ADVERTISEMENT

Outhereincali - Did you see the SI/Shawn Oakman Article?

diadevic

May 4, 2006
Maybe I recall incorrectly, but I believe you stated a couple of months ago that Oakman, the BU DE, didn't have much production for the hype. This week's SI agrees. The article was about his pro prospects. That was the harshest article I have ever seen written in SI about a college athlete. Basically, he's all hype, shouldn't go in the first round. Paragraph after paragraph! I pity the Kansas tackle that has to go against him this week!

Maybe I recall incorrectly, but I believe you stated a couple of months ago that Oakman, the BU DE, didn't have much production for the hype. This week's SI agrees. The article was about his pro prospects. That was the harshest article I have ever seen written in SI about a college athlete. Basically, he's all hype, shouldn't go in the first round. Paragraph after paragraph! I pity the Kansas tackle that has to go against him this week!

He was completely owned by Texas Tech's Laraven Clark. Of course, Clark is one of the best offensive lineman in the country. Oakman hasn't produced a lot at the college level to be honest, but with his physical talents he will still get drafted somewhat high I think.

diadevic I did indeed say that I was not totally sold on Oakman. I was not impressed with the way he played against TT but as the above poster said Laraven Clark will be playing on Sunday. The four teams in the Big XII are the OK schools, Baylor, and TCU. They all play each other in Nov. Baylor will play all three in succession. This should indicate just what kind of talent he really has. But as I've said all along the kid is a physical specimen. I've seen his video of him working out for the NFL scouts how can you not be impressed?

Hey diadevic how does it feel to be ranked number three? This is uncharted territory for Baylor fb.
TCU number two and Baylor number three. This is the first time in the history of the state of Texas that this has happened :)

Fascinating article. Like you i cant recal ever reading a feature piece on a player at any level that spent 3 pages ripping the guy and using plays from games to prove their point.

Reactions: diadevic
He has no first step. No "get off". He's built like a Greek Adonis but he doesn't have the intangibles yet. Strong as an ox, ripped to shreds, could probably finish in the top 5 at Mr. Olympia, but he doesn't have that nasty attitude. He gets high on his pass rush. Yes, he's 6'7 and a tall guy, but he can't seem to get low. Again, total physical specimen, and with the proper coaching he can be a total freak, but he's not THAT freak yet.

Honestly, he needs to spend about 6 months firing off under the chutes to learn to keep his down. Once he does that, with those long arms, he'll learn to push off and either hump, jerk, swim, bull, or separate from the O lineman and get a true pass rush. Until then, he's just relying on his size and God given ability to make plays.

If that's what takes to finally light a fire under this kid, to get him to play with that nasty attitude clob mentioned then he will be dangerous.

Fascinating article. Like you i cant recal ever reading a feature piece on a player at any level that spent 3 pages ripping the guy and using plays from games to prove their point.
Hey, I agree with everyone on here. He has tremendous potential, but in the games you barely notice him. His biggest contribution is intimidation on the coin flip. But ... SI took a dangerous step. They spent a whole article completely shredding the guy. Never seen that in SI. Maybe it will light a fire under him. But he is still a college kid --- SI was off base here.

Outhereincali - I have to admit - my home life was a little happier when Baylor sucked. Stress Free autumn Saturdays. Even last week against Tech, up 49-21 at half - I was pacing at Jerry World, just waiting for the D to crumble. Just trying to enjoy the ride!

Hey, I agree with everyone on here. He has tremendous potential, but in the games you barely notice him. His biggest contribution is intimidation on the coin flip. But ... SI took a dangerous step. They spent a whole article completely shredding the guy. Never seen that in SI. Maybe it will light a fire under him. But he is still a college kid --- SI was off base here.

Outhereincali - I have to admit - my home life was a little happier when Baylor sucked. Stress Free autumn Saturdays. Even last week against Tech, up 49-21 at half - I was pacing at Jerry World, just waiting for the D to crumble. Just trying to enjoy the ride!

The USofA finally has diplomatic relations with Fidel Castro's Cuba. Who'd have thought that would have happened?

Well we may not have put a man on Pluto but by golly we have pictures that there really is a planet Pluto. Who'd have thought that would have happened?

TCU is ranked number two and Baylor is number three. I never thought that would have happened.

If both teams are undefeated on Nov 27th and tOSU losses just one game then it will be number one ranked TCU vs number two Baylor. Nobody thought would have happened.

But seriously pal congrats. It doesn't last forever and be grateful when it does happen enjoy the ride diadevic.

Reactions: diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT