ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup

The announcers do talk about it. Turn the sound on.
Yes, there is a replay and they briefly speak about it. I guess what I mean is something like this scenario: A player is obviously flopping. The broadcast booth replays it to get a look and make an apathetic comment "I don't really see where he got kicked". I think most of us feel these time wasting floppers should be called out with a little more intensity. I mean at least a "Come on, give me a break".

Didn’t say it’s a big deal. It’s just something undeniably a bit odd that stands out to a non-fanatic when a fair proportion of dedicated American soccer fans discuss soccer. Why not speak that way all the time, like the Brits (“The Government are proposing...”, etc.)? Why only about soccer?

It kind of reminds me of NPR reporters that say “Mexico” or “Brazil” in the standard anglicized way, but then go full f*ckin’ Pepe Le Pew whenever they get to say any French word. Just...a bit odd.

LOL, I had to go back and look at my post...and sure enough I said "England are..."

Honestly, I had no clue that was a British way of saying that, haha. But you're right...for example...I probably talk about Texas like "Texas is loaded at DB. Really weird...

As far as the names, words, etc. I try to say it the correct way that it is said in there language. The last thing I want to do is sound like a country bumpkin saying a French word...I'll be on a video one day, LOL.

Yes, there is a replay and they briefly speak about it. I guess what I mean is something like this scenario: A player is obviously flopping. The broadcast booth replays it to get a look and make an apathetic comment "I don't really see where he got kicked". I think most of us feel these time wasting floppers should be called out with a little more intensity. I mean at least a "Come on, give me a break".

I think it is inconsequential really to people that watch soccer regularly. It is annoying, but not to the point I want to change the channel.

I find it the same as NBA players not getting called for traveling or a carry...ever, James Harden flopping all over the place, and refs giving preferential treatment to super stars.

I find it the same as NFL/College Football throwing players out for targeting when it is obvious there was no intent. PI calls, holding calls/non calls, etc.

Every sport has problems and things that annoy us as fans. But for some reason, the acting in soccer to try and draw a card/etc. is much more vilified.

Some serious props for you weevilcatch you really know your soccer.

Appreciate that sir! It's what I do now.

I chose baseball over soccer about age 12 and played thru college. Even became a head baseball coach and did a little part time scouting...but now I am a Head Soccer Coach. I absolutely love it!

The game is so incredibly complex. Having coached football, basketball, baseball and soccer I can say that IMO it is the most democratic team sport of them all. It doesn't matter if you're 5-4, or 6-4...fast or slow...muscular or skinny. Players have to rely on communication with each other, their creativity and their problem solving ability to be successful. Having to teach them how to do those things is very difficult, but when they figure it out it is very rewarding.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I think it is inconsequential really to people that watch soccer regularly. It is annoying, but not to the point I want to change the channel.

I find it the same as NBA players not getting called for traveling or a carry...ever, James Harden flopping all over the place, and refs giving preferential treatment to super stars.

I find it the same as NFL/College Football throwing players out for targeting when it is obvious there was no intent. PI calls, holding calls/non calls, etc.

Every sport has problems and things that annoy us as fans. But for some reason, the acting in soccer to try and draw a card/etc. is much more vilified.

In basketball getting a defender to jump and then throwing yourself into them while flinging the ball into the air is as bad as any dive. The shooter initiates the contact every time and half the time the ball isn't even a real shot. But they call it a foul on the defender every time. It's one of the dumbest things in sports in my opinion.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Two clear fouls against Hazard waved off outside the box was pretty surprising and Griezmann is way better at diving than Neymar. Lukaku didn't show up either.

Mbappe, I thought you were better than that. Come on man.

Two clear fouls against Hazard waved off outside the box was pretty surprising and Griezmann is way better at diving than Neymar. Lukaku didn't show up either.

Ya..... that was some bush league sh!t at the end. Dribbling the ball away to burn time. That's how I know I could never played soccer on a competitive level..... you pull sh!t like that on me, Ima get a permaband.

I would love for little Croatia to win but France prolly has the dogs to win it.
Funny side note about Croatia...... these guys were the children that survived Slobodon Milosovich when he was doing his little genocide thing back in the late 90s.

Go Crotia. I think England’s ugly white uniforms lost it for them.

Go Croatia. I'm want them to win, but am really glad that the the World Cup is over on Sunday.

Glad? I'm not the biggest tennis fan but I've never thought to myself I'm glad Wimbledon is ending...

Haters gonna hate.

Just tired of seeing it on TV in sports bars, etc. To each their own though...
I guess once every four years ain't THAT bad but what's going to be stupid is when Fox tries to parlay the world cup matches with MLS matches in hopes that you will stay interested and they can score some cheap ratings.

They will fail..... miserably.

I guess once every four years ain't THAT bad but what's going to be stupid is when Fox tries to parlay the world cup matches with MLS matches in hopes that you will stay interested and they can score some cheap ratings.

Yep. I don't care if other people like soccer, but I don't get what is even remotely exciting about it. I'm sure that it will continue to be forced down Americans throats as time moves forward though. They can try to sell it all they want, but I ain't buying.

I was wondering about the dollars involved for TV rights. The game is broadcast uninterrupted except at halftime. I know gametime commercials aren't the only source of revenue, but, the superbowl ads sure make a lot of cash.

I'm sure that it will continue to be forced down Americans throats as time moves forward though.

I've been to a few bars as well as work at a brewery during the weekends and I have "Americans" asking for the channel to be changed to the games. Maybe it's just Houston but we have a very diverse city.

I've been to a few bars as well as work at a brewery during the weekends and I have "Americans" asking for the channel to be changed to the games. Maybe it's just Houston but we have a very diverse city.

Watching the hi end soccer (EPL) and a couple others is not too bad. The problem being that there are sooo many leagues and so many players. I can't keep up with all of it.

What concerns me is the NFL is in trouble. I thought the CTE issues would be the downfall but the protest issues may do it in before the CTE stuff works it's way through the system. The owners are realizing the damage now.... season ticket renewals are abysmal and the players still want to do their protest thang. This year is going to be interesting. I do enjoy looking at all the empty stadiums while these guys still play football. Do any of them equate ticket sales, concession sales, tv ratings with a paycheck?

Reactions: LonghornMM

Both referees in the SF were absolute shit. The AR on the top side of the field from the camera should go back to 12u soccer. Absolutely criminal.

In basketball getting a defender to jump and then throwing yourself into them while flinging the ball into the air is as bad as any dive. The shooter initiates the contact every time and half the time the ball isn't even a real shot. But they call it a foul on the defender every time. It's one of the dumbest things in sports in my opinion.

Exactly...and it is considered a "great" play and lauded by commentators and fans. People say it is "smart" because they get to go shoot free throws. But a soccer player feels a nudge, goes down, wins a free kick in a dangerous area it is "annoying" and "why I don't like soccer"

Rather ironic, but it is what it is.

Yeah, soccer is going away...ever. I don't see it ever being the #1 sport here, but those like me who enjoy ALL sport are growing in number. Of course people will still have their favorite, but watching marquee games of soccer here will continue to grow.

Watching the hi end soccer (EPL) and a couple others is not too bad. The problem being that there are sooo many leagues and so many players. I can't keep up with all of it.

What concerns me is the NFL is in trouble. I thought the CTE issues would be the downfall but the protest issues may do it in before the CTE stuff works it's way through the system. The owners are realizing the damage now.... season ticket renewals are abysmal and the players still want to do their protest thang. This year is going to be interesting. I do enjoy looking at all the empty stadiums while these guys still play football. Do any of them equate ticket sales, concession sales, tv ratings with a paycheck?

They'd rather be social warriors than warriors of the gridiron I guess. "Cut off your nose to spite your face" I don't guess they've ever heard of that, or just don't understand what it means.

I would love for little Croatia to win but France prolly has the dogs to win it.

That and Croatia have played one extra game than France (with the three ET games vs. Denmark, Russia and England) and have one less day of recovery.

Modric has taken his game to another level these past two knockout games which is incredible because he is already so good.

Modric is the Golden Ball winner for me, no matter what happens in the final. He has been incredible.

Golden Ball - Modric
Golden Boot - Kane
GK - Courtois (probably give it to LLoris or Subasic)
Young player - M'bappe

Yep. I don't care if other people like soccer, but I don't get what is even remotely exciting about it. I'm sure that it will continue to be forced down Americans throats as time moves forward though. They can try to sell it all they want, but I ain't buying.

And honestly don't blame you for not buying. Boring is relative, and like I've said many times, there are people that will watch all 162 games of their teams baseball season.

Lawd hab merthy.

There have been Super Bowls I didn't watch because they were boring. There are Monday Nigh Football and Sunday Night Football games I don't watch because it is two shit teams. I didn't watch Alabama-LSU national championship because watching teams hand off and get stuffed, then throw a pass into the training staff and off the water jugs is boring. The 1st 3 quarters of a basketball game in January is boring.

Point being, I'm not tuning in to watch Browns-Bengals on a Sunday afternoon. I'm not tuning in at 11am to watch Illinois-Purdue in October. I'm not watching Lakers-Warriors in early November. I'm not watching Orioles-Blue Jays coming up. But I'll watch marquee games, and I'm certainly going to watch most of playoffs, etc.

As far as the WC MM, the excitement comes from watching players represent their country with passion and zeal. You can see how much it means to the players and fans. The players compete for their people, and I find that incredible. The drama that unfolds from a sport where physical prowess is secondary to the ability to communicate, analyze and think leaves it open for anything to happen. You can get dominated (Russia vs. Spain) and still believe you have a chance, that has great appeal to many.

Reactions: LonghornMM

This already happened... after the World Cup in 1994. Since MLS started we've had several World Cups and MLS has continued to grow.

MLS games are already broadcast nationally and have been for years. In Seattle and Atlanta they are regularly filling up their NFL stadiums.

Guys. Soccer is here and isnt going anywhere. Champions League games fill bars at 2pm and the Euro Championships will do the same in 2 years. I just dont get the hate. Especially during the slowest time of the year for sports when its the middle of baseball season.

It's like some weird repressed jealousy. There have been plenty of exciting and intense games this world cup and the insistent denial of that by some here is just perplexing. Soccer isnt going to take away the NFL or the NBA or MLB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT