncontested, makeable shots. Those players belong on the bench in crunch time. I blame the coaches at least as much as the players for having them in the game at that point. By this time in the season the coaches must know who they can rely on.

use any word you want to describe the way you articulated your position, but the larger and more important still remains. Dude.
I don't use search engines for my news, heck I don't get much news these days to begin with so ok you win that battle.
Go back and look at what I wrote, which is very little so there was never a rant on my part.
I took the original post to be as it is hypocritical for those to scream any kind of ism towards a certain person only to ignore (that's the key word, ok now I'm ranting) during a ceremony. That is all!
I'm calmer than you dude!

I don't use search engines for my news, heck I don't get much news these days to begin with so ok you win that battle.
Go back and look at what I wrote, which is very little so there was never a rant on my part.
I took the original post to be as it is hypocritical for those to scream any kind of ism towards a certain person only to ignore (that's the key word, ok now I'm ranting) during a ceremony. That is all!
I'm calmer than you dude!
a. The whole point that we're discussing is me pointing out that in reality, much was written and reported on as it relates to Casey Affleck's situation. It was intimated that Hollywood somehow was ignoring that story and it's just not true. It hovered over his every move last night. My only point as it relates to a search engine was to provide proof on the depth and variety on that story being reported on.

b. It feels like you're debating me for the sport of it all and not based on any real point, other than I'm an asshole.

c. Only one of us is using exclamation marks.;)

Reactions: I Hear Voices
a. The whole point that we're discussing is me pointing out that in reality, much was written and reported on as it relates to Casey Affleck's situation. It was intimated that Hollywood somehow was ignoring that story and it's just not true. It hovered over his every move last night. My only point as it relates to a search engine was to provide proof on the depth and variety on that story being reported on.

b. It feels like you're debating me for the sport of it all and not based on any real point, other than I'm an asshole.

Well the last part of your second point is spot on,;)

You can't really be suggesting that some of those movies don't feel dated.

The Wizard of Oz?

If you read my post I acknowledged that old movies feel dated. I suggested that the great one possess a certain timeless quality that is part of what makes them classics. I would definitely put the Wizard of Oz in that category. Bonnie and Clyde not so much.

Actually I acknowledged that old movies feel dated. I suggested that the great one possess a certain timeless quality that is part of what makes them classics. I would definitely put the Wizard of Oz in that category. Bonnie and Clyde not so much.
Fair enough. At the end of the day, I promise I don't care that much about the movie.;)

all three points, actually.:D

one was probably more true than the other two, though. Point conceded.
All I did was quote someone else's post and say boom. You engaged me instead of the poster of quoted post so I guess we'll agree to disagree on which point is the most accurate.:p

Haven't seen one , honestly didn't hear anything about it until here.
It's been discussed on the site a few times, especially within this column, as I've updated my weekly rankings.

I honestly didn't know about it until after I saw the movie. Once I knew about it, I noticed more and more coverage.

Every tweet about him last night seemed to have a reference to his situation.

All I did was quote someone else's post and say boom. You engaged me instead of the poster of quoted post so I guess we'll agree to disagree on which point is the most accurate.:p
Head-Shake-gif-sad.gif

Haven't seen one , honestly didn't hear anything about it until here.

Perhaps that because the events that caused article to be written and suits to be filed took place in 2008. The stories about Mr. Affleck's bad behavior has followed him around for years. And as journalists wrote articles about the upcoming Oscar ceremony, Mr. Affleck's past behavior again became part of the Oscar storyline.

b. aren't one have one. we all do. :)

BTW it's your fault that I continuously change my avatar now - especially when at work and something goes south, which is often LOL

Perhaps that because the events that caused article to be written and suits to be filed took place in 2008. The stories about Mr. Affleck's bad behavior has followed him around for years. And as journalists wrote articles about the upcoming Oscar ceremony, Mr. Affleck's past behavior again became part of the Oscar storyline.
Probably goes back to the release of the film. Everyone knew that this was Oscar bait and that's when I started to see them. I was unaware until that time of any issues.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
b. aren't one have one. we all do. :)

BTW it's your fault that I continuously change my avatar now - especially when at work and something goes south, which is often LOL
Embrace the avi changes!

Dev Patel and Amy Adams got screwed. I don't trust the Academy any longer. They focus too much on other things instead of the screen.

Reactions: PaulieD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT