ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Yes. I believe Baylor AND TCU are better than Bama. The days of just great defenses winning titles is gone. You need a great OFFENSE and a serviceable D. Baylor has just that. Bama doesn't have the offense to play with Baylor or TCU.
Agree...Alabama will have trouble with these spread offenses. SEC has problems with spread offenses. And, 'gulp", A&M will beat 'bama

Max Scherzer is all kinds of awesome and that performance on Saturday night was the definition of an all-timer, as he struck out nine of his last 10 batters and set a record with strikeouts in a no-hitter with 17. How in the hell did Washington not make the playoffs with this dude and Bryce Harper playing for it?

it takes a lot more than two players to win over a 162 game season

I couldn't get past the first couple of paragraphs.

The challenge was pretty monumental....yeah, it's awful to have the opportunity to be the head coach at Texas. It's hard to recruit. No talent on campus

What the hell do you think Briles. Sumlin, and Patrerson faced. Forgive me if I don't buy into the notion that this was such a tough situation.

And pleas don't tell me Mack left the program void of talent. That's just not true.

They may not be elite and they may not be capable of competing for championships but they damn sure are talented enough to be competitive.

I disagree Ketch---MB is gone--we still gonna be talking about him next year and the year after?? That's like saying it's Macks doing if Charlie had a great year! Oh, yea, it's Macks fault only if the year is a bust.....

Agree...Alabama will have trouble with these spread offenses. SEC has problems with spread offenses. And, 'gulp", A&M will beat 'bama
Hey, A&M might beat Bama this year, but what was the score last year when Bama played that high-flying spread offense?

it takes a lot more than two players to win over a 162 game season
What other teams with an MVP and a top 5 Cy Young candidate miss the playoffs? Don't have the time to look it up, but I'm guessing it does not happened often.

I disagree Ketch---MB is gone--we still gonna be talking about him next year and the year after?? That's like saying it's Macks doing if Charlie had a great year! Oh, yea, it's Macks fault only if the year is a bust.....
???????????????/

You disagree with what?

I read a lot of " Strong just needs to let the freshman play and get experience so we're better next year" one week, and he does just that. Then all I read is "Strongs out of his league, he doesn't know what he's doing, and he needs to be fired" the next week. I guess I don't understand. I'm so disillusioned by the season maybe I imagine the contridictions of the board. It's almost damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I will say giving up 5 to 600 yards a game on defense will make winning any game a pretty long row to hoe. Didn't we fire Diaz for allowing that once? Shit, now I'm calling for someone's job. I fit in here. I REALLY FIT IN HERE!!!!

I read a lot of " Strong just needs to let the freshman play and get experience so we're better next year" one week, and he does just that. Then all I read is "Strongs out of his league, he doesn't know what he's doing, and he needs to be fired" the next week. I guess I don't understand. I'm so disillusioned by the season maybe I imagine the contridictions of the board. It's almost damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I will say giving up 5 to 600 yards a game on defense will make winning any game a pretty long row to hoe. Didn't we fire Diaz for allowing that once? Shit, now I'm calling for someone's job. I fit in here. I REALLY FIT IN HERE!!!!
welcome, you crazy sonofagun!

Speaking of soccer...I am the 59th greatest in the WORLD picking winners....How 'bout you Ketch?

It's like you ignored the whole second paragraph you cited.

Mentioning "Mack's Browns sins" and then saying those days are over, is still a backhanded way of saying it's Mack's fault.

If you really want to be fair, don't mention Mack.

That won't happen though, because I'm sure the rest of this season you will make excuses for Strong, based on "Mack's sins." Sometimes love can be blinding.

If Strong is such a great judge of talent and he recognized he would inherit a squad that lacks talent, then he shouldn't have taken the job.

Mentioning "Mack's Browns sins" and then saying those days are over, is still a backhanded way of saying it's Mack's fault.

If you really want to be fair, don't mention Mack.

That won't happen though, because I'm sure the rest of this season you will make excuses for Strong, based on "Mack's sins." Sometimes love can be blinding.

If Strong is such a great judge of talent and he recognized he would inherit a squad that lacks talent, then he shouldn't have taken the job.
"The job is the job and whatever the score was in January of 2014 no longer matters. What matters is what is happening now, which means the days of bringing up Mack Brown’s sins as the head football coach in the last half-decade on the job are over."

That's the quote and the highlighted part is the moral of the text.

a. Let's not live in Pretend Land where we just ignore the impact of Mack's work for the previous half-decade didn't create a disaster of a rebuilding situation for any mere mortal.

b. Charlie is 22 months into this rebuild. It's time to stop mentioning Mack because his decision-making is his own worst enemy.

c. He completely underestimated the situation he was walking into.

"The job is the job and whatever the score was in January of 2014 no longer matters. What matters is what is happening now, which means the days of bringing up Mack Brown’s sins as the head football coach in the last half-decade on the job are over."

That's the quote and the highlighted part is the moral of the text.

a. Let's not live in Pretend Land where we just ignore the impact of Mack's work for the previous half-decade didn't create a disaster of a rebuilding situation for any mere mortal.

b. Charlie is 22 months into this rebuild. It's time to stop mentioning Mack because his decision-making is his own worst enemy.

c. He completely underestimated the situation he was walking into.

a. Pretend land is great. Let's pretend that Texas didn't have the following ranked classes in recruiting (according to 247 sports - easier to find and probably pretty close to your Rivals rankings):

2011 - # 4 class (TCU = 29)
2012 - # 2 class (TCU = 29)
2013 - # 17 class (TCU = 35)
2014 - # 16 class (TCU = 45)
2015 - # 9 class (TCU = 42)

What a terrible mess Mack left Charlie. Average # 9.6 rated class in NCAA (TCU = average 36 best class)

What disaster are you referring to?

What kind of excuse does Charlie have to lose by 43 points to a squad with inferior talent? Come on man.

Are you pretending not to know?

I'm not pretending. Maybe I missed something. If those were the rankings, then how is this possible?

I'm no mathematician, but the numbers don't seem to add up. It does seem like TCU is doing much more with less.

Was Royal 7-11 after 1.5 years? DKR went 6-4-1, 7-3, 9-2, and he inherited just as big a mess as Charlie did. Think we're going to have a winning record this year? Next? Don't see it.
DKR analogies fail. Different college football landscape entirely.

I'm not pretending. Maybe I missed something. If those were the rankings, then how is this possible?

I'm no mathematician, but the numbers don't seem to add up. It does seem like TCU is doing much more with less.
I guess you missed the part where Mack left the cupboard bare in certain key positions, like not bringing in any O Linemen in his last two seasons. Mack sucked at recruiting the lines in general, so the team was already typically thin there. The biggest problem we have right now is no serviceable O Linemen. We should have a two deep of Juniors and Seniors on that line right now but that's where Mack dropped the ball big time. D line also not enough recruits in the Mack era. Class rankings in recruiting are based on the star reviews of the players who sign with a school, not how well a coach recruited across the variety of key positions. Hope that clears it up

Do you think the coaching staff told Duke Thomas to not catch any punts but to let them all bounce another 20-25 yards? Bravo on the special teams work all the way around! They make the offense and defense look good! Good job coaching them up!

I guess you missed the part where Mack left the cupboard bare in certain key positions, like not bringing in any O Linemen in his last two seasons. Mack sucked at recruiting the lines in general, so the team was already typically thin there. The biggest problem we have right now is no serviceable O Linemen. We should have a two deep of Juniors and Seniors on that line right now but that's where Mack dropped the ball big time. D line also not enough recruits in the Mack era. Class rankings in recruiting are based on the star reviews of the players who sign with a school, not how well a coach recruited across the variety of key positions. Hope that clears it up

Maybe so. Here's what I didn't miss GF:

2011 - Cochran 4 star, Doyle 3, Flowers 4, Greenlea 4, Hutchins 3, Jackson 4, Russell 4, Reed 4
2012 - Boyette 4, Brown 5, Estelle 4, Hawkins 4, Hughes 4, Moore 3, Norman 3, Riser 4, Blueitt 3, Cottrell 3, Ridgeway 4, Davis (recruited as LB) 4
2013 - Hammed 4, Harrison 3, James 4, Perkins 4, Raulerson 4 ***(class of only 15)
2014 - Anderson 3, Cuney 3, Ford 3, McMillon 3, Nelson 3, Roberson 4, Rodriguez 3

Please clear this up: That's 32 lineman. Average rating for all OL/DL recruits is 3.625

Empty cupboard? Spend the time comparing this to TCU and see if it's even close.

Come on guys. You're better than that. And Texas football should be too.

**edit -> So I just checked TCU. They have a total of 29 lineman recruited from 2011-2014 classes, at a much lower rating average. Do you see them making any excuses? No. They flat out stomped us with less talent and less lineman. And they're ranked 4th in the nation.

Do you hear that? I just dropped the mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrushCountryHorn
No one I know felt that way.

We ALL wondered how he would recruit in Texas with all those OOS coaches. Then he keeps Chambers and lets Wyatt go? Brings Watson? Dismisses kids that he might have saved?

Then he insults a whole gathering of HS coaches. (Don't even attempt to refute this because I personally talked with coaches that were present). That alone assured his failure. What kind of idiot insults Texas HS coaches?

While CS may or may not be intelligent, he is not good at making decisions.

How did he insult all of these Texas HS coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT