ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL Playoff Argument Thread- Who's in and Why

What is this committee seeing that were not?
I posted the bios of the committee. It's a who's who of Texas haters. It's a Big 10 east coast cabal with a sprinkling of the h8ful 8. We aren't getting in unless they absolutely have to put us in.

As I said before, this will be the death of OOC scheduling. No one will schedule difficult competition anymore. It will be all about beating cupcakes 100-0.

Reactions: weevilcatch
We’ll move up with any loss among the top 4. If we beat OSU and are Big 12 champs, CFP committee will generally give deference to the conference champs since it gives us another victory over a ranked opponent. Ohio St regular season is finished so there’s no more opportunities for them to improve their resume. Assuming we win Saturday and one of the top 4 lose, we’ll jump OSU and in the CFP.
Not necessarily. If Georgia, Michigan, FSU all win and Oregon beats Washington, it's doubtful that Texas would jump an Oregon Team that is already 2 spots ahead of them and just beat the #3 ranked Team, plus that would give Bama 2 losses. UT's best bet to get into the CFP is for UGA, Michigan and Washington to all win and FSU to lose. Yes, there are a variety of scenarios that can occur, but to me that is the easiest and most obvious path.

Reactions: diadevic
Not necessarily. If Georgia, Michigan, FSU all win and Oregon beats Washington, it's doubtful that Texas would jump an Oregon Team that is already 2 spots ahead of them and just beat the #3 ranked Team, plus that would give Bama 2 losses. UT's best bet to get into the CFP is for UGA, Michigan and Washington to all win and FSU to lose. Yes, there are a variety of scenarios that can occur, but to me that is the easiest and most obvious path.
If this scenario occurs then the committee has to decide which conference champion should be left out. I believe the final CFP rankings after this weekend will be starting anew. In other words, the current top 4 teams are reset and re-ranked by the committee. Interviews with the committee members yesterday indicated they have no set criteria except to find the best 4 teams. Each individual member uses their own independent analysis. If that’s true then Texas has to get in over Oregon based on strength of schedule and the fact we’ve defeated the most ranked opponents. Then there’s the issue of common opponents which would hurt Oregon since they nearly lost to a TT team we crushed by 50.

Bottom line is we need to focus on winning the Big12 and winning convincingly.

If this scenario occurs then the committee has to decide which conference champion should be left out. I believe the final CFP rankings after this weekend will be starting anew. In other words, the current top 4 teams are reset and re-ranked by the committee. Interviews with the committee members yesterday indicated they have no set criteria except to find the best 4 teams. Each individual member uses their own independent analysis. If that’s true then Texas has to get in over Oregon based on strength of schedule and the fact we’ve defeated the most ranked opponents. Then there’s the issue of common opponents which would hurt Oregon since they nearly lost to a TT team we crushed by 50.

Bottom line is we need to focus on winning the Big12 and winning convincingly.
Sorry, I just disagree. If the committee thought UT was better than Oregon, they would already have them ahead of them. UT beating Oklahoma State does not in my opinion all of a sudden make the committee think that UT is better than Oregon (if Oregon beats Washington). Also, everyone knows that playing in Lubbock at night (especially for the first time) is much different than playing a home game against them. Tech against UT was playing their 3rd string QB as well, not so when they played Oregon. As for SOS and beating ranked teams, there are still games left to be played and that information can change. But, yes at the end of the day, UT has to win or everything else doesn't matter

Back in the day it was worse....even more of a beauty contest. The bowls controlled who played who to a great extent. This even when there was a clear # 1 and #2. They seldom got to meet. That is why it was so sweet in 69 when Joe PAs undefeated team got no consideration for #1... Of course the whiney little bitch looked past that niggling little fact that he ducked the Cotton Bowl which had #1 Texas...screw him forever...

Inthosedays you needed a strong strength of schedule to get the votes. It is why I always wanted Out to win every game but ours

Sorry, I just disagree. If the committee thought UT was better than Oregon, they would already have them ahead of them. UT beating Oklahoma State does not in my opinion all of a sudden make the committee think that UT is better than Oregon (if Oregon beats Washington). Also, everyone knows that playing in Lubbock at night (especially for the first time) is much different than playing a home game against them. Tech against UT was playing their 3rd string QB as well, not so when they played Oregon. As for SOS and beating ranked teams, there are still games left to be played and that information can change. But, yes at the end of the day, UT has to win or everything else doesn't matter
Yes we absolutely disagree. The CFP rankings each week is merely a snapshot in time. Once the season ends then the committee looks at the body of work for the entire season. That’s why we currently see Ohio State ranked ahead of Texas in the CFP rankings. The weekly rankings are meaningless until all the conference championships are played. Let’s look at it another way. If Michigan wins convincingly and Georgia beats Bama by a touchdown it’s not unrealistic for Georgia to drop below Michigan. Georgia is not automatically the 1 seed with a win.

TBH, I despise the whole CFP model for this exact reason. The best teams are not decided on the field and instead decided by individuals who may or may not be as impartial and independent.

Reactions: freeper
We are having a big boy discussion, you're only argument is that everyone hates Texas. Maybe come up with something that has a bit of analysis to it.
There really is no other argument when they pull unrelated stats for their argument from their backsides. What else is there? They aren't using the required criteria for their arguments.

The problem is that there is no criteria. Just “best teams”. Pretty ridiculous.
Oh, there's criteria. Its just that the criteria changes from year to year, depending on who is in the hunt. I'm still fuming over BU/TCU getting left out because Bob Blowsby wouldn't declare a champion in the conference that advertised one true champion. Now we routinely see teams get in without winning a conference championship.

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. There was no way that tOSU was getting dropped out of the top 6. Maybe it won't matter. But there's no guarantee that you jump tOSU even with a win. What if you squeak out a win in a sloppy turnover filled game? Or God-forbid win while suffering an injury to a key player (see FSU)? Hypothetically, do you think the committee is going to jump a Ewers-less Big 12 champ Texas team over tOSU?

The fact is, tOSU should have been 8th. They are the best football team not playing this weekend, but they aren't playing this weekend, and they shouldn't be ranked ahead of ANY of the 1 loss teams that are still playing.

Reactions: oldhorn2
It's time to use the NFL model. I find the NFL boring but their playoff model leaves no questions. Have the 4 conferences send their champion for a playoff. All the horse trading can be handled in conference playoffs and none of the committees or sportswriters would have any say. Would the NFL teams be up for a committee running their league?

Last edited:
It's time to use the NFL model. I find the NFL boring but their playoff model leaves no questions. Have the 4 conferences send their champion for a playoff. All the horse trading can be handled in conference playoffs and none of the committees or sportswriters would have any say. Would the NFL teams be up for a committee running their league?
This is the one thing I'm looking forward to for the 12 team playoff. The fact that conference champs make it. No politics. No rankings. Win your conference and you get a ticket. Its the best part of the Big Dance. The fact that we don't have that as a requirement for the 4 team playoff just shows how much power the 'big' players have.

This is the one thing I'm looking forward to for the 12 team playoff. The fact that conference champs make it. No politics. No rankings. Win your conference and you get a ticket. Its the best part of the Big Dance. The fact that we don't have that as a requirement for the 4 team playoff just shows how much power the 'big' players have.
I will tell you how the shit 10 is going to continue to screw the other leagues. Their teams will get the best draws and the easiest routes to the final. They do it in every other sport yet suck. They never win national titles. They blow even though they do everything in their power to rig the game.

I will tell you how the shit 10 is going to continue to screw the other leagues. Their teams will get the best draws and the easiest routes to the final. They do it in every other sport yet suck. They never win national titles. They blow even though they do everything in their power to rig the game.
What amazes me about the shit 10 (as you call it) is how they draw $$$ and TV views while displaying the most archaic product in the sport. Slow, plodding offenses that barely know what a forward pass is makes for boring TV.

What amazes me about the shit 10 (as you call it) is how they draw $$$ and TV views while displaying the most archaic product in the sport. Slow, plodding offenses that barely know what a forward pass is makes for boring TV.
Everyone of their freaking games is on TV. And I'm not talking about ESPN+. Surely these prime time games featuring Iowa v. Illinois on NBC don't draw any viewers.

OSU isn't playing next week. This mean no bonus points for them.

OSU isn't playing next week. This mean no bonus points for them.
UT needs to watch a tape of the 2014 Big 10 championship game and learn a lesson. That was the year BU and TCU were duking it out. Going into the championship weekend, TCU was 4, BU 5 (even though we beat TCU) and tOSU was 6. tOSU put the pedal to the metal, and never let up, embarrassing Wisconsin 59-0. Final Poll = tOSU 4, BU 5, TCU 6.

Lesson to learn - take advantage of the last data point, and don't pull the starters no matter how bad the score gets. Sportsmanship will keep you out of the playoff.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
UT needs to watch a tape of the 2014 Big 10 championship game and learn a lesson. That was the year BU and TCU were duking it out. Going into the championship weekend, TCU was 4, BU 5 (even though we beat TCU) and tOSU was 6. tOSU put the pedal to the metal, and never let up, embarrassing Wisconsin 59-0. Final Poll = tOSU 4, BU 5, TCU 6.

Lesson to learn - take advantage of the last data point, and don't pull the starters no matter how bad the score gets. Sportsmanship will keep you out of the playoff.
That data point only matters if it involves a team the committee wants in the playoff. IIRC, TCU won by 50 that same weekend.

After the warm reception the big 12's pimp got last weekend, expect another 150 - 0 yard differential in penalties tomorrow. Oh, and plenty of no calls in favor of stoolwater

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
Rumor going around that FSU will be down to their 3rd string QB Saturday night

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT