ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

@ Ketchum, unfortunately, your assessment of the women was spot on - this was the absolute worst I have seen them play all season. The fouls, poor/rushed shooting, poor passing, missed free throws, and blind referrering, all combined to do us in. Just a heartbreaker to have been so close all season - and yet, so far away. Not like this was a surprise game since they knew it was coming. We sucked in front of the biggest audience we've had all season. Sad. Thank you for the time you have given to the Lady Horns this season.

Last edited:
"What if I told you that by my count, only three combined schools in the SEC/Big 12 have more football support staff members than Texas and none of the three include Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M or LSU?"

Now that's depressing. I thought we might at least catch up by throwing more money at it. The above says we're trying, but we're hopelessly incompetent.

Last edited:
Reactions: stuxnet
Boren throws the first strike at UT. Most project launches lose money the first couple of years. now that LHN is on most distribution channels, and if LHN really tries to assert itself with aggressive content, it might be profitable in coming years. So, his remark about LHN losses is, to me, the first strike toward UT and the reasoning for its possible departure..

Why is everyone so caught up on the Boren speech? ESPN is losing money by the handful, does anyone actually believe they are going to be handing out big checks for a new network right now? Eyes seem firmly lodged on the past whereas LHN is likely sustainable in the post ESPN era.

BUY or SELL: Without naming institutions, you believe that more than 5 well-known football schools (or their boosters) pay players illegal benefits...either money or other incentives?

(Buy) Easy money, my man, easy money.

Would buy to read an investigative article on this subject.

It’s just one game and it’s just a single loss, but the Longhorns are going to need to slay this Mulkey dragon before they can accomplish all of their goals … and Sunday wasn’t the day.

Watching that game live, Mulkey can be seen coaching her players immediately after being substituted for. Aston could be seen pouting on the sidelines and arguing with refs. Big difference.
One was coaching and the other wasn't.

As William Munny once told Little Bill in The Unforgiven, deserve’s got nothing to do with any of this.

1. The title of Eastwood's masterpiece is "Unforgiven." No the in it.

2. The quote is "deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Reactions: orlan_55
Ketch, your review of Spotlight is the primary reason I went and saw it and I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion of just how great it is. I thought it was a shoo-in for Best Picture. And then I saw The Revenant and realized that Spotlight is merely the second best film of the year.

In reference to number 1. If we have that many people on the support staff then those people need to be evaluated to see how good their performance is in doing their job. As you say, the player development division is lacking in results.

Thanks for the Football Ops piece. Been clammering for that since Suddes left.

The big difference between Bama and Texas seems that they are heavy on development and analysis, and we are heavy on administration. That's a big deal.

It's funny to me that Mad Max is even sniffing an Oscar. I mean come on. Maybe for the CGI work, but that's not an Oscar worthy flick.
I just about choked on my coffee reading Mad Max being an Oscar contender. Are the Oscar people serious? Unbelievable. Must be some sort of promo for international sales or dvd sales or, heck I can't think of a reason why this pos movie is up for this award. I don't even know why this bothers me as I could'nt give 2 shites over the Oscars.

"What if I told you that by my count, only three combined schools in the SEC/Big 12 have more football support staff members than Texas and none of the three include Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M or LSU?"

Now that's depressing. I thought we might at least catch up by throwing more money at it. The above says we're trying, but we're hopelessly incompetent.

We're definitely not getting our money's worth.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno

This would only make sense if Texas were struggling with recruiting and developing players over the last couple of years. The numbers say that Texas might have brought in an Alabama type haul last year with 3 freshman All-Americans and numerous recruits who will probably be All-Conference and All-American players in the future. This year's haul is shaping up to be very similar and will again end up being the best in the Big-12 (even Ketchum is starting to see the writing on the wall now). If you are saying that those types of results indicate incompetency in the recruiting and development of players, then you might just be a little clueless about college football.

BUY or SELL: Without naming institutions, you believe that more than 5 well-known football schools (or their boosters) pay players illegal benefits...either money or other incentives?

(Buy) Easy money, my man, easy money.

Hard to believe some Longhorn fans still don't understand that providing cash incentives to key recruits is not usual for top programs. Even if the NCAA wanted to do so, cash gifts are practically impossible to trace, particularly when arranged by boosters through background channels.

It should also be noted that congratulating themselves for being squeaky clean provides a convenient morality excuse for UT bureaucrats who wish to dampen fan expectations and pressure.

- I'm with you on Aaron Rodgers. The guy can't catch a break lately.
- Deontay Wilder is probably the best American heavyweight we have. He doesn't have Keith Thurman's personality, but 35 of his 36 wins are by knockout.
- Peyton vs. Brady talk all week long. It will be old by 4 p.m. on Monday
- Music week? How about Meek Mill responding to Drake six months later and taking a shot at 50 Cent, who is killing Weak Mill on Instagram. Meek's only victory is Nicki's refusal to dump him

No.10 - And finally…

It's feeling like a potential music week and I'm leaning towards Kool and the Gang, but I'll take your nominations.

John Williams and his movie scores.

Thank you for the Shackelford reality. Reading today all of the "starting center" for next season stuff and I really wanted to bring reality, like I do ,but there was just too much euphoria. He is a longer term guy, one we needed, but 2018 is his year.
Just look at his shoulders. Nothing wrong with needing a few years to develop as a big man.

Just look at his shoulders. Nothing wrong with needing a few years to develop as a big man.
Not at all. We need these type of guys and, at some point, the luxury of redshirting them. A nice pipeline of redshirted developing OL that assume starting roles as shirted juniors would be perfect. Raulerson was one of those types but we know the story. Excited about Shack and starting that pipeline along with other that will need a bit of time, Buck Major and Rodriguez. Cuney as well but he may have to play more than he is ready for, ala Taylor Doyle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT