ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend

Originally posted by FrancoBevo:
A QB could make a difference, honestly the play on the field this year is going to make the biggest difference of all when it comes to recruiting. The cupboard at Texas is full of what Rivals thought were 'difference' makers once upon a time. We'll find out to what extent Coach Strong can get them reengaged or if too much time has passed and it's just too little too late for theses guys.

We won't have to wait long either with BYU, UCLA, BU and OU before the middle of October. There will be buzz among the recruits, hopefully it will be good buzz.
The early schedule is not new coach friendly.

Originally posted by stevedankof:
Still looking for his Pied Piper? Hardly, unless you have some reason to belief Heard or Gentry aren't going to become Coach Strong's next Bridgewater. And, of course, you don't. You can do better, Ketch, even in a time of slow football news. Hook 'Em.
The Pied Piper moves the needle. For whatever reasons, Heard and Gentry aren't moving the needle for this team's recruiting efforts.

And another thought for all the naysayers on this Board regarding 2015 recruiting. Presently, Ohio State and Urban Meyer stand #42 in the Class of 15 with 6, that's right, 6 commits. Iowa is ranked ahead of them along with Wisconsin and several other Big 10 Schools including PSU and Franklin. Does anybody, and I mean anybody, think Urban Meyer won't blow those turkeys away in the end? It's E A R L Y girls, and unlike Mr. February, aka Mack the Mild, Strong isn't settling for mediocre recruits just to make all you cry babies happy with recruiting "momentum". Hook 'Em!
Out of curiosity, what do you thin the 2014 record will be? Any big wins?

Originally posted by orangeblood_01:

Originally posted by pied:
Liverpool.

Luis Suarez.

YNWA
This. Suarez was on a tear in the Premier league this year. He's got attitude and talent. He's the guy you love to hate if you are the other team. And Liverpool is fun to root for because they aren't the top team year in and year out, but they always challenge and pull off upsets. Plus, they have the best team and fan songs ;-)
I need a list of fan songs.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by HookemUK:
Ketch,

Chelsea FC is your team, without a doubt. As a Cowboys fan you may find this comparison tough to swallow, but I consider Chelsea to be the 49ers of the English Premiere League. Tons of talent, great history, about to make another run, great coach, fiery coach, great city. Here's my Top 10 reasons why you should begin supporting Chelsea:
ec
I'm not sure how to read this gif response.

Originally posted by Craben:

The Ags are still riding the glow of Manziel's Heisman, just as Mack did on Ricky's. Being in the SEC won't be that attractive unless A&M shows its more than a perennial middle-of-division program.
They are getting extra pop, much extra pop, with their new quarterback commits. It's a factor.

Originally posted by orangeblood_01:

Liverpool.

Luis Suarez.

YNWA
This. Suarez was on a tear in the Premier league this year. He's got attitude and talent. He's the guy you love to hate if you are the other team. And Liverpool is fun to root for because they aren't the top team year in and year out, but they always challenge and pull off upsets. Plus, they have the best team and fan songs ;-)
I need a list of fan songs.
Link to a list of songs, but what they're known for is You'll Never Walk Alone(YNWA). Lot's of history, but best exemplified in 2005 in Istanbul at the Champions League Final(biggest club game of the year) They were down 3-0 at half when the fans broke into the song to let the team know they were behind them. They came back, tied it up and won on penalties.

YNWA

I'll either make my case for Liverpool or against them.

Suarez was accused of diving by the Everton coach, so after scoring this was his celebration right in front of the Everton coach/bench.

ec

In the quarers of the last world cup, they were abbout to be scored on, so he did the only thing he could and reached out to stop the ball. Uruguay stopped the PK and went onto the semis. Fans of his, will tell you he is uber-competitive, others call him a disgrace and a cheat(although he is not the first guy to use his hands).

ec

Speaking of being a bit over competive, if you get past him, he may bite you.

ec

Liverpool extends WAYYYY past any of the current players including the great, but aging Captain fantastic Steven Gerrard. I don't think you'll get much disagreement for the passionate support of their fans and the greatest section in the EPL, the Kop.

ec
You're winning me over.

Originally posted by HERSH95:

Lastly, stay away from Suarez. The guy is jerk, has a history of dirty play and racism...
say what?

Lastly, stay away from Suarez. The guy is jerk, has a history of dirty play and racism...
say what?
Both guys talking trash across three different languages. (Suarez - Spanish from Uruguay, Evra - French from France, playing in England). Suarez admits to using a word that has different context in Uruguay and was suspended for eight games. Suarez denied using these words in the context outlined.

In contrast, Chelsea golden boy John Terry admitted to racially abusing a Queens Park Ranger player(and fellow England teammate's brother), was brought up on real charges, but was suspended only four games.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:
I thought they said they would rather play with Allen/Murray than Ash.. Those recruits are crazy if they don't want to play with Heard based on what he's done in high school.
They might be crazy, but that's the reality. Receivers aren't buying Heard as a guy to get excited about until they see him throw and have success.

say what?
Both guys talking trash across three different languages. (Suarez - Spanish from Uruguay, Evra - French from France, playing in England). Suarez admits to using a word that has different context in Uruguay and was suspended for eight games. Suarez denied using these words in the context outlined.

In contrast, Chelsea golden boy John Terry admitted to racially abusing a Queens Park Ranger player(and fellow England teammate's brother), was brought up on real charges, but was suspended only four games.
Good summary. My wife's family is from Uruguay and I can tell you that the word he used (negro - with the Spanish accent no the US southern accent) is what is still used in Uruguay in general conversation no matter what race is involved. It's accepted in their culture and not considered racist. Of course, intent means everything in a situation like this so I'm not defending Suarez, just giving some additional context to the situation as I have experienced it personally.

Originally posted by djblan:
Ketch, whatever happened to the recruiting bump you're supposed to get from a new coach? Isn't the excitement and chance to bring Texas back now that there's a hot new coach around usually an enticement for recruits?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
There's been less bump than expected thus far.

It should also be noted that Suarez was on his best behavior this year and terrorized the league. He was among the best players in the world this past season.

No question about is behavior this year and how good of a player he is

In my mind its all about when his next screw up occurs..

Originally posted by djblan:
Ketch, whatever happened to the recruiting bump you're supposed to get from a new coach? Isn't the excitement and chance to bring Texas back now that there's a hot new coach around usually an enticement for recruits?

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I think that lack of star power in the hire plus being in a bad conference going against the SEC is the problem (I think Strong is a great coach but isn't a big name hire like a Harbaugh or Saban).
You can thank Mack Brown's vanity and Bill Powers' unfamiliarity with recruiting for the lack of a big name. Mack convinced Powers that hiring Saban would blacken the idealistic image of UT football.

A QB could make a difference, honestly the play on the field this year is going to make the biggest difference of all when it comes to recruiting. The cupboard at Texas is full of what Rivals thought were 'difference' makers once upon a time. We'll find out to what extent Coach Strong can get them reengaged or if too much time has passed and it's just too little too late for theses guys.

We won't have to wait long either with BYU, UCLA, BU and OU before the middle of October. There will be buzz among the recruits, hopefully it will be good buzz.
Count me as one of those who think Heard will make a big difference. I am also hoping David Ash can remain healthy for the first half of the season, at a minimum.

Originally posted by 40acrefanatic:
Ketch I know you as a fan of Vernon maxwell crazy. But Vernon maxwell aspires to be Luis Suarez crazy
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I'll be watching this dude closely. I'm more than intrigued.

Originally posted by 40acrefanatic:
Ketch I know you as a fan of Vernon maxwell crazy. But Vernon maxwell aspires to be Luis Suarez crazy

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I'll be watching this dude closely. I'm more than intrigued.
Just put his name in the search bar on youtube and have fun.

Do you think Texas should take the Art Briles/ Baylor approach for now and schedule weak OOC teams to boost the record and get some momentum?

Given the lack of talent on campus - and I base that on the referendum that was the just completed NFL Draft and the fact we haven't had an OL drafted since 2008, I'm expecting 8-4. Anything better will remove any doubt that Coach Strong is doing just that: coaching strong. As for "big wins", the only games on our lousy schedule that could be so categorized would be BYU, UCLA, Baylor, the Okies, KSU and Okie Light. I think we'll win at least two of these and perhaps three with some good old smash mouth football.

By the by: until Texas gets itself into a real football conference, any "buzz" in recruiting will be strictly the result of overachieving on the field. Coach Strong is targeting a much better class of player than Mack was able to attract for the past several years. And better players have more options and opportunity, and thus take longer to make their decisions, especially whether to play in the "Big XII" as opposed to the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 or ACC. Coach Strong will get his share and we'll be fine, if not this year, next.

And for one second, does anybody think this team won't be better under Coach Strong than under Mack had Powers had his way? If you do, good luck with your career in food service....

Hook 'EM!

You can thank Mack Brown's vanity and Bill Powers' unfamiliarity with recruiting for the lack of a big name. Mack convinced Powers that hiring Saban would blacken the idealistic image of UT football.
To be fair, Mack did what most men in his position would do, but it doesn't make it less unseemly.

Do you think Texas should take the Art Briles/ Baylor approach for now and schedule weak OOC teams to boost the record and get some momentum?
You mean play an eight-game schedule on near $100 ticket prices? I hate that.

Given the lack of talent on campus - and I base that on the referendum that was the just completed NFL Draft and the fact we haven't had an OL drafted since 2008, I'm expecting 8-4. Anything better will remove any doubt that Coach Strong is doing just that: coaching strong. As for "big wins", the only games on our lousy schedule that could be so categorized would be BYU, UCLA, Baylor, the Okies, KSU and Okie Light. I think we'll win at least two of these and perhaps three with some good old smash mouth football.

By the by: until Texas gets itself into a real football conference, any "buzz" in recruiting will be strictly the result of overachieving on the field. Coach Strong is targeting a much better class of player than Mack was able to attract for the past several years. And better players have more options and opportunity, and thus take longer to make their decisions, especially whether to play in the "Big XII" as opposed to the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 or ACC. Coach Strong will get his share and we'll be fine, if not this year, next.

And for one second, does anybody think this team won't be better under Coach Strong than under Mack had Powers had his way? If you do, good luck with your career in food service....

Hook 'EM!
Mostly on the same page, but I believe the climate Strong walks into is fairly tricky. Fascinating season coming up.

3. BYU: Junior Taysom Hill
Is this the white boy with two knee braces who ran thru us like a hot knife thru butter last year?

To be fair, Mack did what most men in his position would do, but it doesn't make it less unseemly.
So Ketch, you are saying that when the chips were down...Mack was just another guy. It was about Mack and his facade about caring about UT was just for show. I guess that is his legacy; Paid him 5mil + but he really didn't care about UT Football, just Mack Brown.

A man with any class wouldn't have done what Mack Brown did. He was a titty baby who had to be dragged out. Should have been fired much earlier, but the people with power at UT either didn't care or were clueless. And ofcourse he had his buddies protecting him.

Originally posted by Big Ed Bookman:
3. BYU: Junior Taysom Hill
Is this the white boy with two knee braces who ran thru us like a hot knife thru butter last year?
th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT