ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Texas should make the CFP this season...)

I remember back in Mack's day after the 1st junior day we got 7 to 10 commits that was great until Mack got lazy & started taking kids that said yes to his pitch even though they were not top 20 recruits. I believe that is what led to Mack's downfall at UT he got lazy in everything recruiting coaching letting assistants have to much control.
You look at Alabama & Saban & that man never let his foot off the gas he was driven to be the best I still can't believe Mack let UT fall off completely I mean we went 5 & 7 right after being in championship game

I remember back in Mack's day after the 1st junior day we got 7 to 10 commits that was great until Mack got lazy & started taking kids that said yes to his pitch even though they were not top 20 recruits. I believe that is what led to Mack's downfall at UT he got lazy in everything recruiting coaching letting assistants have to much control.
You look at Alabama & Saban & that man never let his foot off the gas he was driven to be the best I still can't believe Mack let UT fall off completely I mean we went 5 & 7 right after being in championship game
Mack loved the word "yes".

@Ketchum I was confused on this part...

Gus Cordova?

(Sell) Not for me. I'm all for second chances (in time), but a scholarship at Texas represents a first chance.

Are we talking about the 2025 DE from Lake Travis? Did something go awry that I completely missed previously?

@Ketchum I was confused on this part...

(Sell) Not for me. I'm all for second chances (in time), but a scholarship at Texas represents a first chance.

Are we talking about the 2025 DE from Lake Travis? Did something go awry that I completely missed previously?
He was offered by Texas this weekend.

F1VjvI0WAAQ_Pcu
aggy needs to drop off this list entirely

Mack’s best string of recruiting was 2010-12. Those were high rated recruits, not just a first come first serve. Lack of developing, lack of game planning, lack of a sense of urgency. That was the downfall.

Mack’s best string of recruiting was 2010-12. Those were high rated recruits, not just a first come first serve. Lack of developing, lack of game planning, lack of a sense of urgency. That was the downfall.
1999-2002

1999-2002

Don’t have data back pre-2002. I will say the 2010-2012 were loaded with wasted talent. No developing, horrible records and ZERO in the draft in 2014. The gap between superblue recruits and performance is largest with this group.

Don’t have data back pre-2002. I will say the 2010-2012 were loaded with wasted talent. No developing, horrible records and ZERO in the draft in 2014. The gap between superblue recruits and performance is largest with this group.
Three 5 star quarterbacks in a 4 year window.

Mack was fearless and had fire in the belly.

No NIL, either.

Reactions: HornDeutsch
If anyone remembers, the greatest use of “In the Air Tonight” was on an episode of Miami Vice. I’ll never forget that.
I remember that scene and episode. That scene and music combo is great, but in my opinion surpassed by the scene where Zito is killed in the shower after the boxing match with Steve Windwood's "The River" in the background. Miami Vice had great actors (before they were prime time) and music flow through that show.

You’re setting the expectations for 2024 too high IMO, but I suppose you’re an optimist.

I’m not saying the Longhorns will be bad but there’s a lot of unknowns heading into 2024:
- Can Ewers really progress more and mesh with all the new offensive receivers in less than one season?
- Will Ewers stay healthy all season, particularly in October?
- What impact will losing the DTs have on our run D heading into the SEC, which generally plays more smash mouth football (unlike the Big 12 spread offenses)?
- Even if the Longhorns match the talent we had last year, how will this year’s schedule (both OOC and conference) change the win column in 2024?

I’ll be happy if this team overachieves and makes the CFP, but realistically I’m looking ahead to the peak in 2025/2026.

Hook ‘em Horns!
Name me the SEC schools that play “smash mouth” football now? That era passed 10 years ago.

You are waaay over concerned about our DTs. Do we need a couple of our young guys to develop and 1-2 portal for depth? Sure, and I expect both to happen. Going into this past season, no one thought Sweat and Murphy would be special…NO ONE. Everyone expected our run defense to be our weakness.

Finally, pay attention to the talent throughout this team coming back or being added. As Ketch basically laid out, it’s the best since the mid 2000s. The SEC is not going to crush us. Sark has prepped very well for this. Could we lose multiple games? Sure, but we will be favorites or a pick’em against every opponent except Georgia. Embrace it! Good times ahead.

Reactions: boernefan
I

I hope not, but there’s zero guarantee of that.

Barring something miraculous in the transfer portal upcoming, we’re losing our defense’s greatest strength. Run D. Not a good thing to lose heading into the SEC where most play smash mouth football.

How quickly will Ewers, or even Arch, mesh with all these new receivers? We play Michigan week 2…

We no longer have a soft Big 12 schedule. October will be much tougher than last season.

I’ll be happy with the Longhorns finishing with only 3 losses. If they do better than that, job well done overachieving.

Doubtful we beat Georgia.
Doubtful we beat Michigan at the Big House week 2, with all the new players on offense, and the run D missing.

That’s 2 losses. Add one more mulligan that inevitably happens. That’s 3 losses. I get we’re coming off a CFP berth, but there’s zero guarantee we’ll have the same success in 2024, our first year in the SEC.

I do like the way we’re trending, and the peak will be the 2025/2026 seasons
See my response to your first post to Ketch.

There’s never a guarantee, ever, but…

You are overreacting to the DT situation. Every other position (except MLB) improves and improves drastically. DTs don’t have to be dominant. Hell, when we needed them the most this past year against ou and Washington, they fizzled. They just need to plug the holes, the edge rushers need to get to the QB more, and the DBs need to make more plays on the ball. I expect all of that to happen.

Michigan will be a shell of their team this year. That and I expect Harbaugh is gone. The Big House isn’t that daunting a place to play.

Ewers and the WRs will click. Plus, the WR talent is gonna be better than this year, incredible as that sounds. But even so, this team is going to dominate in the run game…you do realize we have 7 of our top 8 OL returning, and two 5ish-star RBs returning that both showed that talent by season’s end.

I do expect Quinn to get dinged up, but when he does I’m damn sure Arch will play much better than Maalik did.

Stop overrating the SEC! Yes, Georgia will be tough, but of the remaining 7 conference opponents, 5 are predicted to finish towards the bottom of the conference.

Concerning our rivals, we will pile drive ou and Arky this time. aggy is the one that will be tough.

Bottom line is this…we’ll have the 2nd or 3rd most talented team in the SEC, we have 14 returning starters (19 if you count the portal guys who were starters for their teams last season. No one else will have close to that), a 3rd year returning QB, and will be ranked in the Top 5 to start the season. Saying this team is “overachieving” if it goes 9-3 and makes the CFP next year is naive.

Frankly, whatever our record is, not making the 12 team CFP would be grossly underachieving and a huge step back.

Last edited:
Reactions: boernefan
See my response to your first post to Ketch.

There’s never a guarantee, ever, but…

You are overreacting to the DT situation. Every other position (except MLB) improves and improves drastically. DTs don’t have to be dominant. Hell, when we needed them the most this past year against ou and Washington, they fizzled. They just need to plug the holes, the edge rushers need to get to the QB more, and the DBs need to make more plays on the ball. I expect all of that to happen.

Michigan will be a shell of their team this year. That and I expect Harbaugh is gone. The Big House isn’t that daunting a place to play.

Ewers and the WRs will click. Plus, the WR talent is gonna be better than this year, incredible as that sounds. But even so, this team is going to dominate in the run game…you do realize we have 7 of our top 8 OL returning, and two 5ish-star RBs returning that both showed that talent by season’s end.

I do expect Quinn to get dinged up, but when he does I’m damn sure Arch will play much better than Maalik did.

Stop overrating the SEC! Yes, Georgia will be tough, but of the remaining 7 conference opponents, 5 are predicted to finish towards the bottom of the conference.

Concerning our rivals, we will pile drive ou and Arky this time. aggy is the one that will be tough.

Bottom line is this…we’ll have the 2nd or 3rd most talented team in the SEC, we have 14 returning starters (19 if you count the portal guys who were starters for their teams last season. No one else will have close to that), a 3rd year returning QB, and will be ranked in the Top 5 to start the season. Saying this team is “overachieving” if it goes 9-3 and makes the CFP next year is naive.

Frankly, whatever our record is, not making the 12 team CFP would be grossly underachieving and a huge step back.
Very well said in your two posts.
Thanks for organizing your thoughts for us.

Name me the SEC schools that play “smash mouth” football now? That era passed 10 years ago.

You are waaay over concerned about our DTs. Do we need a couple of our young guys to develop and 1-2 portal for depth? Sure, and I expect both to happen. Going into this past season, no one thought Sweat and Murphy would be special…NO ONE. Everyone expected our run defense to be our weakness.

Finally, pay attention to the talent throughout this team coming back or being added. As Ketch basically laid out, it’s the best since the mid 2000s. The SEC is not going to crush us. Sark has prepped very well for this. Could we lose multiple games? Sure, but we will be favorites or a pick’em against every opponent except Georgia. Embrace it! Good times ahead.
The roster is loaded. Full stop.

Yet Purdy won the division and took down the cowboys and eagles this year. It’s hilarious the hate Purdy is getting all of a sudden
I don't hate the guy at all. I just question him. It's not the same thing at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT