ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup

At this point, Russia and Croatia are your big underdogs. To a lesser extent England and Sweden are dogs too. It's too bad France and Brazil are on the same side of the bracket. I think France and Brazil are the 2 best teams at the moment.

Belgium by far is the most complete team. Two World Class keepers. Loaded in the back. Defensive and attacking mids. Wingers with pace and crossing ability. And Lukaku. Nobody else has all of that.

Belgium by far is the most complete team. Two World Class keepers. Loaded in the back. Defensive and attacking mids. Wingers with pace and crossing ability. And Lukaku. Nobody else has all of that.

France is young. They looked solid against Argentina. Belgium hasn't looked good.... almost got ousted by Japan.

France is young. They looked solid against Argentina. Belgium hasn't looked good.... almost got ousted by Japan.

Japan are incredibly underrated.

I'd argue that Belgium have looked the best from game 1 till now of any team. They are 4-0 with a +9 GD and despite Japan sneaking out to a 2-0 lead, Belgium were in control of that game.

France beat Australia on an own goal, struggled to finish against Peru and played maybe the most boring game of the entire tournament vs. Denmark. Plus they gave up 3 goals to Argentina.

Having said that, I'd give Brazil the slight edge over Belgium despite Brazil missing Casemiro.

My rankings to win this thing from here...

Brazil
- They have Neymar, Willian and Coutinho. Despite my feelings about Belgium being the most "complete" team, their top 3 I don't rate as high as those three. Lukaku, Hazard, De Bruyne are close though.

Belgium
- I think they need to make a few changes to beat Brazil. Fellaini in for Mertens, Chadli for Carrasco, and Vermaelen (if healthy) for Vertonghen. Fellaini can get forward with Witsel in there to disrupt the middle for Brazil. Belgium have the edge in the middle with Casemiro out, Brazil have the edge on the wings. Should be entertaining!

England
- For me, the fastest team in the Cup. They finally broke their PK curse and surely these young kids now believe they can win it all! Sweden will be a tough matchup, but unlike Switzerland, England have a target forward to give Granqvist trouble.

France
- I put them below England only because they will have a more difficult semi-final (on paper). Their most dynamic player is 20 years old and I don't trust Lloris at all. For me, France have the best LB in the world (now that Marcelo is hurt) but Griezmann and Giroud are underperforming.

Croatia
- Maybe the best and deepest central midfield in the entire tournament. Kovacic has been coming off the bench and he might be their 2nd best MF overall. Subasic seems to be in a zone in goal and their wingers are very dangerous. I'm not a fan of Mandzukic.

Russia
Sweden
Uruguay

I don't see Russia beating Croatia. Russia will drop in and defend, but if this goes extra time again they will simply just be gassed.

Sweden get Larsson back which will help control the MF, but England are the fastest team they will have played yet. Sweden won't be able to out muscle England (McGuire, Kane, Henderson, etc.) like they did Switzerland and Mexico.

I don't see anyway in the world Uruguay make it through France, Brazil/Belgium winner and then have enough left to win the WC Final...especially with Cavani being hobbled.

Props to the French. Their parisian populace sucks balls, they can't fight wars for sh!t, the women don't have big boobs, but their cheese is awesome and they seem to be decent at soccer.
Now, we have the Brazilian hotties coming up against beer and waffles. Looking forward to seeing some Brazilian bikinis during this match.

France-Uruguay

Uruguay were just overmatched, especially without Cavani. Suarez had to play out of position and I don't remember one legitimate chance he created or shot he took. Not a recipe for success for Uruguay. And the error by Muslera...smh. Just wasn't their day.

Griezmann easily played his best game of the tournament so far and if he is heating up then look out! Pogba is a mystery man...he is so hot and cold it is crazy. Tolisso got the start today and was fantastic!

Brazil-Belgium

Brazil met a 6-5 keeper that was on today! I still don't understand what in the hell Tite was thinking by taking off Willian instead of Fagner. You're down by 2, what in the world do you need 4 in the back for? Especially when it is obvious your weakest player is Fagner.

Belgium showed their depth today. De Bruyne played arguably his best game. And the unselfishness from Lukaku is greatness. Just amazing that they beat Brazil 2-1 and had Mertens, Vermaelen, Carrasco, Januzaj, Dembele, Batshuayi and Boyata on the bench. They are just loaded.

Brazil still had several chances to score, some right in their lap, and couldn't finish. The second half they came at Belgium and probably should have scored the equalizer at least twice but just came out empty.

Brazil and Belgium easily could have been the final. A shame they met in the quarterfinals.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Brazil still had several chances to score, some right in their lap, and couldn't finish. The second half they came at Belgium and probably should have scored the equalizer at least twice but just came out empty.

Brazil and Belgium easily could have been the final. A shame they met in the quarterfinals.

That save on Neymar near the end by Courtois was sick.

Japan are incredibly underrated.

I'd argue that Belgium have looked the best from game 1 till now of any team. They are 4-0 with a +9 GD and despite Japan sneaking out to a 2-0 lead, Belgium were in control of that game.

France beat Australia on an own goal, struggled to finish against Peru and played maybe the most boring game of the entire tournament vs. Denmark. Plus they gave up 3 goals to Argentina.

Having said that, I'd give Brazil the slight edge over Belgium despite Brazil missing Casemiro.

My rankings to win this thing from here...

Brazil
- They have Neymar, Willian and Coutinho. Despite my feelings about Belgium being the most "complete" team, their top 3 I don't rate as high as those three. Lukaku, Hazard, De Bruyne are close though.

Belgium
- I think they need to make a few changes to beat Brazil. Fellaini in for Mertens, Chadli for Carrasco, and Vermaelen (if healthy) for Vertonghen. Fellaini can get forward with Witsel in there to disrupt the middle for Brazil. Belgium have the edge in the middle with Casemiro out, Brazil have the edge on the wings. Should be entertaining!

England
- For me, the fastest team in the Cup. They finally broke their PK curse and surely these young kids now believe they can win it all! Sweden will be a tough matchup, but unlike Switzerland, England have a target forward to give Granqvist trouble.

France
- I put them below England only because they will have a more difficult semi-final (on paper). Their most dynamic player is 20 years old and I don't trust Lloris at all. For me, France have the best LB in the world (now that Marcelo is hurt) but Griezmann and Giroud are underperforming.

Croatia
- Maybe the best and deepest central midfield in the entire tournament. Kovacic has been coming off the bench and he might be their 2nd best MF overall. Subasic seems to be in a zone in goal and their wingers are very dangerous. I'm not a fan of Mandzukic.

Russia
Sweden
Uruguay

I don't see Russia beating Croatia. Russia will drop in and defend, but if this goes extra time again they will simply just be gassed.

Sweden get Larsson back which will help control the MF, but England are the fastest team they will have played yet. Sweden won't be able to out muscle England (McGuire, Kane, Henderson, etc.) like they did Switzerland and Mexico.

I don't see anyway in the world Uruguay make it through France, Brazil/Belgium winner and then have enough left to win the WC Final...especially with Cavani being hobbled.

Some serious props for you weevilcatch you really know your soccer.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Some serious props for you weevilcatch you really know your soccer.

Indeed.

One gripe from me, though, and maybe a true soccer fanatic can lend some insight. Why do so many American soccer fans feel the need to adopt British grammatical conventions (“England are...”) when talking about soccer? What about soccer specifically mandates giving up American conventions of subject-verb agreement and adopting the British practice? Makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
Indeed.

One gripe from me, though, and maybe a true soccer fanatic can lend some insight. Why do so many American soccer fans feel the need to adopt British grammatical conventions (“England are...”) when talking about soccer? What about soccer specifically mandates giving up American conventions of subject-verb agreement and adopting the British practice? Makes absolutely no sense.

Never thought about this. Dont think it's a big deal. Not sure theres a mandate at all.

Didn’t say it’s a big deal. It’s just something undeniably a bit odd that stands out to a non-fanatic when a fair proportion of dedicated American soccer fans discuss soccer. Why not speak that way all the time, like the Brits (“The Government are proposing...”, etc.)? Why only about soccer?

It kind of reminds me of NPR reporters that say “Mexico” or “Brazil” in the standard anglicized way, but then go full f*ckin’ Pepe Le Pew whenever they get to say any French word. Just...a bit odd.

I've noticed it as well. Come to think of it, every time I've been to a game with my friends that live in England, they always correct me when I say sh!t. Examples:

"What time does the game start?" -------'
"It's not a game, mate, it's a match..."

"Why are all these pu$$ies lying around on the field hurt?"
"It's not a field mate. It's a pitch..."-----
"No, a pitch is what Roger Clemens throws at your head when you're crowding the plate..."

"Congratulations! Your team won two to nothing!"
"It's not a team, it's a club. And we won two - nill...."

"Damn, how does your kicker curve that ball on corner kicks??"
"He's a striker, and it's called bend... not curve.."

Didn’t say it’s a big deal. It’s just something undeniably a bit odd that stands out to a non-fanatic when a fair proportion of dedicated American soccer fans discuss soccer. Why not speak that way all the time, like the Brits (“The Government are proposing...”, etc.)? Why only about soccer?

It kind of reminds me of NPR reporters that say “Mexico” or “Brazil” in the standard anglicized way, but then go full f*ckin’ Pepe Le Pew whenever they get to say any French word. Just...a bit odd.

Nah, I'll take the Me"j"icanas. Those of Europe are too tall for my short 5'8 stature. :) (Neanderthal was wrong word)

6ea1ca3ee14220cfd3ced6674a3ca275--soccer-fans-mom-style.jpg
descarga-11-1.png
Viernes-de-Chica-Extrema-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldmanastro
Croatia to the semis. Glad the Russians finally lost.

Anyone but the French, please.
I think England vs france would be fun as hell. They straight up hate each other. The English were taunting the Sweden fans by chanting songs like "Your team is sh!t but your birds are fit...." in reference to how hot the Swedish women are..... can you imagine the sh!t they'll say about france?

I've noticed it as well. Come to think of it, every time I've been to a game with my friends that live in England, they always correct me when I say sh!t. Examples:

"No, a pitch is what Roger Clemens throws at your head when you're crowding the plate..."

And fries are chips and chips are crisps. Who cares?

Begium takes down Brazil. I was able to catch the last 20 minutes of that game. It annoys me that even the announcers don't speak up to the fake injuries. I know the acting has become a part of the game on the field, but at least the announcers could be honest and call them out.

Begium takes down Brazil. I was able to catch the last 20 minutes of that game. It annoys me that even the announcers don't speak up to the fake injuries. I know the acting has become a part of the game on the field, but at least the announcers could be honest and call them out.
The general public is doing that for them. Just Google "neymar video" and start laughing.

The announcers do talk about it. Turn the sound on.

Are those friends Brits or Americans living in England?

ADVERTISEMENT