ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (You know I want to say it...)

As others have mentioned, Castaway is way too low.

Money Pit is a top 5 Hanks movie. It's a classic.

Road to Perdition and Catch me if you can are also classics that probably crack my top 10.

Reactions: blk240
or those who are patting themselves on the back like OP because they want to be the contrarian.
You think I want to be a contrarian? Like I go out of my way to do so?

I'd offer that wanting has nothing to do with it.
Not sure I am in on the Wow, Shaka won the tournament bandwagon.
We finish tied for 3rd in conference. Beat TT after making a comeback with questionable non calls and then a game winning call with 1.8 seconds left, you get a forfeit on the Kansas game then beat a tired OK State team who had a track meet the night before while we were able to rest and game plan. Texas beat the #5 and #6 team To win the conference tournament. I like our chances based on our draw and I like the team but you have 2 1st rounders possibly 3 as I think Sims is going to be the steal of the draft with the right coach, you have a senior point guard and two other upperclassman guards.
I see a good team playing well that may go far but I don’t see a well coached team Over performing.
Texas just had one of the top 5 regular seasons in its history and you're nitpicking it like Texas is Duke,

I've said this before, but Eddie Murphy's humor just does not keep up with the times. He may have been the funniest guy on the planet in the 80s and early 90s, but now it's cringeworthy.
It's hard to believe he had anything to do with this script.

Was sooooo happy for Shaka and I agree with you that the Andrew Jones story is one of the greatest UT stories we have (definitely on the Mt Rushmore).

No Captain Phillips or Philadelphia??
Both movies were in my next 5. Phillips was probably No.12.

I googled a couple top tens and was a bit surprised--the experts seem to agree with you. Can't help it though--I'm a big Darabont fan.
It feels like you just called me an expert. Even if that's not how you meant it, I'm going to taker it that way after Uncle Felix set me on fire. ;)

Reactions: rustynote
You are seriously underrating Castaway. The entire movie is Tom Hanks. It’s not ahead of Forrest Gump, but way ahead of Splash, You’ve Got Freaking Mail, and A League of Thier Own.
It almost made the list.

Think you're underestimating Tom Kite,,,,, he became the all time money earner at one point in his career,,,,how many professional golfers or any athlete can claim that accolade from any sport ?
Tom Kite went to my high school. He won a single major and had 19 tour wins.

Historically, he's not an all-time guy.

I am happy for Shaka Smart. This has been his best year coaching at Texas IMO. It helps that he finally has had both experience to work with and some decent luck with injuries. I like having an actual good guy as a coach at Texas. I miss Augie. A lot of people were very negative about the NIT Championship that this team won a couple of years ago but I think that the few fans that were there for those games could tell how important it was in their development. Shaka mentioned that last night that it was important for the players to see that their hard work could equal success. Derailed last year by injuries and finally by Covid I was ready to give up on Shaka at one point. Then they won 5 straight before getting steamrolled in the final game of the year At home. Then they made it to this year with a mostly healthy Andrew Jones and lots of experience and athleticism. And Brock Cunningham. When this team gets a solid defensive rhythm going they are truly fun to watch. Cunningham can change the entire tone of a game without making a dent in the stat sheet. I plan to enjoy whatever success this team has during the tournament. And I will root for them no matter what happens.

I was not a Forrest Gump fan originally. I got over it and can’t really argue with anything on your list. Tom Hanks is a hell of an actor but also comes across as a super nice guy. Hell I thought he was great in Cloud Atlas.
I think a deep tournament run this year will make people re-think the historical importance of the NIT win. It would potentially be remembered as an important table-setter. We're not there yet, but three wins in the Tournament might get us there.

Reactions: North1954
How does Road To Perdition not make your list ??? Really?
It's a tough Top 10 to crack.

I just looked Rolling Stone has is 22nd!

Of course, it has Sully in the top 5 and I think that's crazy.

Reactions: oldman62
Agree on Coming to America
I could not finish it

I’ll never forget winning a contest at a Movie theater while attending the Tom Hanks movie Bachelor Party. Funny movie but I won a years worth of free movies and popcorn.

so that movie bad or good is in my Top 10
Absolutely fair!

This is so spot on! Shaka is a great leader of young men and of POC coaches trying to get a start and develop. He cares for his players and they care for him. This team may have lapses but it is not because of effort or passion. The fact we have a team that some are picking as a final four or at least having the talent to make the final four is awesome. The way Coleman loves him, they way Sims developed and they way he handled A Jones tells me all I need to know. Love Coach Shaka.
Amen.

Ketch, you can’t help yourself can you.

2 stupid RomComs and a cartoon ahead of Philadelphia, The Green Mile, Bachelor Party, even The Burbs..... Orangefans readers shake their heads in unison
Two all-time great RomComs.

Make sure we get it right!

Reactions: FrancoBevo
people who have a strong sense of the game understand this and can see that while we are winning games, it’s not good basketball. Things came together for Shaka this year because of the roster being experienced. He deserves some credit for that. But the reality is it’s still bad basketball. We can’t execute in the half court and we can’t control tempo which are two of the most important things needed to win in the tourney.

posters, and mods for that matter, are acting like if we go two or three rounds deep, that proves Shaka is now suddenly a good coach when in reality nothing has changed. matt Coleman is playing out of his ass and saving this team from what it’s always been under Shaka.

shaka better hope we don’t get Michigan state in the second round. Something tells me Izzo will have a game plan and a way to make it a half court execution game which means we will struggle

I’ll still be rooting for us but it’s hard to stomach the bad lineups, the bad offense, the bad shot selection, the lack of execution, the lack of discipline, the selfish attitude of a few players, etc
You're right about one thing.

A deep run in the tournament doesn't change anything about Shaka. He was already damn good.

It's too bad you can't enjoy one of the best seasons on the hardwood this program has ever seen.

You thinking Texas isn't playing good basketball is horseshit, though.

• Love
Reactions: dattexboy
Let’s not get overly excited. I absolutely love that Shaka and the boys won the tournament. You can not downplay the fact that the road to the final game is the real story. A Kansas forfeit and the cowboy’s knocking off Baylor were as good as the job Shaka pulled off. With that being said...Shaka did a great job keeping Coleman and Jericho around for 4 years and Andrew Jones is one of the greatest stories in sports....I is my hope he continues to build in the future.
I remember Penders making it to the Sweet 16 one year because he got to play a 15th seed in the second round.

History only remembers the final outcome.... not the minute details.

Reactions: FrancoBevo
As others have mentioned, Castaway is way too low.

Money Pit is a top 5 Hanks movie. It's a classic.

Road to Perdition and Catch me if you can are also classics that probably crack my top 10.
The problem with a Hanks list is that only five movies can squeeze into the top 5. ;)

Reactions: blk240
The problem with a Hanks list is that only five movies can squeeze into the top 5. ;)

Agreed. He's made so many good movies, some even slipped my mind when thinking about it. Charlie Wilson's War is a great movie I've probably seen 4 or 5 times.

Agreed. He's made so many good movies, some even slipped my mind when thinking about it. Charlie Wilson's War is a great movie I've probably seen 4 or 5 times.
Nothing in Common is a low-key great movie that no one has mentioned!

lol, just glanced at his list...brutal

been on a Sam Mendes kick & just watched Perdition again last week...just a great gangster film & loved Hanks work
I love depression era gangster movies and this is one of the best

Shaka is a 2 time NIT powerhouse coach with nba lottery picks on his roster being paid as if he is Rick Pitino ...
This post season will define his coaching legacy at Texas. I hope he has a great run. But it has been meh so far.

ADVERTISEMENT