ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Xanax should sponsor this week's Big 12 Championship...)

Ketch, I am probably your greatest fan, not to mention being a fellow Knight, but I got to tell you that you are in need of some sort of reality therapy to help with this distorted view of Aaron Rogers.

I think QB's have to go like this:
1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5.Roger Staubach
6. John Elway
7. Steve Young
8. Troy Aikman
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Terry Bradshaw

As for Baker and Hue, it isn't exactly apple to apples. OU is a large step up from Texas Tech, and he walked on at both locations. He didn't get handed anything.

Daylon Mack Fits our system perfectly. He would've had a Poona Ford type of impact at the nose. Mad he got away!

Ketch, I am probably your greatest fan, not to mention being a fellow Knight, but I got to tell you that you are in need of some sort of reality therapy to help with this distorted view of Aaron Rogers.
My love knows no limits.

I think QB's have to go like this:
1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5.Roger Staubach
6. John Elway
7. Steve Young
8. Troy Aikman
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Terry Bradshaw

As for Baker and Hue, it isn't exactly apple to apples. OU is a large step up from Texas Tech, and he walked on at both locations. He didn't get handed anything.
what's the case for Montana over Brady?

Do people on here really think Aaron Rodgers is not elite? The guy is probably top QB in the league and has been elite for a while.

He's better in every way a quarterback can be better.
Naaaah. Montana won. And he won big. Multiple times. Rogers has won the same number of Super Bowls Bret Favre won. And Montana did it when QBs had to actually be football players and when defenders were allowed to defend. Rogers gets to wear a skirt and throw to guys who have barely been touched and who can run over the middle freely without fear of getting trucked.

Montana's career record is 117-48. Rogers is 97-52. I supposed Joe could come back and lose 5 more games to give Rogers a better argument...Joe has also won 7 more playoff games than Aaron, and they have both lost 7 games. Joe has 3 more Super Bowl victories. He also has 2 more Super Bowl MVPs. He also led two different franchises to Conference Championship games. Joe also revived a franchise that was 2-14 they year before he was drafted. The Packers were 13-3 the year before Roger's started.

Rogers resume is unlikely to get much better, and Joe's is never getting worse.

Naaaah. Montana won. And he won big. Multiple times. Rogers has won the same number of Super Bowls Bret Favre won. And Montana did it when QBs had to actually be football players and when defenders were allowed to defend. Rogers gets to wear a skirt and throw to guys who have barely been touched and who can run over the middle freely without fear of getting trucked.

Montana's career record is 117-48. Rogers is 97-52. I supposed Joe could come back and lose 5 more games to give Rogers a better argument...Joe has also won 7 more playoff games than Aaron, and they have both lost 7 games. Joe has 3 more Super Bowl victories. He also has 2 more Super Bowl MVPs. He also led two different franchises to Conference Championship games. Joe also revived a franchise that was 2-14 they year before he was drafted. The Packers were 13-3 the year before Roger's started.

Rogers resume is unlikely to get much better, and Joe's is never getting worse.
Joe Montana played on a dynasty with the greatest players and coaching in an era of football.

He played with Hall of Famers up and down the line-up.

Rodgers on those 49ers teams? are you kidding me?

Joe Montana played on a dynasty with the greatest players and coaching in an era of football.

He played with Hall of Famers up and down the line-up.

Rodgers on those 49ers teams? are you kidding me?
All significantly successful teams end up with a ton of guys elected to the HOF. The fact is, Montana was more successful in a tougher, more physical, better played era of football. Teams then drilled and tackled all week, and were allowed to take that physicality to the field. Frankly, I don't think Rodgers would be nearly as successful getting his in the face and chest 7 times per game. I don't know that he'd be as successful throwing to guys who aren't running wide open. He does have a wonderful arm, but guys today are streaking across the middle with a 2 yard gap and no fear of being hit. Aside from Jerry Rice, I am not sure any of the players Montana played with on offense would have been HOF players without playing with he and Steve Young.

All significantly successful teams end up with a ton of guys elected to the HOF. The fact is, Montana was more successful in a tougher, more physical, better played era of football. Teams then drilled and tackled all week, and were allowed to take that physicality to the field. Frankly, I don't think Rodgers would be nearly as successful getting his in the face and chest 7 times per game. I don't know that he'd be as successful throwing to guys who aren't running wide open. He does have a wonderful arm, but guys today are streaking across the middle with a 2 yard gap and no fear of being hit. Aside from Jerry Rice, I am not sure any of the players Montana played with on offense would have been HOF players without playing with he and Steve Young.
He just wasn't better.

Do people on here really think Aaron Rodgers is not elite? The guy is probably top QB in the league and has been elite for a while.
Obviously he is elite. That's not the issue. The issue is whether he is better than the best (imo) clutch player of all time, Joe Montana. By the way I also hated the 90's 49ers.

Seems to not be enough room on a list of 10 to include all deserving candidates. Hard to exclude Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw and Starr.

You're right. He was much better, when it was real football and in big gsmes.
lol.

He won more Super Bowls and he was on the better team with better players and coaches, but Joe Montana simply isn't as good of a quarterback than Aaron Rodgers.

If you took Montana off the Niners and put Rodgers on, they win at least four Super Bowls.

If you take Rodgers off the Packers and put Montana on, they ain't winning any Super Bowls.

Seems to not be enough room on a list of 10 to include all deserving candidates. Hard to exclude Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw and Starr.
Other than Elway, the others were easy to leave off.

Other than Elway, the others were easy to leave off.
Seems to me you overweight statistics and underweight results of performance against peers. And it's probably easier to build impressive statistics in today's game than was formerly the case.

lol.

He won more Super Bowls and he was on the better team with better players and coaches, but Joe Montana simply isn't as good of a quarterback than Aaron Rodgers.

If you took Montana off the Niners and put Rodgers on, they win at least four Super Bowls.

If you take Rodgers off the Packers and put Montana on, they ain't winning any Super Bowls.
That is laughable. Stick to college ball

Obviously he is elite. That's not the issue. The issue is whether he is better than the best (imo) clutch player of all time, Joe Montana. By the way I also hated the 90's 49ers.

Rodgers is elite. He just isn't Joe Montana elite.

Seems to me you overweight statistics and underweight results of performance against peers. And it's probably easier to build impressive statistics in today's game than was formerly the case.
who did I include that you believe was unworthy?

That is laughable. Stick to college ball
giphy.gif

In an era of newfound quarterback greatness, Rodgers' career numbers are an entire tier higher than the likes of Brees and Brady.

He transcends what the high level of play at a position looks like.

In an era of newfound quarterback greatness, Rodgers' career numbers are an entire tier higher than the likes of Brees and Brady.

And yet, that doesn't translate to more wins, or championships....maybe it's because some of the things that advanced metrics do an absolute sh*t job of telling you is who was the better leader. Who was better when it meant the most. Almost no expert would pick Rodgers over Brady or Montana.
Montana was 8-24 his first 2 years in the NFL. He went 109-23 for the rest of his career....Rodgers walked into a 13-3 situation and has semi-maintained it. He is elite, but he behind Brees and Brady amongst current QBs, and being chased by Goff and Mahomes among the younger fellas....

I have Brady over Montana. If Joe would've gotten KC in Superbowl, then the story may be different.

I have Brady over Montana. If Joe would've gotten KC in Superbowl, then the story may be different.
M

Ketch, you are more tenacious (dare I say stubborn?) than a pit bull or snapping turtle!

And yet, that doesn't translate to more wins, or championships....
I think you have to be somewhat careful to overlook at all other data and metrics because of team accomplishments.

Joe Montana wasn't a better player than Dan Marino, he just had a better situation around him.

I find it lazy to only focus on winning because so many of those factors are beyond the control of a player. If Aaron Rodgers were on the Patriots for the last decade, do you really think they win fewer Super Bowls?

Reactions: jdriscoll
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT