ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Headlines were made a little more than a week ago when Alabama and Clemson reportedly entered the national championship game last Monday night with a combined 5.5 million dollars invested in their infrastructure via football support staffing.

From the moment Nick Saban took over at Alabama, much has been made about the commitment he’s made to strengthen the foundation of his program at all costs, mostly in the name of a super staff that seems to throw money and any NCAA caution into the wind.

A glance at Saban’s support staff reveals that the Tide have employed the following:

* Head of Football Operations
* Associate Director of Football Operations
* Director of Player Personnel
* Assistant Director of Player Personnel,
* 2 Directors of Player Development
* 1 Player Development/Player Personnel staffer
* Recruiting Operations Coordinator
* Football Operations Coordinator
* Athletics Relations Coordinator
* 8 football analysts

Not including Saban’s actual coaching staff, strength and conditioning coaches, medical staff, academic support staff or anyone in the video department, the Tide have 23 different support staff members in place in its football offices.

You’d be tempted to suggest that Saban has gone slightly overboard in his quest to topple the college football world, but those four national titles in seven years and a roster loaded with more impact recruits than any school in the country seem to be screaming checkmate.

As it relates to Texas, the discussion of ramping up the program’s football support system has been a topic for almost a full decade, but it became a constant talking point the moment Mack Brown admitted that his program had a “mom and pop” approach to things. Although he was about five years late to the party, Brown started to address these issues right in the months leading up to his departure.

Enter Charlie Strong, a coach who is ironically also a graduate from the famed School of Mom and Pop, which has only exasperated the thirst within the Texas fan base to whip out the school’s overstuffed wallet and start proving that it is the Jones’ by matching Alabama dollar for dollar.

What if I told you an inspection of the Texas football support system shows that the rumors of its demise has been greatly exaggerated?

What if I told you that by my count, only three combined schools in the SEC/Big 12 have more football support staff members than Texas and none of the three include Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M or LSU?

It’s all true.

While the Longhorns trail Alabama (23), Missouri (20) and Florida (18), the 17 football support staff members that Texas currently employs compares very favorably with most of the heavyweights in college football.

Within the Big 12, the Longhorns lead the likes of TCU (13), Oklahoma (12), Baylor (9) and Texas Tech (5) in terms of football support by fairly sizable margins. Compared to the likes of Texas A&M (12), LSU (11), Ole Miss (11), South Carolina (11) and Auburn (10), the failures of the Longhorns pale by comparison.

Perhaps there are areas where Strong and Co. can still load up, but the program has a Director of Football Operations (Marcus Tubbs), Director of Football Administration (Clifford Snow), Director of Player Personnel (Mike Giglio), Assistant Director of Player Personnel (Justin Wright), Director of On-Campus Recruiting (Reed Case), four grad assistants and three special assistants to offense and defense.

When compared to Alabama, the most critical need is probably the lack of a Director of Player Development, which the Tide have three staffers committed to, along with a few more football analysts. Outside of those two areas, there’s surprisingly not much to nitpick Strong over.

If anything, the discussion around this area of the program shouldn’t be demanding more numbers, rather it should be focused on the results.

No. 2 – Scattershooting on this weekend’s monster recruiting weekend …

… It remains to be seen what the final haul will be for the Texas coaches from the group of the 19 (not counting Waco High’s Eric Cuffee) prospects that were on hand in UT’s biggest recruiting weekend of the year, but the early vibe seems to be that the weekend ranged from very good to great. I’d argue that the weekend went very well if the coaches were able to merely solidify their position with the players I believe they were already in great position with, which appears to have happened. To send this weekend to the moon, major moves with the likes of Deontay Anderson and Erick Fowler needed to take place, and I’m not sure that happened on the level that was needed to win in February. Still, you can see potential key returns all over the place coming out of the weekend.

… The commitment of Zack Shackelford won’t tilt the Rivals team rankings into UT’s favor in a major way, but it bolsters and diversifies the Texas offensive line class by giving it a prospect who can potentially emerge as a starting level player at any of the three interior spots, including center. More than anything, Shackelford just needs time to develop his frame and add overall strength, but this is a kid that has a chance to be a very solid player for the Longhorns over the course of the rest of the decade. I don’t know that I view him as an instant impact player, even if he plays at a position that needs immediate help, but he could be a starting-level player by the time Patrick Vahe and Connor Williams are entering prime seasons.

… You can feel very good tonight about linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch, who I view as an absolute critical component of this class. This is a kid with real star upside. This one is going the distance (National Signing Day), but his announcement should bring everyone a present while waiting for faxes to come in.

… Maybe the best sign that Marcel Southall had a great time on his visit this weekend is that he came out of his recruiting hiding hole and provided an update with Anwar Richardson following his visit to Texas this weekend. Hold on tight with him still planning to visit Miami and Ole Miss, but adding this four-star level talent to the cupboard would go a long way towards making the defensive tackle position a winning unit.

… Speaking of sweating out visits, as good of a time as Stephon Taylor had this weekend, trips to Florida State and South Carolina loom.

… Seeing Deontay Anderson tweet a happy birthday note to Ole Miss quarterback commit Shea Patterson just moments before he mentioned how good of a time he had in Austin over the weekend wasn’t the best sign of all-time for the Longhorns. In a world where I don’t believe in accidents, I’d call that a clue.

… As of tonight, here’s how Nostraketchus sees the Texas class finishing:

RB: Kyle Porter and Darius Anderson
WR: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
DT: Chris Daniels, Marcel Southall and Stephon Taylor
LB: Jeffrey McCulloch
DB: Eric Cuffee and Brandon Jones

No. 3 – Up and down we go, where we stop nobody knows …

At the risk of jinxing Shaka Smart, while also acknowledging that I’m ignoring the better part of Saturday’s second half against Oklahoma State, I’m going to make a statement that speaks on the current state of the Texas basketball program.

Man, it sure is nice to watch a basketball team get better in mid-January, instead of knowing that the beginning of the imploding end is underway.

A week ago, I was ready to put the Texas men’s basketball team into the NIT following a dreadful loss to TCU last Saturday that had left the Longhorns 1-2 in a brutally tough conference and a mere three games over .500 with the teeth of the Big 12 slate starring the team in the face.

Yet, there seems to be three things we’ve learned in the last few weeks.

a, There will be peaks.
b. There will be valleys.
c. Despite the loss of Cameron Ridley, this team is still getting better.

It’s easy to forget how low expectations were around the nation for this team going into one of the strongest Big 12 basketball years in the last decade, but guys like Kerwin Roach, Eric Davis, Tevin Mack and Shaq Cleare are still in the process of figuring out this whole major college basketball team, but as they do, their promise rises to the rafters.

With road games at West Virginia and Kansas looming this week, it’s important to acknowledge the valleys that will exist this season, but if this team can stay relatively healthy from here on out, I get the sense that it’s going to be a tough out in March, whether we’re talking Big 12 play, the Big 12 Tournament or anything that follows in the post-season.

No. 4 – 2,143 days and counting ...

In case anyone had their doubts, the path to a Big 12 women’s basketball title still goes through Kim Mulkey and her Baylor Bears.

If Karen Aston and her Longhorns didn’t know that before Sunday afternoon’s nationally televised showdown in Austin, they certainly do after a commanding 80-67 win for the Bears that gave both the Longhorns their first loss of the season and a lesson in championship quality basketball.

It was one thing not to have an answer for Alexis Jones, who was every bit the all-American on Sunday that she was advertised to be, but it’s another when you turn the ball over 21 times and commit 26 fouls.

More than a championship quality team, the Longhorns were stumbling and bumbling around in much of that game like a team playing with the pressure of knowing the last time the Longhorns beat the Bears, the Texas football team was less than two months from having played for a national championship against Alabama.

It’s just one game and it’s just a single loss, but the Longhorns are going to need to slay this Mulkey dragon before they can accomplish all of their goals … and Sunday wasn’t the day.

Not even close.

No. 5 – Buy or sell …

(As always, these are questions submitted by Orangebloods subscribers)

BUY or SELL: You feel better about this class today than you did on Friday?

(Sell) I think things are pretty much exactly where I thought they’d be. The Longhorns are in great shape with the guys I thought they’d be in great shape with and still have work to do with a few others. I might have answered with a buy of the initial clues in the recruitments of Erick Fowler and Deontay Anderson didn’t scream that Texas was still trailing.

BUY or SELL: Texas will have 2 true freshmen starters against Notre Dame?

(Sell) It’s not out of the realm of possibilities, but I’m going to lean towards no at this point. Other than Shane Buechele and Denzel Okafor, I’m not sure who is pushing for a possible starting spot that early.

BUY or SELL: Despite the loss of Duke Thomas and Hassan Ridgeway, Texas improves on defense next year?

(Buy) There are questions about the front four, and deservedly so, but I expect the likes Malik Jefferson, Holton Hill, Davante Davis, Kris Boyd, Anthony Wheeler, Deshon Elliott, PJ Locke and Breckyn Hager will take steps forward from what was seen in 2015. The back seven is going to be very talented and more experienced.

BUY or SELL: Zach Shackelford is starting at center by game 4 next season?

(Sell) Shackelford will have the benefit of a full off-season before his freshman season begins, but he’s a player that I view as needing two or three years of development before projecting as a starter. The numbers and dire need at the position could land him on the immediate two-deep, but I have to image that Texas will move parts around if needed to prevent Shackelford from having to start.

BUY or SELL: In recruiting, generally where mama wants the player to go means more than where dad wants?

(Buy) Yes, typically the golden rule of recruiting is to go with the mom, but moms aren’t undefeated like they seemingly used to be. The golden rule is more bronze than golden these days.

BUY or SELL: Texas signs two of the following DT's: Christmas-Giles, Taylor, Elliott, Daniels, Southall or Williams.

(Buy) Daniels, Taylor and Southall.

BUY or SELL: Without naming institutions, you believe that more than 5 well-known football schools (or their boosters) pay players illegal benefits...either money or other incentives?

(Buy) Easy money, my man, easy money.

BUY or SELL: Kai Locksley takes a snap as a QB this season (not counting trick plays)?

(Buy) Why the hell not? I’m starting to feel like I’m sleeping on him as a quarterback.

BUY or SELL: Texas finishes at least 5 spots ahead of Baylor in the final recruiting rankings?

(Sell) I think they’ll finish within five rankings spots of each other in the Rivals rankings. It’s going to be very close.

BUY or SELL: Patriots make the Super Bowl?

(Buy) I’m back on the Brady Express.

No. 6 – If Oklahoma’s David Boren was a movie scene...

It’ pretty clear which scene he’d be in discussing his position with the Big 12 and his relationship with Texas to the Tulsa World.

Among the comments made in the interview:

On Big 12 expansion: “I have been pushing, and I still am very strongly, that there’s the Big 12, which has only 10 members, and when you look at the big five conferences, we’re the one with only 10 members, we’re the one without a playoff, we’re the one without a conference network. And when you look at the long-range stability and the well-being of the conference, I think we’re disadvantaged by being the ‘little brother,’ so to speak, by being smaller. I think expansion is crucial.”

"I think that with expansion comes a very strong possibility and a need for a Big 12 Network — we’re leaving money on the table in terms of the interests of most of the members of the conference, and we can always find a transition distribution that will help Texas not be disadvantaged from their current setup as we transition from the Longhorn Network. But over the next 5-10 years, having a conference network is very important. Having 12 members is very important."

On the Longhorn Network: “Well, but as I said, there are ways to find a transition formula for revenue distribution and so on. It’s going to be so much of an advantage to other schools for that to be ended and for us to have a Big 12 Conference. I would say also, rumors are that it loses quite a bit of money every year for ESPN, so I don’t think they would be sad to see a change. And I think the other schools would see enough long-term advantage that they would be willing to keep it revenue- neutral for Texas, so that Texas would not be making a huge financial sacrifice under the right transition plan to get it done. I think it’s such a long-range advantage to everybody that we can have a transition plan that will work.”

No. 7 – Poor Aaron Rodgers ...

In each of the last two seasons, Aaron Rodgers has done almost everything a quarterback can do in leading an NFL team to a road victory, only to inexplicably end up in overtime in both games and never see the football once inside of extra time.

A year ago, Rodgers had Green Bay set to go to the second Super Bowl of his career, but the inability to recover an onside kick kept him away from a made-for-TV showdown with Tom Brady.

A year later, against a defense that embarrassed him just a few weeks ago and without a single receive of real consequence, Rodgers came through with a performance for the ages, twice in the final seconds making completed throws that almost defied all possibilities.

Yet, when it was over, the football gods had only trolled him into believing that any of it mattered by refusing him a chance to control his own fate. For a guy that has played the position as well as any player has ever played it, how frustrating must it be to stand on the sideline and watch failing players around you prevent you from obtaining the all-time great legacy that you desire?

As William Munny once told Little Bill in Unforgiven, deserve’s got nothing to do with any of this.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Scattershooting on the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs …

a. Let’s relive that Rodgers Hail Mary one more time, while acknowledging that it might have been the second best throw he made in that drive alone..

b. I underestimated how much New England has left in the tank after the end of the regular season. I always thought the Patriots would beat Kansas City, but I thought the Chiefs would overwhelm the Patriots offense and that just didn’t happen.

c. Why won’t someone buy Andy Reid a clock management book for Christmas?

d. Speaking of games I got wrong, I thought Seattle would bum-rush the Panthers and it went down exactly the other way. Never underestimate the value of that week off for teams in the Divisional rounds.

d. How good is this?

e. Man, the Steelers had a lot more fight in them this weekend than I imagined that team would with all of its injuries. Steelers fans should be proud.

f. There's a part of me rooting for the Broncos, so that Damarcus Ware gets a Super Bowl ring.

… I wish Deontay Wilder was more interesting to me than he is. Don’t get me wrong, I always find myself watching his fights, but I just haven’t been able to connect to him. It might be time to put him in one of those 24/7 reality shows.

… This week’s Steph Curry Ridiculous Moment of the Weekend

… Watch out, Warrors. The Spurs are coming.

.. Scattershooting on the EPL weekend.

a. If he can stay healthy for the next 16 games, Sergio Aguero will carry Man City to the championship. There are a lot of very, very good strikers in the EPL, but Aguero is on a different level.

b. I thought Harry Kane should have let Christian Eriksen take the penalty kick, needing a goal for his first career EPL hate trick. I thought it was selfish on Kane’s part.

c. John Terry was absolutely offsides.

d. Is it time to sell our Riyad Mahrez stock after watching him fail to notch a goal or assist in the last five EPL games? Leicester continues to score points on the table, but that was Aston Villa’s game to take and it just couldn’t snatch it. It’s hard not to feel like Leicester’s slide is starting, albeit very slowly.

e. Crystal Palace was exposed a little on Saturday at Etihad.

f. Man, Liverpool needs some dudes that can put the ball into the net. Everything was there in the team’s performance against Manchester United, well … everything except goals. Oh, and the ability to defend a set piece … again. It’s hard to win consistently when those two bugaboos never seem to go away.

No. 9 – 41 Days Until Oscar Night ...

This turned out to be a week when catching a movie just couldn’t happen, but with the Oscars nominations handed out this week, I thought I would offer my predictions on the big categories with six weeks to go.

(Note: This is my need-to-watch-list: 45 Years, Brooklyn, Carol, The Danish Girl, The Revenant and Trumbo)

Best Picture nominees: The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant, Room and Spotlight.

I would have included: Creed

My favorite: Spotlight

My prediction: It seems to be a battle between three movies - Spotlight, The Martian and The Revenant. Although I still need to The Revenant, my money six weeks out is on Spotlight.

Best Actor nominees: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant), Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs), Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl), Matt Damon (The Martian) and Bryan Cranston (Trumbo)

I would have included: Michael B. Jordan (Creed)

My favorite: Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs)

My prediction: When it’s all said and done, I think Leo finally gets his golden statue.

Best Actress nominees: Brie Larson (Room), Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn), Charlotte Rampling (45 Years), Cate Blanchett (Carol) and Jennifer Lawrence (Joy)

I would have included: Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

My favorite: Brie Larson

My prediction: At this point, it’s Larson in a runaway.

Best Supporting Actor nominees: Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies), Christian Bale (The Big Short), Sly Stallone (Creed), Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight) and Tom Hardy (The Revenant)

I would have included: Jacob Tremblay (Room)

My favorite: Mark Rylance

My prediction: This one feels completely wide open, but it might come down to a Rylance/Stallone battle. The body of work screams Eylance, but the momentum might be with Sly.

Best Supporting Actress nominees:
Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight), Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl), Kate Winslet (Steve Jobs), Rachel McAdams (Spotlight) and Rooney Mara (Carol)

I would have included: Joan Allen (Room)

My favorite: Jennifer Jason-Leigh

My prediction: Another fairly wide-open category, but I think Winslet is the betting favorite.

Best Director nominees: Lenny Abrahamson (Room), Tom McCarthy (Spotlight), George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road), Adam McKay (The Big Short) and Alejandro G. Inarritu (The Revenant)

I would have included: Ridley Scott (The Martian)

My favorite: Lenny Abrahamson

My prediction: It would seem to be either McCarthy or Inarritu, and I’ll go with Inarritu.

No.10 - And finally…

It's feeling like a potential music week and I'm leaning towards Kool and the Gang, but I'll take your nominations.

Last edited:
So you only think we close out with 9 more commits giving us 23

f. There's a part of me rooting for the Broncos, so that Damarcus Ware gets a Super Bowl ring.

This. This and this. I am so on board with this statement. I know DeMarcus... Great player but even better guy! My man deserves it. Unfortunately I don't think the Broncos have it in them... But I'm definitely rooting them on.

I could see that number growing, but not ready to project a guy like Mark Jackson yet.
Need a flip or two also. TCU DR or Fowler. Love both but need one. Would love the other Louisiana DT also. What about another LB Jackson and another DB to fill in if we lose ours to Stanford?

Thank you for the Shackelford reality. Reading today all of the "starting center" for next season stuff and I really wanted to bring reality, like I do ,but there was just too much euphoria. He is a longer term guy, one we needed, but 2018 is his year.

@Ketchum, I like your final prediction of recruits to sign with Texas. I'll take it. Hope they still land Fowler and Deontay Anderson.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Kool and the Gang would be good, seeing them at ACL Moody on January 29.

I always forget the rule for EE's...Do the early enrollees count toward the 25?
Your choice -- they count toward the 25 of the incoming or preceding year; as such, you always count them toward the previous year if that hasn't yet reached 25.

… As of tonight, here’s how Nostraketchus sees the Texas class finishing:

RB: Kyle Porter and Darius Anderson
WR: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
DT: Chris Daniels, Marcel Southall and Stephon Taylor
LB: Jeffrey McCulloch
DB: Eric Cuffee and Brandon Jones

Doing the math based on the Rivals scale, the above total up to around 900 points. That would give the program a total of 2222. That would've ranked #10 in 2014 and #14 in 2015.

Reactions: txcuernolargo
Is my math off or are you saying UT won't finish wth a full 25?

One of things we should all keep in mind is that in order for us to finish out with 25, it means that we have to close around 50% of the class in the final 2.5 weeks till signing day. That is not a common occurence. When you're this close to signing day, you typically have 75-80% of your class wrapped up. That includes Charlie's history as well. .So from that standpoint, Ketch's predictions make a lot of sense. Even 9 more is a higher than usual percentage.

Thanks for the Football Ops piece. Been clammering for that since Suddes left.

The big difference between Bama and Texas seems that they are heavy on development and analysis, and we are heavy on administration. That's a big deal.

It's funny to me that Mad Max is even sniffing an Oscar. I mean come on. Maybe for the CGI work, but that's not an Oscar worthy flick.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT