ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman played it cool this weekend...)

start with set design?
If one can use their imagination when one goes to see a play on a stage then one can easily overlook set design and matte paintings from older movies.

By today's standards the original theatrical cuts of Star Wars have outdated FX, but who the hell cares? Those original movies are much more preferable imo than the gross alterations Lucas made to his movies.

If one can use their imagination when one goes to see a play on a stage then one can easily overlook set design and matte paintings from older movies.

By today's standards the original theatrical cuts of Star Wars have outdated FX, but who the hell cares? Those original movies are much more preferable imo than the gross alterations Lucas made to his movies.
Star Wars is dated as well. Doesn't mean it's not great, but it is what it is.

Star Wars is dated as well. Doesn't mean it's not great, but it is what it is.
Don't you like those old Ray Harryhousen movies like 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts? Those movies have charm because of the outdated stop-motion FX that were used.

I think you're being too hard on past movies for having outdated FX or set designs. To each his own.

Reactions: PaulieD
Don't you like those old Ray Harryhousen movies like 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts? Those movies have charm because of the outdated stop-motion FX that were used.

I think you're being too hard on past movies for having outdated FX or set designs. To each his own.
I'm not being too hard on anything.

I was defending another person saying Bonnie and Clyde's greatness as a movie is diminished because it is dated by merely pointing out that most movies 50+ years deal with being somewhat dated.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
I'm not being too hard on anything.

I was defending another person saying Bonnie and Clyde's greatness as a movie is diminished because it is dated by merely pointing out that most movies 50+ years deal with being somewhat dated.
giphy.gif

:D

Reactions: reddoor
Ketch, out of curiosity, what is your favorite movie that's the oldest?

I ask this honestly, not with the intent to argue or make a point.

I think mine would be The Passion of Joan of Arc, a really good silent movie.

Ketch, out of curiosity, what is your favorite movie that's the oldest?

I ask this honestly, not with the intent to argue or make a point.
I own movies going all the way back to 1927.

My personal favorites from the 30s would include Gone With the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Stagecoach, Mutiny on the Bounty, It Happened One night, A Farewell to Arms, Grant Hotel, etc...

My personal favorites from the 30s would include Gone With the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Stagecoach, Mutiny on the Bounty, It Happened One night, A Farewell to Arms, Grant Hotel, etc...
Great list! I still need to see Wuthering Heights.

The Kid and other Chaplin movies are also great.

Meryl stole her spot.

Not following....

Emma was more deserving for Birdman and she is a doll so I'm not hating on her at all. Just thought AA was far and away better this year.

If Lion had been about a family separated because of immigration instead a lost boy, it wins all the awards. That's what the academy has become. Ali is awesome in House of Cards btw. But Patel was strong in an emotional role.

Rear Window, North by Northwest

Great list Ketch. Side note: What do you think about the rumors of a Man Who Shot Liberty Valence remake? Eastwood, Jeff Bridges, Denzel, Diane Lane, and Tom Hanks rumored.

That's why racism will never go away. You olds care about the first "Muslim/black/Mexican/Asian/nudist/atheist...."

We just see that a human being won it. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just how it should be.
Ageist!

well, there's been a lot of Catholic's that have won Oscars. If it happened for the first time in 2017, it would be a foot-note..
Just Catholics, my man. Watch those rogue apostrophes, it's a slippery slope.

Not following....

Emma was more deserving for Birdman and she is a doll so I'm not hating on her at all. Just thought AA was far and away better this year.

If Lion had been about a family separated because of immigration instead a lost boy, it wins all the awards. That's what the academy has become. Ali is awesome in House of Cards btw. But Patel was strong in an emotional role.
Meryl didn't deserve to be nominated. She stole Any's nomination.

Amy was No.1 pick all year for best actress.

Reactions: PaulieD
Great list Ketch. Side note: What do you think about the rumors of a Man Who Shot Liberty Valence remake? Eastwood, Jeff Bridges, Denzel, Diane Lane, and Tom Hanks rumored.
I think I'll wait to comment before I see the full roster.

Hermans team loves gifs because the kids live gifs, just clever marketing. And no chance Herman is picking these out, his creative brand director or whatever people are, he is an old.

You have terrible taste in movies. You didn't even mention any of these in your personal favorites. Shame on you

• Reefer Madness (1936) ...
  • Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) ...
  • Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) ...
  • Barbarella (1968) ...
  • Howard the Duck (1986) ...
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) ...
  • Mac and Me (1988) ...
  • Troll 2 (1990)
  • PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959),
    BARBARELLA (1968),

HOWARD THE DUCK (1986) and
    UNITED PASSIONS (2014)
    are highly rated.
You even missed Flash Gordon's trip to Mars made in the '30s

Last edited:

Gotcha. Went over my head. My bad. BTW watched Arrival again Sat night. I thought It was better the 2nd time.

I think I'll wait to comment before I see the full roster.

Fair enough. It's one of my favorites and one that I think should be only remade by a great director and star studded cast. Doesn't get enough credit as a GOAT category nominee IMHO.

besides being a fantastic actor
I am totally in love with her
although my wife is not aware as of yet
which is why I can focus, type, etc.
Hook Em.

It's been discussed on the site a few times, especially within this column, as I've updated my weekly rankings.

I honestly didn't know about it until after I saw the movie. Once I knew about it, I noticed more and more coverage.

Every tweet about him last night seemed to have a reference to his situation.
Oh I believe you it's just that I haven't seen any. I don't read a lot of pubs dealing with Hollywood I guess. (looking at the babes in my wife's People mag doesn't count.)

Jason and the Argonauts! Awesomeness!

Reactions: trophies2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT