ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend

Originally posted by OleBraach:

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Craben:
You can thank Mack Brown's vanity and Bill Powers' unfamiliarity with recruiting for the lack of a big name. Mack convinced Powers that hiring Saban would blacken the idealistic image of UT football.
To be fair, Mack did what most men in his position would do, but it doesn't make it less unseemly.
So Ketch, you are saying that when the chips were down...Mack was just another guy. It was about Mack and his facade about caring about UT was just for show. I guess that is his legacy; Paid him 5mil + but he really didn't care about UT Football, just Mack Brown.
Paterno went kicking and screaming. Bowden did as well. Hell, almost all men not named DKR seem to respond the same way in that position. Self-awareness is never a given.

Not sure if you're still open for conversion for pro soccer teams but let me throw out my favorite club and why.

Reasons to cheer for the Arsenal (English Premier League-EPL), in no particular order:
1. Their fans are proudly(and ironically) called 'Gooners" that has a Philly pheel to it
2. They have qualified for the Champions league beginning in 2005-present, meaning they have placed in the top 4 of the EPL for the past 9 years. Hard to do.
3. They do not "buy" their teams in the same way as Chelsea and Manchester City. European/Champions league clubs are obligated to follow the football financial fair play regulations--many clubs, such as Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St-Germaine, and others (especially those run by billionaires) choose to ignore the rules and circumvent the system. Arsenal follows the rules and have structured their team to succeed under the regulations.
4. The Chelsea poster compared them to the 49ers and I would compare Arsenal to the Spurs. They have an old school coach who follows the system, prefers international players, they have unselfish stars (Mesut Ozil, Aaron Ramsey, and Theo Walcott).
5. They got dudes named Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, and Yaya Sanogo, c'mon
6. Their best team went undefeated in the EPL, 49 straight, and are called the "Invincibles"
7. Their international players play for England, France and Germany.
Germans: Mesut Ozil, Luckas Podolski, Per Mertesacker
French: Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny
English: Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott (injured), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin
The players above are currently involved in the World Cup but they have more international players.
8. They are consistently on a favorable times in America because of their popularity--don't have to order special cable channels or wake up ridiculously early to watch.
9. The Austin Gooners have a standing watch party in the "attic" of the Tavern.
10. They play a pretty, aggressive brand of soccer and do not "park the bus" and play counter-attack football that most Americans find distasteful. They lose some games this way but they always play to score and attack.
Links to some of their best goals this year:
Arsenal is the team in red:
http://youtu.be/8ZNFxLO4fEc
http://youtu.be/Qk8WOmh26E8
*apologize for not directly linking--not sure how to do multiple links.

^^^ strong argument but I would disagree with 2 points

1. With nbc sports coverage of the EPL you can see every game so the argument they are on tv a lot doesn't weigh a lot.

2. I have a bunch of friends who are arsenal supporters and they cite the playing style as something very pleasing to Americans not distasteful.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thomas Muller/Germany/Bayern Munich is a solid choice, but it is easier to catch the Premier League and Spanish League games.

Di Maria/Argentina/Real Madrid is a total darkhorse but hell of a player who plays for a couple of frontrunners.

Holland has a great team and I think they will contend with Germany and Brazil.

I started to get into soccer a few years ago but didn't know who to root for...then I used this and chose Tottenham. You have to pick an EPL team by the way, since you can easily watch all the games.

As for a player, all I can say is Gareth Bale is so much fun to watch. It sure is a shame that Wales will never make a World Cup.

If you want a country to root for this World Cup in addition to the US, look no further than the Bosnia Dragons because of this.

I had no problem with the result of the fight. I thought he won round two and one every round or split the rounds from there on out. The Russian might have one the last round or two but I was not surprised with the outcome. I thought Algieri fought a hell of a fight. Gave a great interview after the fight too. Thank God he doesn't have his Dad brushing his hair.

Also liked Andre Ward announcing.
This post was edited on 6/17 2:22 AM by Salty Mule

Originally posted by Salty Mule:
I had no problem with the result of the fight. I thought he won round two and one every round or split the rounds from there on out. The Russian might have one the last round or two but I was not surprised with the outcome. I thought Algieri fought a hell of a fight. Gave a great interview after the fight too. Thank God he doesn't have his Dad brushing his hair.

Yeah, that fight could have one either way. First time I've ever seen that dude fight. H'e s like a taller Paulie M.

Ketch, watch the Belgium v Algeria game today and keep your eye on EDEN HAZARD. He is easily the most exciting player to watch in the premiere league (argument can be made for luis suarez) and he will probably be one of the most exciting players to watch this world cup.
I would say that Eden Hazard is the ALLEN IVERSON of world soccer. He has the fastest first step in the world, can stop and turn on a dime, never gets dispossessed because his balls skills are world class, and can get off any shot he wants to from any where on the pitch.

Originally posted by HooK_D:
Ketch, watch the Belgium v Algeria game today and keep your eye on EDEN HAZARD. He is easily the most exciting player to watch in the premiere league (argument can be made for luis suarez) and he will probably be one of the most exciting players to watch this world cup.
I would say that Eden Hazard is the ALLEN IVERSON of world soccer. He has the fastest first step in the world, can stop and turn on a dime, never gets dispossessed because his balls skills are world class, and can get off any shot he wants to from any where on the pitch.
Watching right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by pied:
Liverpool.

Luis Suarez.

YNWA
Suarez wants to leave Liverpool. He may say he's happy right now, but with Real coming in and saying they are going to bid for him, he's done.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Salty Mule:

Yeah, that fight could have one either way. First time I've ever seen that dude fight. H'e s like a taller Paulie M.
My English skills are really weak at 2:22AM .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT