ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman played it cool this weekend...)

You have terrible taste in movies. You didn't even mention any of these in your personal favorites. Shame on you

• Reefer Madness (1936) ...
  • Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) ...
  • Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) ...
  • Barbarella (1968) ...
  • Howard the Duck (1986) ...
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) ...
  • Mac and Me (1988) ...
  • Troll 2 (1990)
  • PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959),
    BARBARELLA (1968),

HOWARD THE DUCK (1986) and
    UNITED PASSIONS (2014)
    are highly rated.
You even missed Flash Gordon's trip to Mars made in the '30s
Howard the Duck was a careless omission on my part.

Fair enough. It's one of my favorites and one that I think should be only remade by a great director and star studded cast. Doesn't get enough credit as a GOAT category nominee IMHO.
I think it's universally acclaimed as a great western, no?

Oh I believe you it's just that I haven't seen any. I don't read a lot of pubs dealing with Hollywood I guess. (looking at the babes in my wife's People mag doesn't count.)
Yeah, I'm into the nerdy movie stuff, so it blinds my prism.

You have terrible taste in movies. You didn't even mention any of these in your personal favorites. Shame on you

• Reefer Madness (1936) ...
  • Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) ...
  • Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) ...
  • Barbarella (1968) ...
  • Howard the Duck (1986) ...
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) ...
  • Mac and Me (1988) ...
  • Troll 2 (1990)
  • PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959),
    BARBARELLA (1968),

HOWARD THE DUCK (1986) and
    UNITED PASSIONS (2014)
    are highly rated.
You even missed Flash Gordon's trip to Mars made in the '30s
Mac and Me. One of the most hilarious movies ever made.

Jason and the Argonauts! Awesomeness!
2YusXLl.gif

Reactions: EG-man
Meryl didn't deserve to be nominated. She stole Any's nomination.

Amy was No.1 pick all year for best actress.

I will differ on this assessment. We almost didn't watch Florence Foster Jenkins because we didn't think we could listen to someone singing off key. However, once we did - which was within the last 10 days - we were not only entertained, but were reminded of just how great an actress Meryl Streep is.

Good God. She could play a fence post and give a memorable performance.

Having said that, I think Gregory Peck (To Kill A Mockingbird) stole the Oscar from Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia).

Fire away.

I will differ on this assessment. We almost didn't watch Florence Foster Jenkins because we didn't think we could listen to someone singing off key. However, once we did - which was within the last 10 days - we were not only entertained, but were reminded of just how great an actress Meryl Streep is.

Good God. She could play a fence post and give a memorable performance.

Having said that, I think Gregory Peck (To Kill A Mockingbird) stole the Oscar from Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia).

Fire away.
It wasn't that Meryl wasn't great, it's just that I don't believe she warranted a nomination this year. I liked Florence Foster Jenkins.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Moonlight was the #101 grossing movie at the box office(domestic) and #133 worldwide. Clearly not the most popular movie. FWIW La La Land was #20/#24 and Trolls #17/#26.

I get your point because the Academy understands what it takes to make a movie, the importance of cinematography, script, and casting. Their ability to judge what it takes to create and record the best original song, not so much. The creation process for a song is similar with popularity being what best gauges success. I'd love to hear your honest opinion on why the La la land song is more deserving based on the technical merits of the creation and performance process rather than blindly pointing out that what is most popular doesn't always win.

I get your point because the Academy understands what it takes to make a movie, the importance of cinematography, script, and casting. Their ability to judge what it takes to create and record the best original song, not so much. The creation process for a song is similar with popularity being what best gauges success. I'd love to hear your honest opinion on why the La la land song is more deserving based on the technical merits of the creation and performance process rather than blindly pointing out that what is most popular doesn't always win.

Guys (pided and Texas Diesel), as both of you probably well know, "most popular" by whatever standard doesn't always win Oscars. Many, many songs and films rack the big bucks at the box office or the "record store" but Academy votes don't necessarily think they are the best. They vote not to reflect public opinion, but their own opinion. As well they should.

I think the Star Wars, James Bond, and Indiana Jones franchises are good examples. The money rolls in, but those involved in the industry also believed that other productions were more deserving an award or at least a nomination. These types of films often get technical awards, but don't always grab the top prizes.

The original Star Wars is a good example. It won a number of awards, but the top awards went elsewhere. Who is to say what was best, but the members of the Academy voted and the chips fell.

Reactions: pied
Guys (pided and Texas Diesel), as both of you probably well know, "most popular" by whatever standard doesn't always win Oscars. Many, many songs and films rack the big bucks at the box office or the "record store" but Academy votes don't necessarily think they are the best. They vote not to reflect public opinion, but their own opinion. As well they should.

I think the Star Wars, James Bond, and Indiana Jones franchises are good examples. The money rolls in, but those involved in the industry also believed that other productions were more deserving an award or at least a nomination. These types of films often get technical awards, but don't always grab the top prizes.

The original Star Wars is a good example. It won a number of awards, but the top awards went elsewhere. Who is to say what was best, but the members of the Academy voted and the chips fell.

No, I get it and was trying to point that out in my post because I understand how the Academy know more about movie making and the production value of movies goes beyond what is popular. What I don't get is how the song from La La Land is the movie version of better production value than JT's song. If anyone can explain that, it would help me understand it better than the Academy just liked the movie better and went with the song during their vote, similar to how voting straight party on Election Day might result in some nonsensical winners.

No, I get it and was trying to point that out in my post because I understand how the Academy know more about movie making and the production value of movies goes beyond what is popular. What I don't get is how the song from La La Land is the movie version of better production value than JT's song. If anyone can explain that, it would help me understand it better than the Academy just liked the movie better and went with the song during their vote, similar to how voting straight party on Election Day might result in some nonsensical winners.

Well I think we are now down to subjective decisions. The Mrs. and I both believed that both nominated songs from La La Land could have won and we would have been satisfied. After all, the lyrics of both songs are solid in our judgment and the melodies are also solid and memorable. But then again, that is our opinion.

Personally, I wish I had written both of them. I would have been quite proud of that effort.

Ketch, please bring me up to speed on Casey Thompson. The only QB I studied was Justin Rogers, and he looked awesome, but I hear CT looks excellent too.

First I'd say "judging" any art is subjective. There can be some basic qualities for a specific competition, but IMO a film or song would have similar criteria, not necessarily success.

Note, I'll admit I liked LaLa Land and am a long-time "jazz" guy and certainly own my bias.

Here's my take on your request:

I'd love to hear your honest opinion on why the La la land song is more deserving based on the technical merits of the creation and performance process rather than blindly pointing out that what is most popular doesn't always win.

To me, City of Stars is a great tribute harkening back to the nightclub days of old. While certainly not complex, it has a good hook. While a gorgeous love song duet, the title in and of itself sets the scene of not only the song, but the movie. I think the song stands on its own, but understand it will NEVER get the same type if airplay/popularity as Can't Stop The Feeling.

As a song in a movie, it fits PERFECTLY in my opinion. Spoiler alert -
you have two people who are focused on pretty much nothing else but their craft. All of a sudden, and in this song they realize there's more to it and what love is and what it means to them. Of course, the path to togetherness eventually leads to their separation.

[Sebastian's Verse: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
City of stars
Are you shining just for me?
City of stars
There's so much that I can't see
Who knows?
I felt it from the first embrace I shared with you
That now our dreams
They've finally come true

[Mia's Verse: Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling]
City of stars
Just one thing everybody wants
There in the bars
And through the smokescreen of the crowded restaurants
It's love
Yes, all we're looking for is love from someone else
A rush
A glance
A touch
A dance

[Duet: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
A look in somebody's eyes
To light up the skies
To open the world and send it reeling
A voice that says, I'll be here
And you'll be alright

I don't care if I know
Just where I will go
'Cause all that I need is this crazy feeling
A rat-tat-tat on my heart

[Outro: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
Think I want it to stay
City of stars
City of stars
You never shined so brightly

Now to Can't Stop The Feeling. I did not see Trolls, and to be honest didn't know it was part of the movie. I heard it a ton this summer and it's a great pop song and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. I can kind of guess the message seeing the video, and it has some meaning, but in the end it's a fun and in this case very fun song. I'm certainly open to a further interpretation, but not sure there's a lot there that's deep.

I got this feeling inside my bones
It goes electric, wavey when I turn it on
All through my city, all through my home
We're flying up, no ceiling, when we're in our zone

[Pre-chorus 1:]
I got that sunshine in my pocket
Got that good soul in my feet
I feel that hot blood in my body when it drops, ooh
I can't take my eyes up off it, moving so phenomenally
Room on lock the way we rock it, so don't stop

[Chorus:]
And under the lights when everything goes
Nowhere to hide when I'm getting you close
When we move, well, you already know
So just imagine, just imagine, just imagine
Nothing I can see but you when you dance, dance, dance
Feeling good, good, creeping up on you
So just dance, dance, dance, come on
All those things I shouldn't do
But you dance, dance, dance
And ain't nobody leaving soon, so keep dancing

[Post-chorus 1:]
I can't stop the feeling
So just dance, dance, dance
I can't stop the feeling

[Verse 2:]
Ooh, it's something magical
It's in the air, it's in my blood, it's rushing on
Don't need no reason, don't need control
I fly so high, no ceiling, when I'm in my zone

[Pre-chorus 2:]
'Cause I got that sunshine in my pocket

[Post-chorus 2:]
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
So keep dancing, come on

[Bridge:]
I can't stop the, I can't stop the
I can't stop the feeling

(I can't stop the feeling)

[Post-chorus 3:]
Everybody sing
Got this feeling in my body
Wanna see you move your body
Break it down
Can't stop the feeling
Got this feeling in my body, come on

At the end of the day, that song rode the momentum from La La Land's movement. If that song had been in a different movie, it doesn't win IMO.

I think I prefer Audition better than City of Stars.

I think I prefer Audition better than City of Stars.
I thought the Moana song was the most impressive when performed live, which is as subjective of an observation as possible..

I thought the Moana song was the most impressive when performed live, which is as subjective of an observation as possible..

I have a soft spot for Lin Manuel Miranda. Maybe a bit of a man-crush(been jamming to the deleted songs from Hamilton all weekend). If I'm being honest, I wanted to like the music in Moana more than I actually did. Really liked it though.

First I'd say "judging" any art is subjective. There can be some basic qualities for a specific competition, but IMO a film or song would have similar criteria, not necessarily success.

Note, I'll admit I liked LaLa Land and am a long-time "jazz" guy and certainly own my bias.

Here's my take on your request:

I'd love to hear your honest opinion on why the La la land song is more deserving based on the technical merits of the creation and performance process rather than blindly pointing out that what is most popular doesn't always win.

To me, City of Stars is a great tribute harkening back to the nightclub days of old. While certainly not complex, it has a good hook. While a gorgeous love song duet, the title in and of itself sets the scene of not only the song, but the movie. I think the song stands on its own, but understand it will NEVER get the same type if airplay/popularity as Can't Stop The Feeling.

As a song in a movie, it fits PERFECTLY in my opinion. Spoiler alert -
you have two people who are focused on pretty much nothing else but their craft. All of a sudden, and in this song they realize there's more to it and what love is and what it means to them. Of course, the path to togetherness eventually leads to their separation.

[Sebastian's Verse: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
City of stars
City of stars
There's so much that I can't see
Who knows?
I felt it from the first embrace I shared with you
That now our dreams
They've finally come true

[Mia's Verse: Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling]
City of stars
Just one thing everybody wants
There in the bars
And through the smokescreen of the crowded restaurants
It's love
Yes, all we're looking for is love from someone else
A rush
A glance
A touch
A dance

[Duet: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
A look in somebody's eyes
To light up the skies
To open the world and send it reeling
A voice that says, I'll be here
And you'll be alright

I don't care if I know
Just where I will go
'Cause all that I need is this crazy feeling
A rat-tat-tat on my heart

[Outro: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone]
Think I want it to stay
City of stars
City of stars
You never shined so brightly

Now to Can't Stop The Feeling. I did not see Trolls, and to be honest didn't know it was part of the movie. I heard it a ton this summer and it's a great pop song and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. I can kind of guess the message seeing the video, and it has some meaning, but in the end it's a fun and in this case very fun song. I'm certainly open to a further interpretation, but not sure there's a lot there that's deep.

I got this feeling inside my bones
It goes electric, wavey when I turn it on
All through my city, all through my home
We're flying up, no ceiling, when we're in our zone

[Pre-chorus 1:]
I got that sunshine in my pocket

[Post-chorus 1:]
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling

[Verse 2:]
Ooh, it's something magical
It's in the air, it's in my blood, it's rushing on
Don't need no reason, don't need control
I fly so high, no ceiling, when I'm in my zone

[Pre-chorus 2:]
'Cause I got that sunshine in my pocket

[Post-chorus 2:]
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
I can't stop the feeling
So keep dancing, come on

[Bridge:]
I can't stop the feeling

[Post-chorus 3:]
Everybody sing
Wanna see you move your body
Break it down
Can't stop the feeling
Got this feeling in my body, come on
Seriously?

I have a soft spot for Lin Manuel Miranda. Maybe a bit of a man-crush(been jamming to the deleted songs from Hamilton all weekend). If I'm being honest, I wanted to like the music in Moana more than I actually did. Really liked it though.
But, that 16-year old sang her ass off!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT