ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend

Ketch I'm in the same place as you for soccer. I've decided(yesterday) that mario balotelli is my guy. Reminds me of myself and I wouldn't mind following ac Milan because I've heard of them before.

Ketch,

Chelsea FC is your team, without a doubt. As a Cowboys fan you may find this comparison tough to swallow, but I consider Chelsea to be the 49ers of the English Premiere League. Tons of talent, great history, about to make another run, great coach, fiery coach, great city. Here's my Top 10 reasons why you should begin supporting Chelsea:

10. They're based in the poshest part of London - you'll gain massive street cred from your hipster friends for this fact alone. Note: Don't even consider a team not based in, or around, London since every other town in England not named London is kind of like Cleveland. This includes Manchester and Liverpool. I speak from 7 years of recent experience.
9. Their owner is a Russian "Jerry Jones", but this guy is a gazillionaire and has probably killed people - or has ordered people killed - in the past - this ticks the box in your "everybody hates him/them" requirement.
8. They play in the EPL (English Premiere League) which is - by far - the most entertaining, competitive and richest league in the world. Top to bottom it can't be touched.
7. THEY SPEAK ENGLISH!! Very important fact that's often overlooked when selecting a team to follow. This is why a soccer virgin like yourself should waste time with any Spanish, German or Italian clubs. Just watch the Ronaldo and Messi highlights on YouTube every weekend like everyone else does.
6. They're on the cusp of another golden era of success - everything's in place for a 5+ year run of success. Ticks the "front runner" box for you.
5. They're loaded with talent! Seriously, few teams anywhere on the planet can match their talent. Ketch, this is a team that goes 3 deep at every position. Heck, they're so deep they have to loan out a handful of players to other teams every season so they can crack the starting line-up elsewhere and gain the needed experience.
4. Some of the best players in world play (or will play next season) for Chelsea and you can start watching them now during the World Cup. Here are a few names to start watching: Costa (Spain), Oscar (Brazil), Hazard (Belgium), Courtois (Belgium), Cahill (England)... By the way, each of those mentioned will keep you very entertained. In fact, I'd suggest that you consider Eden Hazard as your favourite player to follow candidate. He's probably 22 years old; an amazing talent up front, and a real pain in the ass. Note: In terms of favourite player cred, it's hard to argue against Ronaldo (Real Madrid / Portugal).
3. You'll probably be able to watch a live Chelsea match every weekend on your TV in Austin. If you're going to follow a team then watching them play consistently is critical. I'm sure that either Fox or NBCsports will feature a Chelsea match every weekend.
2. They're not Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Aresnal or Tottenham... Ketch, if you select Chelsea as your team, then prepare to duck from the crowd on this board that follows each of the previous teams listed before. Fans of every other EPL club HATE Chelsea with a venom that you can't imagine - it's kind of like an Eagles fan's hate for the Cowboys. Ketch, trust me when I tell you that following those other EPL teams listed previously will leave you wanting in a big way. Again, speaking from experience here.
1. Jose eff'in Mourinho. Ketch, this is your guy. He's the evil genius that - again - everyone whose club isn't managed by him loves to hate because he's simply the best and he's so damn cool. This is a coach that, if he was coaching the Heat, would bench King James if Lebron found his way into his dog house and Then he'd look forward to the press conference just to ignore media questions about how he could possibly bench King James. He's Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Jim Harbaugh and Bill Walsh all rolled up into one coach. Brilliant!

Final point, to prove my point about why you should choose Chelsea over other EPL teams, just watch all of the hate from other fans that will follow this post. The Liverpool and Arsenal fans will be the worst.

Welcome to the party!

Hook'em!

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think style of play from Liverpool is more entertaining than Chelsea but hookemuk made a good case.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I hate soccer but HookemUK did a bad ass job of trying to convince me to pick that team. Loved the comparisons.

Sorry A&M's recruiting was doing well before Allen or Murray chose A&M. I'd take Heard over either but Murray is close. I think the recruiting momentum has more to do with the SEC and the type offense A&M is running than anything else.

The thing I don't understand is the struggle that strong is having with the defensive recruits. I expected the struggle on offense.

I hope Heard comes in and takes the job from Ash.

A QB could make a difference, honestly the play on the field this year is going to make the biggest difference of all when it comes to recruiting. The cupboard at Texas is full of what Rivals thought were 'difference' makers once upon a time. We'll find out to what extent Coach Strong can get them reengaged or if too much time has passed and it's just too little too late for theses guys.

We won't have to wait long either with BYU, UCLA, BU and OU before the middle of October. There will be buzz among the recruits, hopefully it will be good buzz.

Still looking for his Pied Piper? Hardly, unless you have some reason to belief Heard or Gentry aren't going to become Coach Strong's next Bridgewater. And, of course, you don't. You can do better, Ketch, even in a time of slow football news. Hook 'Em.

And another thought for all the naysayers on this Board regarding 2015 recruiting. Presently, Ohio State and Urban Meyer stand #42 in the Class of 15 with 6, that's right, 6 commits. Iowa is ranked ahead of them along with Wisconsin and several other Big 10 Schools including PSU and Franklin. Does anybody, and I mean anybody, think Urban Meyer won't blow those turkeys away in the end? It's E A R L Y girls, and unlike Mr. February, aka Mack the Mild, Strong isn't settling for mediocre recruits just to make all you cry babies happy with recruiting "momentum". Hook 'Em!

If you saw Messi's goal yesterday and yawned, you just don't appreciate sports and athletics. Just incredible feet.

Originally posted by Jeff J Black:
Disagree with you on GOT. Obviously on several fronts they are setting up next season.
What do we disagree on?

Andreas Pirlo from Italy. World class player and field general. Doesn't receive all the media hype that Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar receive and isn't as flashy, but he is just good as hell.

The US plays today so hopefully you will be willing to follow your own country through this thing. If we win today we have a very good chance making it out of our group. Players to watch today are Mark Bradley, Clint Dempsey (Texas native), and Josey Altidore.

As far as club teams go, I would suggest you start following Manchester United, but we are in a bit of a transition right now after the greatest coach in the history of sports retired and his replacement was fired in less than a year on the job. So you may want to follow a club that is more together at this point so you don't lose interest. Just don't follow Chelsea or Liverpool. Their fans are insufferable.

Originally posted by Hybrid Horn:

g. If Ygritte comes back as a white-walker, I'm not sure what I'll think or say, but Jon Snow's ass better run.

Can't happen, he burned her body.
Yeah, because the unthinkable occurring in GOT never happens.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HookemUK:
Ketch,

Chelsea FC is your team, without a doubt. As a Cowboys fan you may find this comparison tough to swallow, but I consider Chelsea to be the 49ers of the English Premiere League. Tons of talent, great history, about to make another run, great coach, fiery coach, great city. Here's my Top 10 reasons why you should begin supporting Chelsea:

10. They're based in the poshest part of London - you'll gain massive street cred from your hipster friends for this fact alone. Note: Don't even consider a team not based in, or around, London since every other town in England not named London is kind of like Cleveland. This includes Manchester and Liverpool. I speak from 7 years of recent experience.
9. Their owner is a Russian "Jerry Jones", but this guy is a gazillionaire and has probably killed people - or has ordered people killed - in the past - this ticks the box in your "everybody hates him/them" requirement.
8. They play in the EPL (English Premiere League) which is - by far - the most entertaining, competitive and richest league in the world. Top to bottom it can't be touched.
7. THEY SPEAK ENGLISH!! Very important fact that's often overlooked when selecting a team to follow. This is why a soccer virgin like yourself should waste time with any Spanish, German or Italian clubs. Just watch the Ronaldo and Messi highlights on YouTube every weekend like everyone else does.
6. They're on the cusp of another golden era of success - everything's in place for a 5+ year run of success. Ticks the "front runner" box for you.
5. They're loaded with talent! Seriously, few teams anywhere on the planet can match their talent. Ketch, this is a team that goes 3 deep at every position. Heck, they're so deep they have to loan out a handful of players to other teams every season so they can crack the starting line-up elsewhere and gain the needed experience.
4. Some of the best players in world play (or will play next season) for Chelsea and you can start watching them now during the World Cup. Here are a few names to start watching: Costa (Spain), Oscar (Brazil), Hazard (Belgium), Courtois (Belgium), Cahill (England)... By the way, each of those mentioned will keep you very entertained. In fact, I'd suggest that you consider Eden Hazard as your favourite player to follow candidate. He's probably 22 years old; an amazing talent up front, and a real pain in the ass. Note: In terms of favourite player cred, it's hard to argue against Ronaldo (Real Madrid / Portugal).
3. You'll probably be able to watch a live Chelsea match every weekend on your TV in Austin. If you're going to follow a team then watching them play consistently is critical. I'm sure that either Fox or NBCsports will feature a Chelsea match every weekend.
2. They're not Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Aresnal or Tottenham... Ketch, if you select Chelsea as your team, then prepare to duck from the crowd on this board that follows each of the previous teams listed before. Fans of every other EPL club HATE Chelsea with a venom that you can't imagine - it's kind of like an Eagles fan's hate for the Cowboys. Ketch, trust me when I tell you that following those other EPL teams listed previously will leave you wanting in a big way. Again, speaking from experience here.
1. Jose eff'in Mourinho. Ketch, this is your guy. He's the evil genius that - again - everyone whose club isn't managed by him loves to hate because he's simply the best and he's so damn cool. This is a coach that, if he was coaching the Heat, would bench King James if Lebron found his way into his dog house and Then he'd look forward to the press conference just to ignore media questions about how he could possibly bench King James. He's Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Jim Harbaugh and Bill Walsh all rolled up into one coach. Brilliant!

Final point, to prove my point about why you should choose Chelsea over other EPL teams, just watch all of the hate from other fans that will follow this post. The Liverpool and Arsenal fans will be the worst.

Welcome to the party!

Hook'em!
A lot of these reasons are similar to other teams as well.

10. Six of 20 teams are in London, some years that number is higher.
9. True. Not sure anyone 'hates' him more than any of the other oil sheik money guys.
8. As are 19 other teams including Liverpool, manure, Citeh, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton...
7. See # 8
6. See anybody's team, save manu. Liverpool back in the mix(above Chelski this year).
5. See #6
4. See #4, Liverpool started five players on the English squad Saturda, has players playing on France(Sahko), Ivory Coast(Toure), Nigeria(Moses), Uruguay(Coates, and everyone's favorite Suarez)
3. You WILL be able to watch every Liverpool game live. Same goes for every EPL team.
2. Chelsea has no real, traditional rival. In addition, everyone hates everyone. No one likes Liverpool, Arsenal, manu. Chelsea is no different, except they don't have the huge rival lke Liverpool-manu, Arsenal-Tottenam, Liverpool-Everton, manu- Citeh.
1. Clearly no one likes Mourinho. He'll be gone soon anyway. Already been there one year, two more max. Has never spent more than three years anywhere.

Chelsea has some merit to begin following, but let's not go overboard.

Originally posted by Ebeatty3753:

Ketch you need to do a Bobby Brown list in the future.
I'll have to include his New Edition years. That could be fun.

Originally posted by jgarcia972:
Root for greatness. That man is leo Messi. The best player in the world. You wont ever see him flop which is key. Plays for Barcelona one of the big dogs in club soccer. Also neymar could be a guy to watch plays for brazil is a bit of a young punk and also plays for Barcelona.
After he left this little kid hanging yesterday, I'll give him at least a glance.

070a45a0-f4f7-11e3-b339-cd58673b7ffd_messikid.jpg

Originally posted by pied:
Liverpool.

Luis Suarez.

YNWA
This. Suarez was on a tear in the Premier league this year. He's got attitude and talent. He's the guy you love to hate if you are the other team. And Liverpool is fun to root for because they aren't the top team year in and year out, but they always challenge and pull off upsets. Plus, they have the best team and fan songs ;-)

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:
Sorry A&M's recruiting was doing well before Allen or Murray chose A&M. I'd take Heard over either but Murray is close. I think the recruiting momentum has more to do with the SEC and the type offense A&M is running than anything else.

The thing I don't understand is the struggle that strong is having with the defensive recruits. I expected the struggle on offense.

The Ags are still riding the glow of Manziel's Heisman, just as Mack did on Ricky's. Being in the SEC won't be that attractive unless A&M shows its more than a perennial middle-of-division program.

Texas needs to take care of its business, and its brand will take care of the rest. Right now Charlie Strong and Texas fans are having to pay the price for Dodds and Powers allowing their personal relationship with Mack Brown to override the glaring need to have replaced him earlier.

I'll either make my case for Liverpool or against them.

Suarez was accused of diving by the Everton coach, so after scoring this was his celebration right in front of the Everton coach/bench.

1351432060377.gif

In the quarers of the last world cup, they were abbout to be scored on, so he did the only thing he could and reached out to stop the ball. Uruguay stopped the PK and went onto the semis. Fans of his, will tell you he is uber-competitive, others call him a disgrace and a cheat(although he is not the first guy to use his hands).

39492806.jpg

Speaking of being a bit over competive, if you get past him, he may bite you.

suarez_bite.jpg

Liverpool extends WAYYYY past any of the current players including the great, but aging Captain fantastic Steven Gerrard. I don't think you'll get much disagreement for the passionate support of their fans and the greatest section in the EPL, the Kop.

The-Kop.jpg

Originally posted by HookemUK:
Ketch,

Welcome to the party!

Hook'em!
Jessie-Driving-Away-Breaking-Bad-Finale.gif

a. Yes, they were doing well. Those two really put them over the top and per the words of several top recruits last week in Baltimore, the prospect of playing with those two is more enticing at this point than playing with Heard, despite the fact you prefer Heard.

b. I agree with you on the defensive prospects point. I thought they would have had more going for them by now.

Karim Benzema - France, Real Madrid

First hat-trick (according to FIFA rules the second goal should be credited to him). The French team has a lot of young talent and fun to watch.

Allez les Bleus!!

Really enjoyed the responses to this post thus far.

I typically watch EPL and follow Tottenham - started following when Dempsey played there and they stuck.

HookemUK gives you a great argument to follow Chelsea going forward.

The Messi vote is hard to top. He is the best player of his generation, plays for a loaded FC Barcelona team that is fun to watch and Argentina is flat out stacked this year.

If you are looking for a mercurial villain go with Balotelli and Italy. His is a great story, he is a total manchild on the field and plays Italian Serie A AC Milan, one of the most storied and successful European teams.

Van Persie for the Netherlands is also a great choice. He plays for Manchester United and is a flat out stud. Hard to beat this goal from last week

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/video/1878442?&ex_cid=espnapi_affiliate_Google_World_Cup_Video
[/URL]
Lastly, stay away from Suarez. The guy is jerk, has a history of dirty play and racism...

This post was edited on 6/16 9:23 AM by HERSH95

Ketch let me mention one other thing. One of the coolest moment in sports happens right before every Liverpool game.

Go to the 4 minute mark

http://youtu.be/5iLL57puZPM
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard "cool kids" in the same sentence with soccer.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

a. Yes, they were doing well. Those two really put them over the top and per the words of several top recruits last week in Baltimore, the prospect of playing with those two is more enticing at this point than playing with Heard, despite the fact you prefer Heard.

b. I agree with you on the defensive prospects point. I thought they would have had more going for them by now.
I thought they said they would rather play with Allen/Murray than Ash.. Those recruits are crazy if they don't want to play with Heard based on what he's done in high school.

Originally posted by orangeblood_01:

Originally posted by pied:
Liverpool.

Luis Suarez.

YNWA
This. Suarez was on a tear in the Premier league this year. He's got attitude and talent. He's the guy you love to hate if you are the other team. And Liverpool is fun to root for because they aren't the top team year in and year out, but they always challenge and pull off upsets. Plus, they have the best team and fan songs ;-)
If all else fails, let Buzzfeed decide for you.

Sorry, link didn't come through on my iphone. Trying again...
This post was edited on 6/16 10:52 AM by orangeblood_01

It's Liverpool

Ketch, whatever happened to the recruiting bump you're supposed to get from a new coach? Isn't the excitement and chance to bring Texas back now that there's a hot new coach around usually an enticement for recruits?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by djblan:
Ketch, whatever happened to the recruiting bump you're supposed to get from a new coach? Isn't the excitement and chance to bring Texas back now that there's a hot new coach around usually an enticement for recruits?

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I think that lack of star power in the hire plus being in a bad conference going against the SEC is the problem (I think Strong is a great coach but isn't a big name hire like a Harbaugh or Saban).

I would say the pied piper would have to be Heard. There was plenty of buzz when he committed.
Still doesn't explain the defense but maybe it's too early yet.

No question the LOB stat doomed the Horns on sat.

The Spurs are without a doubt the best NBA team on the planet. congrats to them

Cannot watch soccer. I'll stick with baseball until football kicks off in the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT