ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

It was a game the Cowboys tried to five away.

It was a game the Cowboys refused to let get away from them.
giphy.gif

And the $8.5 more million the rest of the staff is owed. If, by contrast, Fenves gives Charlie and his entire staff (GULP) 1 more year before they got canned, I think the total buyout number goes from roughly $18.5 million to roughly $7 million.
The problem with retaining Charlie is that you have to extend his deal another couple years or he'll be a lame duck coach and won't be able to recruit even a 3 star this year. Then the cost of firing him goes back up. We have to really feel like the program is moving in the right direction. That's why he has to go 8-4. Otherwise we need to go get Herman and be done with it.

Reactions: tamarahorn
Is Devin Duvernay to Sterlin what DJ Monroe was to Davis/Harsin/Applewhite?

1. I didn't notice any dirty play, at least not more than normal. It's not like Ahmad Dixon was back there.
Was it Brandon Jones who got a foul for pushing a guy who stood up and wouldn't let go of his leg on a return? Maybe I was making this up in my head but it felt like Baylor was was chippy, pushing up off players etc.
2. I don't think the refs do, either.
I didn't think Boyd's hit was penalty at all. Targeting is supposed to be used for defenseless receivers and QB's standing in the pocket, not running backs which is what Russell was after that 10 yard run.
3. Yup, for one play.
4. Yup, after every play thereafter.
5. Feels like that ship has somewhat sailed. It's now week nine.
Just think how sweet it will be when we go for two in the Pinstripe Bowl and Swoopes does the fake run, Teebow jump pass to a wide open TE because we've been setting it up for 12 games.
6. Because the defense isn't that good.
7. what sticks out?
The two blatant holding no calls on Baylor's final drive.
8. I've been banging that pot since 2015 but we are where we are.

Luck's career numbers are nothing like Romo's. I've seen Romo take average players and make them better. I'm not sure those other two have ever really done that.
Not saying their stats are comparable. What I am saying is we've seen how impossible it can be to find solid QB play in the NFL. 2012 Romo, 2014 Stafford and 2016 Luck are all QB's that teams like the Browns or Bears would kill to have. Underappreciated. And I think at least in 2012 Romo's case and probably in Luck's case, putting some talented O-Lineman in front of them is probably easier and more prudent that looking for a better QB.

I did kind of minimize the win because I felt it somewhat deserved it. It was not a cleanly, well-played game.
I don't think it was well played, coached, or officiated.
But it was still a win over a top 10, undefeated team. Give me a sloppy win over a pristine loss every day of the week. Are you the guy who bitches about his par because he sprayed his tee shot in the rough, bladed his iron, chunked his chip but snaked in a 25 foot putt?

Again, I'm not saying this win changes Strong's dire job security. But isn't it worth being a little happy about?

I think he's a good dude, but not someone who deserves or needs to be put on anyone's shoulders over such things.

I would think he's a good guy to have over at a BBQ. I think the core values things is something we should all strive to be better at, and that includes Charlie.

Reactions: sclonghornfan
Well stated @Ketchum

As DKR would say, "we're as average as everyday's wash". Nothing I have seen in the last 5 years indicates we are on the cusp of 10+ win seasons again. It could happen in a semi-miraculous way, like in 1990, but that team was senior led and beat a fairly weak schedule (outside of UH and A&M) and won some really close games.

Gilbert is a very competent OC. We had forgotten what that looked like.
Just because Mack made it look easy, doesn't mean it isn't hard.

This program needs consistency in the coaching staff. I don't know where it was ever determined that a coach should only get three years to recruit, train, and win to stay in his job and Texas is not an exception. We have a coach who has great character, has shown he can recruit the players, and i believe that he will definitely win in another year.

In three years as head coach, there is nothing to suggest that he is turning or will turn the ship.

Reactions: Holy Cow
"You can make a case that Anthony Wheeler’s forced fumble as Baylor was going in for a two-score lead early in the fourth quarter was a job-saver for Charlie Strong. That’s the second straight week Wheeler has forced a fumble to keep his team in the game. Who knows? Maybe he’ll keep his starting job …"

Pretty sure it was Boyette who popped the ball out on this one.

No mention of the multiple incidents of white-on-white crime committed by Seth Russell on Haines?
a. Stat sheet gave it to Wheeler. I thought it was him as well.

b. I spoke of that the night before. Didn't want to pile on.

Well, I would yield to someone with a better view than me, and its tough to judge DBs on TV. It just seems to me that since they were inserted in the lineup, we have seen fewer busts in coverage for easy deep throws, that the coverage generally has been better, and that they have brought a much more physical presence to the position than we were seeing.
True enough.

However, KSU didn't want to throw, and oddly, neither did Baylor.

We'll know more this week.

Reactions: Elliot Carlin
I don't think it was well played, coached, or officiated.
But it was still a win over a top 10, undefeated team. Give me a sloppy win over a pristine loss every day of the week. Are you the guy who bitches about his par because he sprayed his tee shot in the rough, bladed his iron, chunked his chip but snaked in a 25 foot putt?

Again, I'm not saying this win changes Strong's dire job security. But isn't it worth being a little happy about?
That Baylor team might be 8-4 on a cupcake schedule when we look at it at the end of the season.

The Notre Dame win doesn't mean as much as it did at the time, either.

Reactions: PBakerTX
What you're not saying here is speaking volumes. Sounds like a conversation best had over a beer. Let me know when you're in Iowa. I'm buying and you can fill me in on the deets!
deal!

are you related to Suchomel?;)

1. No one thought Baylor was good before they played them. All of us said as much in the podcast. This was a watered down team.

2. Strong is an average head coach. I think Herman can at least be average.

3. Most of the people on this board understand counting and how to apply it to game management.

1. Not many on this board, including the mods, are saying anything that might be remotely construed as positive about Strong, because they get crushed by the same 50 posters who dominate every conversation like that. Sorry, your podcast isn't the same as a national vote on teams, both before and after the Texas win. Baylor is a team with a bunch of elite players. The QB is a senior who had Heisman backers. Cannon is a high draft pick, Linwood and Williams are excellent RBs. Their DBs were highly rated nationally coming into the year and during the season.

2. Strong is above average, I would certainly agree he is not elite at this point. If Strong did what Herman has done this season, people would be storming the streets. If Strong loses to Kansas, or had lost to ISU, that would be the SMU loss. Navy was an ugly loss as well, not just the loss, but the lousy play all around in that game. UCF and Tulsa were barely wins. And Herman has much better talent than all those schools, enough talent to beat OU.

3. That's a meaningless comment. Picking out one issue among a thousand that it takes to run a program is not responsive to the point.

Clearly a typo that my proofer didn't catch and now I'm going to have to read an entire thread of f'ing Tim Herman comments.

Thanks, Suchomel.
Ketch, I imagine you at your press conference announcing a change at proofreader:

"I'm going to take over the proofreading duties from Suchomel. Suchomel will still remain on staff and coach the other writers, but he's not going to proofread my '10 thoughts from the weekend' from now on. I know this, we got to get better. We gotta fix it. We're going to fix it. We are very close to having a typo free column. If you look at it, it's all about fundamentals and proofreading." :D

Last edited:
True enough.

However, KSU didn't want to throw, and oddly, neither did Baylor.

We'll know more this week.
Yep...passing team on the road...all of this team's bug-a-boos rolled into one.

1. Not many on this board, including the mods, are saying anything that might be remotely construed as positive about Strong, because they get crushed by the same 50 posters who dominate every conversation like that. Sorry, your podcast isn't the same as a national vote on teams, both before and after the Texas win. Baylor is a team with a bunch of elite players. The QB is a senior who had Heisman backers. Cannon is a high draft pick, Linwood and Williams are excellent RBs. Their DBs were highly rated nationally coming into the year and during the season.

2. Strong is above average, I would certainly agree he is not elite at this point. If Strong did what Herman has done this season, people would be storming the streets. If Strong loses to Kansas, or had lost to ISU, that would be the SMU loss. Navy was an ugly loss as well, not just the loss, but the lousy play all around in that game. UCF and Tulsa were barely wins. And Herman has much better talent than all those schools, enough talent to beat OU.

3. That's a meaningless comment. Picking out one issue among a thousand that it takes to run a program is not responsive to the point.
we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
Ketch, I imagine you at your press conference announcing a change at proofreader:

"I'm going to take over the proofreading duties from Suchomel. Suchomel will still remain on staff and coach the other writers, but he's not going to proofread my '10 thoughts from the weekend' from now on. I know this, we got to get better. We gotta fix it. We're going to fix it. We are very close to being a typo free column. It's all about fundamentals and proofreading" :D
Hahaha. I can't blame anyone. I typed all day without my glasses yesterday. He probably corrected 500.

Reactions: trophies2
It's funny that everyone used to laugh at Mack's streak because he took pride in it.

Or maybe tragically ironic.
Oh, there is no doubt is tragic.
I have lived and been a VERY interested fan through the last years of DKR, Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Brown, and Strong.
Anyone who tells me Texas should "always be good" or "consistently winning championships" is someone who is either completely unaware of reality, or completely unrealistic.
Brown was freaking amazing! We got spoiled and unrealistic, just like what happened to DKR.
Change for the sake of change rarely ends well.
I will have some historical numbers for you soon.

Reactions: StudRunner1
Took me awhile to get through all the posts. We did beat Baylor didn't we?? I am not going to speculate about CS potential for keeping his job and I am just happy for him and his Team showing enough grit to win the game. A very nice win over a VERY potent offense. Hook'em!!

Good luck against TTU.

PS to Team - I hope you do not read some of the very negative knuckleheads that post.

Reactions: StudRunner1
You want me to be like an Aggie mod, it seems.
You were like that when you had your say about Ole Miss and the 85% quotes....All I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt to be positive some times....but hey, it's your show...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT