ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman Offense?

dtrain87

Oct 5, 2016
The QBs in the Urban Meyer offense are usually super men types. Smith, Tebow, Prescott, Barrett... ward at UH is the exception because he was inherited and they are not gonna use him like Braxton Miller, so they adjusted. If Herman comes to UT, the QB position is gonna look drastically different. They are gonna recruit DUAL threat QBs that are legit runners and passers, big athletic kids.

he was only at Ohio for 2 years and you do know that Applewhite is the OC at Houston ? right ? and Herman was with Applewhite in 2000 so do not think that Herman automatically wants that type of QB. If he brings in Applewhite then Shane is the perfect QB for them because shane can run and pass. I hope Applewhite would get Houston and he would retain gilbert. Now if you were a horn...u would have known all of this.

he was only at Ohio for 2 years and you do know that Applewhite is the OC at Houston ? right ? and Herman was with Applewhite in 2000 so do not think that Herman automatically wants that type of QB. If he brings in Applewhite then Shane is the perfect QB for them because shane can run and pass. I hope Applewhite would get Houston and he would retain gilbert. Now if you were a horn...u would have known all of this.
He's not big and durable enough to rush the ball 15-25 times, like the Meyer ask the QB to do sometime. They don't run the Gilbert offense. That is the "cooks in the kitchen" part that brings UT down. Why would he retain Gilbert? Herman is an offensive minded guy and has his own offense.

Maybe Herman will tweak his offense to the players that he has? If he is a good coach this would not be a problem.

There is a better chance Herman keeps the DC than the OC. Sorry, I forgot Bedford was the DC. No chance he keeps either.
You don't hire an offensive guru, just to run someone else's offense. I bet he fires every assistant, got to burn it down to start fresh.

No, but a true offensive guru has no problem teaching his offense to another guru and being open minded enough to listen to suggestions about tweeks.

yall do realize tha Mack was an offensive guru...and we got bubble screens but not the wishbone.

yall do realize tha Mack was an offensive guru...and we got bubble screens but not the wishbone.
you mean greg davis ?

186496423.jpg

He's not big and durable enough to rush the ball 15-25 times, like the Meyer ask the QB to do sometime. They don't run the Gilbert offense. That is the "cooks in the kitchen" part that brings UT down. Why would he retain Gilbert? Herman is an offensive minded guy and has his own offense.
Gilbert may actually trade spaces and go to Houston. He does have Houston roots and had a positive experience there.

I never get my way in these things (go figure), but I'd like to keep Traylor and Maddox. But if I had to choose one, I'd keep Traylor, his recruiting ability is off the charts.

Gilbert runs a spread option offense, Herman runs a spread option offense. More similar than different.

If it's Herman I would guess he's bringing Applewhite with him, not that him and Gilbert couldn't mesh, but coaches generally dance with the ones who brought them.

Pretty strong chance both Bedford and Gilbert are looking for jobs in a couple of months. Gilbert is thinking of the rest of the season as a resume, and Bedford is filling out applications to Best Buy. If anyone is going to be retained, it will likely just be a position coach or two for recruiting continuity. Very doubtful that the coordinators stay regardless of who is hired.

Mack was the best OC Barry Switzer ever had....at least according to Barry Switzer

I agree that Traylor can flat out recruit....but he is supposed to be the special teams coach....and for that he flat out sucks.

Mack was the best OC Barry Switzer ever had....at least according to Barry Switzer

I agree that Traylor can flat out recruit....but he is supposed to be the special teams coach....and for that he flat out sucks.
That must have been one of the least talented OU teams ever. 1984 OU was still in their down period in early 80s and experimented with I-formation.

Traylor is listed as tight ends and special teams coach.

I'm thinking it's a good thing he can recruit.
I honestly believe the only reason he is on staff is for his recruiting, and the fact that he has connections with virtually every high school coach in the state. I would venture to say that he has little do with the actual day to day coaching that goes on.

Houston usually promotes from within when they lose their HC. Wouldn't be stunned if major gets his HC shot there and replaces Herrman a

He don't run the OSU offense, which is not hurry-up all the time and which features heavy zone read running by QB.

It's not the zone read because the line isn't zone blocking. Both offenses use a Tight end in most formations and the option looks are veer (RB dives) or inverted veer (QB dives). They run all the QB stuff out of the 18 wheeler. Veer, Inverted Veer, QB power, QB counter and Counter option. They Run the veer with Shane but he only pulls it when the end crashes super hard on Foreman.

I would venture to say that he has little do with the actual day to day coaching that goes on.

watching our special teams play...or trying to play, I absolutely agree he has little to do with actual coaching.

Texas coach Tom Herman: "I have not watched one snap of film from last year's season, nor will I. There are no starters. This is a meritocracy."

Texas coach Tom Herman says he needs a run threat at QB. Returning starter Shane Buechele doesn't totally fit that label, but that's OK. Just needs to execute and hit singles and doubles in the run game, not home runs. "For our offense to work, you don't have to be Braxton Miller or Michael Vick."

Today's presser.

A few quick notes-
facilities update
football only sports nutritionist
we will be entering into the QC/consultant staffing wars
He will coach the punt team as he considers it the third most important facet after S&C and defense,

mikefinger: Herman: "I've been told 'yes' to everything I've asked for around here." Planning renovations, additions of analysts and support staff, etc.
Locker room, weight room, support staff. Areas we were deficient in.
BDavisAAS: Herman says he's hiring a ton of support staff. "We’re going to get an army down there just like the rest of the big boys out there."
kbohls: Herman intimated he's hiring "an army" of support staff to equal what the Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States are doing. Even graphic artist.
BDavisAAS: Tom Herman: "I don’t get to coach a position anymore. My job is to coach coaches and to disseminate our culture."
BDavisAAS: Herman: "This is not Tom Herman's offense, not Tim Beck's offense, not Ohio State's offense. It will be the University of Texas' offense."
BDavisAAS: Herman says he got who he wanted. "I tell people all the time that coaches and players win games and administrations win championships."
kbohls: Herman said Tim Beck will call the plays with suggestions from Herman during and in between series.
mikefinger: Herman said administration authorized him to hire whichever assistant he wanted. Chose guys he knew, because, of course, "alignment."
JeffHowe247: Herman believes the two most important hires a head coach makes are his strength coach and his defensive coordinator. #HookEm
BDavisAAS: Texas coach Tom Herman: "We’re going to play a tremendous defense around here."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT