ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Go back to one of the best bands of the early 90's and one of the most obscure due to it was a tribute band...Mother Love Bone.

Thanks for the Football Ops piece. Been clammering for that since Suddes left.

The big difference between Bama and Texas seems that they are heavy on development and analysis, and we are heavy on administration. That's a big deal.

It's funny to me that Mad Max is even sniffing an Oscar. I mean come on. Maybe for the CGI work, but that's not an Oscar worthy flick.
a. I agree. Texas needs a development staff IMO and a couple of scouts/analysts.

b. Mad Max is seen as a revolutionary movie in the action realm, at least according to the critics. It dominated the Oscars nominations process and has been up for almost every major category.

Reactions: MATF and TexaStrong
@ Ketchum, unfortunately, your assessment of the women was spot on - this was the absolute worst I have seen them play all season. The fouls, poor/rushed shooting, poor passing, missed free throws, and blind referrering, all combined to do us in. Just a heartbreaker to have been so close all season - and yet, so far away. Not like this was a surprise game since they knew it was coming. We sucked in front of the biggest audience we've had all season. Sad. Thank you for the time you have given to the Lady Horns this season.
There was a moment late in the game when Texas had cut the lead to 8 and a call went against the Horns. Aston lost her mind, as she stomped all over the floor and kind of acted a fool. It was at that exact moment that I could see just how much pressure existed over this game.

The entire program needs to take a deep breath and just play the next time these two teams meet.

Watching that game live, Mulkey can be seen coaching her players immediately after being substituted for. Aston could be seen pouting on the sidelines and arguing with refs. Big difference.
One was coaching and the other wasn't.
Aston was toooooooo emotionally charged. Her team followed her lead.

Ketch, your review of Spotlight is the primary reason I went and saw it and I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion of just how great it is. I thought it was a shoo-in for Best Picture. And then I saw The Revenant and realized that Spotlight is merely the second best film of the year.
I will see The Revenant this week. I'm prepared for a game-changer.

In reference to number 1. If we have that many people on the support staff then those people need to be evaluated to see how good their performance is in doing their job. As you say, the player development division is lacking in results.
completely fair.

Reactions: TexaStrong
This year's haul is shaping up to be very similar and will again end up being the best in the Big-12 (even Ketchum is starting to see the writing on the wall now).
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I've had a top 15 class projected all year.

BUY or SELL: Without naming institutions, you believe that more than 5 well-known football schools (or their boosters) pay players illegal benefits...either money or other incentives?

(Buy) Easy money, my man, easy money.

Hard to believe some Longhorn fans still don't understand that providing cash incentives to key recruits is not usual for top programs. Even if the NCAA wanted to do so, cash gifts are practically impossible to trace, particularly when arranged by boosters through background channels.

It should also be noted that congratulating themselves for being squeaky clean provides a convenient morality excuse for UT bureaucrats who wish to dampen fan expectations and pressure.
Keep in mind that the NCAA has virtually zero investigators with experience working for it right now. It's open season for cheaters.

Reactions: TexaStrong
- I'm with you on Aaron Rodgers. The guy can't catch a break lately.
- Deontay Wilder is probably the best American heavyweight we have. He doesn't have Keith Thurman's personality, but 35 of his 36 wins are by knockout.
- Peyton vs. Brady talk all week long. It will be old by 4 p.m. on Monday
- Music week? How about Meek Mill responding to Drake six months later and taking a shot at 50 Cent, who is killing Weak Mill on Instagram. Meek's only victory is Nicki's refusal to dump him
a. Us Rodgers homers are frustrated.
b. I need Wilder to have a true enemy/rival.
c. It was old by Sunday.
d. Meek Mill just needs to worry about trying to rebrand his music because who wants to buy his stuff right now He needs to make Disney rap.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I've had a top 15 class projected all year.
Wasn't there a point in time where you were pretty negative on the prospects for this class finishing up well? If I'm not mistaken, you indicated that at best we were looking at a top 25 finish or so. At this point it sounds like top 10 to 15 is fairly likely.

Wasn't there a point in time where you were pretty negative on the prospects for this class finishing up well? If I'm not mistaken, you indicated that at best we were looking at a top 25 finish or so. At this point it sounds like top 10 to 15 is fairly likely.
I've always had Texas pegged for a top 15 class. Always.

There was a moment late in the game when Texas had cut the lead to 8 and a call went against the Horns. Aston lost her mind, as she stomped all over the floor and kind of acted a fool. It was at that exact moment that I could see just how much pressure existed over this game.

The entire program needs to take a deep breath and just play the next time these two teams meet.

In all fairness to Aston that was an absolutely HORRIBLE call and so I can empathize with her frustration. But I agree the girls just looked too uptight and missed a lot of shots they have made all year long. They will be fine but they need to get some confidence when it comes to playing Baylor before the Big 12 tourney because that is going to be a competitive tournament and most likely they will meet Baylor again. But knocks against Aston and saying she "wasn't coaching" like Mulkey are not fair to her. Mulkey has had PLENTY of times she has thrown fits and pouted and got pissed off. Karen is an incredible coach and the girls love her. It was good to see that when they got down by more than 20 points they didn't just lay down and give up though.

Soafter all the angst over Texas being a mom and pop operation with no staff support, it turns out that was a ruse. Nice.

Seems like a lot of details were paid attention to in making this weekend a huge success with one of the largest groups of recruits ever.

Just saying. Maybe some of the criticism of CS and the program has been a little over the top.

As of tonight, here’s how Nostraketchus sees the Texas class finishing:

RB: Kyle Porter and Darius Anderson
WR: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
DT: Chris Daniels, Marcel Southall and Stephon Taylor
LB: Jeffrey McCulloch
DB: Eric Cuffee and Brandon Jones

Where are the elite pass rushers, either on this list, the 2016 commit list or on our roster now? Sure, someone like Fitzgerald or Southall could develope into one down the road (2018), but who's going to rush the passer next year? Keeping in mind the importance of next year for Charlie.

The back 7 can improve all they want, but without edge pressure or someone to collapse the pocket they will get beat after about 5 seconds.

Reactions: danhorn
Keep in mind that the NCAA has virtually zero investigators with experience working for it right now. It's open season for cheaters.

This is one of the most important statements typed on this board the whole recruiting cycle. One, I'm not sure many are aware of this. Two, it is the most dramatic influence on recruiting trends today. It's no accident when you see mediocre programs like Miss and Tenn. cleaning up in recruiting. If you notice, Vandy doesn't seem to come out of nowhere with top ten classes.

I've always had Texas pegged for a top 15 class. Always.

Not really. I recall a number of times you said 15-20, which I would categorize as a top 20 class, not a top 15 class which would indicate 10-15.

Reactions: MATF
Hey @Ketchum you didn't mention Eboh as someone we lose in your Nostraketchus section. Does that mean you think we hold onto him?

OK, my mistake on that one.
no worries.

For the record, it's almost impossible for Texas to finish outside the Top 25 in recruiting if it plans to take 20-25 kids.

It's all about the math as it relates to the team rankings. Texas only needs a handful of 4-stars and fill out the rest with three stars and history shows they'll creep up on that No.15 spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT